ADVERTISEMENT

FSU Getting Screwed Only Speeds Up them Leaving ACC

West Dundee Hawkeye

HR All-American
Sep 28, 2003
FSU getting screwed only speeds up them leaving ACC.

The SEC bias caused this.

ESPN is in bed with the SEC.

Disney was the deep pockets behind ESPN is talking of selling ESPN.

I have said this for years, the B1G will end up like the NFL and not have a committee to make playoff selections but 4 Regions of 5 or 6 teams. The Regional Champs make the playoffs and will be seeded just like NFC North vs NFC East.

If FSU played Alabama right now, who do you think would win?
This mentality is everything that's wrong with college football.

I don't care how pretty the teams are, or what any schmuck thinks would happen in a hypothetical matchup.

Lay teams out in an even distribution with a balanced schedule, with a clear path. Earn your way into the field by winning your division, then go at it. No beauty contests, what ifs, or any nonsense. Merit.

Doesn't matter FSU won all their games. Teams were basically selected on their roster in August and not by on-field performance. People(NCAA) confuse "Best" teams with Best-performing teams.
But it does matter. The Committee has said this all along that their goal is the four best teams. I hate Alabama as much as anyone, but right now they are a better team than Florida State. Losing their starting QB was a death sentence for getting in the final 4. Quite frankly Ohio State has as much to bitch about as their only loss was to the number 1 team, Michigan - at Michigan.

FSU getting screwed only speeds up them leaving ACC.

The SEC bias caused this.

ESPN is in bed with the SEC.

Disney was the deep pockets behind ESPN is talking of selling ESPN.

I have said this for years, the B1G will end up like the NFL and not have a committee to make playoff selections but 4 Regions of 5 or 6 teams. The Regional Champs make the playoffs and will be seeded just like NFC North vs NFC East.
It has never been more apparent that Florida State will never join the SEC.

In fact, the SEC kinda screwed itself in terms of ever getting the top pick of the litter from the ACC when it dissolves.

Yeah, they might snag a Duke, UNC, Virginia, etc to strengthen basketball, but their gomer pile f*** know-it-alls keep telling us it's about football revenue............well they just screwed over the one last major source they could've pulled in for future realignment.

Clemson isn't going after the CFP committee/SECSPN told FSU their best wins, including Clemson, were amatuer hour. Miami could be swayed, but really it'd just be out of spite to try and bribe the Canes into not following FSU to another conference. There isn't anyone else the SEC would truly "want" from the ACC.

So congrats to them........

But it does matter. The Committee has said this all along that their goal is the four best teams. I hate Alabama as much as anyone, but right now they are a better team than Florida State. Losing their starting QB was a death sentence for getting in the final 4. Quite frankly Ohio State has as much to bitch about as their only loss was to the number 1 team, Michigan - at Michigan.
Then Georgia should have gotten in before Washington.

Then Georgia should have gotten in before Washington.
Having the "best" four teams was one of the criteria that was to be used is all I am saying. They made no secret of that all along. And this Georgia team is not the same as their teams from the last two years. Not even close. Alabama's strength of schedule was also much better than FSU. Washington won their championship game against another top 5 team. Finished undefeated. They earned it - Georgia did not.

• Haha
Reactions: GHawk
On that score, Bama didn't beat a "full-strength" UGA. When we are debating which one-loss P5 gets in over an undefeated P5 team, we have lost our collective way.

Reactions: F5n5
On that score, Bama didn't beat a "full-strength" UGA. When we are debating which one-loss P5 gets in over an undefeated P5 team, we have lost our collective way.
If Michigan-Washington-Texas-Alabama-played FSU tomorrow, who would be the betting favorite in each game? FSU would not be favored against anyone in the top 10. That had to be considered.

It has never been more apparent that Florida State will never join the SEC.

In fact, the SEC kinda screwed itself in terms of ever getting the top pick of the litter from the ACC when it dissolves.

Yeah, they might snag a Duke, UNC, Virginia, etc to strengthen basketball, but their gomer pile f*** know-it-alls keep telling us it's about football revenue............well they just screwed over the one last major source they could've pulled in for future realignment.

Clemson isn't going after the CFP committee/SECSPN told FSU their best wins, including Clemson, were amatuer hour. Miami could be swayed, but really it'd just be out of spite to try and bribe the Canes into not following FSU to another conference. There isn't anyone else the SEC would truly "want" from the ACC.

So congrats to them........

This isn't how college expansion works

Next year the CFP goes to 12 teams and it's going to be more of the same on a larger scale. It won't be people bitching about how the 13th team got left out but people bitching about why <insert team> is #5, or #7, or whatever.

Blow up the current CFP, get some uniform rules in place (play 8 or 9 conference games, etc.), screw the NCAA and start your own damn playoff.

Imagine how many players are going to opt out of a multi-game playoff regimen to avoid injury. I still expect to start seeing players to not even finish the regular season because its the ‘smart’ thing to do.

Reactions: jo12208 and amahawk
Next year the CFP goes to 12 teams and it's going to be more of the same on a larger scale. It won't be people bitching about how the 13th team got left out but people bitching about why <insert team> is #5, or #7, or whatever.

Blow up the current CFP, get some uniform rules in place (play 8 or 9 conference games, etc.), screw the NCAA and start your own damn playoff.
I don't understand why they selected 12 teams. You're absolutely right that the arguing will be about the 3-6 spots because the unlucky ones will have to play an extra game. If they'd have just stuck with 8 teams then everyone has the same # of games ahead of them to win. Think of it this way. FSU was in the #5 spot. They played and won a conference championship game and then would have to play a quarterfinals game with two more potential games ahead of them if they keep winning. In a year Notre Dame makes the top 4, they have no conference championship game and wouldn't play until the semi finals. Meaning two fewer games than a conference champion like FSU.

This isn't like the NFL where the schedules give teams exposure to a wide swath of the league and someone having to play in the wild card round doesn't have much to complain about because they weren't good enough to have one of the top records.

If we have to stick with a 12 team playoff, then the best scenario is that the P5 is reduced to P4, which looks like is happening with the PAC-12 imploding. Then the P4 conference champs from each of those get a first round bye so that they are rewarded for winning their title game and the other 8 teams are filled out as needed. Yes if that format was in place this year and Iowa had somehow managed to beat Michigan they would have a 1st round bye even with two losses. But that is the only way to make the conference championship games matter. Otherwise a team like OSU or PSU actually benefits from not making the championship game as they get one less game of wear and tear on their team before heading to the playoffs. If Notre Dame wants to complain about never having a shot at a top 4 spot, then they should join a conference and be forced to play in an extra game like everyone else to get one of those spots.

I don't understand why they selected 12 teams. You're absolutely right that the arguing will be about the 3-6 spots because the unlucky ones will have to play an extra game. If they'd have just stuck with 8 teams then everyone has the same # of games ahead of them to win. Think of it this way. FSU was in the #5 spot. They played and won a conference championship game and then would have to play a quarterfinals game with two more potential games ahead of them if they keep winning. In a year Notre Dame makes the top 4, they have no conference championship game and wouldn't play until the semi finals. Meaning two fewer games than a conference champion like FSU.

This isn't like the NFL where the schedules give teams exposure to a wide swath of the league and someone having to play in the wild card round doesn't have much to complain about because they weren't good enough to have one of the top records.

If we have to stick with a 12 team playoff, then the best scenario is that the P5 is reduced to P4, which looks like is happening with the PAC-12 imploding. Then the P4 conference champs from each of those get a first round bye so that they are rewarded for winning their title game and the other 8 teams are filled out as needed. Yes if that format was in place this year and Iowa had somehow managed to beat Michigan they would have a 1st round bye even with two losses. But that is the only way to make the conference championship games matter. Otherwise a team like OSU or PSU actually benefits from not making the championship game as they get one less game of wear and tear on their team before heading to the playoffs. If Notre Dame wants to complain about never having a shot at a top 4 spot, then they should join a conference and be forced to play in an extra game like everyone else to get one of those spots.
I agree 4 champs get the 4 byes regardless of record. What I dont agree with is in the #5-12 games 5-8 get a home game. 1-4 are the "home" teams on a neutral site. I know $$$$$$$$$$$ but I'd love to see Iowa snag a #4 seed and force a LSU, Texas, Florida to come here in December or January

So whats the point? Why don't they play in September and not play it up like the games in the regular season matter. They sell you that these games between ranked teams and that the rankings in themselves matter but then just toss them to the side. Even in the NCAA wrestling tournament, the undefeated guy gets the one seed even when you know that they would lose to 2 or 3 guys from the Big Ten.

It's like going into the year with a solid Senior who was a 3-star recruit that has paid their dues and shown they can play and replacing them with a less polished 5-star freshmen because they have more potential.
I for one will not watch the playoff. I am one that used to watch all the bowl games but I am going to watch Iowa's game maybe another Big Ten bowl game. Going forward watching less and Less

Imagine how many players are going to opt out of a multi-game playoff regimen to avoid injury. I still expect to start seeing players to not even finish the regular season because its the ‘smart’ thing to do.
If you are a sure #1 pick,why would you risk it? Teams with the best depth..bluebloods with would weather the storm.

So whats the point? Why don't they play in September and not play it up like the games in the regular season matter. They sell you that these games between ranked teams and that the rankings in themselves matter but then just toss them to the side. Even in the NCAA wrestling tournament, the undefeated guy gets the one seed even when you know that they would lose to 2 or 3 guys from the Big Ten.

It's like going into the year with a solid Senior who was a 3-star recruit that has paid their dues and shown they can play and replacing them with a less polished 5-star freshmen because they have more potential.
I for one will not watch the playoff. I am one that used to watch all the bowl games but I am going to watch Iowa's game maybe another Big Ten bowl game. Going forward watching less and Less
What's the point? Having a semi final match up that won't be over at half time. What do you think the over under would be if FSU played Iowa. Maybe 20? They don't want people turning the channel at half time and that is what has happended before when they did the "right thing."

The Committee was very clear about having the four best teams that were in the final 10. FSU simply is not. Not without their starting QB. They aren't in the top 10. They would not be the favorite in any of those games.

This isn't a trophy for everyone type scenario. Big money is being spent on this from advertisers and they want viewers. Just a fact. And no, the undefeated guy in wrestling, who has wrestled a poorer schedule and is hurt, does not always get the top seed.

Alabama -- probably Bama.
Michigan -- probably FSU.
You're delusional if you think FSU would beat Michigan. Would not be all that close. Think an offense only slighly better than Iowa (without their starting QB) and a defense that is not as good.

You're delusional if you think FSU would beat Michigan. Would not be all that close. Think an offense only slighly better than Iowa (without their starting QB) and a defense that is not as good.
FSU had 32 rushing TDs. I don't think you understand how they win games.
It looks like Iowa, with two NFL caliber WRs (utilize TEs too), a strong running game, and a tough defense.
I don't see anywhere where Michigan's offense would hold an advantage over FSU. It would be a defensive battle.

In fact, if Iowa could run Norvell's offense I firmly believe they could / would win the Big10.

Last edited:
Reactions: ICHerky
What's the point? Having a semi final match up that won't be over at half time. What do you think the over under would be if FSU played Iowa. Maybe 20? They don't want people turning the channel at half time and that is what has happended before when they did the "right thing."

The Committee was very clear about having the four best teams that were in the final 10. FSU simply is not. Not without their starting QB. They aren't in the top 10. They would not be the favorite in any of those games.

This isn't a trophy for everyone type scenario. Big money is being spent on this from advertisers and they want viewers. Just a fact. And no, the undefeated guy in wrestling, who has wrestled a poorer schedule and is hurt, does not always get the top seed.
They have to do the right thing because they lose all integrity and will be the final nail in the coffin for the NCAA.
No it's not a trophy for everyone it's on those that deserves it. you rule everyone else out because of recruiting rankings and preseason rankings.

and no based on the Wrestling Criteria: FSU would have gotten the higher seed over because they had a higher coaches poll ranking(3rd)/Winning percentage. Bama did have a higher RPI. so it would have been close but not higher.

Slide 11

FSU had 32 rushing TDs. I don't think you understand how they win games.
It looks like Iowa, with two NFL caliber WRs (utilize TEs too), a strong running game, and a tough defense.
I don't see anywhere where Michigan's offense would hold an advantage over FSU. It would be a defensive battle.

In fact, if Iowa could run Norvell's offense I firmly believe they could / would win the Big10.
With a limited back up QB they would do the same thing defenses did to Iowa all year. Take the run away and make them beat you through the air.

FSU would be 10 to 12 point dogs to Alabama at a minimum.
And that's what matters now? The betting line. FFS.
I thought actual games meant something. Do you realize that this EXACT scenario could play out at Iowa if a Committee deemed the Hawks not sexy enough for playoff contention.

The merits are:

FSU won. Despite youth, injury, weather or otherwise. Assuming that winning is still the point of sport.

Alabama lost. They lost to Texas at home, by 10. They should have lost to Auburn. And if we go by style points -- they 'would've lost' to Georgia in the SECCG (because UGA would've beaten them with a healthy TE Bowers and WR McConkey. But that's just 'on paper' predictions.l

FSU had a higher average in BOTH POLLS (66 coaches, 63 writers), had a higher Strength of Record (SOR) than Alabama & Texas.

Last edited:
Reactions: cmhawks99 and F5n5
And that's what matters now? The betting line. FFS.
I thought actual games meant something. Do you realize that this EXACT scenario could play out at Iowa if a Committee deemed the Hawks not sexy enough for playoff contention.

The merits are:

FSU won. Despite youth, injury, weather or otherwise. Assuming that winning is still the point of sport.

Alabama lost. They lost to Texas at home, by 10. They should have lost to Auburn. And if we go by style points -- the lost to Georgia in the SECCG (because UGA would've beaten them with a healthy TE Bowers and WR McConkey.

FSU had a higher average in BOTH POLLS (66 coaches, 63 writers), had a higher Strength of Record (SOR) than Alabama & Texas.
Let's not let facts get in the way of emotion - Strength of Schedule - Alabama 5, Texas 13, FSU 55. Ohio State is the team that should be upset. They had one loss to the top rated team away from home and their strength of schedule is 7th.

Last edited:
If Michigan-Washington-Texas-Alabama-played FSU tomorrow, who would be the betting favorite in each game? FSU would not be favored against anyone in the top 10. That had to be considered.
So why does the b-ball selection committee "allow" injuries to be a consideration in losses. Nothing "had" to be considered but this: which four teams EARNED their way into the playoff with the totality of their work on the field.

This "who is the betting favorite?" is absolute bull-hit. Oregon was a favorite over Washington.

So why does the b-ball selection committee "allow" injuries to be a consideration in losses. Nothing "had" to be considered but this: which four teams EARNED their way into the playoff with the totality of their work on the field.

This "who is the betting favorite?" is absolute bull-hit. Oregon was a favorite over Washington.
The betting favorite generally means who has the better team. And the people who set those initial spreads are far more knowledgable than is the average fan. So ya, it does mean something.

And the criteria used by this Committee is not the same as what is used by the basketball Committee. Apples to oranges. Basketball teams are moved down all the time when they have injuries. But again, you are talking about 66 teams now versus 4? Big difference.

If I'm the A.D at FSU, I'm getting a call with the A.D's at Clemson, Miami, and UNC and coming up with a strategy to get in a room with Notre Dame and selling them on why it's best for all of us to join the B1G. Let them bring along Stanford and we have the first National conference of 24.

Let's not let facts get in the way of emotion - Strength of Schedule - Alabama 5, Texas 13, FSU 55. Ohio State is the team that should be upset. They had one loss to the top rated team away from home and their strength of schedule is 7th
SOS is an antiquated metric that gives a team credit for their losses.
SOR is the metric you want -- ranks the teams based on the number of teams that could do what you did.

In this case FSU #3, ALA #4, OSU is #5 I think.

Statistics are always invalid when they don't say what you want them to say. And you did say Strength of Schedule until you edited your own post. According to SOR, Liberty is #14. Do you really believe Liberty is the 14th best football team in the country?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT