ADVERTISEMENT

Yet again

Someone who knows about these types of things should start a petition to get rid of Barta once and for all. That should be followed by Prez Herald and then the rest of the useless athletic department. Complete incompetence by those in power, with the only goal being to cover their own asses. Reminds me of executive leadership at every company I have ever worked for. Pathetic excuses for leaders and humans.

If there really is a credible sexual assault allegation, goddamn right.

Shoot, I might not attend another Iowa game again until he's gone if it is indeed true he tried to sweep it under the rug.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
If there really is a credible sexual assault allegation, goddamn right.

Shoot, I might not attend another Iowa game again until he's gone if it is indeed true he tried to sweep it under the rug.
He isn't sweeping anything criminal under the rug. Who the hell do you think he is? It's just out of his hands as far as the athletic department goes because the offenders are not under the AD. This is now a civil/criminal matter. Better that he and Pollard recuse themselves from the individual investigations and just work to make it safer in the future.

He isn't sweeping anything criminal under the rug. Who the hell do you think he is? It's just out of his hands as far as the athletic department goes because the offenders are not under the AD. This is now a civil/criminal matter. Better that he and Pollard recuse themselves from the individual investigations and just work to make it safer in the future.

I'm reserving judgment until all the facts come out. But if what is being reported turns out to be true, yeah, that's a problem for me. If it were my daughter, someone would be getting physically hurt.

I'm reserving judgment until all the facts come out. But if what is being reported turns out to be true, yeah, that's a problem for me. If it were my daughter, someone would be getting physically hurt.
Barta can do nothing about an Iowa State student molesting a band member other than what he's done. What's he supposed to do, pick a fight with Pollard over it? Get real.

Barta can do nothing about an Iowa State student molesting a band member other than what he's done. What's he supposed to do, pick a fight with Pollard over it? Get real.

Like I said, it depends if he purposely tried to sweep this under the rug.

Yes, no shit he's not a prosecutor. Not the point.

I see you already have made up your mind.

What would need to be investigated is where was security if it was to be provided. I'd say ISU's insurance is gonna be paying out to someone.

https://www.press-citizen.com/story...ysical-sexual-assault-allegations/2384185001/

After reading this, he needs to go if he really told the student band members there are more pressing matters to be concerned with. #firebarta.
Where did you read that Barta said this? I have not seen this anywhere, and this kind of made-up quotes are what make your argument ridiculous.

Barta has not way to pursue this. What is he supposed to do? Cancel the series? That isn't going to punish the criminals who did this.

Reactions: cmhawks99
You know whoever the turds were that perpetrated this bragged about it the next day to someone. Somebody knows who did it beyond the person or persons who did it.
This. The perpetrators of the assault are who needs to be punished. A lot of ridiculously misdirected anger here.

You know whoever the turds were that perpetrated this bragged about it the next day to someone. Somebody knows who did it beyond the person or persons who did it.
You're right and it is probably all over their social media accounts if someone knew where to look. Have you seen the documentary "Roll Red Roll"?

I get why the band members are mad at Barta but he has little power to do much. As for the fans, first he over reacted and now he has under reacted. I do think that Barta should have turned this over to the police and perhaps that is something Pollard is doing but what else can Barta do? He has no power over the security, video cameras around the stadium, ISU students and staff. All he can really do is question the band and possibly refer them to police. His main power is making sure there are safeguards around this in the future.

We should be patient and wait to see what falls out of this. Perhaps we will find out that he did not do all that he should have done. Perhaps we will find out the opposite. But we should be paying attention and not forgetting that this happened.

Why don't the band members just go to the police directly if they feel the athletic dept isn't handling it correctly? If someone was truly sexually assaulted, they don't need the athletic dept to be involved to file a complaint with the local authorities. And if it truly happened, then there would likely have been dozens of witnesses to back their account.

Reactions: cmhawks99 and nu2u
Someone who knows about these types of things should start a petition to get rid of Barta once and for all. That should be followed by Prez Herald and then the rest of the useless athletic department. Complete incompetence by those in power, with the only goal being to cover their own asses. Reminds me of executive leadership at every company I have ever worked for. Pathetic excuses for leaders and humans.
Trust me. The ineptness is not just the AD or his dept . It's a systemic problem throughout the entire university.

If this incident has not been handled properly by the Iowa administration to the satisfaction of a majority of the band members by the M. Tennessee game, then the band should vote on whether or not to boycott the game and/or the rest of the season...

I do not like Barta. I think he should be gone.

But, this is not his fault.

Not saying it is his fault that something might have happened, but his handling of it so far has been atrocious.

Comes out with a press release when it should have been kept in house until they actually knew something, then says they are ending the investigation and now band members are coming out saying the athletic department has let them down.

Last edited:
Soooo....the University took it upon themselves to bring national attention to this story. And now they've backed out without anything being clearly established as to what did or didn't happen. What a debacle.

This is the issue. I don't expect Barta to be able to resolve what happened but he brought the spotlight on himself with this, which again, is a complete PR no-no. I doubt (hope) he is ignoring or covering anything up, but the whole AD needs to spend a bunch of money on a legitimate PR firm.

If Barta does indeed have a student/parent telling him about this assault he damn well has an obligation to press thos with the authorities. Suggesting everything is OK because he reported it to authorities is not sufficient. Isn't that what Paterno did? He reported it to his supervisor then trusted them to "do the right thing". Barta and the U of I have access to media and resources none of us do.
I think it is possible Barta realized after the initial press release that it would have been better to initiate an investgation quietly and push it that way. Barta and KF absolutely DO NOT want the ISU game to go away. It is a guaranteed sellout at markup prices and a likely win.

If Barta does indeed have a student/parent telling him about this assault he damn well has an obligation to press thos with the authorities. Suggesting everything is OK because he reported it to authorities is not sufficient. Isn't that what Paterno did? He reported it to his supervisor then trusted them to "do the right thing". Barta and the U of I have access to media and resources none of us do.
I think it is possible Barta realized after the initial press release that it would have been better to initiate an investgation quietly and push it that way. Barta and KF absolutely DO NOT want the ISU game to go away. It is a guaranteed sellout at markup prices and a likely win.
You are assuming that he hasn't done this. All Barta can do is report it to the authorities. He cannot release any more information about it without violating privacy laws.

I am really sick of all of the hubris in these threads. Actions are already being taken. If nothing can be done about it, it's not Barta's fault.

It is a matter for law enforcement. I am sure whatever is know has been turned over. When you are talking assault, that is a police matter. Not Gary Barta or Jamie Pollard.

Reactions: BBHawk
You are assuming that he hasn't done this. All Barta can do is report it to the authorities. He cannot release any more information about it without violating privacy laws.

I am really sick of all of the hubris in these threads. Actions are already being taken. If nothing can be done about it, it's not Barta's fault.

His statement that it was too difficult to assign responsibility and they were moving on to the future is what is driving the anger here.
I hope the students who were injured and assaulted filed legal complaints.

It is a matter for law enforcement. I am sure whatever is know has been turned over. When you are talking assault, that is a police matter. Not Gary Barta or Jamie Pollard.
You would think that common sense would dictate this, but some just have their own agenda...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT