ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa at Nebraska PBP

I agree with Ironside about tonight's dual: Nebraska wrestled really well, things went their way in four matches.

10 positives:
1. Ayala is back and looked solid.
2. ADS.
3. Eierman with back points.
4. Turk had the right strategy, just not quite good enough to pull it off. Deja vu.
5. Kaleb looking best he has looked all season.
6. Marinelli trying hard for back points.
7. Kem & Assad quick first-period TDs.
8. Warner would be undefeated if matches were 6 min long.
9. Cass is tough.
10. Enjoy your celebration, Nebraska. Scoreboard says you lost.

I agree with Ironside about tonight's dual: Nebraska wrestled really well, things went their way in four matches.

10 positives:
2. ADS.
4. Turk had the right strategy, just not quite good enough to pull it off. Deja vu.
9. Cass is tough.

Nebby's been counting close losses to Iowa as W's for several years now.

Drake looked pretty sharp considering.

Austin in machine mode.

One of Jaydin's better matches this year.

Turk wrestled hard.

Great win by Kaleb.

Bull looking solid.

Even old dogs like Kem need some extra motivation sometimes. If he converts his shots he wins.

Abe just doesn't seem to have the "want to" needed to get the job done. Toughness just isn't there. Standing pat with him at 184 uncontested moving forward is a mistake.

Anyone who watches Iowa wrestling knew how 197 would end.

Solid win by Tony. Nebby guy was content to lose.

10 positives:
2. ADS.
9. Cass is tough.
#8 is telling. That’s an interesting fact (I assume it’s true based on my memory).

Austin in machine mode.

Turk wrestled hard.

Great win by Kaleb.

Bull looking solid.

Even old dogs like Kem need some extra motivation sometimes. If he converts his shots he wins.

Abe just doesn't seem to have the "want to" needed to get the job done. Toughness just isn't there. Standing pat with him at 184 uncontested moving forward is a mistake.

I’m finally watching The B1G Story and Desanto wrestles with the same mentality as the Brands. He has the same motor just not as proficient a skill set.

I just don’t get hope DeSantos can tech fall or major everyone and then just can’t beat the champs. There’s hardly no in between.

So frustrating to see Warner lose the same way time after time. Just once I wish he'd trust his coaches and try to build on a lead with offense instead of hanging on for a win in the 3rd. Just never seems to work for him yet he keeps doing the same damn thing.

I just don’t get hope DeSantos can tech fall or major everyone and then just can’t beat the champs. There’s hardly no in between.

That's why they are the best, they are hard to beat.

As they said in Big Tony's match. He has 8 losses in his career, one fluke aside he has only lost to Gable and Parris and none of them have been close.

Reactions: Bucky712
So frustrating to see Warner lose the same way time after time. Just once I wish he'd trust his coaches and try to build on a lead with offense instead of hanging on for a win in the 3rd. Just never seems to work for him yet he keeps doing the same damn thing.
Just doing the math in my head he’s like 67-17 career and a 3x AA. I agree with what you’re saying but he’s certainly had some success.

Not that hard to understand. Elite wrestlers tend to have close, low scoring matches against one another, even if they score a lot of points in their other matches. DeSanto, Fix, and RBY wreck pretty much everyone, but when the three of them wrestle one another, it is close and low scoring. DeSanto might even look better while wrestling the other guys, but that doesn't make him the better wrestler. Dean Hamiti is a perfect example of this. Scores tons of points and bonuses almost everyone, but then he wrestles Marinelli and has almost no offense and loses.

Reactions: Bucky712
Not that hard to understand. Elite wrestlers tend to have close, low scoring matches against one another, even if they score a lot of points in their other matches. DeSanto, Fix, and RBY wreck pretty much everyone, but when the three of them wrestle one another, it is close and low scoring. DeSanto might even look better while wrestling the other guys, but that doesn't make him the better wrestler. Dean Hamiti is a perfect example of this. Scores tons of points and bonuses almost everyone, but then he wrestles Marinelli and has almost no offense and loses.
Thanks for the explanation. I’m still new to wrestling and have watched more this year than any other year.

Austin in machine mode.

Turk wrestled hard.

Great win by Kaleb.

Bull looking solid.

Let’s hold off on our outlook on Abe going forward until after the post season…. I suspect he may look much different in a couple more weeks.

Alex Thomsen is the reason why I don’t question Iowa’s recruiting strategy anymore. I really wanted him to be a hawk. I thought his big throw ability combined with Iowa’s pressure would be a great combination. Turns out those guys and their fancy Olympic medals may know more than us.

Let’s hold off on our outlook on Abe going forward until after the post season…. I suspect he may look much different in a couple more weeks.
hope you are right. Watching him, it just seems as if something is off. Sick, slight injury, nagging injury......etc. Just hasn't looked the same the past 2 weeks. Hope he comes out in 2 weeks and kicks some tail.

hope you are right. Watching him, it just seems as if something is off. Sick, slight injury, nagging injury......etc. Just hasn't looked the same the past 2 weeks. Hope he comes out in 2 weeks and kicks some tail.

The better wrestlers are riding Abe like a pony: Brooks, Hidlay, Greer, and Venz. He doesn't give up on bottom, but he's not getting out before giving up riding time advantage and then he's behind the eight-ball. In my view, this is the biggest deficiency in his wrestling and it's going to be hard for him to go far at nationals if he can't crack the code. Given his combination of athleticism and significant core strength, I expect him to solve the problem sooner or later. Let's hope for sooner.

I hope you’re right, but I question whether he should choose bottom versus the better riders. An escape is only worth 1 point and choosing neutral would give him more time to score in his area of strength rather than getting worn out on the mat.

I hope you’re right, but I question whether he should choose bottom versus the better riders. An escape is only worth 1 point and choosing neutral would give him more time to score in his area of strength rather than getting worn out on the mat.
Won’t disagree with that…

I feel really bad for Kemerer. Just looks like a shell of himself. Can't get to his offense against good wrestlers, has to depend on his defense and counter offense to get anything. Shoulder is held together with cooking twine and duct tape. I guess that's what a decade of college wrestling will do to a body.

agreed. he was actually wrestling pretty well. the toughness comments are a little premature. he got planted because he was too stubborn and fought a slick shot from venz too long. a little less fight would have actually done him some good there.

it's kind of strange. i don't remember him having issues underneath until the last two weeks.

I wonder if he gets too tired from trying to build riding time. I'd just try to build 20-30 seconds with each takedown and try to win more on his feet.

I hope so because the last couple weeks are trending the wrong way.

I wonder if he gets too tired from trying to build riding time. I'd just try to build 20-30 seconds with each takedown and try to win more on his feet.
i'd apply that to most of the team. seems like they try to win the hardest way possible. it takes a lot of energy to run guys across the mat with a spiral ride over and over again and for what? one riding time point? and when's the last time we saw a guy (other than desanto and his cowboy tilt) turn somebody this year? most guys don't even manage to break guys down flat. spiral-mat return-spiral-mat return, etc... awful to watch and a tough way to make a living.

this team is not dynamic right now. they are very good, not great. i see another performance with a lot of mid-aa's, but no champs. i just don't think our guys can reliably create enough of their own offense to get it done.

He does tire himself out at times riding. Riding time is nice but unless you are a monster on top planning to win via riding time is kinda dicey. I will say even though he lost his shape seems to be building to post season level which is good.

Reactions: Gobblin
The better wrestlers are riding Abe like a pony: Brooks, Hidlay, Greer, and Venz. He doesn't give up on bottom, but he's not getting out before giving up riding time advantage and then he's behind the eight-ball. In my view, this is the biggest deficiency in his wrestling and it's going to be hard for him to go far at nationals if he can't crack the code. Given his combination of athleticism and significant core strength, I expect him to solve the problem sooner or later. Let's hope for sooner.
Being poor on bottom is one of the most frustrating deficiencies a wrestler can have, not only frustrating but very detrimental to winning. You give up RT points, you don't get escape points and guys are gun shy from neutral for fear of giving up a TD and ending up on bottom. I would factor being able to escape heavily in my recruiting assessment.

Is this implying he is hurt?
Interpret it however you’d like…. It’s just a statement of fact.

Not trying to be snarky. I truly think we’ll see a much better version of Abe back in Lincoln when March rolls in.

I feel really bad for Kemerer. Just looks like a shell of himself. Can't get to his offense against good wrestlers, has to depend on his defense and counter offense to get anything. Shoulder is held together with cooking twine and duct tape. I guess that's what a decade of college wrestling will do to a body.
I remember thinking the same of Cory Clark, especially right around the time he lost to a Nebraska wrestler (Montoya) near the end of dual season, in a match where he got uncharacteristically outscrambled. Grit and pure determination led him to the top of the podium that year.

I think Kem has plenty of grit and determination himself.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT