ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Softball

Six pitchers in the 2021 class! I'm guessing some will move into other positions. I'm not sure I have ever seen a class with so many pitchers, but I guess Doocy, Shaw, Emma, and Sarah are seniors. I'd think the last three could get another year like Doocy?

Go Hawks

Reactions: MossHawk6
She hits right and throws right.
I figured as much, interesting that she writes left handed. I knew a pretty good softball pitcher that threw righty but wrote left handed. She said all her brothers were righties so that was the only glove she had, learned to pitch righty.

I figured as much, interesting that she writes left handed. I knew a pretty good softball pitcher that threw righty but wrote left handed. She said all her brothers were righties so that was the only glove she had, learned to pitch righty.
Ya, my kids are the same way. One writes right handed, hit and throws left handed.

Other writes left handed, but hits and throws right (well she slaps now, but is a natural righty)

They are all messed up!

Reactions: mehawk
My wife is a lefty. She says there are many things that are right or left handed specific - even things like scissors, I think. So since the world is majority righty, you kind of go with what is available (like right handed golf clubs, baseball mitts, etc).

Wow Coach cleaned house.let some good players go.. To bad.. Ruther and Lewis had shot to be good.
Why is it too bad that a coach came in and wants players that buy into her program on the roster? This program was about as low as it could go. It needed something....

Above is a link to a podcast from Fastpitch News featuring coach Prater and a 2019 interview with Shaw that never aired.

Prater mentions a Big Ten Only schedule. When asked about newcomers she mentioned Marissa Peak as being a strong catcher with a lot of power at the plate, Sammy Diaz as being an athlete who has been playing well wherever they play her, Grace Banes as someone they are trying to find a spot for and Denali Loecker has been putting dents in the scoreboard in practice. They talked about the importance of recruiting Iowa kids and again mentioned Loecker saying they expect her to be an impact player and probably will be an All-American.

She said they have 6 pitchers and staying healthy will be key with the way the schedule will be set up (seemed to be implying multiple games over a short period of time).

Go Hawks!

Unless the roster doesn't show the freshman, it is kind of a strange group of pitchers - all seniors!! Hope I am misunderstanding something.

Drake and ISU both released their schedules. Both look "normal" but the Hawks are not on either teams schedule. Hoping the schedule is released soon.

Drake and ISU both released their schedules. Both look "normal" but the Hawks are not on either teams schedule. Hoping the schedule is released soon.
Both Baseball and Softball are doing a B1GTEN only schedule. Not sure if they will play more games then a normal series or not yet though. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Do they play a 5 game series this year to make up some missed games? Or do they play the regular 3 games series and just have a smaller schedule?

Will be interesting to see what the conference decides.

Both Baseball and Softball are doing a B1GTEN only schedule. Not sure if they will play more games then a normal series or not yet though. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Do they play a 5 game series this year to make up some missed games? Or do they play the regular 3 games series and just have a smaller schedule?

Will be interesting to see what the conference decides.

Conference is going to screw the schools by doing this.

One of the posters (parent of a player) on Ultimate College Softball said B1G was going to be 1-2-1. I took that to mean 4 games on a weekend series. Generally there are 7 weekends and 1 mid-week double header. Without mid-week nonconference games id think they may consider adding more mid-week double headers.
I agree FBnBB this is going to put the conference at a disadvantage.

I just saw a tweet from Rhiannon Potkey who reports on college sports. Her tweet said

Big Ten hoping release schedule by Feb 1.

No Big Ten Tournament

44 Game conference only schedule

Season starts Feb 26

Two weekends in Florida where all teams
will play and they will play 5 opponents
All could change due to Covid issues

I just saw a tweet from Rhiannon Potkey who reports on college sports. Her tweet said

Big Ten hoping release schedule by Feb 1.

No Big Ten Tournament

44 Game conference only schedule

Season starts Feb 26

Two weekends in Florida where all teams
will play and they will play 5 opponents
All could change due to Covid issues
Yep, just heard this tonight as well. 44 games, with the first 2 weekend in Florida somewhere.

One of the posters (parent of a player) on Ultimate College Softball said B1G was going to be 1-2-1. I took that to mean 4 games on a weekend series. Generally there are 7 weekends and 1 mid-week double header. Without mid-week nonconference games id think they may consider adding more mid-week double headers.
I agree FBnBB this is going to put the conference at a disadvantage.
What is "Ultimate College Softball" you refer to? Is it a forum somewhere? I would be interested in reading more. Thx!

Here's the link. Actually don't seem to be a lot of people posting there, and they spend a lot of time arguing with each other. There was a long thread about alleged abuses in the Maryland program a while back, have no idea how true any of it is.

UCS used to be a fun message board with a lot of information on college softball, but they don’t have a moderator anymore and as Row55 said it’s a lot of gibberish. There are a few threads with useful information, but you have to search for it. I hadn’t been there in a long time, but was looking anywhere for schedule information.

I follow In The Circle on Twitter. They have a podcasts and have had Coach G and Prater on in the last year.

For the softball team I‘m hearing two weekends in Leesburg Florida. The last weekend in February, then two weekends later. Playing six games each weekend. Three double headers the first weekend, then playing two teams three times the next weekend. Will not know the teams until just before heading down. Making sure to schedule only the teams that will be able to head down.

HillcrestH, do you know if fans will be allowed? I believe Leesburg is where The Springgames are played and they have tickets on their website for the other tournaments they are hosting. Thanks!

HillcrestH, do you know if fans will be allowed? I believe Leesburg is where The Springgames are played and they have tickets on their website for the other tournaments they are hosting. Thanks!
Ya, I was wondering the same thing. Daughter and I might make a trip down to watch if there are tickets available. I'll have her ask the coaches and let you know what they say.

Sorry I’m not sure. The player’s get four for their families. Hopefully they will let other fans in. Sounds like they are going to really limit it. Like other sports I guess.

Reactions: UptownHawk
Thanks, HillcrestH. I’m assuming no fans, but hoping I’m wrong. We’ve been to a pre-conference tournament every year since the early 2000s afraid they streak will end this year.

Uptown, I’m sure the team appreciates your loyalty. Hopefully something works out for you. I think they are setting up the parents in bleachers beyond the outfield.

Reactions: UptownHawk
Thanks, Hillcrest. Hopefully they games will be streamed on Flo Softball. There is a link on the Spring Games webpage for streaming, assuming these are the same fields B1G teams will be at.

ADVERTISEMENT