ADVERTISEMENT

*************NCAA Wrestling Championship Finals************

Absolutely correct. ^^ OR...if one wrestler remains in the inner circle then the other wrestler has to return to the inner circle in either a two or three count or it is an automatic stalling call.

In Spencer's 3rd period he stayed in the inner circle for awhile v. chasing that punk to the edge of the mat...again. If the other wrestler doesn't reingage quickly...automatic stall call.

This perpetual backing up and stalling and whistle swallowing is killing the sport.

Idk if it's killing the sport, but in important matches that aren't blowouts it certainly increases the randomness of the outcome, which I guess is the point. If you're the lower ranked wrestler, you want to drastically slow down the scoring in the match, keep it close, and increase the pressure for the better wrestler.

KemDog chased him all over the mat. Tough to get a decent shot on someone backing away. Penn State strategy was very good - back away and block off to prevent any scoring and shorten the match to win it at the end. That's how an underdog can pull off the upset against a better opponent. That's why you need to push the pace hard in the first period and build a lead. Kemdog let him get away with it by being too cautious the first period.
Agreed. Kem seemed to catch onto it in the third but by then he was a bit spent from chasing. Makes me sick to say it but we were out coached in the finals matches. They were prepared and executed. Kem was the better wrestler yet lost. Eierman was a tossup but game planned for to a T as well.

Idk if it's killing the sport, but in important matches that aren't blowouts it certainly increases the randomness of the outcome, which I guess is the point. If you're the lower ranked wrestler, you want to drastically slow down the scoring in the match, keep it close, and increase the pressure for the better wrestler.

Fwiw...I watched the finals tonight with 7 other adults, at least two other, both wrestlers in their youth and longtime, active fans of the sport, commented that watching matches like that is so discouraging that they can foresee not engaging in following the sport going forward.

Fwiw...I watched the finals tonight with 7 other adults, at least two other, both wrestlers in their youth and longtime, active fans of the sport, commented that watching matches like that is so discouraging that they can foresee not engaging in following the sport going forward.

Were they making that comment based on the finals, or on matches broadly throughout the season?

The NCAA finals have always been their own animal, and they can definitely be boring.

Difference is, PSU is a young team that will only get better. At this point in time, guys like Eierman, Kemerer, Marianelli etc. are as good as they will ever be. Starocci will only get better. Howard will get better. Beard and Kerk will get better. We’ll find someone that will get us points at 149 and 165. Next year’s race is a tossup.
Your right, Burroughs, Dake, Oliver, etc. never improved once they hit the age of 23! 🙃

It’s like the 4-corner strategy in basketball before the shot clock. Just get a lead and then run the rest of the clock out. Wrestling needs a shot clock or something to prevent it because stalling is so subjective and refs are so hesitant to call it in big matches.

Lmao this will be very unpopular, but I like Ferrari. I started rooting for him ironically because of how insane he is and the funny twitter jokes about it, but now I just think he's fun. What an insane character.
I was liking him until attitude started coming out through his second and third round matches. As an official I would have pointed out to him that it is his job to wrestle and my job to officiate. One of the matches I was yelling at the TV for the ref to hit him with unsportsmanlike conduct! He seems to think that he knows more out on the mat than everybody else, and he is willing to let you know.

He needs for John Smith to take firm control like Tom and Terry have done for Desanto, more than just grabbing his headgear to prevent it costing a team point.

It’s like the 4-corner strategy in basketball before the shot clock. Just get a lead and then run the rest of the clock out. Wrestling needs a shot clock or something to prevent it because stalling is so subjective and refs are so hesitant to call it in big matches.
Give them both a warning in the first and see how that changes things!

I actually don't even think it's just done by wrestlers who get leads. I think it's even done by the worse wrestler who is tied or down a point or 2. Again, if you are the worse of the two, all you really want is to get to a place where you can steal the match at the end, as opposed to letting a match get away from you. If you're the better wrestler in an important match, having everything ride on a flukey scramble at the end or a well-timed shot creates immense pressure. Imo THAT is the true issue.

Last edited:
Well we just won a title with a bunch of guys PSU didn't even want other than Lee.
To be fair, I think PSU wanted several of your guys (along with the Hidlays, Shane Griffith, etc). The years and lineup openings have to match up though and those guys are too good to sit even a year at PSU when other options like Iowa are available.
I bet PSU would have loved to have Kem at 157 or 165.

I actually don't even think it's done by wrestlers who get leads. I think it's even done by the worse wrestler who is tied or down a point or 2. Again, if you are the worse of the two, all you really want is to get to a place where you can steal the match at the end, as opposed to letting a match get away from you. If you're the better wrestler in an important match, having everything ride on a flukey scramble at the end or a well-timed shot creates immense pressure. Imo THAT is the true issue.
Oh totally agree, I should have been more clear. In basketball before the shot clock it was mainly done by teams with a lead. In wrestling there is plenty of both. Plenty of times the match might as well be over after the first takedown and on the other hand as mentioned it’s just a smart strategy for underdog wrestlers to back away and play defense and try to turn the whole match into a sudden death scenario where one takedown can win it. And if you aren’t even thinking offense the first 6 minutes then you might have a big energy advantage at the end.

Reactions: FrontHeadlock2
To be fair, I think PSU wanted several of your guys (along with the Hidlays, Shane Griffith, etc). The years and lineup openings have to match up though and those guys are too good to sit even a year at PSU when other options like Iowa are available.
I bet PSU would have loved to have Kem at 157 or 165.

Wanting to have them to walk on or book money guys is not exactly wanting them.

I actually don't even think it's done by wrestlers who get leads. I think it's even done by the worse wrestler who is tied or down a point or 2. Again, if you are the worse of the two, all you really want is to get to a place where you can steal the match at the end, as opposed to letting a match get away from you. If you're the better wrestler in an important match, having everything ride on a flukey scramble at the end or a well-timed shot creates immense pressure. Imo THAT is the true issue.

This 100%. And officials who swallow their whistles because they "don't want to influence the outcome" are literally the reason this exists and why the worse wrestler is able to utilize this strategy so often. Spencer's finals match is a perfect example. One stall call on the ASU kid and he literally went straight back off the whistle and sat on the edge every single time. Those officials need to be fired and never ref another match.

I was liking him until attitude started coming out through his second and third round matches. As an official I would have pointed out to him that it is his job to wrestle and my job to officiate. One of the matches I was yelling at the TV for the ref to hit him with unsportsmanlike conduct! He seems to think that he knows more out on the mat than everybody else, and he is willing to let you know.

He needs for John Smith to take firm control like Tom and Terry have done for Desanto, more than just grabbing his headgear to prevent it costing a team point.

Which is odd, because based on his interviews this week I would have guessed Okie St is struggling to keep his grades high enough to be eligible.

Maybe he’s a smart kid and is just a horrible interview; but he didn’t do himself any favors.

Just stopped by to say congrats on the title. I would like to put my 2 cents in calling stalling. First I hate the idea of the push out being part of folk style wrestling. Having wrestlers pushing like sumo wrestlers doesn't do much for the sport. The current stall calls are not consistent. Looking back at matches in the 80s and 90s officials were not shy to ding wrestlers for not wrestling. I can't understand why they ever changed the rule.

Just stopped by to say congrats on the title. I would like to put my 2 cents in calling stalling. First I hate the idea of the push out being part of folk style wrestling. Having wrestlers pushing like sumo wrestlers doesn't do much for the sport. The current stall calls are not consistent. Looking back at matches in the 80s and 90s officials were not shy to ding wrestlers for not wrestling. I can't understand why they ever changed the rule.
This isn't what happens in freestyle. The action on the edge of the mat is insane. As long as you let guys back out of bounds to avoid danger, that's what they'll do. It had gotten a little better until this year when they apparently decided not to enforce the edge stall rules and just call action insead.

They did change how it's called and obviously they won't enforce stalling like they should. The push out is not a sumo match because if they are not near the edge it is a non factor. Guys can either stay in the middle and wrestle or risk giving up a self imposed stall point by backing to the edge and getting pushed out.

Reactions: artradley
This 100%. And officials who swallow their whistles because they "don't want to influence the outcome" are literally the reason this exists and why the worse wrestler is able to utilize this strategy so often. Spencer's finals match is a perfect example. One stall call on the ASU kid and he literally went straight back off the whistle and sat on the edge every single time. Those officials need to be fired and never ref another match.
There are numerous examples of the strategy being “get the match to make one take down win.” Until that scenario is penalized, it will continue. They changed the game with the 4 point near fall. Now do something about awarding on the feet aggressiveness.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT