ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Recruiting (1 Scholarship Left): Jaxon Kohler & Josh Dix VISITED Sep3, Tyler Nickel Sep17. Aidan Shaw VISITED Jun23. Kyle Filipowski to Duke

@DodgerHawki

With only 2 scholarships remaining and one likely going to SG Jos Dix, we have just one scholarship left for a big. Hopefully we land Filipowski, Shaw or Nickel.

There has been some bitching in this thread about who Fran has landed and not landed so for for 2022. I would say the results are not too bad. So far, of course, Fran has landed his PG, in Dasonte Bowen, and a big, in Riley Mulvey (who then decided to reclassify to to 2021). If he lands Dix, which is likely, that will be another nice piece to this class.
Why is this perpetuated, that Dix is likely a guarantee? Is he raving about Iowa lately? Is it just because someone from the staff is watching him each weekend to let him know he's a priority? TK's 50% on the recruiting board? Seriously, where is this implication coming from as to keep being stated? Really hoping that it is just that I missed an update where he named Iowa the leader and set a timeframe for committing, but I check the boards more than a person should and I'm really not remembering either of those things.

Reactions: perryhawk
Iowa offered Alex Karaban on May 4, 2021.

Alex plays on the Expressions Elite AAU team with Dasonte Bowen (2022 PG Commit), Reed Bailey (2022 PF, who Iowa offered) and Taylor Bowen (2023 prospect Iowa has offered).

Why is this perpetuated, that Dix is likely a guarantee? Is he raving about Iowa lately? Is it just because someone from the staff is watching him each weekend to let him know he's a priority? TK's 50% on the recruiting board? Seriously, where is this implication coming from as to keep being stated? Really hoping that it is just that I missed an update where he named Iowa the leader and set a timeframe for committing, but I check the boards more than a person should and I'm really not remembering either of those things.

I have never guaranteed anything. I have always said "likely," and that is based on:

He took an Unofficial Visit on June 8, 2021

On June 8, 2021 Tom Kakert forecasted Josh to IOWA

He LIKELY takes an Official Visit to Iowa this fall.

I have never guaranteed anything. I have always said "likely," and that is based on:

He took an Unofficial Visit on June 8, 2021

On June 8, 2021 Tom Kakert forecasted Josh to IOWA

He LIKELY takes an Official Visit to Iowa this fall.
K, so then just optimism is why. That is completely fine, just not based on anything from Dix himself, so that's good to know.

I tend to agree…..this kid continues to impress with his play. I’m not sure that he isn’t better than Schutt or the kid that committed to Xavier after visiting us……but he has had plenty of visits and apparently isn’t ready to commit so I don’t think this is a slam dunk. I also believe that if this kid was from some other state he would be more highly rated…..kid is a big, skilled, and athletic guard who has been consistently impressive.

@skydog0784

I agree with you. Iowa has been recruiting Tyler Nickel long and hard; they offered on June 24, 2020. Blue bloods like UNC were late to the party.

Why do you like our chances vs North Carolina? Simply because we offered earlier?

Some have argued in this thread that Fran will only be considered successful and a fantastic recruiter if he actually lands a Kyle Filipowski or a Tyler Nickel. It's cool to see you feel otherwise.

Regarding your question on why I like our chances vs UNC…

1. Fran and other staff members continue to invest valuable time, money, and energy watching and recruiting. Although other schools are too (and Fran does go all out recruiting to the bitter end sometimes), IA must be receiving some buying signals.

2. The National success of Garza (a fellow East Coast guy) & the program last year.

3. Fran has gotten some players into the NBA - Cook, Uthoff, Marble with Joe W, Garza, and Keegan as good possibilities. I’m sure Fran is selling him on his development of Joe W, Marble, and Keegan with similar type games as his.

4. He has secured Bowen and is in very well reportedly with two other major recruits- Flip and Shaw.

5. UNC is down from past years with a coaching transition (balanced against UNC supposedly was his dream school growing up, hence finishing #2 in my scenario).

6. A poster with ties to Nickel family reporting Nickel loved Iowa and was his choice if he had to decide then. Granted that was months ago, before he received high profile offers, and the poster could be totally non-credible but it seemed credible to me anyway.

7. He’s visited on his own dime half way across the country.

No inside knowledge, just a gut feeling based on some signals is all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Franisdaman
We’ll see if he blows up into a top 100 / 4 star recruit. Until then he isn’t in that list with Cook and Garza, he’s on par with Basabe, Moss, etc.

other sites have Dasonte as a 4 star; for some reason Rivals only has him a 3 star

but Rivals seems to be a bit slow and behind the other ratings sites; for example, they still have not given Josh Dix a rating

I suspect UNC is no longer in the running for Nickel. Technically, they are out of scholarships for 2022, but there is the assumption that there will be some premature attrition. How much is speculative, but a minimum of two is the prevailing opinion. That said, UNC has some targets a bit higher on their recruiting board than Nickel. I imagine Coach Davis' attention will not be focused on him. If they miss on the elite prospects, there is always the transfer portal next spring. If there is local competition for Nickel, I imagine it will be Va Tech. Among other things, they are only a couple of hours down I-81 from Elkton.

What do you think Iowa's chances are?

What do you think Iowa's chances are?
I have no idea. Presumably, when a prospect travels halfway across the country to visit, you have to believe the interest level is pretty high. That said, Virginia was never involved with Nickel so I haven't followed him, but I do keep tabs on UNC recruiting along with other ACC rivals. UNC has three scholarship players at his spot (Puff Johnson, Kerwin Walton, and Dontrez Styles) and they're all underclassmen. They'll probably lose Bacot, Dawson, and, maybe, Love this spring, so replacing them is probably a higher priority at the moment.

I have no idea. Presumably, when a prospect travels halfway across the country to visit, you have to believe the interest level is pretty high. That said, Virginia was never involved with Nickel so I haven't followed him, but I do keep tabs on UNC recruiting along with other ACC rivals. UNC has three scholarship players at his spot (Puff Johnson, Kerwin Walton, and Dontrez Styles) and they're all underclassmen. They'll probably lose Bacot, Dawson, and, maybe, Love this spring, so replacing them is probably a higher priority at the moment.

my only concern is that this official visit is 2 months from now

are you saying he is on his way to becoming a 2 star? :oops:
No, Fran. Despite all the glowing reports we get on him this summer, I just noticed that his rank as a PG dropped on their site. I have nothing but high expectations for Dasonte, and hope his commitment will attract some other high quality players.

Iowa offered Kyle Filipowski on June 18, 2020.

13 months later, it is so very nice to see that Cal thinks he's worthy of a Kentucky scholarship (sarcasm).

Puke, of course, was late to the game, too. Nevertheless, 2 Rivals Publishers have forecasted Flip to Duke.

Kyle, of course, visited Iowa City July 1 and 2.

I am confused as Hawkstrat's post references Rivals 2x - on both sides of the top 100 list. Do I need help with my reading comprehension?

Fingers betrayed me. Bowen is ranked by two of the three major services, Rivals being the holdout. I assume there is just going to be more variance between the services for awhile due to covid screwing up travel last year. I also assume he'll be ranked on Rivals before it's said and done.

https://nikeeyb.com/eybl-schedule/

You can get Bowen's stats through 4 games on this page. He plays for BABC.

So far he's averaging

Points - 17.25
Rebounds - 4.25
Assists - 3.25
Turnovers - 2.75
Steals - 1.5
FG % - 26/49 (53.1%)
3P % - 8/17 (47.1%)
FT % - 9/10 (90%)
Thanks for posting those….with the exception of turnovers, those are strong numbers. Three point percentage and FT look great!

Thanks for posting those….with the exception of turnovers, those are strong numbers. Three point percentage and FT look great!
TOs will be higher across the board playing in summer leagues. Less time playing together, practicing. That his A/TO ratio is positive is a good thing🙂

You always know that Fran-recruited PG’s will be able to dish the rock 🙂

The shooting numbers are what make me really optimistic. I didn’t know if jump shooting was a big part of his game or if he was more of a Toussaint-like guard where most points come at the rim/mid-range

Regarding your question on why I like our chances vs UNC…

1. Fran and other staff members continue to invest valuable time, money, and energy watching and recruiting. Although other schools are too (and Fran does go all out recruiting to the bitter end sometimes), IA must be receiving some buying signals.

2. The National success of Garza (a fellow East Coast guy) & the program last year.

3. Fran has gotten some players into the NBA - Cook, Uthoff, Marble with Joe W, Garza, and Keegan as good possibilities. I’m sure Fran is selling him on his development of Joe W, Marble, and Keegan with similar type games as his.

4. He has secured Bowen and is in very well reportedly with two other major recruits- Flip and Shaw.

5. UNC is down from past years with a coaching transition (balanced against UNC supposedly was his dream school growing up, hence finishing #2 in my scenario).

6. A poster with ties to Nickel family reporting Nickel loved Iowa and was his choice if he had to decide then. Granted that was months ago, before he received high profile offers, and the poster could be totally non-credible but it seemed credible to me anyway.

7. He’s visited on his own dime half way across the country.

No inside knowledge, just a gut feeling based on some signals is all.

Nickel's visit in Sep would be an official visit where Iowa pays the bills. Pretty sure Nickel has not visited Iowa City yet unofficially, where he/his parents paid his own way

I tend to agree…..this kid continues to impress with his play. I’m not sure that he isn’t better than Schutt or the kid that committed to Xavier after visiting us……but he has had plenty of visits and apparently isn’t ready to commit so I don’t think this is a slam dunk. I also believe that if this kid was from some other state he would be more highly rated…..kid is a big, skilled, and athletic guard who has been consistently impressive.

Perry, as I stated above, I have never guaranteed anything when it comes to Josh Dix. I have always said him committing to Iowa was "likely," and that, of course, is based on:

* He took an Unofficial Visit on June 8, 2021

* On June 8, 2021 Tom Kakert forecasted Josh to IOWA

* He LIKELY takes an Official Visit to Iowa this fall

* Purdue is now out of the picture after they signed their SG

The latest (and I would think Iowa is leading this current group of 4):

Reactions: perryhawk
Perry, as I stated above, I have never guaranteed anything when it comes to Josh Dix. I have always said him committing to Iowa was "likely," and that, of course, is based on:

Yep, I understood that you hadn’t guaranteed anything….. I think that “generally” the tone of conversation with Josh has been that he’s an Iowa kid and that Iowa was the favorite… not based on anything you said.

I always worry about landing recruits that “we should get” and in this instance the longer it drags on the more uncomfortable I get…with the posted rumors that Fran stepped on someone’s toes..

Subscription-only link, BTW.

Yep, I understood that you hadn’t guaranteed anything….. I think that “generally” the tone of conversation with Josh has been that he’s an Iowa kid and that Iowa was the favorite… not based on anything you said.

I always worry about landing recruits that “we should get” and in this instance the longer it drags on the more uncomfortable I get…with the posted rumors that Fran stepped on someone’s toes..

can you state anything more about the posted rumors you mentioned? Fran stepped on someone’s toes? I had not heard that.

Reactions: BBHawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT