ADVERTISEMENT

FSU Getting Screwed Only Speeds Up them Leaving ACC

Not sure what advantage fsu would gain at this point by leaving with the playoff expansion coming.
Is the argument that they would have a better shot at a higher seed if they are the second or third best team in the sec vs the champ of the acc?

The betting favorite generally means who has the better team. And the people who set those initial spreads are far more knowledgable than is the average fan. So ya, it does mean something.

And the criteria used by this Committee is not the same as what is used by the basketball Committee. Apples to oranges. Basketball teams are moved down all the time when they have injuries. But again, you are talking about 66 teams now versus 4? Big difference.
You obviously don’t understand betting lines. They are set and adjusted based on $$$ incoming — not some guru who know jack shit about what’s going to happen in a game.

Vegas wins on the action, not the bets.

You obviously don’t understand betting lines. They are set and adjusted based on $$$ incoming — not some guru who know jack shit about what’s going to happen in a game.

yep, the goal is to get 50% of the total money on both sides and rake in the juice

Reactions: shudaddy
Not sure what advantage fsu would gain at this point by leaving with the playoff expansion coming.
Is the argument that they would have a better shot at a higher seed if they are the second or third best team in the sec vs the champ of the acc?
The argument is that the #2 ACC team may get passed up by the #4 SEC or #3 B1G school for metrics unrelated to performance.

If we’re.going down the road of beauty pageants over actual game results, then I fear that Iowa, Florida State, etc can’t compete.

College Football is moving toward a NFL minor league. The NCAA is facilitating it, making decisions that are anti-competitive and pro-corporate.

Will Iowa be one of the top 32 minor league schools or will our schools end up in the FCS?

No kidding - betting lines move on the action taken. The original lines are set by people with more inside information than most any expert. If they didn’t, early betting would destroy them. Educate someone else.

If FSU played Alabama right now, who do you think would win
But it does matter. The Committee has said this all along that their goal is the four best teams. I hate Alabama as much as anyone, but right now they are a better team than Florida State. Losing their starting QB was a death sentence for getting in the final 4. Quite frankly Ohio State has as much to bitch about as their only loss was to the number 1 team, Michigan - at Michigan.
What would have happened if Alabama wouldn't have made that hale marry pass on the last play of the game against Auburn? With two losses they would they still have said they were one of the best teams in the top 4?

FSU would be 10 to 12 point dogs to Alabama at a minimum.
They are currently +14 to Georgia right now. I'm assuming all of the FSU sympathizers will be jumping all over that line because as we all know now point spreads aren't an indicator at all of how a game might turnout.;)

Where do they land, SEC or BIG10? If I were FSU I would tell the SEC to go choke on their own derks and join the BIG, they fit the requirements.

Reactions: amahawk
They are currently +14 to Georgia right now. I'm assuming all of the FSU sympathizers will be jumping all over that line because as we all know now point spreads aren't an indicator at all of how a game might turnout.;)
Good point. Cancel the game - the spread is too wide, we already know who the ‘best’ team is. The result isn’t really the important thing anymore.

Let’s just focus on the matchups that are going to make ESPN the most profit.

Good point. Cancel the game - the spread is too wide, we already know who the ‘best’ team is. The result isn’t really the important thing anymore.

Since ESPN is owned by Disney it would actually be that company that ultimately realizes the profit/loss, but whatever. Cash is king right now, like it or not. It will always be a factor in decision making and when millions are on the line, they can't afford the chances of another blowout. It's happened before when they did the "right thing." Let's just give FSU a nice trophy so hurt feelings can go away.

Advertising is going to cost approximatley 1 million dollars for a 30 second spot. Pretty sure those advertisers are hoping for a good game too.

Since ESPN is owned by Disney it would actually be that company that ultimately realizes the profit/loss, but whatever. Cash is king right now, like it or not. It will always be a factor in decision making and when millions are on the line, they can't afford the chances of another blowout. It's happened before when they did the "right thing." Let's just give FSU a nice trophy so hurt feelings can go away.

Advertising is going to cost approximatley 1 million dollars for a 30 second spot. Pretty sure those advertisers are hoping for a good game too.
F***. I’ve got no answer to that. If you’re the average fan, and the average fan says that $$$ should be the ultimate determinant. There is no argument I can really make.

F***. I’ve got no answer to that. If you’re the average fan, and the average fan says that $$$ should be the ultimate determinant. There is no argument I can really make.
The average fan does not say that. The people behind the decisions being made do. You need to grasp that concept. Again, like it or not. The average fan's feelings simply do not matter. I'm not saying I'm for or against it because in all honesty, I would much rather have seen FSU in than Alabama. I'm simply trying to say why this decision was made.

I think that you have it backward. You gave Alabama a nice participation trophy by putting them in the playoffs when they didn't earn it. The BCS then the playoff was built to settle who is the national champion once and for all. Now it's not. It is who a consensus of a people to decide who would make the the best game/ most profit. It undermines the very nature of sport. Should have just replaced Iowa with Ohio State in the Big Ten Championship, they were the better team anyway.

Reactions: HawkNole09
I think that you have it backward. You gave Alabama a nice participation trophy by putting them in the playoffs when they didn't earn it. The BCS then the playoff was built to settle who is the national champion once and for all. Now it's not. It is who a consensus of a people to decide who would make the the best game/ most profit. It undermines the very nature of sport. Should have just replaced Iowa with Ohio State in the Big Ten Championship, they were the better team anyway.
Except for the fact of how the criteria was set ahead of time for the determination of the final two teams, you are correct, OSU was and is the better team. But sadly for your argument, that was not part of the criteria used. Bitch and lobby for change ahead of time, not after the fact.

"Consensus of a people" to decide? Where is that written into the current criteria used by the Committee to get the final 4? You and the other guy want to use emotion to rule. I prefer to use facts and rules set ahead of time. And that being said, money rules. Deal with it.

Except for the fact of how the criteria was set ahead of time for the determination of the final two teams, you are correct, OSU was and is the better team. But sadly for your argument, that was not part of the criteria used. Bitch and lobby for change ahead of time, not after the fact.

"Consensus of a people" to decide? Where is that written into the current criteria used by the Committee to get the final 4? You and the other guy want to use emotion to rule. I prefer to use facts and rules set ahead of time. And that being said, money rules. Deal with it.
LOL. The ‘facts and rules’ were subjective, to the point where an undefeated P5 team was deemed equivalent to a 1-loss SEC squad. Only then was it even relevant that FSU lost their starting QB — which while important is hardly disqualifying (see tOSU’s Barrett / Jones).

What would have been objective is a statement that said — the SEC is guaranteed a spot in the playoffs. That’s both objective and transparent.

The betting favorite generally means who has the better team. And the people who set those initial spreads are far more knowledgable than is the average fan. So ya, it does mean something.

And the criteria used by this Committee is not the same as what is used by the basketball Committee. Apples to oranges. Basketball teams are moved down all the time when they have injuries. But again, you are talking about 66 teams now versus 4? Big difference.
Oh, the irony. We botched all year about Noah Shannon's suspension for "gambling". But we allow "gambling" to be considered for the CFP.

Oh, the irony. We botched all year about Noah Shannon's suspension for "gambling". But we allow "gambling" to be considered for the CFP.
You forgot to add that Shannon broke a RULE by gambling. And nobody said WE allow gambling to be considered for the CFP. I simply stated that yes, an initial point spread is indicative of how the game is expected to go.

LOL. The ‘facts and rules’ were subjective, to the point where an undefeated P5 team was deemed equivalent to a 1-loss SEC squad. Only then was it even relevant that FSU lost their starting QB — which while important is hardly disqualifying (see tOSU’s Barrett / Jones).

What would have been objective is a statement that said — the SEC is guaranteed a spot in the playoffs. That’s both objective and transparent.
How about you show me where it is said and/or written that an undefeated team should automatically be in the CFP? How about Liberty? But oh, their schedule was not as strong as FSU's, hmmm? And they weren't deemed to be equivalent - actually inferior.

The consensus of people means the Committee. Most of them are not football people and with business background (and of course they are AD's)

Liberty isn't in a Power 5 but they weren't ranked ahead of Alabama in the final coaches poll were they?

They should just do the CFP in September. We already know who the best teams are at that time by their roster and recruiting class.

Sure it's driven by dollars. The precedent that really allows a slippery slope that station is more important than results. It always has but it now just has proven that unless your are one of 10 teams they would replace you. Which in my mind goes against the nature of sports.

Ya, I will deal with it. You can agree with Bama getting the participation trophy of getting their bid even though they did not earn it. I won't turn any of the CFP games on

Reactions: hawkeyebob62

how could they afford to leave?

Any ACC school that wants to leave the conference would have to challenge the grant of rights. Florida State and all other ACC members signed a grant of rights with the league that runs through 2036, the length of its television contract with ESPN, that gives the league control over its media rights -- including television revenue and home game broadcasts in all sports. In addition, any school that wants to leave the ACC would have to pay an exit fee of three times the league's operating budget, or roughly $120 million.

how could they afford to leave?

Any ACC school that wants to leave the conference would have to challenge the grant of rights. Florida State and all other ACC members signed a grant of rights with the league that runs through 2036, the length of its television contract with ESPN, that gives the league control over its media rights -- including television revenue and home game broadcasts in all sports. In addition, any school that wants to leave the ACC would have to pay an exit fee of three times the league's operating budget, or roughly $120 million.
Lawyers will work on that I am sure. Any billionaire alums of FSU? Right now would be a great time for them to fund raise to exit.

Lawyers will work on that I am sure. Any billionaire alums of FSU? Right now would be a great time for them to fund raise to exit.
Good point. I think SMU even got their boosters to commit to $200 mil for the hit they’re going to take for joining the ACC and receiving no media $.

They just got a $1 million advance from State of FL Technically, it's for "challenging the CFP Committee", but what better way than by saying, "Fellow ACC AD Boo Corrigan, as chair of the committee, negatively affected those 'rights' in the first place. His place on the committee was harmful to the conference. GOR null and void. End of story".

FSU will see opt-outs galore. Why? Because "the committee" told them their season didn't matter. College football died 12/3/2023 .

You would have to add a 3rd digit to the score board for this offensive (read no defense) game. something like 24-28 points per team per quar

FSU will see opt-outs galore. Why? Because "the committee" told them their season didn't matter. College football died 12/3/2023 .
Sad day when 17-18 year old football players will be making more money than heart surgeons.
College football is already dead. There is nothing collegiate or amateur about it anymore.

Maybe the bottom 120 NCAA football programs should bolt from the NCAA? Form their own association.
Leave the other schools ( I mean teams since school is an irrelevant term) that have a chance at a title to compete against each other.

Reactions: GHawk

I’ve always enjoyed your inclusion on this board. You are a good poster.

FWIW, I agree with your betting line sentiment. It is based on getting action, but it also comes from the betting publics perception of who the best team is. With that said, when you get up into that double digit figure, it is generally perceived there’s a significant advantage. Although I have noticed over the last several years, the parody of college football has gotten to the point there are way more double digit upsets than there used to be..

As far as FSU goes, I’m not necessarily a fan, and in fact of all those Florida teams I’ve probably liked Miami the best… But it was complete crap they didn’t get in.

Most of your adversaries in this thread, have personal agendas of various sorts, and although I do agree, Alabama is a better overall team they’ve proved a number of times this year they are no juggernaut!

And if we’re really going to start excluding teams that have the most talent, Georgia and Ohio State certainly have a gripe. A BIG gripe!!

All this to say, an undefeated power 5 team should have been in. It won’t matter going forward but it set a horrible precedent.

And the thing is all the legislation and fit throwing is ineffective. The only way things change is people literally have to quit caring to the point they don’t go to football games and unfortunately whiny fan, proud fan, fair fan… None of us are willing to quit watching.

If this egregious act was followed by 40% less viewers they would reevaluate. So we only have ourselves to blame

However…I am watching Georgia St/USU right now & the other 2 games today. The “other” teams are meaningful to me.

There is a very high likelihood. I will only watch the CFP as long as Michigan is playing, Maybe Washington… I’m not interested in these other teams. So I am doing my part 😳

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT