ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Softball

I forgot to say that superfan was at games this year after at least 5 years away. He asked to sing Take me out to the Ballgame like he did for years, but everyone was new and didn't remember him. Hopefully they start that tradition again. It was always fun.

Sunglasses & visors were absent in the outfield at last Saturday's sunny OSU game also, though did not impact play. Things that did - Owen's throw from 3rd missing Mayhew at 1st by about 6 feet; Bogar getting on with a nice single, then getting called out for leaving 1st early; Bogar and Mayhew colliding while chasing a pop fly behind 1st, don't know if Bogar didn't call her off or Mayhew just didn't hear. We had as many balls escape the infield as OSU did HR's. To be fair, the 3rd OSU game and the tourney game vs Wisc were better, but Saturday was ugly.

Reactions: Bum Leer
Sunglasses & visors were absent in the outfield at last Saturday's sunny OSU game also, though did not impact play. Things that did - Owen's throw from 3rd missing Mayhew at 1st by about 6 feet; Bogar getting on with a nice single, then getting called out for leaving 1st early; Bogar and Mayhew colliding while chasing a pop fly behind 1st, don't know if Bogar didn't call her off or Mayhew just didn't hear. We had as many balls escape the infield as OSU did HR's. To be fair, the 3rd OSU game and the tourney game vs Wisc were better, but Saturday was ugly.

You are exactly correct.

I have no idea what you are saying.

I do know that you get defensive and snide in answering others in this thread.

You still have no point of reference for your statements on regression

Give it a rest.

Looper dirty dealt a little on her way out so that didn’t help.
If the coach comes out and says ‘I love our hitting and we were great at fielding’ I would re evaluate my opinion. It isn’t personal so if it is taken that way I can’t help that.[/QUOTE]

Would you share what Looper did on her way out?

I’m optimistic about the new coach and future of the program and appreciate those in the know who keep the rest of us informed. Thanks to all who share!

I believe there were some scholarship enhancements given which tied up some money that would have been available to the new coach.

Reactions: beahawk
It's a grey area as told whether Coach Looper played games with the scholarships. Looper resigned on May 16th. Coach Gillespie was hired on June 8th.

Scholarships for the next academic year have to be renewed by July 1st.

https://informedathlete.com/ncaa-student-athlete-athletic-scholarship-notification-2018/

If there was an understanding with the athletic department that Looper was going to resign and she awarded the scholarships knowing that it would interfere with the new coach. That would suggest mal intent. She did the university a favor by resigning when she did because she could have waited until her contract expired. I don't think Iowa would have fired her with the current political climate around Iowa athletics and the firing of female coaches.They would have let her contract run out in July.

If the decision for her to leave was made after the season, I can't see how she can be blamed for preparing for the future. The players also have to make a choice for the next academic year.This scenario seems to be that she was doing it for the benefit of the athlete.along with the team.

Coach Gillespie had 3 weeks from the time she was hired to the scholarship renewal date. If she had students lined up that didn't come because of money, that's not a good thing. But with the July 1st cutoff, most athletes would have already made a decision .

This is the 2nd or 3rd time you have been on here questioning the coaching of the new staff. Don't you think it's fair based on the state of the program when they inherited that they be given at least 2-3 years before any judgement can be made?
How do you measure a staff in year one? I do it by examining whether returning players improve. Regardless of how good the player was last year, did they get better this year. With so many Freshmen in the starting lineup I didn't need to see overall improvement in the W/L record/overall batting average etc. What I needed to see is the staff making players better. While marginally better fundamentals is nice, more than anything else Iowa softball needs to hit the ball, and the batting averages of returning players virtually across the board were a lot worse. (That said, we were without a hitting coach the 2nd half of the season. Hoping that was a factor and next year when we are at full strength coaching-wise, hitting gets better.)

BTW - w/o posts questioning coaching there wouldn't BE message boards. They exist so guys can show how much smarter they are than the coach, right? At games (home and away), no one is rooting for Iowa softball more than me. I am confident the program will be better in the long run because at the very least Gillespie will get better players in the system.

Big Ten gets six teams into the NCAA tournament with three hosting (7 seed) Minnesota, (15 seed) Michigan, and (16 seed) Northwestern. OSU, Wisc and Illinois also in.

Big Ten gets six teams into the NCAA tournament with three hosting (7 seed) Minnesota, (15 seed) Michigan, and (16 seed) Northwestern. OSU, Wisc and Illinois also in.
Something for the Illini to cheer for this weekend, because their women's and men's track & field teams just finished last and next to last in the Big Ten championships in IC.

Reactions: 12Pitcher!
Posted today- National and Region:
Ruther Region 11 Offensive Player of Year- NJCAA National Player of Week
Swafford Region 11 Pitcher of Year
Guy Lewis Vos All Region 11
DMACC ranked #2 in Nation and just read they qualified for their 6th consecutive World Series appearance. 48-6.

I know Morgan and Avery well. She and the rest of the DMACC players will help the Hawks this next season. Excited for them all to get there! Both girls are friends and former club team mates of Kaylin Kinney from Kennedy HS, she is a stud and would be an impact player at Iowa and if Coach G is smart she will put a full court press on Kaylin to get her to flip from Nebraska to Iowa now that her friends are there. Would be a big get! Her and the DMACC lefty pitcher

Last edited:
Anyone interested in watching some good softball come out to Mt Mercy University's Busse field beginning this sunday for the start of the Metro Sports Summer softball league. Games start at 11am with Double headers being played, the second set of games start at 3pm. Many local College softball players from a bunch of different colleges will be playing. Sorta like the Prime Time League that the Basketball has in North Liberty, but for College softball. Its a good time and really quality play. They sell hotdogs, burgers and drinks so you can get a bite to eat and watch the games. http://www.metrosportsreport.com/in...nday&catid=283:msr-summer-softball&Itemid=473

Drmac, Do you know which four Hawkeyes are playing? I'm assuming Avery Guy is one since Dad Willie is a coach.

Last edited:
I wish more were playing. I think its something these college girls should take advantage of. Its super relaxed play. But competitive since all the girls are college players. We have no Drake players, or Iowa State. Which is to bad since I know it would give some of them playing time they are not getting at their respective colleges. In Truth its alot of fun and the girls enjoy playing with different girls they don't really know. I can tell you Kelsey Aikey, Jordon Kleman are really good pitchers along with DRay and Sara, Eric Oler is good but young. I think pitching might dominate for the first couple weekends.

Hope everyone got to watch the Iowa Womens Softball League (IWSL) on KCRG yesterday! Good Games and good pub for the league. Word needs to get out so the league keeps growing with new players. Its good the Iowa players are in it and now a few Iowa State girls. Need more. No Drake kids which is a shame since they have several that are fairly close to CR and could play. The league had a girl come down from Minneapolis yesterday to play so there is a need and desire to play. https://www.kcrg.com/content/sports...HzXjELSMrqfS3YuH87rqtADU-n4q7ihW1zt17VLNLd-jc

http://www.metrosportsreport.com/in...PYUvyG19jVvoO7ITe9WQQcAy3cI4ELRU-eiftXMB-gAPM

Thanks for the information.

I agree. I posted that I thought it was weird she wasn't playing more at the beginning of the year. She played well at SS in the fall.

Cantu had some legal problems(DWI).

Gotta find money for the 9 new players coming in.

I'm relieved that Bogar isn't on the list. It was just a hunch on my part, but she's a native Texan, just finished up her sophomore season, and is talented enough to attract interest from other programs, so I've been a bit apprehensive.

https://www.kcci.com/article/ogdens-denali-loecker-might-be-iowas-next-home-run-queen/28315275

Iowa gets a commitment from Denali Loecker from Ogden. 20 HR on the year.

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/nebra...cle_539e3565-0c87-5963-a9f1-fc9d921fa65f.html

Nebraska coach on administrative leave. Maybe this opens the door for Iowa to get Nebraska commit and CR native Kaylin Kinney.

http://theacc.com/news/2019/7/9/2020-big-ten-acc-softball-challenge-matchups-set.aspx

Iowa to play in Atlanta verses Ga Tech and Boston College in ACC/B1G Challenge

Reactions: Drmac22
https://www.kcci.com/article/ogdens-denali-loecker-might-be-iowas-next-home-run-queen/28315275

Iowa gets a commitment from Denali Loecker from Ogden. 20 HR on the year.

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/nebra...cle_539e3565-0c87-5963-a9f1-fc9d921fa65f.html

Nebraska coach on administrative leave. Maybe this opens the door for Iowa to get Nebraska commit and CR native Kaylin Kinney.

http://theacc.com/news/2019/7/9/2020-big-ten-acc-softball-challenge-matchups-set.aspx

Iowa to play in Atlanta verses Ga Tech and Boston College in ACC/B1G Challenge

I understand Gillespie is still working to flip Kinney. A coaching change in Lincoln couldn't hurt things.

I talk to them recently and she was sticking to the Nebby Commit, but that was before the news out of Nebby, if they let Revelles go.. Not sure how it would effect Kaylin. I always tell her half jokingly that she would look much better in Black and Gold! I hope only for the best for her as I got the privilege of Coaching her and Shes a terrific kid with an Awesome family. If Nebby is where she ends up, I will cheer for her..NEVER Nebby! Same went for Amber Fiser. I told her I would Always Cheer for her, but its tough to cheer for the gophers. I think if KK does go to Iowa it could be a program changer if she stays healthy. She can absolutely mash and her pitching is good! We shall see. She still has another year of HS to play and the rest of this season.

Reactions: BDJHawk and beahawk
I watched Olejniczak a few times - nice movement on her pitches, and has been pretty good at times. She was pretty important for UNI in 2018 when Spencer went down and another starter had transferred out. Spencer really came on late last season, guessing that might be a cause for the transfer. I wouldn't put her on par with Doocy or Lehman, though I would say it hurts UNI.

That brings the roster to 28 at the moment, not counting Schulte. Going to be interesting when the fall season starts.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT