ADVERTISEMENT

149-184

Retro Hawk

Rookie
Jun 30, 2022
149: First things first, when Ferrari gets here, he has beaten Voinovich head to head, so I would assume Tom let's him have the spot.

157: Voinovich was a NCAA qualifier, and now could go to the bench. I wonder if he realized when he transfered that Anthony is better then him. I don't see him beating Franek either.

165: Can Kennedy beat Caliendo? Can Caliendo go up to 165?

174: Arnold is small for 184. Are they going to force him to go up just so Kennedy and Caliendo can both be in the lineup?

184: Now if the plan is not for Arnold to go up, we have a problem. Kennedy has wrestled, so he can not redshirt. Arnold is a freshman, so he can still redshirt. Arnold has also proven he is ready, as he has beaten two top 10 guys. Surely you don't redshirt him now. I was hoping Swafford would pan out, so I don't know how this will all go down now.

Reactions: el dub
Anthony has beaten VV this year but it was 2-1 with no takedowns scored. Anthony may be the better option but I would caution anyone against putting a lot of eggs into that basket for points scored at nationals

Anthony has beaten VV this year but it was 2-1 with no takedowns scored. Anthony may be the better option but I would caution anyone against putting a lot of eggs into that basket for points scored at nationals

The Ferraris are all great defensive wrestlers who don't give up takedowns very often, they may not score bonus points necessarily but they aren't going to lose too many low scoring matches either. Anthony may not be a sure fire All-American candidate this year, but 2-2 is certainly a reasonable prediction and that's likely better than VV would do (this year anyway).

The Ferraris are all great defensive wrestlers who don't give up takedowns very often, they may not score bonus points necessarily but they aren't going to lose too many low scoring matches either. Anthony may not be a sure fire All-American candidate this year, but 2-2 is certainly a reasonable prediction and that's likely better than VV would do (this year anyway).
Let's say you project VV going 0-2 at nationals but Anthony making it to the QFs before bowing out (and so goes 2-2). In that case VV scores 0 points while Anthony scores 2 points (plus bonus, which is not likely to happen based on his style). That's not a significant difference. if VV wins 1 or even 2 matches then the difference is even more negligible

Reactions: el dub
The point VV got was a riding point with double legs in, and Ferrari almost escaped 2-3 times before he finally got legs in. Ferrari’s 2 points were stall points because VV ran off mat several times while Ferrari was attacking. Someone here said they are very familiar with each other which also leads to close matches. I think Ferrari has more room for improvement this year because that was the first actual matches he’s had in 2 years, must has a lot of rust.

149: First things first, when Ferrari gets here, he has beaten Voinovich head to head, so I would assume Tom let's him have the spot.

157: Voinovich was a NCAA qualifier, and now could go to the bench. I wonder if he realized when he transfered that Anthony is better then him. I don't see him beating Franek either.

165: Can Kennedy beat Caliendo? Can Caliendo go up to 165?

174: Arnold is small for 184. Are they going to force him to go up just so Kennedy and Caliendo can both be in the lineup?

184: Now if the plan is not for Arnold to go up, we have a problem. Kennedy has wrestled, so he can not redshirt. Arnold is a freshman, so he can still redshirt. Arnold has also proven he is ready, as he has beaten two top 10 guys. Surely you don't redshirt him now. I was hoping Swafford would pan out, so I don't know how this will all go down now.
149 - If Anthony is here and in good standing I expect he'll win the job.

157 - Franek. No question

165 - Caliendo was active in losing to an elite wrestler (despite what the refs thought). I think he's better suited to score points at 165 than PK.

174 - PK returning to the mat at 174 today tells me that's where the coaches think he's a better option at that weight than Gabe. Kennedy has already taken a RS so that's out.

184- Gabe is our only legit option at 184 going forward. He's better suited for 74 but it seems that's going to be PKs spot so either Gabe goes 84 or takes his RS. FWIW, we are in exactly the same situation next year so I see Gabe in the lineup the rest of the year, especially with rumors of Swafford being out.

165 - Caliendo was active in losing to an elite wrestler (despite what the refs thought). I think he's better suited to score points at 165 than PK.

174 - PK returning to the mat at 174 today tells me that's where the coaches think he's a better option at that weight than Gabe. Kennedy has already taken a RS so that's out.

184- Gabe is our only legit option at 184 going forward. He's better suited for 74 but it seems that's going to be PKs spot so either Gabe goes 84 or takes his RS. FWIW, we are in exactly the same situation next year so I see Gabe in the lineup the rest of the year, especially with rumors of Swafford being out.
Kennedy wrestling 174 today in no way means the coaches think he’s a better option than Gabe at that weight.

Or they just felt PK 174 and Gabe 184 was the best path to victory today. I’d rather have Arnold at his optimum weight at NCAAs for four years.

Anyway Glazier can make 184 when Mr Fast Twitch joins the lineup at semester?
I'm not sure the cut would be manageable. He's not a huge 97 bulk wise, but he is six foot. He finished high school as a 182 but started as a lightweight as a freshman, so he was definitely on a growth trajectory.

If it worked, it might sense for the lineup though. 84 is not super deep this year.

Reactions: AFHawk86

Next we get Angelo, who I imagine will be D-1 ready day one at 184. We may see one lineup for duals and then a different lineup come B10 tournament time.

Anthony and VV have wrestled each other a lot so I don't know if I would put a lot of stock in close match results. Also, I don't think Anthony had wrestled a live match in a few years.

Descent plan does not allow for it or he already has a big pull to 197? He does not look very big at 197 but everyone carries weight differently.

I think if he were able, he would have tried to get down last year to challenge Abe. I think we might see one of two things assuming AJ is going 2nd semester:

197-Glazier
HWY-AJ

or

197-AJ
HWY-Kueter

A lot is going to depend on AJ's weight and/or Kueter's readiness to wrestle.

Giving kennedy 74 is a stretch, he is not healthy and clearly not in wrestling shape. Wrestling yesterday was strictly a better option to win and move Gabe up. Hate to waste a year for Gabe wrestling up but next year brands is back is then what too.

I think if he were able, he would have tried to get down last year to challenge Abe. I think we might see one of two things assuming AJ is going 2nd semester:

197-Glazier
HWY-AJ

or

197-AJ
HWY-Kueter

Unless Abe was beating him easily in the room of course....

relax about kennedy’s conditioning it’s november and he just got back on the mat.

glazier had a great win and he has been a very solid backup but he won’t impact ferrari going 197. that is going in to happen if he’s eligible.

184 isn’t going to score points in march unless gabe goes there which i don’t know about. on one hand i think he can beat anybody at the weight class. on the other he is a bit undersized for the weight and it’s not ideal to take an elite true freshman out of redshirt when they aren’t at their best weight class.

relax about kennedy’s conditioning it’s november and he just got back on the mat.

glazier had a great win and he has been a very solid backup but he won’t impact ferrari going 197. that is going in to happen if he’s eligible.

184 isn’t going to score points in march unless gabe goes there which i don’t know about. on one hand i think he can beat anybody at the weight class. on the other he is a bit undersized for the weight and it’s not ideal to take an elite true freshman out of redshirt when they aren’t at their best weight class.
Very true. Just think about those weigh ins on Friday and Saturday at Nattys. Some 184s probably weigh 195lbs+ when they actually take the mat.

Reactions: eb05

197-Glazier
HWY-AJ

or

197-AJ
HWY-Kueter

Has there been any indication at all that AJ is trying to wrestle at Iowa next semester? Maybe I missed it.

Or is it all speculation/hope because his brothers are planning to wrestle here?

Please continue to question middle Ferrari, he is on a mission to shock the world and I for one feel Real good about him getting into the lineup at 149 at the new semester.
I’m pretty sure every Hawk fan is looking for someone to step up this year in the lineup and if it’s Ferrari than that’s awesome. There’s just unknowns until it happens.

197-Glazier
HWY-AJ

or

197-AJ
HWY-Kueter

I’m laying it all on the latter…. If I were a betting man that is.

197-Glazier
HWY-AJ

or

197-AJ
HWY-Kueter

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Kueter has a ton of questions moving forward given his dual sport attempt, and I’m wondering how Aj will be able to hold 197 in the future if his weight is already a question mark. If he’s not able to hold 197 then we have one spot (heavy) and two, in theory, exceptional wrestlers fighting for that one spot.

This will be the case next year at 165 (Caliendo, Pk), 174 (Pk, brands, Gabe, Angelo Ferrari), 184 (Gabe, Angelo). It seems we are building good depth in our middle and upper weights.

I would love to see us land a few light weight studs, and a 197.

I hope Gabe wrestles the weight he wants to wrestle and not the weight he feels like he needs to wrestle cause his teammates F’d up. It’s not his problem we have a hole at 84, but I have a feeling Gabe will do what’s best for the team and not best for himself cause I get the impression that’s just the type of person this young man is.

Best lineup opportunity?

165: Cal/PK
174: Gabe
184: Glaze
197: Ferrari
Hwt: Ben

May not be possible for Glazier to drop 13lbs but it might be ideal for the team if he could make it work effectively. I think this would be better than than asking PK and Gabe to wrestle undersized, imho of course

Reactions: IRONBIRD
do they not certify at the beginning of the year and then they cannot wrestle below that certifying weight. if so i assume glazier certified at 197

Reactions: west2east
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT