ADVERTISEMENT

MIDLANDS SESSION 3

After first few dual meets of the season, some people were panicking about Kemdawg, most knew not to panic... Lo and Behold, our big 3 of Gilman, Clark, and Sorensen looks like they may be undergoing mutation to the Fantastic 4.. Gilman, Clark, Sorensen, and Kemerer.
Thoroughly impresses by Carton's tournament. After watching all his matches, I am less concerned with 141 after the Turk injury. The kid is kid has some talent and never quits.

And a missing man formation for Clark will be flown tonight

Plus:

Marinelli going for third
Young going for fifth
Meyer going for third
Brooks going for third
Sam Stoll going for third (Great showing by Sam...Word's out though on his lack of bottom prowess)
He struggled a little early last year with it and then after the knee he could not get up and out. At this point I think he is still building lungs, strength and explosion to get up and out and Jensen is known for legging as well.

Anybody willing to do a quick rundown of what Nebraska still has alive on the front and back. Traveling with spotty data and track won't load for me. I assume they are the only ones with a chance to catch the hawks.

I am very confused on how that was stalling on Stoll.
Sam was getting a lot of those push out stall calls when the rule first came out, it seems that now the emphasis is in you must allow your opponent to circle back in... don't reward sumo moves. I'm not judging one way or another but i think they have adjusted the call a bit.

Reactions: Vallholl
Thoroughly impresses by Carton's tournament. After watching all his matches, I am less concerned with 141 after the Turk injury. The kid is kid has some talent and never quits.
I agree for the most part; however, he's round of 12 at best right now. Needs to keep getting better, especially being more offensive in the first period.

Anybody willing to do a quick rundown of what Nebraska still has alive on the front and back. Traveling with spotty data and track won't load for me. I assume they are the only ones with a chance to catch the hawks.
So we go H2h with Nebbie at 125. Gilman v Lambert. Gilman has a couple wins over him in the past.
133- Nebbie has Montoya going against Richards. Laux been out.
141- Chad Red is going for 3rd. Carton placed 7th. Although I don't think Red is a point scorer. McCrystal probably was and he's out.
149- Jordan Shearer is out. We've got Brando in the finals.
157- Tyler Berger v Kemmerer.
165- Dustin Williams is out. Our scorer Gunther is out.
174- Micah Barnes is out. Meyer going for 3rd.
184- Their big gun Tim Dudley in the finals. Sam Brooks for 3rd.
197- Aaron Studebaker in the finals. Wilcke out.
Hwt- Nebraska has two Jensens at Hwt. One, David is out, the other Collin is going for 5th. Not sure who the scorer is.

I think Iowa is going to pull away quite a bit here.

I agree for the most part; however, he's round of 12 at best right now. Needs to keep getting better, especially being more offensive in the first period.

Not quite sure I understand how 7th at the Midlands, where only 3 of the top 8 and 4 of the top 12 competed, and losing to #16 in the process, translates to possible round of 12.

Carton had an ok tournament. I feel better about him qualifying for the NCAAs now. But that's about it.

So we go H2h with Nebbie at 125. Gilman v Lambert. Gilman has a couple wins over him in the past.
133- Nebbie has Montoya going against Richards. Laux been out.
141- Chad Red is going for 3rd. Carton placed 7th. Although I don't think Red is a point scorer. McCrystal probably was and he's out.
149- Jordan Shearer is out. We've got Brando in the finals.
157- Tyler Berger v Kemmerer.
165- Dustin Williams is out. Our scorer Gunther is out.
174- Micah Barnes is out. Meyer going for 3rd.
184- Their big gun Tim Dudley in the finals. Sam Brooks for 3rd.
197- Aaron Studebaker in the finals. Wilcke out.
Hwt- Nebraska has two Jensens at Hwt. One, David is out, the other Collin is going for 5th. Not sure who the scorer is.

I think Iowa is going to pull away quite a bit here.

133 it's not fair that Montoya has to wrestle Zane alone, we all know Zane's level would allow him to take on 2,3 maybe even 4 guys at a time without a struggle.

Not quite sure I understand how 7th at the Midlands, where only 3 of the top 8 and 4 of the top 12 competed, and losing to #16 in the process, translates to possible round of 12.

Carton had an ok tournament. I feel better about him qualifying for the NCAAs now. But that's about it.
Very perceptive, thus my statement, "He's round of 12 at best right now."

How many escapes did our 2 heavyweights combine for? Gotta be able to get out from underneath.

Yeah I mean it is almost like one is a small, inexperienced HWT and the other is wrestling his first competitions since major knee surgery.

I think Stoll used to 'post' in the stand up with the injured leg. Sort of like going from right handed to left handed. And yeah, that turd Jensen did the same thing at the Big Tens.

Sam was getting a lot of those push out stall calls when the rule first came out, it seems that now the emphasis is in you must allow your opponent to circle back in... don't reward sumo moves. I'm not judging one way or another but i think they have adjusted the call a bit.
Precisely what I predicted when the rule was announced. No consistency in its application. Simple solution: The push-out rule. I think the rules committee will eventually pull their collective heads out and come around to this realization.

Reactions: artradley
He struggled a little early last year with it and then after the knee he could not get up and out. At this point I think he is still building lungs, strength and explosion to get up and out and Jensen is known for legging as well.
I'm not all that concerned. A heavyweight coming off an ACL repair who's not yet back into match shape should be expected to struggle some in the bottom position early on. I'm really impressed that Sam is going for 3rd. As his shape comes around and he trusts the knee more, I think we'll see his bottom game pick up quite a bit.

Precisely what I predicted when the rule was announced. No consistency in its application. Simple solution: The push-out rule. I think the rules committee will eventually pull their collective heads out and come around to this realization.
so for now it seems like a wrestler specific call. If a guy got the benefit before - he gets called. If a guy is unknown he gets screwed. Jeez the guy (Hall) just grabbed Sammy by the nuts every time he stood up and rushed him off the mat. Hall is ranked (i assume) - and he gets the calls ...

Kemmerer dominates T-shirt 11-2. Whoah, didn't see that coming! Atta boy Mikey!
Not surprised...Kem is a STUD. I would also not be surprised if he gets a shot at Nolf for the championship. Him winning that match however would be a surprise. I like him a lot, you got a great one there....PA PROUD

Reactions: purescurve
I'm not all that concerned. A heavyweight coming off an ACL repair who's not yet back into match shape should be expected to struggle some in the bottom position early on. I'm really impressed that Sam is going for 3rd. As his shape comes around and he trusts the knee more, I think we'll see his bottom game pick up quite a bit.
I'm with you WDM. I doubt he trusts the knee enough to try any explosive moves. Getting out from bottom would be pretty methodical at this point.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
Is it me or are Gilman's post match antics just getting ridiculous at this point? He is a 5th year senior and team leader. Is it too much to ask him to lead by example? No one else in the country acts as consistently dickish as Gilman. Did Terao just show him that he is not as good as thinks he is. He just went to the top of my list for those of hope lose in 5ots in the NCAA finals. What a complete idiot!!!
Go back to your own forum doosh

My take away from what I have seen so far is Iowa has sure as hell stepped up their game as compared to last couple of years. Alot more aggressive. Good job guys and am looking forward to watching BTN tonight. Meyer will get weatherspoon next time. Great wrestling Both Alex'es and can't wait till stoll wrestles nevills. Go Iowa- when you aren't wrestling Lions.

Reactions: TailgateTom
Welp - I'm pleasantly surprised at how well Stoll did.
And I'm half assed hoping he takes a MFF - and just returns for Jan 15 v OKST.
And then for PSU / OSU / Medbery ...

My way would be to go balls in on all meets / matches .. but that time era has changed

Welp - I'm pleasantly surprised at how well Stoll did.
And I'm half assed hoping he takes a MFF - and just returns for Jan 15 v OKST.
And then for PSU / OSU / Medbery ...

My way would be to go balls in on all meets / matches .. but that time era has changed
Agreed. A win or loss by him wouldn't be the difference maker for us in this tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT