ADVERTISEMENT

2022-2023 Roster (Connor is Back): 11 on Scholarship, 2 Scholarships Remain, 4 Walk Ons

We look like a bubble team that would get bounced in round 1 or 2 again. Now if we get some talent from the portal I’ll be changing my tune
This may be optimistic. I suspect that the pundits will predict us to finish even lower than they did last season.

We've seen very little from Mulvey. He should've been HIGH SCHOOL last year. He held scholarship offers from SYRACUSE and PENN St.

I have been told that the covid exemption has ended, he would count towards a scholarship
This isn't totally true. The COVID exemption has most definitely not ended. But they aren't exempt from scholarship limits, so Connor and Rebraca count. Iowa has 3 available right now.

The exemption applies to anyone playing basketball in college the 2019/20 season. The only ones on Iowa's roster who aren't eligible for it are Sandfort, Mulvey, Bowen, and Dix.

Reactions: icwesthawk
If Iowa is able to land the big from Utah Valley, a redshirt could be in order for Mulvey this next season. Big if though.
I think it’s also possible that Mulvey could back up Aimaq and that Rebraca could spend more time playing alongside the two of them. A lineup with Murray, Rebraca, and Aimaq is interesting to me

The issue is the very best portal players are highly sought by the blue bloods as well, with the competition in many cases being more acute than for HS players. Very good transfers are highly coveted for several reasons:

They have proven that they can play at the college level. Even very good HS recruits may take a year to adjust/be good college players
They fill a specific need in many cases.
They only take up a scholarship for a year or 2 in many cases. This is related to point 2. Doesn't disrupt your recruiting at the position or block other players you will bring into the program.

I don't think it's a matter of "Fran's ability to do well" in the portal. He has faults, but he has been very good at identifying good players, and many times identifying who will be good before others identify they will be good. There are numerous examples at Iowa of such players (Olaseni, White, Garza, Murray twins, etc.) Also others who Fran was in on early but then they exploded their profile and the blue bloods came calling (Tyler Ulis is one). But there is a limited supply of really good players in the portal, and the competition is fierce for them. It's not just a matter of saying "we want you" to a guy in the portal.

Objectively, if I were a talented big in the portal, Iowa would be extremely attractive. Fran has demonstrated his offense can let talented big players shine, see Garza, both Murrays. You would be paired with Kris Murray, which means you have another NBA-type talent on the floor with you. And you would have a path to playing time (at minimum 25 minutes per game). Yes, Rebraca is back, but any talented big is going to face far more fierce competition for PT at a blue blood than Rebraca.

Sorry for the long post, but if, big if, Iowa can land the Utah Valley kid or the Stanford big or one that we aren't aware of, the team next year could be quite good/interesting. My opinion is that Bowen is going to be the best pure PG has had since Dev Marble. Bohannon was tremendous in his own way, but Bowen appears to be able to get in the lane, but also have a more well-rounded offensive game than Iowa has seen at the position in some time. Still has to do it, but Bowen and Perkins playing together is very interesting. Two guards with some size, who can both drive, pass and score.
Didn't seem to be too tough for schools like Arkansas, Providence, and Iowa State coming off of a 2 win season. Even programs like Nebraska can get players like Verge. Those aren't blue bloods, they just put an emphasis on the portal and Fran does not. Simple as that.

Fran recovered from some huge losses last year but I would argue I felt better about the future of the entire roster than this year. I really thought the D would be better this year and it improved some. The O was surprisingly good. Obviously hard to keep 13 guys entirely happy when there are so many schools out there. I think Rebraca can step forward next year and maybe shot the 3 even. Who knows on the portal, maybe they can find help and depth at the 2, maybe Fran doesnt go that route. I would be surprised if he did add a combo guard. Maybe the kid from IU.

As you can see, Iowa is showing interest in Rob Phinisee. He's been with IU for 4 seasons.

His averages:

....................MIN...PTS....FG%...3PT%...FT%...Reb....Asst....Blk....Stl
Last Year.
.......18.......4.5......31%....26%.....41%......2.1........1.7.......0.2.....0.8
Career............24.......6.5......35%...29%.....65%.....2.6.......2.8......0.2.....0.9

So what are the odds that Laketa gets a scholarship?
4c1f74d57f8b9a4b65020100

• Haha
Reactions: BBHawk
At the end of this post is a link to Wed's HawkCentral podcast with Des Moines Register beat writers Chad Leistikow & Kenny Smith.

There's a lot of good stuff there.

Things that they discussed that stood out:

Chad Leistikow said the Joe departure was a surprise; he thought Ulis was the most likely to leave based on his limited role in the B1G Tournament (lots of 2nd halves where Ulis did not play)

Chad talked to Fran after Joe announced he was leaving; Joe wanted 30 plus minutes per game playing time. Fran could not guarantee this because Fran is high on Dasonte Bowen.

Chad said Fran is REALLY excited about Dasonte.

Looks like Dasonte & Ulis will share the PG role AND you have Connor & Tony who can handle the ball.

Chad and Kenny brought up that Joe could have pouted (or worse) when he got benched but he was a great teammate.

Fran told Chad that Joe was not miserable; he just wanted more.

Kenny said the Kris is looking forward to having the ball in his hands more.

Chad brought up player development & he said the thinks 2 players are ready to take off: Patrick at the 3 and Kris at the 4. Kenny is really high on Tony taking off next year as well. Kenny said Tony's confidence exploded when he was named starter.

Speaking of player development: Will Riley Mulvey make a jump by getting those reps in practice?

Chad said Fran had nothing but praise for Josh O and Joe T as they exit the program. Chad reminded us that there was only one transfer where Fran made no statement: CJ Fredrick.

The medical team thinks Josh Dix will be ready to play this season.

This will be the first offseason for Connor where it will only be basketball. He won't be juggling baseball and he won't be recovering from injury

So, coming back, for starters:

1: Bowen/Ulis
2: Tony/Payton
3. Patrick/Payton
4. Kris
5. Filip (he started every game last season)

Then you have Connor, Riley and hopefully Josh Dix coming off the bench.

Fran said he WILL get a 5 out of the portal.
The problem? All of the good ones out there have other schools after them as well. But Fran has playing time to offer. If you get a quality 5 you could then have FIlip coming off the bench and you can let Mulvey develop another year. Then you have 6'10 center Owen Freeman arriving in 2023.

Chad said Fran might pocket the remaining 2 scholarships because Fran & company are really attacking the 2023 class. Owen Freeman has already committed; there's a really good chance Pryce Sandfort joins the Hawks as well.

Chad thinks Iowa is really set up well for next season.

LINK TO THE FULL PODCAST:

At the end of this post is a link to Wed's HawkCentral podcast with Des Moines Register beat writers Chad Leistikow & Kenny Smith.

There's a lot of good stuff there.

Things that they discussed that stood out:

Chad Leistikow said the Joe departure was a surprise; he thought Ulis was the most likely to leave based on his limited role in the B1G Tournament (lots of 2nd halves where Ulis did not play)

Chad talked to Fran after Joe announced he was leaving; Joe wanted 30 plus minutes per game playing time. Fran could not guarantee this because Fran is high on Dasonte Bowen.

Chad said Fran is REALLY excited about Dasonte.

Looks like Dasonte & Ulis will share the PG role AND you have Connor & Tony who can handle the ball.

Chad and Kenny brought up that Joe could have pouted (or worse) when he got benched but he was a great teammate.

Fran told Chad that Joe was not miserable; he just wanted more.

Kenny said the Kris is looking forward to having the ball in his hands more.

Chad brought up player development & he said the thinks 2 players are ready to take off: Patrick at the 3 and Kris at the 4. Kenny is really high on Tony taking off next year as well. Kenny said Tony's confidence exploded when he was named starter.

Speaking of player development: Will Riley Mulvey make a jump by getting those reps in practice?

Chad said Fran had nothing but praise for Josh O and Joe T as they exit the program. Chad reminded us that there was only one transfer where Fran made no statement: CJ Fredrick.

The medical team thinks Josh Dix will be ready to play this season.

This will be the first offseason for Connor where it will only be basketball. He won't be juggling baseball and he won't be recovering from injury

So, coming back, for starters:

1: Bowen/Ulis
2: Tony/Payton
3. Patrick/Payton
4. Kris
5. Filip (he started every game last season)

Then you have Connor, Riley and hopefully Josh Dix coming off the bench.

Fran said he WILL get a 5 out of the portal. The problem? All of the good ones out there have other schools after them as well. But Fran has playing time to offer. If you get a quality 5 you could then have FIlip coming off the bench and you can let Mulvey develop another year. Then you have 6'10 center Owen Freeman arriving in 2023.

Chad said Fran might pocket the remaining 2 scholarships because Fran & company are really attacking the 2023 class. Owen Freeman has already committed; there's a really good chance Pryce Sandfort joins the Hawks as well.

Chad thinks Iowa is really set up well for next season.

LINK TO THE FULL PODCAST:

If PMac wants to take the next step, he needs to stop that turnaround leaning back middle ranger. One of the most difficult shots in basketball and I don't recall him ever making one.

Reactions: NI hawk
just a reminder....nothing has changed since Wednesday. We have 3 scholarships available

Current 2022-2023 Roster (10 currently on scholarship; 3 Scholarships Available):

2026 (when scheduled to graduate): 2 players

6'3" PG Dasonte Bowen

6'5" SG Josh Dix

2025 (when scheduled to graduate): 2 players

6'7" F Payton Sandfort

6'11" C Riley Mulvey

2024 (when scheduled to graduate): 4 players

6'4" G Tony Perkins

6'2" G Ahron Ulis

6'8" F Kris Murray

6'9" SF Patrick McCaffery

2023 (when scheduled to graduate): 2 players

6'9" SF Filip Rebraca

6'5" G/F Connor McCaffery

Notable Walk on players:

2025 (when scheduled to graduate): 2 players

Luc Laketa--a 2021 6'6" wing/forward; on May 13, 2021, it was announced he would be joining the roster as a preferred walk on.

Carter Kingsbury--a 2021 6'5", 230 lb shooting guard; on July 10, 2021, it was announced he would be joining the roster as a preferred walk on.

Reactions: perryhawk
I wouldn't expect him to tie them up long term as the 2023 class has some talent that we're in on and we need to have scholarships available.

Now, if Fardaws Aimaq is a one and done (portal) guy then that would be good for the 2023 class as Connor/Rebraca and then Aimaq and possibly Kris Murray leave after next year then Fran can get a big haul in 2023 and 2024 where we sit good with some guys.

I expect Connor and a big man from portal and that's it. Maybe give Kingsbury and/or Laketa a one year ride.
Iowa needs to fill every open spot with a legit player. Not give a ride to a walk on. There are guys in the portal right now that would help Iowa for sure.

Iowa needs to fill every open spot with a legit player. Not give a ride to a walk on. There are guys in the portal right now that would help Iowa for sure.
In a recent interview Fran indicated that they wanted a big from the portal and after that he is considering just saving the open rides for the 2023 class which they are working hard. I don't believe that rules out taking someone else for next year but, they are being very selective.

Reactions: BBHawk
In a recent interview Fran indicated that they wanted a big from the portal and after that he is considering just saving the open rides for the 2023 class which they are working hard. I don't believe that rules out taking someone else for next year but, they are being very selective.
I'm honestly guessing you will pick up Aimaq. So sounds like you're banking 2. Will be an outstanding pickup for Fran.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT