ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Softball Season

The 4-diamond complex that includes Pearl Field has been there since the 80's, though the central concrete block pressbox/concession stand/restroom structure is newer. Purdue's is just bigger and nicer, you can see it either on the highlight video or I'd guess there are pics on the website. Nicer than Michigan's, as far as that goes IMHO. The playing surface at Pearl has always looked really nice. But the sightlines from the bleachers aren't great, hard to see the near foul line. Plus it floods every so often, it's happened at least twice since the central structure was built. That said, it will probably be in use for a while; the new stands at the baseball diamond have priority and they haven't even committed to a time line yet. "In a couple of years" was the last I knew.

The 4-diamond complex that includes Pearl Field has been there since the 80's, though the central concrete block pressbox/concession stand/restroom structure is newer. Purdue's is just bigger and nicer, you can see it either on the highlight video or I'd guess there are pics on the website. Nicer than Michigan's, as far as that goes IMHO. The playing surface at Pearl has always looked really nice. But the sightlines from the bleachers aren't great, hard to see the near foul line. Plus it floods every so often, it's happened at least twice since the central structure was built. That said, it will probably be in use for a while; the new stands at the baseball diamond have priority and they haven't even committed to a time line yet. "In a couple of years" was the last I knew.
I understand there are financial considerations to be balanced and "non-revenue" sports are just that... costly. Nevertheless, I have had substantial concerns about Barta's commitment to the success of such programs. The overall results in such sports have not been good at any time during his administration. We are far too frequently at the lower end of the conference standings in many of these sports! Guess we need some heavy hitter donors like Knight out at Oregon. That too is Barta's assignment! Does he have a lifetime contract... or maybe "Ferentz contract plus one year" is the deal!

I understand there are financial considerations to be balanced and "non-revenue" sports are just that... costly. Nevertheless, I have had substantial concerns about Barta's commitment to the success of such programs. The overall results in such sports have not been good at any time during his administration. We are far too frequently at the lower end of the conference standings in many of these sports! Guess we need some heavy hitter donors like Knight out at Oregon. That too is Barta's assignment! Does he have a lifetime contract... or maybe "Ferentz contract plus one year" is the deal!

When Gary Barta was hired he said he wants Iowa to compete for conference titles in EVERY sport. We need to hold him to that commitment.

When Gary Barta was hired he said he wants Iowa to compete for conference titles in EVERY sport. We need to hold him to that commitment.
Well he IS trying, right? Oh wait. Aren't we last in the Presidents cup or whatever it is call where we rate ALL sports in the big 10?? And I think it has been that way for at least 2 years.

Wisconsin's "Student U" production so much better than Iowa's single camera, sleepy announcer coverage - when we bother to have an announcer at all.

Anyone know why Devin didn't make the trip to Madison? Shame - she's been hitting the ball hard.

Wisconsin's "Student U" production so much better than Iowa's single camera, sleepy announcer coverage - when we bother to have an announcer at all.

Anyone know why Devin didn't make the trip to Madison? Shame - she's been hitting the ball hard.

All sports on BTNstudentU and BTNplus seem to be consistently poor in quality? Why is that? No area of study in journalism school to generate talent? General neglect by the athletic department? Low priority or a desire to cast the university in a less than quality light. A school which seeks to associate itself with excellence should not have such mediocrity on display! This is high school performance quality. Gary Barta can you spare a moment to think about this? (During a recent basketball game, an announcer commented that we were getting to "crunch time", Iowa was leading by 10 plus with a minute to play!)

I've been watching some ACC and MVC games on WatchESPN, and the broadcast quality there is variable also - everything from single camera-no audio to regular quality broadcasts with announcers and replays.

Looking at Gametracker this afternoon, looks like we moved Thompson to RF, brought in Taylor for SS and Killian for 3B. Still looking for a consistent batting order, or possibly just want to get the 2nd string some innings (or both)

Hawks hang on for a 4-3 W, evening the series

Last edited:
Looking at Gametracker this afternoon, looks like we moved Thompson to RF, brought in Taylor for SS and Killian for 3B. Still looking for a consistent batting order, or possibly just want to get the 2nd string some innings (or both)
Good move. Can't afford Thompson's defense at short, but good to have her in the lineup. KT's defense has been terrific today. Frankly, with so many sub .200 hitters on the roster, might as well get the best defensive players in the game I say.

There really hasn't been many hard-hit balls, but we're putting it in play and making things happen.

Last edited:
Nice Win over UNI, got 4 winable games starting tonight vs Nebraska. Lets hope this is turning around some!

Yes it was a nice win over UNI and another good pitching performance from Doocy. UNI has 20 wins on the season. Time to take down the Huskers now. Huskers have won 8-in-row though. Sweeping Wisconsin, Iowa St & Rutgers.

Great win in the first of the DH vs Nebby! Game tied in bottom 7th, Double off the wall by Malarky to score the go ahead run and win 4-3! Starting to show something. Doocy pitched a good game too! Still alot of mistakes that cost them some runs but they are young and it is looking alot better

And that brings us into a tie for 7th place, with Rutgers coming to town, hope we can take advantage. BTN posted a nice clip on Twitter of Mularkey turning a slick 3-6 double play, also available on the BTH2Go app with some other game highlights.

I was at the UNI game the other night, we jumped right on their pitcher with a ferocity I hadn't seen for a while, it was a sight to see. I hope that got caught on video so it can be shown to the team as a morale booster. We did a great job of staying composed when UNI loaded the bases in the 6th and 7th. Riding was brought in to close it out, though I think Doocy probably would have held on. She now has an ERA of 3.07, behind Starkenburg's 2.67.

Good to see the bats. Still bitter about the last game of the Wisconsin series. Would really be in a good spot if we got the call at second.

They still make mistakes because they are a young team, stuff like dropping the pop up cause the SS ranged deep and the Outfielder and her didn't communicate well and they ran into each other. Or not going home with the ball when bases are loaded and less then two outs. They got an out but gave up a run and let Nebby close to within two, things worked out but you cannot give away runs. Also things like running themselves out of innings, not sliding at home, little things but things that lose you close games. Overall I am very happy with the results after a tough start to the season. we all knew they were not competing for the B10 title but i like it when Every team is not looking forward to having to play Us. That is signs that they are growing. Should Sweep Rutgers too they are really bad.

Good to see the bats. Still bitter about the last game of the Wisconsin series. Would really be in a good spot if we got the call at second.

Camera view wasn't a good angle. Where you at the game? You think she was out for sure? The way (typically not-so emotional) Claire threw her glove on the ground in anger, no doubt she thought the runner was out. The ump wasn't in the picture. I wonder whether the ump didn't get into position.

Very happy they're playing better. I honestly didn't think they had a shot at double-digit wins period and now with some luck they could get double-digit wins just in the B1G!

But please don't use youth as an excuse for the dumb plays this team tends to make. The outfield crash last night was between two Juniors. There was a similar outfield crash in right in the Illinois series between a Senior and Junior. And this team isn't necessarily young starting two Seniors and four Juniors.

Final comment - we are getting a lot of runners thrown out at 3rd & home. It's frustrating but I fully support Looper sending them. With the team batting .200ish you have to take risks on the base paths.

This team has a ton of fight in them and they ALL care and root for one another.

As for not sliding at home, that was addressed after the game and after a phone call. Rest assured it won't happen again

This team has a ton of fight in them and they ALL care and root for one another.

As for not sliding at home, that was addressed after the game and after a phone call. Rest assured it won't happen again

Cranker, I love your insight into the team and your last comment about the phone call made me smile.

It's great to see the team play well and I appreciate Looper's intensity this year. She seems to really protecting and fighting for her players.

Was anyone at the Wisconsin game and can provide insight into the controversial call at second? I wasn't able to watch and it has not really been addressed in any of the articles.

Go Hawks.

Crankermo, didnt mean to bash anyone, hope that is not how it came out about the none slide just a note. And we do get way to many runners thrown out cause of either missing signs to hold or being over aggressive. 1st and 3rd no outs is much better situation then 2nd and one out. Just sayin.

Reactions: crankermo
Crankermo, didnt mean to bash anyone, hope that is not how it came out about the none slide just a note. Just sayin.

I didn't come out that way at all (atleast to me). It just reminded me of when I would get home from my high school basketball games after my coach told me something I did wrong and then I'd come home and my parents would tell me the same thing. Made me smile and brought back some good memories.

Reactions: crankermo
Crankermo, didnt mean to bash anyone, hope that is not how it came out about the none slide just a note. And we do get way to many runners thrown out cause of either missing signs to hold or being over aggressive. 1st and 3rd no outs is much better situation then 2nd and one out. Just sayin.

Dr you didn't bash anyone at all. She knows better than that but I also reminded her. It's hard for me to let the old coach in me fade, lol

These girls play their butts off and I'm just glad to see them get some wins from it. Great kids on this team who LOVE this University. Can't ask for more than that.

Camera view wasn't a good angle. Where you at the game? You think she was out for sure? The way (typically not-so emotional) Claire threw her glove on the ground in anger, no doubt she thought the runner was out. The ump wasn't in the picture. I wonder whether the ump didn't get into position.

Very happy they're playing better. I honestly didn't think they had a shot at double-digit wins period and now with some luck they could get double-digit wins just in the B1G!

But please don't use youth as an excuse for the dumb plays this team tends to make. The outfield crash last night was between two Juniors. There was a similar outfield crash in right in the Illinois series between a Senior and Junior. And this team isn't necessarily young starting two Seniors and four Juniors.

Final comment - we are getting a lot of runners thrown out at 3rd & home. It's frustrating but I fully support Looper sending them. With the team batting .200ish you have to take risks on the base paths.

I was not there live but thought she was clearly out.

Hi. Umpires have made some mistakes on the base paths, but they are not nearly as bad as they used to be. There was a time when an umpire would miss 2 or 3 plays a game. They appear to be much more competent.

I agree the team is young and makes mistakes on things like not hitting the cutoff or not calling for a fly ball. I still don't agree with coach when she attempts to sacrifice with one of the best hitters is up. Seems to not work out more than it does.

I've haven't seen the team hit the ball hard so many times in the Looper era. It's good to see swingers vs. slappers.

I agree on the aggressiveness on the bases. I'm glad the players are looking for extra bases. It doesn't have the same feel as when the coaches ran the team out of innings.

Hopefully the rain holds off and they play tonight.

Just think fans if not for a blown call @Wisconsin your HAWKS would be on 4 series winning streak in the B1G.

Love the fight and chemistry on this team.

This weekend is going to be great opportunity for this team. IMO Minnesota has to be one of the favorites to win it all this year. They have the pitching to match up with anyone and their hitting is vastly improved.

Going to be one hell of a challenge and I'm anxious to see our girls go at em.

Reactions: SynergyHawk12
This weekend is going to be great opportunity for this team. IMO Minnesota has to be one of the favorites to win it all this year. They have the pitching to match up with anyone and their hitting is vastly improved.

Going to be one hell of a challenge and I'm anxious to see our girls go at em.
Yes I agree Minnesota will be in the mix and they are doing it with a few Iowa GIRLS! I laugh when I say that cause If you put those girls on the Hawks, I wonder where they are. Water under the bridge for sure but So many misses. on Iowa kids.

Reactions: Wadukester
Yes I agree Minnesota will be in the mix and they are doing it with a few Iowa GIRLS! I laugh when I say that cause If you put those girls on the Hawks, I wonder where they are. Water under the bridge for sure but So many misses. on Iowa kids.

Many people lament the misses on Iowa girls. Which ones are making an impact elsewhere that would/should have been at Iowa?

8 games to go. Can we go 5-3 and end with 20 wins?

I think we can but the bats need to show back up again.

Player avg gp-gs ab r h 2b 3b hr rbi tb slg% bb hbp so gdp ob% sf sh sb-att po a e fld%
Kendyl Lindaman .409 46-46 115 41 47 4 1 15 54 98 .852 40 4 6 3 .565 2 0 0-0 282 49 5 .985
Sydney Dwyer .387 46-46 142 20 55 10 0 8 60 89 .627 11 1 10 1 .429 2 1 1-3 292 10 10 .968
Player era w-l app-gs cg sho sv ip h r er bb so 2b 3b hr ab b/avg wp hbp bk sfa sha Amber Fiser 1.79 10-0 17-13 4 1/4 0 62.2 50 22 16 28 59 6 1 0 228 .219 6 10 0 0 5

These are the 3 studs from Iowa on the Minnesota team

Last edited:
Wisconsin
##
Player avg gp-gs ab r h 2b 3b hr rbi tb slg% bb hbp so gdp ob% sf sh sb sba po a e fld%
28 Miller, Chloe .440 40-40 125 41 55 14 2 9 42 100 .800 27 2 10 0 .542 1 2 6 10 177 17 4 .980

Player era w-l app gs cg sho sv ip h r er bb so 2b 3b hr b/avg wp hp bk sfa sha
16 Kaitlyn Menz 2 . 3 5 19-7 27 24 18 3/1 0 170.0 152 68 57 74 104 14 3 5 . 2 3 3 8 11 1 3 12

Here's a few more....

Illinois State -
Fr. Alyssa Wieble .295 with 7HR Van Horne
So. Riley Hale .349 with 7HR West Burlington

North Dakota State -
Starting SS Fr. Montana DeCamp .252 with 4HR Indianola

South Florida
Jr. Hannah Parker 2.81 ERA in 109.2 innings

Western Illinois
So. Emily Ira 2.45 ERA in 157 innings batting .262 with 2HR from Iowa City
Sr. Holly Hoetling .279 with 7HR Bettendorf
Jr. Ralie Beatty .255 with 3 HR Muscatine
So. Hailey Duwa .351 with 4HR Bettendorf

Any word on why Thompson didn't play last weekend? One of our better hitters.

I think they wanted to get the potentially big bat of Cantu in the lineup. She can play catcher or 1st. This puts Mullarkey in right field to replace Thompson.

While I don't necessarily disagree with putting Cantu in the lineup, I understand the frustration with Thompson not playing. I think she will be a winner.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT