ADVERTISEMENT

197 finalist Truax in the Portal

who cares that fans that already hate iowa don't like it? recruits will! iowa is never going to be the fan favorite.

i completely agree about not caring what other fans think but i also think it’s important to call out what’s happening.

exactly, woodsiding.

i hope the posters on this board with their panties in a bunch get over it. b/c wrestlers being paid - particularly at iowa, mich, tosu, psu, isu - is the new normal.

why i'm the bad guy for confirming it is beyond me. but this board never ceases to surprise.
Lol. The victim card. Yes we forced you to comment on an Iowa board. And putting Traux numbers out there can totally effect the Nagao and other recruitment strategies. Never hear anything about PSU deals. Wonder why that is!?!

The Caitlin Clark numbers are out there.

It's not difficult to imagine some mega wealthy sources are involved.

Unless some restrictions are employed quickly, we're speeding towards a scenario where no more than 3-4 schools will dominate in college wrestling, wbb, and basketball. I see PSU, Iowa, tOSU, and Michigan distancing themselves in wrestling.

I think college football will be more like 8-10 schools separating from the pack.

So…. Basically what has happened in every sport for the last 20 years?

Reactions: Chuck C
you guys are 1) paranoid and 2) all over the place.

what the hell does Nagao and Ferrari have to do with any of this?

why would a big figure/offer make iowa look bad? jesus. it's legal.
If it is such a great idea to discuss compensation packages publicly, then why don’t TNT and other coaches do it proactively?

i think the point about it always being iowa that is giving out the bag is legitimate. regardless of the fact that it’s perfectly legal, there certainly is a negative connotation attached to it in much of the wrestling community which is why people are talking about it.

1 year ago at this time the same people who are talking about the truax money were talking about iowa tampering with woods and saying it was being reported to the ncaa. but yeah i’m sure this year is different and it’s being posted on twitter to make iowa look good and celebrate the generosity of donors…
I'm not following your logic at all. A year ago I was happy that Real Woods came to Iowa. This year I want to be happy that Nagao and Truax are coming to Iowa. I am happy that our fan base supports wrestlers and gives them opportunities to capitalize on their success. It just looks like it's always Iowa, because it is. There isn't another fan base like ours. Nothing negative at all about any of this.

I'm not following your logic at all. A year ago I was happy that Real Woods came to Iowa. This year I want to be happy that Nagao and Truax are coming to Iowa. I am happy that our fan base supports wrestlers and gives them opportunities to capitalize on their success. It just looks like it's always Iowa, because it is. There isn't another fan base like ours. Nothing negative at all about any of this.

yes of course we are all happy woods came. that has nothing to do with my post. idk how to make my point any more clear so if you don’t understand then so be it.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
Re: leaks… 1) Either folks aren’t leaking info on the offers/deals elsewhere; or 2) Money isn’t actually being offered in those other places.

I don’t think for one minute all places are leaking info and folks are withholding reporting the leaks elsewhere.

so, in the same pot you make the argument that

A) i must be wrong on Bernie's figure b/c you just don't believe it

but also

B) i must know what everyone else is getting

make up your mind.
That isn't what I said at all but great job dodging the question. I agreed Woods got some sort of bag, but I think what you heard is incorrect. There is a very big difference between having an idea and knowing something as a fact.

I will ask again, why are you and Pat only posting the figures you hear for Iowa wrestlers? Do you honestly not catch wind of the financial situation in Happy Valley? I find that hard to believe.

Last edited:
Lol. The victim card. Yes we forced you to comment on an Iowa board. And putting Traux numbers out there can totally effect the Nagao and other recruitment strategies. Never hear anything about PSU deals. Wonder why that is!?!
Yup, this will effect our chances future recruits. We have great NIL opportunities for wrestlers. Not many places do.

Reactions: el dub
Just stop! Programs have 9.9 scholarships to give for the team. Same as always. All NIL "deals" come from outside sources and collectives in some cases. I know in PA the state legislature passed a law allowing the universities to control a collective for dispersal of NIL money. Other "deals" are done individually or through non-university collectives. Iowa and PA have a great advantage being that its fanbase and popularity are huge. I know that even with all the sell outs that the PSU wrestling team loses money on their wrestling team. They release a budget every year.
That said, there is not as much money available compared to what people are throwing around. If Real and others are getting $200k per year do you think they are distributing $1 million or more each year. NO! The board says RBY got $250k, but I heard he wanted in the range of $60-75k. That was for a 2x champion. Ben Askren said that in wrestling a couple thousand makes a big deal to a college kid and that he never heard of a 6 digit payout for a college wrestler.
Unless we know for sure what the deal is, we should not speculate with outrageous figures. Instead use the merits of Iowa tradition, workout partner, and culture to entice recruits and portal wrestlers.

Just stop! Programs have 9.9 scholarships to give for the team. Same as always. All NIL "deals" come from outside sources and collectives in some cases. I know in PA the state legislature passed a law allowing the universities to control a collective for dispersal of NIL money. Other "deals" are done individually or through non-university collectives. Iowa and PA have a great advantage being that its fanbase and popularity are huge. I know that even with all the sell outs that the PSU wrestling team loses money on their wrestling team. They release a budget every year.
That said, there is not as much money available compared to what people are throwing around. If Real and others are getting $200k per year do you think they are distributing $1 million or more each year. NO! The board says RBY got $250k, but I heard he wanted in the range of $60-75k. That was for a 2x champion. Ben Askren said that in wrestling a couple thousand makes a big deal to a college kid and that he never heard of a 6 digit payout for a college wrestler.
Unless we know for sure what the deal is, we should not speculate with outrageous figures. Instead use the merits of Iowa tradition, workout partner, and culture to entice recruits and portal wrestlers.
Tell that to Pat and Willie. They are the ones spreading this BS.

Prior to RBY winning his title in 2022 he said he would be done after 2022. He then publicly stated money might bring him back. Correct me if I am wrong. I think he tweeted it? This isn’t a leak it’s flat out suggesting his current institution has to pay him. It’s called free enterprise.
Truax might be the first leak but it won’t be the last until the NCAA learns how to police it. Right now they can’t.

Bottom line is that we significantly increase our chances if we get Nagao.

Truax’s results say he’s better than what we have currently at 184 or 197. He was the two seed this year and he probably isn’t the two seed if he wrestled in the Big Ten. He was upset by Sloan in the quarterfinals. And had nice wins to battle back for fourth. He’s an upgrade; however, he can’t be penciled in as a finalist. I feel a bit ambivalent about picking him up over Nagao. He probably replaces Warner’s points. It’s a better longer term approach to get Nagao and hit recruiting really hard at the top 3 weights.

Last edited:
Prior to RBY winning his title in 2022 he said he would be done after 2022. He then publicly stated money might bring him back. Correct me if I am wrong. I think he tweeted it? This isn’t a leak it’s flat out suggesting his current institution has to pay him. It’s called free enterprise.
Starocci using the same playbook as RBY right now

Reactions: Gobblin
On a recent Stalemates video they said RBY actually took visits elsewhere before money was matched and he came back to Penn State. It was just kind of dropped in, I don't remember that happening or any reports on that matter.

Reactions: smalls103
Truax me be the first leak but it won’t be the last until the NCAA learns how to police it. Right now they can’t.

Bottom line is that we significantly increase our chances if we get Nagao.
Yes but say the 250k to Truax is true, but Iowa only wanted to offer 300k to Nagao for 3years. He could get mad and say hey I want 750k for 3 years. Iowa says sorry we don’t have that loot and he goes elsewhere. Having the figures out hurts Iowa in future recruiting negotiations. Mineo and Willie know this and that’s why they are putting it out there.

On a recent Stalemates video they said RBY actually took visits elsewhere before money was matched and he came back to Penn State. It was just kind of dropped in, I don't remember that happening or any reports on that matter.
I didn’t follow RBY closely enough to know if he visited other schools or not. He was certainly in a position to drive the price up.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
Yes but say the 250k to Truax is true, but Iowa only wanted to offer 300k to Nagao for 3years. He could get mad and say hey I want 750k for 3 years. Iowa says sorry we don’t have that loot and he goes elsewhere. Having the figures out hurts Iowa in future recruiting negotiations. Mineo and Willie know this and that’s why they are putting it out there.
I’d say we have the money for Nagao. If funding is tight, who would you choose between the two? I appreciate your take.

I don't think they're being offered a lump sum of cash, rather shown a realistic/optimistic path to earning that amount of money. Similar to a sales rep getting their comp plan, they are shown that if you hit your quota every month, qualify for every bonus, you could earn "up to" $x.

Since Nagao would have 3 years to earn money, I would imagine that his offer (earning potential), would be much higher than Truax

Edit to add:
Even if I'm wrong about the above, that only hurts our chances of getting Truax if someone else were to 'offer' him more money. Just because he hypothetically thinks he should get triple what Truax is getting, doesn't mean that someone else is willing to pay that much.

Reactions: blcoach80

wouldn’t he need to be in the portal for visits to be allowed?

I don't think they're being offered a lump sum of cash, rather shown a realistic/optimistic path to earning that amount of money. Similar to a sales rep getting their comp plan, they are shown that if you hit your quota every month, qualify for every bonus, you could earn "up to" $x.

Since Nagao would have 3 years to earn money, I would imagine that his offer (earning potential), would be much higher than Truax

Edit to add:
Even if I'm wrong about the above, that only hurts our chances of getting Truax if someone else were to 'offer' him more money. Just because he hypothetically thinks he should get triple what Truax is getting, doesn't mean that someone else is willing to pay that much.
The situation and numbers I was throwing out were all hypothetical

So…. Basically what has happened in every sport for the last 20 years?
The elite in wrestling used to be top 8-10 when Okie State, Oklahoma, and ISU were relevant.

Now, the gap is PSU, then Iowa, Cornell, tOSU, and Michigan/NCST, imo.
So...not exactly like the last 20 years.

I think Nagao is the clear answer. Totally negates the Jesuroga loss and legit title chances for multiple years. Truax is a 1 year rental.
This. Both would be great, but I would 100% choose Nagao and his three years of eligibility over Truax for one year, especially if money was tight to get both. Multiple years to be in the room on a proven AA are far better options in the portal. If the Hawks get both, which I doubt, I think we could score more next year than this year at NCAAs (still not enough though).

Reactions: sabula
What are you talking about? All those you mentioned are great wrestlers and I'm sure they are making a decent chunk in NIL, as they should. It is legal for them to capitalize on their success.
glenhawk ask willie why he put iowa out there and not pst.willie did not answer the question just pulled out the cesspool is parinoid as he always does then calls everybody here names. i know nil is legal paying of college athletes, but the narrative they are pushing is iowa has to overpay to get guys and all the top pound for pound kids go to pst for free. last year cenzo said someone was trying to buy a championship, while they've been doing it for years.

Way I see it is PSU media(Willie, Basch, Mineo) are putting Iowa’s business in the streets to weaken their future negotiation power in the portal and recruiting.
gosh golly you figured me out.

b/c there's no way nagao could call bernie and ask him, right?

Did I miss Willie answering the original question?
I see the snarky replies but not an answer.

Other questions for those in the know(Willie), easy yes or no questions

Did RBY take visits last year?

Are you aware of the details of psu NIL deals?

If yes, have you shared that information on your social media platforms?

Did RBY take visits last year? don't recall

Are you aware of the details of psu NIL deals? only a ballpark # for RBY

If yes, have you shared that information on your social media platforms? no. i also didn't 'share' Bernie's. Mineo did. i just confirmed. cry about it.

any more brainbusters?

This is trying way too hard. Quite frankly, neither guy is that smart.

How does leaking that Iowa has the ability to put together a $250k NIL deal for a guy with one year of eligibility hurt instead of help Iowa?

Seems to me that it might signal to others that a transfer to Iowa can be worth their while. I might even think that Iowa or the NIL collective involved could have been the ones leaking it.

Last edited:
Did RBY take visits last year? don't recall

Are you aware of the details of psu NIL deals? only a ballpark # for RBY

If yes, have you shared that information on your social media platforms? no. i also didn't 'share' Bernie's. Mineo did. i just confirmed. cry about it.

any more brainbusters?
Thank you for the answers. Only a little snark at the end so nice work.

A returning NC at the #1 school and you don't recall if he took visits anywhere. Just a touch of an eyebrow raise and a 'not a yes or no answer'

I didn't ask about just RBY, it was psu NIL deals......as in plural.

I didn't ask about Bernie's deals, it was in regards to to the psu NIL deals.

for those not being 'brainbusters' you did a solid job of throwing out vague answers that didn't really answer the questions.

Maybe you can help me with the
"only a ballpark # for RBY"

When were you made aware of the ballpark figure for RBY?

Do you happen to recall when you shared that information on your social media platforms?

Feel free to actually answer the questions this time rather going with the 'don't recall' method the 'only address a small aspect' method and the 'didn't address the question and deflect it back with a defensive response' method

You remind me of some of the wonderful answers given in trials/hearings.

Side note, I do appreciate what you do for the sport and the attention that you generate. I also realize you know where your bread is buttered and play the part well. Somewhat of an Eddie Haskell approach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT