ADVERTISEMENT

You get to pick a 5 star *****

Wasnt-drunk-didnt-troll

HR Heisman
Gold Member
Sep 11, 2017
Not a specific player but a position to come into the 2018 class. Where do you think we would benefit most from a "stud" joining the lineup?

I think most people will say WR and that's pry a decent pick maybe another DE and crush people from the outsides? RB? Maybe you think a 5 star dual threat qb would indeed stanley and open up the offense. Me: give me the nastiest 5 star linebacker I can get. In my head "5 star" means freak athlete and ready to play day 1 and I believe that would be the best choice going into 17. What say you?

After making WR first, second, and third choice, I say DT.

I personally like the idea of bringing in an immediate impact, line clogging DT that could change the game for the defense. I think it would do wonders to allow Epenesa, Nelson, etc. the ability to really get after it on the edges and it also could make life easier for the LBs.

1. QB (dual threat or pocket passer)
2. WR (6-3 or 6-4 bigger WR)
3. RB (Bigger back who has the quicks)
4.TE (6-6 and bigger who can line up at Slot)
5. LB
6. CB

Anything other than WR is just not smart. We have good TE's, line should be salty, a very good QB and who are the Wr's the next couple years. Out D will be fine. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: dawgs_04
Whoever said a 5* DT is correct. While a 5* WR would be nice, I have little to no faith that they would have any meaningful impact on our offense. A run stopping, double team every down, 300lb+ interior defensive lineman would help out our pretty salty defense immensely. Our guys inside have been working hard, but it's apparent that we have had a drop there with Jaleel gone.

Need an elite WR to start stretching the field to help open up the run game. You can’t keep D’s honest by looking only to Fant and Hock. A deep threat WR would do wonders for this offense.

Not a specific player but a position to come into the 2018 class. Where do you think we would benefit most from a "stud" joining the lineup?

I think most people will say WR and that's pry a decent pick maybe another DE and crush people from the outsides? RB? Maybe you think a 5 star dual threat qb would indeed stanley and open up the offense. Me: give me the nastiest 5 star linebacker I can get. In my head "5 star" means freak athlete and ready to play day 1 and I believe that would be the best choice going into 17. What say you?

Dual threat mobile 5***** QB. Not even a contest.

WR would be second.

Am I the only one that thinks picking a WR is a waste? We're still Iowa, we're not going to start slinging the ball around the field just because we have an elite WR.

I get that we have a difficiency at that position, but if I can only pick one 5* at a position; I'm choosing a position that can make an impact everytime they're on the field. QB and RB are good choices, but still you're limiting the potential to only 50% of the offense.

I really think Defense is the way to go, which position is another question. Another Bob Sanders, would be awesome, and would completely set the tone of the entire defense. DT is another intriguing position, but I think I would be more tempted to add another DE instead. Just because you could compliment him with Epenesa and not have a 'softer' side of the line. Plus I feel Iowa stuggles more with pass defense vs rush. Ultimatly I think think the best choice is a LB simply because next year is the first year the 5* player could make an impact. With Iowa losing all their LBers next year, it's a perfect position to get the most impact, based on need and impact on the field (Iowa doesn't rotate LBs and rarely do they go to dime/nickle packages).

Next year: LB, it's the biggest need.

Any year: Alternate DT/DE every other year. If we had this going, top quality LBs and DBs would follow.

Easily DT, followed by WR, then RB.

Well, I would guess most of the board isn't thinking clearly then, especially considering we don't run our QB.

We could. If Iowa got a Lamar Jackson or Kelly Bryant and didn't change our style of offense because of it, our coaching staff would be clinically insane.

We could. If Iowa got a Lamar Jackson or Kelly Bryant and didn't change our style of offense because of it, our coaching staff would be clinically insane.
How has this offense adapted to use Wadley effectively? It hasn't. Why would that philosophy suddenly change with a QB?

Reggie Roby was a 5 star punter. Just sayin'.:)

Considering he averaged 42 and 40 his first two years at Iowa (which incidentally is the averages of our two current punters), I wonder if everyone wanted him benched before he ever made it to his junior and senior years. I'm told every high school in Iowa and many 40 and 50 year olds on this message board can kick it farther than our current guys. But the NFL should be HOFer didn't become great until his third year in school.

You recruit to your scheme, you don't scheme to your recruits. You can game plan a little to your talent and strengths.

QB for sure. Imagine landing a Marcus Mariotta, Jameis Winston, or Jaylen Hurts. Hell, I'll take another Ricky Stanzi, Brad Banks, or Drew Tate.

Otherwise, in order, WR, OL, LB, DT. Oh my, I had a brief vision of Iowa landing a 5*QB, 5*WR, 5*OL, 5*LB, and 5*DT in the same class. Hell, the rest could be 2-stars for all I'd care if Iowa landed five guys like that in one year. As it stands, I don't think Iowa has landed five 5*s total in the past ten years.

Left Tackle.

I can't help but think the best thing for an Iowa football team generically speaking is when we have a road grader at left tackle that also locks down protecting the QB's blind side against every pass rusher he ever goes against.

id go with the 5 star rb but i want him to be a pass catching kind of guy. A reggie bush would be ideal

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT