ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Softball

With 6 Freshman coming in? 2 Seniors leaving. 11 total new players coming in. 18 - 2 + 11 = 27????? That would be extremely high.
4 position players, and one pitcher from DMACC. It will be at least 3, but likely 5.

My connection is only with DMACC. That was the news 1 week ago. Maybe something has changed since then?

Last edited:
4 position players, and one pitcher from DMACC. It will be at least 3, but likely 5.

My connection is only with DMACC. That was the news 1 week ago. Maybe something has changed since then?

Normal roster in the B1G is 20.

Unless the staff makes suggestions to some players now on the roster that it might be best to continue their careers elsewhere. I have no idea if Gillispie ever has done this. Seems like it happens in other programs, though. Also, Maryland lost to Michigan in game one, so we currently have an edge at making the tournament.

Last edited:
Who would those 5 Dmacc players be? Just wondering to keep tabs on them. Ruther and Guy, then Lewis???
Vos and not sure on pitcher, but I thought Swafford? Don’t quote me on Swafford. I believe Lewis and Swafford would be the question marks?

Gillispie seems to like speed.

Vos and not sure on pitcher, but I thought Swafford? Don’t quote me on Swafford. I believe Lewis and Swafford would be the question marks?

Gillispie seems to like speed.

Does that mean that the slappers will learn how to hit with 2 strikes? They haven't looked solid in that aspect this year.

Killian didn't play in game one, Owens was at 3B. Very interesting to me that Lehman seems to have passed Doocy as the #1 pitcher, she threw a two hit shutout. Schulte with the solo HR.

Last edited:
Big Win!!! Doocy may not be 100%, nice outing for Lehman. If she keeps the ball down she is tough.

Need Maryland to get swept by Michigan and MSU has to lose one more to Rutgers. Would be good to get all the Freshman some B1G Tournament experience.

...and the troll/spammer goes on ignore.

Hawks brought back to earth today. Very sobering to watch Doocy get pulled after failing to get an out in the 2nd, following a grand slam & 3-run HR. More sloppy defensively play to go along with. This program is still a long way from being even mid-level in the B10.

Ironically, despite this turd of a game, appears we qualified for the tournament due to Maryland and MSU also losing. There really is a God. :D

Last edited:

Hawks brought back to earth today. Very sobering to watch Doocy get pulled after failing to get an out in the 2nd, following a grand slam & 3-run HR. More sloppy defensively play to go along with. This program is still a long way from being even mid-level in the B10.
Is this talking about me?...If so, I guess I’ll never know. Was just poking fun at CID.

Future Hawkeye DMACCers having good day today.

FYI, one of them is my niece. Very proud to finally have somebody in the family that’s going to wear a Hawkeye Jersey!!!

Ironically, despite this turd of a game, appears we qualified for the tournament due to Maryland and MSU also losing. There really is a God. :D

I don’t think Doocy is 100% right now.

Reactions: Bum Leer
I think you are correct. She seemed in pain of some sort when they took her out. She was VERY frustrated.

Need Maryland to get swept by Michigan and MSU has to lose one more to Rutgers. Would be good to get all the Freshman some B1G Tournament experience.
Iowa clinches birth based on guaranteed better record against common opponents with Maryland -- currently at 3-7 for Iowa vs 1-10 for Maryland.

Last edited:
I want to thank ALL the Hawkeye fans for embracing my daughter during her time at Iowa. Softball didn’t go as any of us hoped or planned but I will say that Iowa was the best decision for my daughters future.

I’m very impressed with Coach Gillespie and her staff. Even though we weren’t part of the team she welcomed us with open arms and gave Brooke a great send off for senior day and the closure she needed.

Thanks again Hawk fans I wish nothing but the best for the program and the girls.

Iowa in the BTT right now vs. Wisconsin. Not looking good at the moment. Tied at 3 in the third and Lehman and the Hawks gave up some runs.

Nice to see the bats come alive today. Wisconsin made a couple nice plays to stop a big inning.

Go Hawks

Gillespie not shy about saying we need better players in the program.
https://hawkeyesports.com/news/2019/5/9/softball-hawkeyes-bounced-from-big-ten-tournament.aspx

Disappointing more wasn't done with the players we had this year though. With what I hoped would be better coaching should have seen better numbers from Thompson/Bogar/Kilian, but all their averages went way down. Doocy regressed some. Monteer was only returner who really showed improvement this year. That is not encouraging.

"...We do not want to be the last team in the Big Ten tournament and the first one out. That will not happen again in the history of Iowa softball." Very brave words, hope the team will be able to back that up.

Last edited:
https://hawkeyesports.com/news/2019/5/9/softball-hawkeyes-bounced-from-big-ten-tournament.aspx

Disappointing more wasn't done with the players we had this year though. With what I hoped would be better coaching should have seen better numbers from Thompson/Bogar/Kilian, but all their averages went way down. Doocy regressed some. Monteer was only returner who really showed improvement this year. That is not encouraging.

It will take time to turn the ship around. Next year will tell some things. Changing a culture and building back up is difficult.

Reactions: LinusPF
It will take time to turn the ship around. Next year will tell some things. Changing a culture and building back up is difficult.

I was told there was some significant improvements in fundamentals this year, that being said there is still some decent room for more. Hitting the cutoff, throwing to the correct base, backing up plays, etc. could use some help. Still need some hitting though.

Opponents hit .270 and Hawks hit .212. This is the worst average they have hit in a decade.

On a lighter side. I may apply to be official scorer for the games. Whoever does it now really makes some head scratchers. That isn't a new thing either.

Reactions: 12Pitcher!
Opponents hit .270 and Hawks hit .212. This is the worst average they have hit in a decade.

On a lighter side. I may apply to be official scorer for the games. Whoever does it now really makes some head scratchers. That isn't a new thing either.

According to the NCAA stats page, Iowa is 286th out of 295 teams in the team batting category.

They must have video because they changed some scoring decisions after an inning or two.

This is the 2nd or 3rd time you have been on here questioning the coaching of the new staff. Don't you think it's fair based on the state of the program when they inherited that they be given at least 2-3 years before any judgement can be made?

This is the 2nd or 3rd time you have been on here questioning the coaching of the new staff. Don't you think it's fair based on the state of the program when they inherited that they be given at least 2-3 years before any judgement can be made?

In its entirety, yes. Some things that can be observed like fundamentals or regression by a decent amount of individuals could be looked at.

Reactions: LinusPF
He has followed the team only this year and really has no idea if they have regressed.

ANYONE who has eve played the game knows statistics don't tell the whole story.

He has followed the team only this year and really has no idea if they have regressed.

ANYONE who has eve played the game knows statistics don't tell the whole story.

I think you will find that I have been on this forum far longer than that. Followed the disastrous Looper era, was around and fairly informed on the Blevins situation. Was here when Crankermo joined and bummed at his daughters injuries because he seems like a good egg. I know that Iowa didn’t bunt with 2 outs this year or with their best hitter. I know there is a long road to go and the coach is working to repair relations with Iowa high school coaches. So yeah I am a ‘just this year supporter’.

I am also a fairly objective poster and may know a bit about the game, I spend some time with a couple of Hall of Fame softball coaches and I trust their opinion quite a bit. Statistics don’t tell the entire story but they are fairly strong indicators. I am not as emotionally involved or connected as some of you are. Whether it’s your daughter, relative, etc. it may cloud your judgement. Anyone who watched this season and doesn’t see that more hitting is needed, more fundamentals are needed and some players stepped back some this year isn’t being realistic. It isn’t a slight to the coach, she was dealt a tough hand, has a lot of work to do to establish her program and she will. Looper dirty dealt a little on her way out so that didn’t help.
If the coach comes out and says ‘I love our hitting and we were great at fielding’ I would re evaluate my opinion. It isn’t personal so if it is taken that way I can’t help that.

Reactions: SLarew
Not related to anyone on the team.

It's not personal to me either.

No one here has said the team doesn't need to be better.

You admitted you haven't watched the team in previous years. My point is that you wouldn't know if the team has regressed because you haven't witnessed them before. They made incredible mistakes that wouldn't show up in statistics.

The year they won 3 BIG games, they hit 30 points better. They have regressed in one aspect, but they are a better coached team.

They were very, very, very bad the final 3 Looper years. They had multiple year starters who wouldn't have started for Coe. A 2 year starter didn't hit one out of the infield at home until her final game and that barely reached the grass. She went 4-4 without a ball getting past the pitcher in her final game to get over .200.

Players weren't required to wear sunglasses on sunny days and flies were lost in the sun. One player lost 2 in the same game and still wasn't required to put glasses on. 3 were lost in the sun during the same game. No glasses. It was ridiculous. This year was a first where I didn't look at other fans around me and ask WTF. I talked to the other ST holders around me and they all agreed it was better.

If a team had runners on first and 3rd, it was almost certain they would score and the runner would be on 2nd after the steal. That almost never happened this year and no statistics would show that.

For goodness sake, they lost to both Kirkwood and DMACC one fall.

Their stats were not as good in some aspects, but to say they regressed as a team is a huge misrepresentation. You just don't understand how bad they were.

Bottom line. The team was better coached this year. Fewer fielding mistakes. Better base running. .The talent on this team is young. I'm certain Kilian didn't have the senior year she wanted, but she changed positions again for the team. She's a true Hawk in my view and should be commended for staying through her senior year.

Reactions: icardinal
Not related to anyone on the team.

It's not personal to me either.

No one here has said the team doesn't need to be better.

You admitted you haven't watched the team in previous years. My point is that you wouldn't know if the team has regressed because you haven't witnessed them before. They made incredible mistakes that wouldn't show up in statistics.

The year they won 3 BIG games, they hit 30 points better. They have regressed in one aspect, but they are a better coached team.

They were very, very, very bad the final 3 Looper years. They had multiple year starters who wouldn't have started for Coe. A 2 year starter didn't hit one out of the infield at home until her final game and that barely reached the grass. She went 4-4 without a ball getting past the pitcher in her final game to get over .200.

Players weren't required to wear sunglasses on sunny days and flies were lost in the sun. One player lost 2 in the same game and still wasn't required to put glasses on. 3 were lost in the sun during the same game. No glasses. It was ridiculous. This year was a first where I didn't look at other fans around me and ask WTF. I talked to the other ST holders around me and they all agreed it was better.

If a team had runners on first and 3rd, it was almost certain they would score and the runner would be on 2nd after the steal. That almost never happened this year and no statistics would show that.

For goodness sake, they lost to both Kirkwood and DMACC one fall.

Their stats were not as good in some aspects, but to say they regressed as a team is a huge misrepresentation. You just don't understand how bad they were.

Bottom line. The team was better coached this year. Fewer fielding mistakes. Better base running. .The talent on this team is young. I'm certain Kilian didn't have the senior year she wanted, but she changed positions again for the team. She's a true Hawk in my view and should be commended for staying through her senior year.

The team was better coached this year, they were much better fundamentally. I am saying that they will need to continue to grow in those areas. There were a few wtf moments this year, it doesn't mean that I am painting a broad brush and saying everything was a dumpster fire this year. You suffered through the Looper years, it was horrible to see such a proud program sink like that. There were a couple of games that I attended where the drops occurred on routine plays, mid season I had some questions on the enthusiasm and energy level but that happens in a long grueling season, players were asked to do more than they had in other off seasons and it takes a season or two to adjust to that and maintain that energy level. As the season wound down the energy level and enthusiasm level raised and stayed higher, the team seemed to enjoy the process. Progress indeed but still a journey. Sunglasses are like attending the state tournament, should be obvious but the previous coach missed those memos.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT