ADVERTISEMENT

2023-24 Big Ten MBB Discussion Thread

Minnesota just blew a 20 point lead they had at home to Mizzou. Minnesota shot 7-14 from 3 in the first half and then just 1-9 in the 2nd. Down the stretch there were some boneheaded turnovers and fouls too.
I actually don't think that roster is terrible this year. But this is what happens when you're a bad program for so long--you get tight as soon as a team starts to make a run and then start playing not to lose. Freshman Cam Christie (Max Christie's brother who played at Michigan St) is getting a lot of run and even took the final shot tonight to try and win it.

The 2nd half of the Mizzou game has stuck with the Gophers today. Struggling with USC Upstate early in the 2nd half.

Indiana loses by 20 to UConn in MSG. Mgbako continues to be very disappointing to start. He's bad defensively at the 3, and on offense it seems like every 4 or 5 minutes there is a shot that he forces just because he hasn't gotten a shot up in a while. Reneau was excellent today, but fouled out with about 7 minutes to go because Woodson couldn't really afford to go away from him. With as many 4s are on this team, you'd think that would be Indiana's deepest position--but right now Woodson doesn't trust anyone not named Malik Reneau there.

Northwestern v Mississippi State was on my secondary screen so I wasn't watching too closely. But it felt about what I expected in the preseason--Northwestern isn't nearly as good defensively as they were last season and with how small this team is outside of Nicholson, this team will live and die by the 3 on offense--today they went 6 for 26 from deep and lost to a pretty solid Mississippi State team by 9. Langborg has been decent from what I've seen, but Blake Preston is not a Power 6 caliber player they got in the portal.

Reactions: chaneccooms
If we all agree the conference isn’t good, can we at least stop the morons online from saying we are overrated?? Lol. You can’t have your cake and eat it too.
Yep. The basis of overrating is giving them more credit than they are due. B1G as a league isn't due a lot of credit, relative to other major conferences, and the aren't getting it for the most part.
The one glaring exception is sparty at the high end getting their usual undeserved early season talk as final four contenders that they almost immediately fail to live up to. I think they are at the bottom of any talk of the league being overrated. One team that is given way too much credit before a game has even been played and then fails to live up to that. Outside of pu, the rest of the conference is a mixed bag. Nobody's great. Terps are pretty lousy to start the year, but that's the only team that's really flopped.

Bounceback day for the Big Ten with Wisconsin taking it to Virginia, Purdue having a fantastic 2nd half against Gonzaga and Indiana surviving against Louisville. Indiana continues to look like a team that is going to struggle to make the tournament. Not sure if having no outside shooting in 2023-24 basketball is a solvable problem.

Reactions: TheCainer
Bounceback day for the Big Ten with Wisconsin taking it to Virginia, Purdue having a fantastic 2nd half against Gonzaga and Indiana surviving against Louisville. Indiana continues to look like a team that is going to struggle to make the tournament. Not sure if having no outside shooting in 2023-24 basketball is a solvable problem.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
Reactions: 4IUSox2
Nice bounceback for Maryland in the first half today. On Friday they scored 40 points in a game, tonight they scored 57 in the first half.

pu was ice cold for a long stretch in the first half. finally picked it up again to close it to a 1 point game at 3:44.

Marquette is about the best team I have seen this year so far.
Shakka is a very good recruiter evidently.
Besides all-america kolek they have a number of good guards, all better than anyone Hawks have.
Their big guy is a bouncy athletic stud.
They kicked ku's arse last nite.
Warmed my heart to see self and Dickinson go down.
Jayhawks will be there in March tho.
Big East is a damn solid BB league.

As for Purdue they are versatile.
Lowry and Smith are stronger physically(Brock Hardy template)
as sophomores and that new BIG looks solid as backup for Edey.
If they beat Marquette they go to #1.
They probably run away from the pack in the BIG this year.

Besides all-america kolek they have a number of good guards, all better than anyone Hawks have.
Big East top 3 of Marquette, UConn and Creighton. Damn. 3 top 10 teams with both UConn and Marquette really good chances to win the whole thing. Happy that at least Purdue looks to be a final 4 contender. Gonzaga and Tennessee both really good wins. They’ll win this league by 3-4 games.

It's early, but from what I've seen the big east is the best men's b-ball league. Great teams at the top. very solid teams in the middle. Sure, they've got a couple of stinkers (depaul and georgetown). Other than those 2 turds, even the lower half of their league looks decent. In the past few seasons I think I've enjoyed watching big east b-ball as much as any other.

Reactions: littlez
It's early, but from what I've seen the big east is the best men's b-ball league. Great teams at the top. very solid teams in the middle. Sure, they've got a couple of stinkers (depaul and georgetown). Other than those 2 turds, even the lower half of their league looks decent. In the past few seasons I think I've enjoyed watching big east b-ball as much as any other.
The SEC is also very good this year--8 teams inside the top-35 on KenPom right now. The top might not be as good as the Big East's top 3, but that league is deep as hell.

The SEC is also very good this year--8 teams inside the top-35 on KenPom right now. The top might not be as good as the Big East's top 3, but that league is deep as hell.
Agree.
Would be very interesting to see a matchup of the best 10 from the big east vs the best 10 from SEC.

Missed the Purdue vs Tennessee game. I see Estrella is still not getting much PT under Barnes. Oh well. C'est la vie!

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Missed the Purdue vs Tennessee game. I see Estrella is still not getting much PT under Barnes. Oh well. C'est la vie!
I hope Fran is keeping at least one scholarship open for the spring transfers. I imagine the NIL money is only a one year deal. There’s no reason for a player like Estrella not to transfer if he’s not developing.

Reactions: skydog0784
PU on fire (7 OF 9 FROM ARC) in 1st half vs Marquette...up 45-32 at half.
They shoot like that nobody in BIG will beat them.
But they won't in Carver....hopefully...otherwise they put up 110 on us.

Great ballgame. Purdue guard play is much improved. And Edey is basically unstoppable. What a beast.

Edey with the offensive tap in for Purdue 3 point lead. Marquette misses tying shot and fouls. Purdue leads by 3 with 7.6 left.

Purdue misses FT but Edey with offensive rebound. He gets fouled and misses ... but Marquette missed long look at buzzer. Purdue wins.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT