ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa at Nebraska PBP

I would factor being able to escape heavily in my recruiting assessment.
I wouldn't. The blue chippers usually are fine but many college freshman struggle on bottom. Very common. Not all high school coaches have the ability to teach a guy to get out from multiple positions underneath. Lack of quality D-1 level training partners also Inhibits high school wrestlers.

The Brands have helped countless recruits get out from bottom better over the years. Sometimes it just takes a year or two in the room for it to click. And sometimes it never clicks unfortunately. Thankfully that's rare at Iowa.

Abe didn’t just forget how to wrestle all of sudden.
Fair enough but he doesn't have a win over a wrestle stat top 20 this year and his best wins are 6-3 over 11-10 #29 Lyon. 5-2 over 10-6 #23: Braunagel and 4-2 over 9-11 #28 Weiler.

Reactions: Gobblin
It is way too early to declare Abe a non AA. Rocky Jordan made the round of 12 out of the 24 seed last year solely due to his path not being hard. Both Nelson and Abe are clearly better than Rocky Jordan.

The point of this post is to say Abe could be seeded in the 20s and still place with the right draw. Nobody can definitively say he’s not placing at this point.

I feel really bad for Kemerer. Just looks like a shell of himself. Can't get to his offense against good wrestlers, has to depend on his defense and counter offense to get anything. Shoulder is held together with cooking twine and duct tape. I guess that's what a decade of college wrestling will do to a body.
I can't imagine how frustrating it has to be for Kemmerer. To say he is 60% of his normal self would probably be generous. He has to wrestle a completely different style against the top guys, and most of them are counter wrestlers as well which makes for close low scoring matches now. I'm hoping for a Cory Clark type tourney, but bonus will be hard to come by for him (and Drake now too). Without Spencer, Eierman not pinning like the past, and Kemmerer so banged up I'm afraid the bonus come tourney time will be lucky to be half of what it was last year. I'm hoping this will change in the next month, but not banking on it. The Hawks are just so banged up this year it is frustrating to say the least.

I remember thinking the same of Cory Clark, especially right around the time he lost to a Nebraska wrestler (Montoya) near the end of dual season, in a match where he got uncharacteristically outscrambled. Grit and pure determination led him to the top of the podium that year.

I think Kem has plenty of grit and determination himself.
I wouldn't say Kemdawg is a shell of his former self, but he clearly doesn't have the horsepower he did previously, which is a damn shame. He's in a far better position than Matt McDonough was with his injury his Senior year IMO.

Kem can still win the whole thing, he blew a golden opportunity last year, that one will stick in my craw to the grave. He seems like such a great kid.

Most (not all) of our Team has been lethargic overall this year IMO. The bonus point rate has to be abysmal in comparison to previous years for several guys (Kem gets a pass). They still have individual and Team goals to pursue, all within reach, but I wonder if losing Spencer took a bit of wind out of their sails. Huge loss obviously, but they can collectively still make it happen. They have to be better to have a shot.

I wouldn't say Kemdawg is a shell of his former self, but he clearly doesn't have the horsepower he did previously, which is a damn shame. He's in a far better position than Matt McDonough was with his injury his Senior year IMO.

Kem can still win the whole thing, he blew a golden opportunity last year, that one will stick in my craw to the grave. He seems like such a great kid.

Most (not all) of our Team has been lethargic overall this year IMO. The bonus point rate has to be abysmal in comparison to previous years for several guys (Kem gets a pass). They still have individual and Team goals to pursue, all within reach, but I wonder if losing Spencer took a bit of wind out of their sails. Huge loss obviously, but they can collectively still make it happen. They have to be better to have a shot.
I watched The B1G Story last night. Terry says you have to “paint a new picture.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT