ADVERTISEMENT

149-184

149 - If Anthony is here and in good standing I expect he'll win the job.

157 - Franek. No question

165 - Caliendo was active in losing to an elite wrestler (despite what the refs thought). I think he's better suited to score points at 165 than PK.

174 - PK returning to the mat at 174 today tells me that's where the coaches think he's a better option at that weight than Gabe. Kennedy has already taken a RS so that's out.

184- Gabe is our only legit option at 184 going forward. He's better suited for 74 but it seems that's going to be PKs spot so either Gabe goes 84 or takes his RS. FWIW, we are in exactly the same situation next year so I see Gabe in the lineup the rest of the year, especially with rumors of Swafford being out.
Doesn’t make sense to me having PK up a weight at 174. That’s Arnold’s spot. Hopefully he’s making the descent as we speak. Arnold will be s as better wrestler next season if he is allowed to compete this year.

Reactions: goldenanimal
It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Kueter has a ton of questions moving forward given his dual sport attempt, and I’m wondering how Aj will be able to hold 197 in the future if his weight is already a question mark. If he’s not able to hold 197 then we have one spot (heavy) and two, in theory, exceptional wrestlers fighting for that one spot.

This will be the case next year at 165 (Caliendo, Pk), 174 (Pk, brands, Gabe, Angelo Ferrari), 184 (Gabe, Angelo). It seems we are building good depth in our middle and upper weights.

I would love to see us land a few light weight studs, and a 197.
It will be interesting, but at this point you have to give the edge to AJ - and we need the absolute best on the mat.
Sucks for Kueter as I want to see him as much as anyone - but I'm in the camp that as long as football is still in the mix he'll always be good instead of great.

Also, is it confirmed that Nelson is coming back? Idk if he can take Gabe after another year of development.

Reactions: el dub and Sandor45
Be good competition in the room at 149. He's been in school since June working to get his credits. He's done everything asked of him so far. Good for Anthony

Brands indicated previously that PK would be at 165 for the Salute.
I know a lot of folks aren’t super excited for the Soldier Salute, but for this team, this year it should answer a lot of questions going forward. There’s some decent competition at the event and hopefully we see Caliendo vs PK and VV vs AF part 2.

It will be interesting, but at this point you have to give the edge to AJ - and we need the absolute best on the mat.
Sucks for Kueter as I want to see him as much as anyone - but I'm in the camp that as long as football is still in the mix he'll always be good instead of great.

Also, is it confirmed that Nelson is coming back? Idk if he can take Gabe after another year of development.
I would think the plan would be for Brands to start beefing up now, so he’s a stronger 184 than last time, redshirt Angelo so he can grow into the weight. He’s halfway through senior year and can still make 165. Gabe at 174. Pk or caliendo will have to sit or transfer. Don’t think either can do 157, and I think that is a good weight for Ferrari next year. 149 has to be rugged cut, especially when he said he’s comfortable going 165.

Reactions: so cal hawkfan
IA wrestle just reported that Anthony Ferrari is expected to join the team at 2nd semester, will wrestle attached at Solider Salute. Have to expect him to take over at 149.
It's a shame Van Ness is out. Was looking forward to a rematch of their match in the heated Blair-Bergen dual that took place a month after the Ferraris were expelled from Blair for fighting with teammates.

You can't apply for a medical hardship year until after the season. I wouldn't hold my breath on seeing Brands again, with all that's happened, but I hope I'm wrong.
Has this been confirmed?
Yes. He certified at 197, according to insiders.
I would think the plan would be for Brands to start beefing up now, so he’s a stronger 184 than last time, redshirt Angelo so he can grow into the weight. He’s halfway through senior year and can still make 165. Gabe at 174. Pk or caliendo will have to sit or transfer. Don’t think either can do 157, and I think that is a good weight for Ferrari next year. 149 has to be rugged cut, especially when he said he’s comfortable going 165.
I'm pretty sure Angelo has stated he doesn't want to redshirt.

I keep seeing a lot of posts about AJ Ferrari coming to Iowa at some point. Has that been confirmed somewhere? Is it just fan hope and hype or is there something concrete to this?

Kinda agree

As much as I would hate to see it, given the loyalty of the Kennedy family, just not seeing a spot in the lineup for PK.

Reactions: Libertylover
I keep seeing a lot of posts about AJ Ferrari coming to Iowa at some point. Has that been confirmed somewhere? Is it just fan hope and hype or is there something concrete to this?
all Speculation because the two brothers are here. He hasn't been accepted yet but there is talks that he has an apartment right next to carver with his brother???

There’s some smoke to it, but also a lot of hope from Hawk fans looking for a real shot in the arm. I’ll believe it when I see him run out in the black n gold.

I believe AJ will be a HAWK at some point. When is anyones guess right now. You can tell by all the chatter on the site that said 149 Ferrari is cleared for take off. That many fans, including the F*** st bandwagon fans, are getting real nervous!

You can't apply for a medical hardship year until after the season. I wouldn't hold my breath on seeing Brands again, with all that's happened, but I hope I'm wrong.

In an interview this pre-season Nelson said he has another year if he wants it and said he was going to take it. If he comes back the Hawks will have to decide, does he go 174 and Gabe redshirts (assuming his shirt gets pulled this year)? Does he bulk up and go 184 and redshirt Angelo with Gabe at 174. Does Nelson bulk up, wrestle 184, Gabe red shirts and Angelo wrestles 174? Good problems to have. 3 very good options

I know he doesn’t want to, but I see no other way to get Brands into lineup, and it would be good for Angelo even though he can’t see it now. It will be a moot point if Brands passes up his last year, unless we put Riggins in at 184 and redshirt Angelo😉😉

• Sad
Reactions: parchy
Stating the obvious here, but AJ at Hwt likely means we never see BK in a varsity singlet?

In an interview this pre-season Nelson said he has another year if he wants it and said he was going to take it. If he comes back the Hawks will have to decide, does he go 174 and Gabe redshirts (assuming his shirt gets pulled this year)? Does he bulk up and go 184 and redshirt Angelo with Gabe at 174. Does Nelson bulk up, wrestle 184, Gabe red shirts and Angelo wrestles 174? Good problems to have. 3 very good options
This last option isn’t bad if Gabe goes this year, because I think Angelo’s size, much like Gabe this year, will be better suited for 174 as true freshman. Ohio State was going to do the trade off redshirt years thing with their 2 133 stud freshman until they bumped Mendez to 141 this year.

Reactions: IRONBIRD
I believe AJ will be a HAWK at some point. When is anyones guess right now. You can tell by all the chatter on the site that said 149 Ferrari is cleared for take off. That many fans, including the F*** st bandwagon fans, are getting real nervous!
No Penn State fans are nervous, LOL. If Anthony is 149 and AJ 197 vs Penn State this year, both will lose.

• Haha
Reactions: Spoons
But @IRONBIRD wants to be called 'SIR IRON' by PSU fans. Surely 'Sir' implies some sort of chivalry.
Or it just exemplifies the delusions of a deranged man / fanatic who’s become a bit of character on this board and now it appears, another.

Anyone that consistently comes up with new monikers while waxing poetic, long soliloquy’s, about the great “Krailure” and the psu program, (among other things) while using all caps in random intervals, perhaps should not be taken literally. Iron man does not seem to be a person that thinks a great deal before his fingers fly. He writes what he feels and not necessarily what he means.

Last edited:
Stating the obvious here, but AJ at Hwt likely means we never see BK in a varsity singlet?
I know there was some discussion around AJ 197 or 285 but has there been anything more about him to 285? The tweet mentions 197 but nothing more.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT