ADVERTISEMENT

*************NCAA Wrestling Championship Finals************

They were wrestling hard and they pulled away from Fix, Eierman, Kemerer, and Hidlay. The odds of that happening are in your favor when you make sure they’re in your favor. It’s all about the blood.

Reactions: MVPFAN
It means it’s all about the blood. If you don’t know go take a look around pro cycling. They cracked the code three decades ago.

They were wrestling hard and they pulled away from Fix, Eierman, Kemerer, and Hidlay. The odds of that happening are in your favor when you make sure they’re in your favor. It’s all about the blood.
Exactly my thoughts watching the night unfold. Their blood was just better (strange).

Reactions: Iowabandwagon
It means Lance Armstrong called and said he's very impressed with PSU's endurance training, and (like him) their 100% track record of passing doping tests.

Correct, Lance passed every doping test he ever took. And whether or not he would be impressed with PSU endurance treigning he is probably not impressed with the NCAA testing. It’s easier to pass than a billboard. But then again everyone is subject to the same controls. Those are the rules, operate within them and may the best man win.

It means it’s all about the blood. If you don’t know go take a look around pro cycling. They cracked the code three decades ago.
Ahhh okay. US postal cycling. Was too young to really know what was happening with that at the time. That was the key point I missed. The rest of it makes sense now.

Their affiliation with Callavita, a “mad scientist” as I believe TJ put it, certainly doesn’t help the speculation. But that’s a pretty serious allegation, which requires pretty serious evidence.

Easy to have gas left when you let the motor run idle for 3 periods

This just cracked me up! I drove to the NCAAs in Cleveland and to pass time till the wrestling started my wife and I drove to the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame. We found a parking stall and went in and took the 4 hour tour of the place. As we approached our car to go back to the hotel my wife noticed the headlights were on Turns out I left the car running! And you are correct. when you let it idle it leave plenty of gas in the tank.:rolleyes:

Ahhh okay. US postal cycling. Was too young to really know what was happening with that at the time. That was the key point I missed. The rest of it makes sense now.

Their affiliation with Callavita, a “mad scientist” as I believe TJ put it, certainly doesn’t help the speculation. But that’s a pretty serious allegation, which requires pretty serious evidence.

More than evidence it will take a lot of motivation that will dirty the sport and no one wants that.

Like I said, NCAA testing is what it is. Play within its boundaries and may the best man win. I said the same of Lance’s situation. Cycling had its own set of controls to keep doping under some control and to keep cyclist from dying in their sleep. Haha true story.

Correct, Lance passed every doping test he ever took. And whether or not he would be impressed with PSU endurance treigning he is probably not impressed with the NCAA testing. It’s easier to pass than a billboard. But then again everyone is subject to the same controls. Those are the rules, operate within them and may the best man win.
The NCAA testing for dopers may be poor, and it might be easy to beat that testing. True statement. However, someone who does dope and beats the testing is still a cheater. Lance was a cheater, and I have no respect for that man (someone who I defended and admired his accomplishments). Even though he "beat" the system / passed all doping tests, truth is he was (is) a cheater.

The NCAA testing for dopers may be poor, and it might be easy to beat that testing. True statement. However, someone who does dope and beats the testing is still a cheater. Lance was a cheater, and I have no respect for that man (someone who I defended and admired his accomplishments). Even though he "beat" the system / passed all doping tests, truth is he was (is) a cheater.

So were all the other major players in the pro peloton. It is what it is. Lots of money, lots of egos, lots of riding. I know we all pride ourselves on wrestling being the toughest sport, and I agree, but these European tours are massive sufferfests. The Tour de France is 21 days long and those guys are consuming 8000 calories a day and still battling weigh loss. Riders do what they have to do to compete or simply avoid missing a time cutoff and being eliminated. Cycling is a big money sport and pro contracts easily reach into seven figures.

And for the sake of history, when US Postal first arrived in Europe to train in ‘98 other European teams were already ahead of the doping curve i.e. already using EPO. It was clear, US Postal simply couldn’t compete without and decisions were made. As Lance put it, all the other PED’s up to that point could give you a 1% edge, add in EPO and it was like rocket fuel.

What’s even more amazing, during those tours once Lance had established himself as the best rider with the best team, he would always do just enough to win in the end while giving up lots of stage wins to other respected riders. Like I said before, he was the smartest person in the sport and he orchestrated his victories with an amazing balance of political astuteness.

If it weren’t for the feds flashing badges and threatening jail time everyone is still calling Lance the seven time winner of the TDF. BTW, eventually someone up the chain of command called off the prosecutors and Lance was never tried in a criminal court.

Wrestler smarter is not to wrestle at all? Who cares about basketball
They "didn't wrestle" their way to 4 individual titles, so must be something to it.

As to your second question, 16.2M brackets created on ESPN for bball. Not sure I even see a bracket challenge for wrestling...so the short answer is, "a lot more than wrestling".

Last edited:
Tired of watching Oklahoma State and Penn State wrestlers win the way Courtney tried to win and failed.......
Like when Eireman backed off the mat and didn’t get dinged for stalling? Right after RBY almost got the match stolen from him with 2 bogus calls? Even the Iowa homer announcers pointed that out. You guys are delusIonal.

It was fun watching Nick Lee break him. Maybe JE doesn’t like tough wrestling.

Like when Eireman backed off the mat and didn’t get dinged for stalling? Right after RBY almost got the match stolen from him with 2 bogus calls? Even the Iowa homer announcers pointed that out. You guys are delusIonal.

It was fun watching Nick Lee break him. Maybe JE doesn’t like tough wrestling.
Eireman couldn't get through Lee's blocks so he figured he'd try their style instead.

But as I said, it only works for PSU and OSU guys.

Anything else you wanna comment on? :)

P.S. Iowa > Penn State = Oklahoma State

Eireman couldn't get through Lee's blocks so he figured he'd try their style instead.

If Eierman tried PSU’s style, he would have won. No further comment needed. :D

Reactions: Chips28

Eierman was totally gassed in the third period, had nothing left. If the same standard of calling stalls at 133 was in place for 141 he would have had at least 3 in the third (being kind in giving the same # as RBY got against Fix). The announcers were saying he was gassed, Iowa posters on this board have said he was gassed. Can you just not accept that he was beaten, fair and square?
The way I see it, Eierman and Lee are very evenly matched (same for RBY and Fix). If they wrestle 10 times each guy probably wins 5. Last night happened to be one where Lee was able to keep pressure on, Eierman ran out of gas and Lee got the decisive takedown.

From Intermat....

ST. LOUIS -- Iowa has won its 24th NCAA Division I wrestling team championship.

The top-ranked Hawkeyes mathematically clinched the team title during Saturday's medal round when Penn State failed to earn a fall at 197 pounds. It's the fourth team title for Iowa under head coach Tom Brands.

The Hawkeyes will enter tonight's championship finals with 125 points. Three Iowa wrestlers will compete for national titles: Spencer Lee (125), Jaydin Eierman (141) and Michael Kemerer (174).

Four Iowa wrestlers battled in Saturday's medal round. Austin DeSanto (133) and Tony Cassioppi (285) battled back to place third. Jacob Warner (197) finished fourth, while Kaleb Young (157) claimed seventh place.

"I know no matter what my teammates and coaches still love me, win or loss, and that's a great thing to have behind you … is an awesome team," said Austin DeSanto, who defeated Virginia Tech's Korbin Myers for third place. "No matter what happens, we're still getting better every day and they still love you.

"I wish I got it done this weekend, but didn't. Go back to Iowa City and regroup."

Penn State remains in second place with 97.5 points and four finalists.

Two Nittany Lion wrestlers, Michael Beard (197) and Greg Kerkvliet (285), earned seventh-place finishes Saturday. Beard needed sudden victory to defeat No. 8 Stephen Buchanan (Wyoming) 10-8, while Kerkvliet cruised to a 13-1 major decision over No. 21 Tate Orndorff (Ohio State).

Oklahoma State is in third place, two points behind Penn State. Four Cowboys competed in the medal round. Boo Lewallen (149) and Travis Wittlake (165) finished fourth. Dakota Geer (184) placed fifth. One of the biggest stories of the tournament was Oklahoma State's unlikely All-American Wyatt Sheets (157), who qualified as an injury replacement and the No. 33 seed. He was edged in the seventh-place match by Young, 3-2.

Daton Fix (133) and A.J. Ferrari (197) will compete in the NCAA finals tonight for Oklahoma State.

Northern Iowa's Parker Keckeisen placed third at 184 pounds (Photo/Tony Rotundo, WrestlersAreWarriors.com)

A pair of freshmen, Missouri's Keegan O'Toole (165) and Northern Iowa's Parker Keckeisen (184), both Wisconsin natives, battled back to place third.

Northwestern's Yahya Thomas (Northwestern) finished third after entering the tournament as the No. 25 seed. He defeated five top-10 seeds over three days.

Northwestern's Yahya Thomas placed third as the No. 25 seed (Photo/Tony Rotundo, WrestlersAreWarriors.com)

"I know how good I am," said Thomas. "I just know if I'm able to get to my offense and keep other guys from getting to their offense, then I'll be able to win big matches like I did this weekend. I think that really carried me throughout this tournament."

Another Northwestern wrestler, Ryan Deakin, rebounded from a tough semifinal loss to place third at 157 pounds. He edged No. 11 Jacori Teemer of Arizona State 1-0 in the third-place match.

Another top seed, Michigan's Myles Amine (197), came back to place third. The Olympian for San Marino defeated Iowa's Warner for third place.

Minnesota's Patrick McKee had a strong run through the consolation bracket (Photo/Tony Rotundo, WrestlersAreWarriors.com)

Minnesota's Patrick McKee, seeded No. 15, had a strong run through the consolation bracket to place third at 125 pounds.

At 141 pounds, NC State's Tariq Wilson rebounded from a semifinal loss to place third at the NCAAs for the second time in his career.

Nebraska's Mikey Labriola came back to place third at 174 pounds, avenging a loss to Cal Poly's Bernie Truax (Cal Poly) 8-3.

"I came in the fourth seed," said Labriola. "Really expecting myself to win this whole NCAA tournament. Things didn't go as planned. I got beat by the kid from Cal Poly, Bernie. He's a real tough kid. But I battled back and finished with third. I'm very proud of myself for that."

Tonight's NCAA finals are set for 6 p.m. CT.

Team Standings (Top 10)

1. Iowa 125
2. Penn State 97.5
3. Oklahoma State 95.5
4. Arizona State 74
5. Michigan 69
6. NC State 68
7. Missouri 64
8. Minnesota 60
9. Ohio State 46.5
10. Northwestern 45

NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships Medal Match Results

125:

1st No. 1 Spencer Lee (Iowa) vs. No. 3 Brandon Courtney (Arizona State)
3rd: No. 15 Patrick McKee (Minnesota) dec. No. 4 Drew Hildebrandt (Central Michigan), 5-3
5th: No. 7 Taylor LaMont (Utah Valley) dec. No. 2 Sam Latona (Virginia Tech), 4-1
7th: No. 17 Killian Cardinale (West Virginia) dec. No. 19 Eric Barnett (Wisconsin), 12-7

133:
1st: No. 1 Daton Fix (Oklahoma State) vs. No. 2 Roman Bravo-Young (Penn State)
3rd: No. 4 Austin DeSanto (Iowa) dec. No. 3 Korbin Myers (Virginia Tech), 10-6
5th: No. 7 Lucas Byrd (Illinois) pinned No. 9 Michael McGee (Arizona State), 6:17
7th: No. 8 Chris Cannon (Northwestern) maj. dec. No. 10 Louie Hayes (Virginia), 11-3

141:
1st: No. 1 Jaydin Eierman (Iowa) vs. No. 2 Nick Lee (Penn State)
3rd: No. 4 Tariq Wilson (NC State) maj. dec. No. 3 Sebastian Rivera (Rutgers), 15-5
5th: No. 14 Dylan Duncan (Illinois) dec. No. 8 Chad Red (Nebraska), 3-0
7th: No. 10 Zachary Sherman (North Carolina) dec. No. 15 Clay Carlson (South Dakota State), 11-4

149:
1st: No. 1 Sammy Sasso (Ohio State) vs. No. 2 Austin O'Connor (North Carolina)
3rd: No. 25 Yahya Thomas (Northwestern) dec. No. 4 Boo Lewallen (Oklahoma State), 5-3
5th: No. 3 Brock Mauller (Missouri) dec. No. 17 Kyle Parco (Fresno State), 8-5
7th: No. 8 Jaden Abas (Stanford) dec. No. 7 Jonathan Millner (Appalachian State), 5-3

157:
1st: No. 3 David Carr (Iowa State) vs. No. 4 Jesse Dellavecchia (Rider)
3rd: No. 1 Ryan Deakin (Northwestern) dec. No. 11 Jacori Teemer (Arizona State), 1-0
5th: No. 2 Hayden Hidlay (NC State) maj. dec. No. 6 Brayton Lee (Minnesota), 11-2
7th: No. 5 Kaleb Young (Iowa) dec. No. 33 Wyatt Sheets (Oklahoma State), 3-2

165:
1st: No. 3 Jake Wentzel (Pittsburgh) vs. No. 8 Shane Griffith (Stanford)
3rd: No. 6 Keegan O`Toole (Missouri) dec. No. 10 Travis Wittlake (Oklahoma State), 4-3
5th: No. 7 Ethan Smith (Ohio State) dec. No. 5 Zach Hartman (Bucknell), 7-5 SV1
7th: No. 11 Cameron Amine (Michigan) by medical forfeit over No. 2 Anthony Valencia (Arizona State)

174:
1st: No. 1 Michael Kemerer (Iowa) vs. No. 3 Carter Starocci (Penn State)
3rd: No. 4 Mikey Labriola (Nebraska) dec. No. 12 Bernie Truax (Cal Poly), 8-3
5th: No. 5 Logan Massa (Michigan) by medical forfeit over No. 2 Demetrius Romero (Utah Valley)
7th: No. 8 Daniel Bullard (NC State) by medical forfeit over No. 26 Jackson Turley (Rutgers)

184:
1st: No. 1 Aaron Brooks (Penn State) vs. No. 2 Trent Hidlay (NC State)
3rd: No. 4 Parker Keckeisen (Northern Iowa) dec. No. 6 John Poznanski (Rutgers), 5-4
5th: No. 11 Dakota Geer (Oklahoma State) dec. No. 7 Brit Wilson (Northern Illinois), 6-0
7th: No. 5 Hunter Bolen (Virginia Tech) dec. No. 3 Lou Deprez (Binghamton), 6-3

197:
1st: No. 4 AJ Ferrari (Oklahoma State) vs. No. 6 Nino Bonaccorsi (Pittsburgh)
3rd: No. 1 Myles Amine (Michigan) dec. No. 5 Jacob Warner (Iowa), 5-3
5th: No. 7 Rocky Elam (Missouri) dec. No. 26 Jake Woodley (Oklahoma), 9-3
7th: No. 15 Michael Beard (Penn State) dec. No. 8 Stephen Buchanan (Wyoming), 10-8 SV1

285:
1st: No. 1 Gable Steveson (Minnesota) vs. No. 2 Mason Parris (Michigan)
3rd: No. 5 Tony Cassioppi (Iowa) dec. No. 4 Cohlton Schultz (Arizona State), 5-0
5th: No. 6 Gannon Gremmel (Iowa State) dec. No. 14 Trent Hillger (Wisconsin), 4-0
7th: No. 9 Greg Kerkvliet (Penn State) maj. dec. No. 21 Tate Orndorff (Ohio State), 13-1

Thanks a million for keeping me updated this weekend, Vallholl! I didn't get to watch the matches till later so it was sure nice to be able to follow along with your updates!! :)

Eierman was totally gassed in the third period, had nothing left. If the same standard of calling stalls at 133 was in place for 141 he would have had at least 3 in the third (being kind in giving the same # as RBY got against Fix). The announcers were saying he was gassed, Iowa posters on this board have said he was gassed. Can you just not accept that he was beaten, fair and square?
The way I see it, Eierman and Lee are very evenly matched (same for RBY and Fix). If they wrestle 10 times each guy probably wins 5. Last night happened to be one where Lee was able to keep pressure on, Eierman ran out of gas and Lee got the decisive takedown.
But that would mean giving Penn State credit when they don't deserve credit for anything they ever do............so I don't think I'm allowed to do that.

In fact, I'm pretty sure it's a breach of ethics for even suggesting it.

But that would mean giving Penn State credit when they don't deserve credit for anything they ever do............so I don't think I'm allowed to do that.

If research at the Penn State med school led to a cure for cancer, would you give them credit for that?

Breach of ethics here in The Cesspool?

I think it is a breach of ethics to even suggest we have ethics.......sheeeesssshhhh........

Rewatching last nite's finals and I have to agree...college wrestling didn't win over any new fans with that snooze fest.

As an aside, I also thought ESPN coverage was below average this year.

Perhaps having no crowd played a part?

Reactions: Gobblin
It means Lance Armstrong called and said he's very impressed with PSU's endurance training, and (like him) their 100% track record of passing doping tests.

What the heck is wrong with some of you on this board?

You just won the national championship, something you have been chasing for a decade. Sit back, relax, and bask in the glory of the moment rather than wallow in the mud.

You have the whole team of seasoned veterans coming back, led by probably the best wrestler of a generation.

Penn State has proven over the years they peak at the tourney and have better conditioning, because..... their program is simply better at preparing for that moment. Someone has to be best at it.

Iowa has achieved the ultimate prize this year and earned every bit of it. The Hawks are hands down the most complete team this year, and going in to next year the preseason favorites.

Next year will be epoc with everyone coming back with the same squads one year older, one year better. Oky state will be awesome, Cornell loaded with the rest of the Ivys back, Ohio State healthier and stronger, and yes Penn State stronger and laser focused at the ultimate goal.

With the banter on your board - filled with accusations of juicing, blood doping, slush funds, and when some get really desperate pedo state comments. The evidence is simply the eye test that the Lions perform better. What is sad from an HR pov is each accusation carries an admission that Iowa is inferior to PSU, thus something illegal must be at the core. I think this belittles you, but more unfortunately, it distracts and tarnishes what should be celebrated.

Better you say "see you next year PSU, come and get it, but for now I am going to put on my victory shades and bask in the glow of a national championship that can never be taken away".

PS - I'll preempt the go back to your own board responses. I will, but with a search I think you will find most of my commentary here complimentary.

Who else is here for this dope-ass cycling talk? Ha that was kind of punny.

But really, I love cycling. Stage sprints are one of the most exciting things in sports.
Who wouldn't want to see someone in the wrestling finals channel their inner Mark Cavendish or Peter Sagan and do a balls to the wall sprint for the final 60 sec.

Instead, if it does happen, it's over the final 15.

Might just be your internet persona (wouldn't you like to know.....) but I wouldn't be surprised if you're a bitter, little man. (Well, I hope you like surprises.......) I hope there is some happiness of some sort in your life. (Happiness is Penn State not trying to steal Iowa's thunder in the Finals because they're salty af that they're not the top dogs anymore....And Im talking about the team, not the fans coming here and offering their temporary well-wishes........) Enjoy the Hawks title maybe? (As long as you'll enjoy it with me, and the rest of Hawkeye Nation :D.........besides, why can't I be happy both enjoying Iowa's title AND hating Penn State? There's enough space in the world for that, I think. :)) Peace out.

Spencer just wrestled the match Eirman and Kemerer should’ve wrestled against a runner. Stand in the center and wait for them.
Runner? How many attacks did Eirman have vs. Lee? Without counting the counters and headshakes, here's the count:

Eirman vs. Lee
6 to 7 (1st period)
2 to 5 (2nd period)
1 to 4 (3rd period)
9 to 16 (total in regulation)

So who was running?

Reactions: Hoosier Lion
I gotta say, as a guy from the east coast who has no connection to Iowa and comes here only occasionally because it has good wrestling discussion, this is a bit infuriating. Bael Sanderson is truly one of the biggest scumbags in the sport.

We are all worse off for having him involved. The sooner he is not involved with college wrestling, the better in my opinion.
Slander much?

Slander much?

It is my opinion that the things he does are scummy and harm collegiate wrestling. Look at how he treated Bubba Jenkins. Look at how he essentially forced his coach to retire, only to leave ISU in the lurch and they still haven't recovered over a decade later. Look at what he does with the NLWC. Look at how he recruits. Look at what's going on with Gilman. Etc, etc. There are many things Bael does that in my opinion (and in the opinion of many others) are scummy, and they are scummy because they harm collegiate wrestling and have had negative impacts on ISU and on particular individuals. Collegiate wrestling is at its worst point in a very long time sadly. If you think the term scumbag is a bit too nasty you are probably right. That said, he has a long history of making some questionable decisions, and the way he uses the NLWC in recruiting really rubs many people the wrong way.

Last edited:
Reactions: fufighters
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT