ADVERTISEMENT

10 Discontinued Fast Food Items We Wish They'd Bring Back!

Arbitr8

HR Legend
May 13, 2009
Lewis Township
Burger King Burger Shots

Burger King has made several attempts to compete with White Castle by introducing sliders, in the 1980s with Burger Bundles and Burger Buddies, and in the late 2000s with Burger Shots. They failed every time on several fronts: the burger patties were so small that they kept falling through the broiler grates, they took too long for employees to assemble, and, most damningly, sales were lackluster.

McDonald's Arch Deluxe

In 1996, McDonald's spent more money on the advertising campaign for this burger - $150 million - than it had on any other single item in its history. A quarter-pounder on a split-top potato bun with add-ons like circular peppered bacon, lettuce, Spanish onions, and a mustard-mayo sauce, the Arch Deluxe flopped, making the sandwich a very expensive mistake. But the fact of the matter is, these were actually pretty tasty. It would probably be unthinkable for the struggling chain to re-introduce this throwback, but they most likely never will; the definition of insanity is doing the same thing twice and expecting different results, after all.

McDonald's Fries in Beef Tallow

For decades, McDonald's fries were fried in a mixture of 7 percent cottonseed oil and 93 percent straight beef fat. This is what made them so undeniably delicious, and also gave them more saturated fat per ounce than a McDonald's hamburger. Amid criticism over cholesterol levels, McDonald's switched to 100 percent vegetable oil in 1990 and started adding "beef flavoring" in order to keep that beefy flavor that served them so well. But that didn't go over well either, and, in 2002, the company was forced to pay $10 million after admitting to having misled consumers into believing that the fries were completely vegetarian. The fries are still tasty, but they don't compare to the version from those heady, cholesterol-laden early days.

Whataburger Steak Fajitas

Whataburger introduced steak fajitas to their menus in the early 2000s, and while the fajitas found a devoted fan base, they quickly disappeared from the menus. We know that Whataburger is best known for its burgers, but re-introducing these would be a good change of pace.

McDonald's Onion Nuggets

Introduced in the 1970s, McDonald's onion nuggets were clumps of diced onions that were breaded and fried à la chicken nuggets. They sound pretty tasty, and no other fast food chain is selling anything like them nowadays. We'd try them!

Taco Bell Cheesarito

One of Taco Bell's most popular "secret menu" items, the Cheesarito was once a regular menu item but has since been removed, even though all the necessary components are still on hand. It was simply melted cheese, scallions, and taco sauce rolled up in a soft tortilla. Cheap, satisfying, and delicious - there's no reason why it shouldn't still be an everyday item.

Wendy's Frescata Sandwiches

Intended to offer some competition to Subway, these deli-style "artisan sandwiches" were rolled out in 2006. They sold decently, but their fatal flaw was assembly time: they took a lot longer to prepare than burgers. They disappeared from menus in 2007, but a comeback would be most welcome - especially in this day and age, when fast-casual spots like Panera Bread are stealing fast food's spotlight.

Long John Silver's Peg Legs

A popular menu item in the 1970s and '80s, the Peg Leg was simply a little morsels of fried batter. Because they were fried with the same batter used to cook Long John Silver's fish, they were lighter and crunchier than what you'd find at other fast food joints. The present-day "chicken planks" (chicken tenders) ain't got nothing on the Peg Legs.

McDonald's Fried Apple Pie

The Greenspan's Grilled Cheese.

Taco Bell Bell Beefer

The Bell Beefer was one of loyal group of devotees who are trying to get it back.

The only one I recall is the Bell Beefer, I just loved those puppies!

http://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/foodnews/10-discontinued-fast-food-items-we-wish-they%e2%80%99d-bring-back/ss-AAahC2H

I'm glad I give up fast food because I think my cholesterol level just went up 50 points from reading that.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Chilito from Taco Bell (I know some still have a chili cheese burrito, but most don't.)

The original Steak burrito from Taco Bell. Best version they ever had.

Arby's super roast beef

McDLT

McRib should be permanent.

5 is all I got.

Definitely remember LJS peg legs.

Cool story bro time...my very first paycheck at age 16 ($33), I bought LJS peg legs. My family never really strayed from Marion and almost never ate fast food. LJS had just come to CR and a buddy took me to Record Realm (bought Aerosmith's Toys in the Attic and The Rolling Stone's Let it Bleed) and on our way back, we stopped at LJS.

Of course, this was when LJS actually tasted good...late 70's.

Amazingly...I still had $15 left out of that paycheck after my first spending spree ever in my life. $33...I thought I was rich.

Originally posted by Arbitr8:

Originally posted by Wahawk56:
I liked the arch deluxe.
this was my favorite McDs sandwich

how about the McDLT

mcdlt-w-ad.jpg

Originally posted by SigMaintHawk:
McDLT

Hardee's roast beef sandwiches

McRib jr

Big Mac jr
You have 3 of 4 right. Rib Jr is off, never liked Rib Sr.

In general, Hardee's doing away with flame broiled burgers was a bad idea.

Has to be the old batter dipped french fries at KFC. Chicken Littles and fries were the bomb..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT