ADVERTISEMENT

197 finalist Truax in the Portal

Factually incorrect as to whom is leaking it? Because if it's Iowa's side leaking it, my guess would be either to drive the price down or (more likely) to "encourage" others to think about entering the transfer portal.
I was going to say something similar… It does not hurt the Hawkeyes for wrestlers to know that we can throw money around.

Reactions: Chuck C
why would iowa's 'leaking it' lead to 'driving the price down' lol.

jfc you guys are overthinking this.

Bernie went to to Iowa visit and then told people what the offer was, ya dipshits.
Reaction GIF

Bernie went to to Iowa visit and then told people what the offer was, ya dipshits.

The typical negotiation strategy in these scenarios is that public leakings are for a purpose. If you're saying Bernie told people, then I revert back to my previous statement, he's leaking because he's trying to get the bids up from Penn State and others. I don't begrudge him, this is a chance to leverage his skills at a particular moment in time to make life-changing money.

People reporting these kinds of figures make it out to be a bag of cash. But I’ve assumed it’s more like a breakdown of “here’s what other Iowa athletes have been able to receive from local sponsorships, tshirt sales/online branded merch, etc”. And then you end up with a figure where (maybe) the high end is 250k?

Which doesn't make it a fact, necessarily. He could be exaggerating or the people he told could be exaggerating. Not saying they are, just simply saying it doesn't make it a fact.

People reporting these kinds of figures make it out to be a bag of cash. But I’ve assumed it’s more like a breakdown of “here’s what other Iowa athletes have been able to receive from local sponsorships, tshirt sales/online branded merch, etc”. And then you end up with a figure where (maybe) the high end is 250k?
No, it has to be the bag of cash!

Season 15 Money GIF by The Simpsons

I think if Bernie is telling numbers the Hawks should pull that 250k and up Aaron Nagao’s deal by the same amount.

Iowas gonna have the same hole at 197 next year. Might as well spend for additional years, and a legit high AA, title contender for all three years. Work smarter not harder.

I think if Bernie is telling numbers the Hawks should pull that 250k and up Aaron Nagao’s deal by the same amount.

Iowas gonna have the same hole at 197 next year. Might as well spend for additional years, and a legit high AA, title contender for all three years. Work smarter not harder.

I don't get the logic. Why not just do what it takes to get both?

Not sure who needs to know this but the Iowa athletic dept is the last one that’s going to allow coaches to just give bags of cash to recruits.

It doesn't really matter what the athletic department thinks about it. They have no say. It is all done through non-profits under the guise of Name Image Likeness.
Maybe. But, Real denied it after wrestling twitter had a meltdown, and I have no reason to believe Truax got something Real didn’t. I also will take Woods word over Willie and Mineo any day of the week.

It doesn't really matter what the athletic department thinks about it. They have no say. It is all done through non-profits under the guise of Name Image Likeness.

This is false. NIL agreements must pass through each school's compliance office.

That would be ideal but I don’t think that’s likely. So if it came down to it, I’m going for the three year fix not the one year. Aaron is three times more valuable than Bernie. I’d pay him like he is.

I also think he's more valuable than Bernie but it is short sighted to just blindly pull away from one and promise it to another. Adding $250K to Nagao's offer would be shortsighted if it would only take another $50K, for instance.

At the end of the day, if they want both, they should/can/will be doing what it takes.

I thought deals involving bags of money would go out of fashion when weed was legalized. Boy, was I apparently wrong..

Reactions: Trapper85
This is all fine and dandy but it would seem recruiting better in the first place is more economical and provides better lineup stability than portal bidding. They would have to get Truax and Nagao and possibly a third big addition to enter the conversation of surpassing the 2nd place ceiling.

so the guys leaving their teams are getting paid, 5 time aas who stay loyal get nothing except abuse from frustrated guys who call themselves the best fans in wrestling.
I long for the days of just refrigerators...

The typical negotiation strategy in these scenarios is that public leakings are for a purpose. If you're saying Bernie told people, then I revert back to my previous statement, he's leaking because he's trying to get the bids up from Penn State and others. I don't begrudge him, this is a chance to leverage his skills at a particular moment in time to make life-changing money.
This is too abstract of a concept for Willie to understand.
Does anyone else find it interesting that Mineo and Willie are frequently told the same thing?
They’re puppets on strings that think they’re the smartest in the room.

Reactions: natchrlman
so the guys leaving their teams are getting paid, 5 time aas who stay loyal get nothing except abuse from frustrated guys who call themselves the best fans in wrestling.
I wonder this too, but do not know how Iowa divvies up schollies. Add that money to NIL money existing guys might get from deals and it may not be chump change. How do we know whether existing guys are getting 50k, 75k, or 150k when you put it together

Reactions: 12tdsaw
The typical negotiation strategy in these scenarios is that public leakings are for a purpose.
i didn't say it was a bad strategy. i said it was factually incorrect.

this is the first case where the figure was leaked before the commitment.

Reactions: el dub
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT