ADVERTISEMENT

YouTube TV customers

Might want to uncut the cord and get dish.
this! My god I got a headache reading this thread. I’ve had directv for over 20 years. Never had an issue. I get a ton of “extras” for free, equipment upgrades every couple years. I pay a little bit a year for the protection plan. So worth it. I’ve been to friends houses to watch sports that have the streaming and it sucks. If you have too many people on their devices it interferes, and reading this, nobody seems to know what comes with what service. I know of at least 5 friends that have gone back to directv or dish

Both Direct TV and Dish have had similar contractual battles over the years as have all the major cable providers. This seems to be somewhat expected now.

At 4-million subscribers, a $15 per month revenue hit per subscriber is a lot of money and that doesn’t account for those bailing on YTTV for other services. I know Google generates lots of money and their subscriber fees likely pale in comparison to their ad revenue, but, I still expect this standoff to be short. There is too much at stake here at the start of Bowl season for Google not to make a deal.

Y'all posters touting your corded services do realize they've had the same contract disputes that the streaming services have had over the years, right?

I've had Mediacom, South Slope, Dish, and DirecTV over the past 20+ years and all of them lost channels due to disputes.

I could sign up for FuboTV, Youtube TV, and Hulu simultaneously for a month while the contract dispute is worked out and STILL be ahead on cost for the year compared to just having one corded service.

Y'all posters touting your corded services do realize they've had the same contract disputes that the streaming services have had over the years, right?

I've had Mediacom, South Slope, Dish, and DirecTV over the past 20+ years and all of them lost channels due to disputes.

I could sign up for FuboTV, Youtube TV, and Hulu simultaneously for a month while the contract dispute is worked out and STILL be ahead on cost for the year compared to just having one corded service.

I pay $80 a month for Dish (it just went up) and I get 220+ channels. I'm guessing you can't get all three services and be less than that. Although I do also have Netflix (for my kids) and Disney+.

Like the other poster, I think it's funny to read how people don't even know what comes with what services. All the people who thought it was so great to "cut the cord" really didn't cut the cord. Cutting the cord is getting free TV, not paying someone else other than Dish or DTV. Good luck with your "corded world" problems.

I pay $80 a month for Dish (it just went up) and I get 220+ channels. I'm guessing you can't get all three services and be less than that. Although I do also have Netflix (for my kids) and Disney+.

Like the other poster, I think it's funny to read how people don't even know what comes with what services. All the people who thought it was so great to "cut the cord" really didn't cut the cord. Cutting the cord is getting free TV, not paying someone else other than Dish or DTV. Good luck with your "corded world" problems.
Dish's lowest priced package is $105 per month after the introductory rate expires ($1260 per year.) I pay $65 a month for YouTube TV ($780 per year.)

So I pay $480 less per year for more channels.

I could sign up for FuboTV for $65 per month and Hulu TV for $65 per month while still having YouTube TV and have all 3 for almost 3 months and still pay the same as Dish.

The contract dispute will be resolved within a month so I'd still be ahead on price as I said. Also, I can cancel any or all of them at any time. You would have to pay a bunch of money to switch carriers.

Lastly, "cutting the cord" isn't getting free TV. It refers to not having the cords run all through your house to cable or satellite receivers. There are very few advantages to a corded solution.

The bowl games I care about are on the 31st and 1st. If this standoff is still going then I will do a trial of another streaming service that allows me to watch. If it is ongoing when they play the national championship game I will try another service. Longer than a month I may consider a different service.

YTTV has the best interface and recording capabilities. I don’t want to drop their service.

This is just another bald ass power play by Disney/ESPN. They are trying to drive traffic to Hulu...a service that no one really wanted because it is clunky and doesn't offer solid recording options. I'm going to try an over-the-air antenna and hope I can watch the game Jan 1. As for ESPN and Disney...they are dead to me.

this! My god I got a headache reading this thread. I’ve had directv for over 20 years. Never had an issue. I get a ton of “extras” for free, equipment upgrades every couple years. I pay a little bit a year for the protection plan. So worth it. I’ve been to friends houses to watch sports that have the streaming and it sucks. If you have too many people on their devices it interferes, and reading this, nobody seems to know what comes with what service. I know of at least 5 friends that have gone back to directv or dish

100% agree. Not only does the picture suck, the streaming services are about a minute behind the game

I had Dish for over 20 years. The thing that REALLY chapped my butt is that the contract disputes always seemed to come during some unique, high demand period or event. We had to watch an entire Olympics on apps on my computer and cast to the TV once. The NCAA tournament. Finally I just said screw it. It's very frustrating to be running into the same thing with YTTV and Disney. I agree with others that their interface is really good. I have a couple of apps (IE not on my listing) that YTTV will still record and store in my Library (this is very cool IMO). So I'm not going to pull a quick trigger. BUT - one major, major advantage is that if I find an alternative that I like - no strings attached. I'll just move on. And move back if I want. My son has YTTV at home and Direct TV streaming at work, which he seems to like. Maybe I'll check it out.

I was happy with my Playstation vue, and they pissed themselves and got out of the business, now I am happy with my Youtube tv. damnit, I might just wait till somebody uploades the citrus bowl on Youtube and watch it a day or two late. I live in Florida and can avoid the news, I would just have to avoid the forum till I watched the game.

Reactions: Capital1Hawk
I was happy with my Playstation vue, and they pissed themselves and got out of the business, now I am happy with my Youtube tv. damnit, I might just wait till somebody uploades the citrus bowl on Youtube and watch it a day or two late. I live in Florida and can avoid the news, I would just have to avoid the forum till I watched the game.
Same! Loved PSVue! Everything about it. And also have YTTV now and it's a very good alternative to Vue. I'm holding out until December 28 or so.

Reactions: DougFHawkeye
The bowl games I care about are on the 31st and 1st. If this standoff is still going then I will do a trial of another streaming service that allows me to watch. If it is ongoing when they play the national championship game I will try another service. Longer than a month I may consider a different service.

YTTV has the best interface and recording capabilities. I don’t want to drop their service.
Agreed. Most games I want to watch don't start until late December and I prefer not to leave YTTV yet. The DVR is a big selling point and I also don't want to lose AMC and MLB Network. I can't get either with Hulu Live and would have to buy an extra $11 dollar package on Fubo that would make it over $80.

Reactions: FWIW4922463
Same! Loved PSVue! Everything about it. And also have YTTV now and it's a very good alternative to Vue. I'm holding out until December 28 or so.
I just signed up for the 30 day trial with fubo, so, if Youtube TV doesn't get it's act together, at least I have an alternative. Anyway, it is free until January 19th, so Youtube has a month to get it together, or I will cancel them. Fubo actually has more channels for the same price, however, I only watched maybe 5 or 6 Youtube channels anyway, so the additional ones are not sweetening the pot. LOL

What a total lie

Reactions: WapelloHawk
100% agree. Not only does the picture suck, the streaming services are about a minute behind the game
Is being a minute behind that big of a deal? Assuming the only benefit nowadays of true live is if you’re listening on the radio as well? Picture only sucks if the internet is lacking in my experience. It’s been years since I dealt with a dish but my internet never has viewing issues during a light rain like my dish did. If someone hosting a watch party doesn’t have the right bandwidth, then they suck as a host.

You may be surprised to know that an inside antenna can't pick up Cedar Rapids stations in Coralville/Iowa City. The transmitters are located too far northeast of us to get the signal. I spoke with a KCRG engineer about it on the phone. He said I would need an outdoor antenna.

Weird. I’m further than that from my TV market… And we get about 50 channels from an eight dollar piece of plastic we got at Menards.

Reactions: CesspoolHawk
What a total lie
I have had Direct TV twice, the first time as a 10 year home owner where I purchased the dish and all the equipment, so the price was reasonable. However, when I sold the house and moved into an apartment for the next 5 years, I paid $15 for each TV box, and with 3 TV's that added $45 a month to my bill. I had I believe the choice package $74.95 at that time, so I was paying damn near $130 a month, and when I had NFL Sunday TIcket around $200 a month. My package with Youtube TV I was paying $64.95 a month plus taxes, and Fubo is the same price. For what I get there is no sense going back to paying for the rental fee's. You know, when I cancelled, they kept asking what they could do to keep me, and I told them that with all the years I had been paying rental fee's I should own the damn equipment by now, so if they would stop charging me the rental fee, I would stay with them......They said no, I said goodbye. No regrets, and I have every channel that I had with Directv that I watch. BTW, I remember a few times getting notices from Directv that they were having disagreements with some networks, and there was a chance I might lose those channels, so DTV is not immune.

Last edited:
I actually started singing up for Direct TV once - maybe 8-10 years ago. I was a super deal and thought I would give it shot.

When the installer arrived, he began undoing the deal I thought I had understood, then told me I would need 2 dishes if I wanted local channels.

Then he looked out in my back yard and said, "Ohh, I see you have trees ..."

😡

I have had Direct TV twice, the first time as a 10 year home owner where I purchased the dish and all the equipment, so the price was reasonable. However, when I sold the house and moved into an apartment for the next 5 years, I paid $15 for each TV box, and with 3 TV's that added $45 a month to my bill. I had I believe the choice package, so I was paying damn near $130 a month, and when I had NFL Sunday TIcket around $200 a month. My package with Youtube TV I was paying $64.95 a month plus taxes, and Fubo is the same price. For what I get there is no sense going back to paying for the rental fee's. You know, when I cancelled, they kept asking what they could do to keep me, and I told them that with all the years I had been paying rental fee's I should own the damn equipment by now, so if they would stop charging me the rental fee, I would stay with them......They said no, I said goodbye. No regrets, plus I get everything I liked on Directv, and my package was $74.95 at Directv and I am paying $10 a month less.
Similar story for me, except I had DirecTV for 20+ years. After the 3rd contract dispute with ABC, I said enough. And I am streaming YouTube TV over slow DSL. Good enough for live HD, good enough for me. I don't mind delays (NEVER over 30 seconds!) and I have had zero outages due to weather other than the derecho, and that was a power outage.

Similar story for me, except I had DirecTV for 20+ years. After the 3rd contract dispute with ABC, I said enough. And I am streaming YouTube TV over slow DSL. Good enough for live HD, good enough for me. I don't mind delays (NEVER over 30 seconds!) and I have had zero outages due to weather other than the derecho, and that was a power outage.
That is the only suck thing, if your internet is bad. Several times a day mine freezes and loads, then continues, however it continues right where it froze so I did not lose anything but patients. LOL I absolutely loved Directv when I owned the equipment, but to me it makes no sense to pay rental fee's and pay another $10 over what I am paying for the same package. I will never go back to a dish unless all the streaming providers stop providing. Not to mention, like you said, Directv bickered with networks every bit as much as the streaming people do. Plus, I don't have to go and sweep the snow out of my dish when I am streaming. Of course I live in Florida now, but still

That is the only suck thing, if your internet is bad. Several times a day mine freezes and loads, then continues, however it continues right where it froze so I did not lose anything but patients. LOL I absolutely loved Directv when I owned the equipment, but to me it makes no sense to pay rental fee's and pay another $10 over what I am paying for the same package. I will never go back to a dish unless all the streaming providers stop providing.
I have my name in for Starlink at our lake house (WAY in the boonies!) so I am hoping for better speeds there. As it is, I do have some buffering but I use a Roku device for streaming. It has some decent buffering capabilities so that helps quite a bit compared to using my smart Samsung TV.

Last edited:
I have a love/hate relationship with 'Ad Free" Hulu with 200 hours of DVR service. They call it ad free, but I've watched more ads in the months I've had them than I ever did with cable because I could just record all my favorite shows and blast thru the commercials. I understand having to watch ads on live shows, but having to watch them when viewing Hulu's own content or some of the old TV shows and movies I like is just ridiculous. It is anything but ad free. The DVR service does work nicely most of the time and then you can usually skip the commercials.

Reactions: ThisHawks4u
I have a love/hate relationship with 'Ad Free" Hulu with 200 hours of DVR service. They call it ad free, but I've watched more ads in the months I've had them than I ever did with cable because I could just record all my favorite shows and blast thru the commercials. I understand having to watch ads on live shows, but having to watch them when viewing Hulu's own content or some of the old TV shows and movies I like is just ridiculous. It is anything but ad free. The DVR service does work nicely most of the time and then you can usually skip the commercials.
You can fast forward through commercials on recorded DVR shows on YouTube TV, FYI. I agree that is one of the things I couldn't stand about Hulu.

Dish's lowest priced package is $105 per month after the introductory rate expires ($1260 per year.) I pay $65 a month for YouTube TV ($780 per year.)

So I pay $480 less per year for more channels.

I could sign up for FuboTV for $65 per month and Hulu TV for $65 per month while still having YouTube TV and have all 3 for almost 3 months and still pay the same as Dish.

The contract dispute will be resolved within a month so I'd still be ahead on price as I said. Also, I can cancel any or all of them at any time. You would have to pay a bunch of money to switch carriers.

Lastly, "cutting the cord" isn't getting free TV. It refers to not having the cords run all through your house to cable or satellite receivers. There are very few advantages to a corded solution.

I only pay $80 for 220+ channels.

I have coax and ethernet running to almost every room. It’s already there and so I have no reason not to use it. So far I see no advantage to switching, only negative. You might be different.

Not having to deal with Dish or Direct Tv customer support will keep me from ever going back. The last time I took a call from them they made their sales pitch and offer and i asked to have them send the offer with everything they said in am email since they have not honored things i agreed to with them in the past. I wanted proof just like when i have to sign a contract when the installer comes. The next thing i heard was a click...and they hung up.

T

I had Dish for 17 years and their customer service was top notch for most of it. My last year with them, they had a contract dispute with Fox and it lasted months. This included disruption of the Super Bowl amongst a lot of other events. Dish’s response was “here’s a $5 credit” for something I was paying $12 monthly for.

When I wasn’t under contract, they bent over backwards for me. Once I went under contract, they couldn’t care less about my business. I’m happy enough with YTTV and even happier that I have twice as many TVs to watch and still save a couple hundred a year.

Reactions: scotthawk1964

I have coax and ethernet running to almost every room. It’s already there and so I have no reason not to use it. So far I see no advantage to switching, only negative. You might be different.
How many of those 220+ channels do you watch? I looked at the list. Not much I would watch with any regularity.

YouTube TV has a much better selection at a fraction of the cost, can be streamed simultaneously by 3 different devices, and used by up to 5 "family" members at no additional cost. Also basically unlimited recording in the cloud. Very seamless, and no additional cost OR equipment. It's about as simple as it gets.

Advantages:
Cheaper than cable or satellite
No $$ penalty to cancel (Like when a dispute arises between carrier and Disney)
Better, more advanced hardware that receive frequent firmware and software updates. Also having all services on one piece of hardware/interface. Disney+, Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.
Unlimited DVR space
Stream easily from your phone, tablet, etc on the go
Share an account with a family member that lives elsewhere like a college kid

There's a few for you. Cable and satellite have very few advantages and a whole host of disadvantages.

The picture quality is fine. On YTTV it is as good as Dish’s. Especially with a decent internet.

The game is about 30 seconds to a minute behind on YTTV and the DVR is a lot harder to navigate during the game. I really liked on Dish that I could go back and pinpoint a specific moment of a game and then return to the action without missing anything. With YTTV, it’s a lot harder to rewind to a specific spot.

That I went to yttv...Hulu is garbage

Reactions: ThisHawks4u
How many of those 220+ channels do you watch? I looked at the list. Not much I would watch with any regularity.

YouTube TV has a much better selection at a fraction of the cost, can be streamed simultaneously by 3 different devices, and used by up to 5 "family" members at no additional cost. Also basically unlimited recording in the cloud. Very seamless, and no additional cost OR equipment. It's about as simple as it gets.

I watch a lot of the channels. Depends on what’s on, I like to flip thru the channels. Months ago i compared what i had and hulu and yttv just didn’t have everything and was just as expensive or more when i added everything. I’m not a fan of streaming compared to dish.

Piss on YouTube. Use Hulu or Tubi for live TV. Hulu saved me 200 a month over Mediacom. YouTube is good for highlights, music videos and extremely rare history movies, like "Waterloo".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT