ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Class Full; 6 Scholarships available for 2020

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Yikes! I have never been in favor of these unbalanced classes. This year we have one senior; the following year we have 6 seniors. At Kentucky, when you are dealing with 5 Star recruits, unbalanced classes can work. At Iowa, I think it simply leads to up and down seasons, which is what we have seen during Fran's tenure.

In Men's basketball, you can have 13 on scholarship.

Here is a summary of the McCaffery era recruits (March 2010 through today). Note that I list the years when they graduated, transferred or will graduate.

Graduating Class : Players

Future Graduating Classes:

2023: 2 players

6'6" SF Patrick McCaffery (****)

5'10" PG Joe Toussaint (***)

Current Roster (12 currently on scholarship; 1 scholarship available):

2022: 3 players

6'5" SG Joe Wieskamp (****)

6'4" SG CJ Fredrick (***)

6'5" SG Connor McCaffery (****; announced on Apr 28, 2017 that he will play baseball in the Spring of 2018 and redshirt in basketball in the fall of 2017; ended up, however, playing in 4 games in Dec 2017 as a true freshman, mostly because of the Christian Williams departure; however, after missing two games due to a sprained ankle, eight contests due to mononucleosis, and 19 games after undergoing a tonsillectomy in December, 2017, he was granted a hardship waiver on March 26, 2018, where he will have 4 years of basketball eligibility remaining; on April 11, 2018, Connor was put on scholarship).

2021: 2 players

6'10" C Luke Garza (****)

6'9" F Jack Nunge (***)

2020: 6 players

6'8" PF Tyler Cook (****)

6'8" SF Cordell Pemsl (***)

6'9" PF Ryan Kriener (***)

6'0" PG Jordan Bohannon (***)

6'5" SF Isaiah Moss (***; was redshirted in 2015-16)

6'6" G Maishe Dailey (***)

2019: 1 player

6'7" SF Nick Baer (was a preferred walk-on his 2014-15 red shirt year and for the 2015-16 season; put on scholarship in March 2016)

Notable Walk on players:

2021: 2 players

6'6" Riley Till (redshirted in 2016-2017)

6'2" Guard Austiin Ash

Previous graduating classes and early departures:

2018: 3 players

6'8" SF Dominique Uhl (***) graduated

6'4" SG Brady Ellingson (***; was redshirted in 2014-15 season) was scheduled to run out of eligibly at Iowa in 2019 but decided in March 2018 to transfer and play his final season elsewhere (ended up at Drake)

6'7" SF Ahmad Wagner (***) was scheduled to graduate in 2019 but in March 2018 he announced he was leaving basketball in order to give football a try. He ended up at Kentucky.

2017: 3 players

6'6" SG Peter Jok

6'8" PF Dale Jones (graduated; due to injury, was granted a 6th year of eligibility but that additional year would not be at Iowa; in Apr 2017 Jones committed to the University of North Dakota)

6'6" combo guard Christian Williams (***; was originally scheduled to graduate in 2019; on Thurs Oct 26, 2017, Williams asked for and was granted a release from his scholarship; Williams finished out his academic requirements for the fall 2017 semester before transferring to Indiana State)

2016: 6 players

PG Anthony Clemmons

PG Mike Gesell

C Adam Woodbury

SF Jarrod Uthoff

**Two players granted release in March 2016**

6'6" SG Andrew Fleming (***, was set to graduate in 2019)

6'6" SF Brandon Hutton (***; was redshirted in 2015-16; was set to graduate in 2020)

2015: 5 players

SG Josh Ogelsby

PF Aaron White

C Gabe Olaseni

SG Kyle Denning

PG Trey Dickerson quit/left the team on Feb 23, 2015

2014 (Fran's first recruiting class): 5 players

PF Melsahn Basabe

SG Devyn Marble

PF Zach McCabe

SF Darius Stokes (graduated & transferred)

C Kyle Meyer (granted release & transferred; he redshirted his 2012 freshman season and therefore would have been set to graduate in 2017)

2013: 1 player

PG Patrick Ingram (would have been part of the 2016 graduation class; transferred in March 2013, after just one season at Iowa)

2012: 1 player

PG Bryce Cartwright (signed Letter of Intent on June 9, 2010). Bryce was the second recruit for McCaffery at Iowa (Melsahn Basabe, who initially signed with Siena, was Fran's first recruit; Basabe announced he was a Hawkeye on May 1, 2010). Cartwright joined already signed Iowa recruits Devyn Marble, Zach McCabe and Melsahn Basabe on the 2010-2011 roster.

Cook will undoubtedly leave after this year which will mean one more for 2019.

I wouldn't say undoubtedly.

It's tough this day and age to get drafted. Gone are the days the Jeff Moes and JR Koches of the world get 2nd Round selections. Jarrod Uthoff and Peter Jok both went undrafted after completing their senior year, and I don't see Cook at this time being more developed than either one of them.

No question Tyler Cook is athletic and talented. But until he develops a mid range game and improves defensively he is nothing more than a souped up Doug Thomas. In other words, unless he absolutely tears it up this year (and I mean beyond just dunking on people) he is likely a four-year college player. OR, he leaves Iowa and tries to make it to the NBA through the less conventional route, which I don't believe he wants to do. So, since the odds of Cook being drafted in 2019 are fairly slim IMHO, I expect Cook to be suited up in black and gold for the 2019-2020 season.

If they get another 2019 commit, they can wait to decide how to play it. If Cook moves on after this year, or another player decides to transfer, that solves it. If neither of those happen, Patrick can walk on. They'll cross that bridge when they come to it.

It's looking very doubtful that we'll have any other commits for 2019, though.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Perhaps wishful thinking on my part, but unless there is tremendous improvement in his mid range game, I don't see him being drafted next year.
I don’t claim to know the young man’s financial situation at home or even his academic goals, but I just get the feeling that if he isn’t drafted he’ll go to Europe and not return to school.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
I don’t claim to know the young man’s financial situation at home or even his academic goals, but I just get the feeling that if he isn’t drafted he’ll go to Europe and not return to school.

I don't know. That option was on the table this year.

I think Cook is thinking nothing less than the NBA will do. Based on comments I've read, it doesn't seem like he wants to make a change unless it's for the NBA.

Only Tyler knows for sure what he is thinking, but if he was in that big of a hurry to leave college he could have easily done it this year. Certainly kids change their minds and circumstances can change in a year, but I just don't believe Tyler leaves Iowa early unless it's for the NBA. Of course, if Iowa were to have another horrible season this year, Cook could easily say screw this and chuck the dueces.

Reactions: perryhawk
I agree with speculation that Cook will leave after this year...I suspect he wants to get paid either in Europe or G-League. NBA 1st round is not going to happen unless he has some spectacular development.

Even if Cook doesn't leave, the logjam probably means Pemsl or Nunge leave for PT reasons.

Garza looks like a 4-yr college player...he can excel in college but not athletic enough to be forward in NBA and not tall enough to be post player.

If he wanted to do that he could have done it this year. What's the difference?

He wants to play in the nba and become a millionaire, not a thousandnaire. You either go all in on that or you don't. You dont stop while theres still a chance.

If he wants to play in the nba bad enough he could but the thing that is preventing him from reaching that goal is a complete lack of effort and grasp of defense. That's not going to get fixed in Europe.

Why would he give up after next year rather than continuing to try to become the player the nba told him he needs to be?

Hed be better off just sitting in a room and watching film of Draymond Green every day for a year.

Why would he give up after next year rather than continuing to try to become the player the nba told him he needs to be?
Why indeed, but you’re only looking at it from how you would react. Do you know him or his personal situation? You’re also assuming he won’t show enough improvement this year.

Cook will go second round or G league next year,... enjoy him while he's around...

Or Connor could play baseball and forego a year of BB scholarship, a la Doug McDermott.
I'm not sure that's allowed anymore. I don't think each players scholarship is year by year anymore. I think it's 4 years solid now.

I wouldn't say undoubtedly.

It's tough this day and age to get drafted. Gone are the days the Jeff Moes and JR Koches of the world get 2nd Round selections. Jarrod Uthoff and Peter Jok both went undrafted after completing their senior year, and I don't see Cook at this time being more developed than either one of them.

No question Tyler Cook is athletic and talented. But until he develops a mid range game and improves defensively he is nothing more than a souped up Doug Thomas. In other words, unless he absolutely tears it up this year (and I mean beyond just dunking on people) he is likely a four-year college player. OR, he leaves Iowa and tries to make it to the NBA through the less conventional route, which I don't believe he wants to do. So, since the odds of Cook being drafted in 2019 are fairly slim IMHO, I expect Cook to be suited up in black and gold for the 2019-2020 season.
While I agree totally in your assessment of Cook's play, I don't think thats how he see's it. We'll see if he gets an agent this year, but I think he plans on moving on after this season.

I'm not sure that's allowed anymore. I don't think each players scholarship is year by year anymore. I think it's 4 years solid now.
I can't seem to convince anyone that things have changed with 4 year scholarships.

Perhaps wishful thinking on my part, but unless there is tremendous improvement in his mid range game, I don't see him being drafted next year.
I don't think him getting drafted and him choosing to leave are the same thing. I think you are too focused on the NBA option while not thinking about the fact there are other places to play and get paid

And I am not talking about Kentucky

Why indeed, but you’re only looking at it from how you would react. Do you know him or his personal situation? You’re also assuming he won’t show enough improvement this year.

No im looking at it from the most logical standpoint given what has occurred. If he just wanted to "get paid" why not go this year? If just obtaining some amount of money is the goal than why put it off another year? Obviously the amount does matter. Thats the only conclusion you can come to.

Im assuming nothing on how much he will improve. This was a hypothetical discussion based on a premise that he would go to Europe.

Its conceivable now that scouts have told him defense will determine his nba future that a light comes on for him.

I would say there is zero chance of Europe, I actually think he will leave for the G league.

Reactions: Rifler
I don't think him getting drafted and him choosing to leave are the same thing. I think you are too focused on the NBA option while not thinking about the fact there are other places to play and get paid

And I am not talking about Kentucky

Lol to the Kentucky comment.

As i stated in another response, and acknowledged I could easily be wrong, I think if Tyler was in that big of a hurry to leave college he would have after last season. Just a feel I get based on what I've read.

He's wanting to be done with school and make some money. Europe!

Yes, but that option was on the table this year. My gut is Tyler believes he is worthy of being drafted and is going to work to that end. I don't see him as believing taking a shortcut is a viable option. Again, I could easily be wrong. If Iowa has another ho hum of a season, I could definitely see him saying screw this. But as it is right now, I believe his goal is to actually get drafted.

Cook wants to play in the NBA and he wants to do it as soon as possible,... Making the draft is his goal but if that doesn't happen I think he's fully prepared to go G league at the end of this season,... I don't think he sees Europe as an attractive option...

Aren’t players allowed to enter the draft then return to school if they go undrafted now?

If so, that’s the route I’m taking if I’m TC after this season. Europe will still be there in one year

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Aren’t players allowed to enter the draft then return to school if they go undrafted now?

If so, that’s the route I’m taking if I’m TC after this season. Europe will still be there in one year
I think you’re right about that.

What about TC thinking that his current coaching isn’t getting it done in developing his skills?

Reactions: unoHawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT