ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Big 10 Tournament Session II Thread

Agreed, talent is a major factor but PSU wrestles very tactical matches compared to us.
It's like they are trained for strengths and weaknesses of individual wrestlers. Kerk doesn't even wrestle like the same guy he was. He is so much more technically sound now.
Agreed, what did Warner or Cass do differently from the last 2 losses to Dean and Kerk. If we win, we don't change. If we lose, we don't change. I can understand the don't fix what isn't broken attitude. When you lose multiple close matches to guys that are a little better, you can't narrow the gap by changing nothing. I love TnT and always will, but their stubbornness is also their biggest weakness as coaches imo.

Last edited:
Agreed, talent is a major factor but PSU wrestles very tactical matches compared to us.
It's like they are trained for strengths and weaknesses of individual wrestlers. Kerk doesn't even wrestle like the same guy he was. He is so much more technically sound now.
It's like they look at tape on top competition and have individual plans for their matches.
Am I crazy or does anyone else think this?
Well planning for individual matches isn't exactly ground breaking in the world of wrestling. But hey we don't worry about what the other guys do. We just worry about getting to our shots.

Reactions: NLB_Six
Don’t get me started on the Wrestling All-American thing again… he might have five AAs, but 395 other “All-American” titles were also handed out during that time frame as well.
How many do Murin, Brands, and Assad have? Find another target.

Warner took the same shot how many times in the third period??....it was a lot. What's your second or third option?

For real. PSU from 174-285, Very solid is the initial observation, until it becomes absolute domination. 'Vliet Nam v Cassioppi? Dean v Warner? etc., etc.,

Reactions: SCOTTSDALEHAWK
A lot of transfers out of the PSU program, e.g., Teske, Suriano, VerKleeren... When they go to these other programs, why can't anyone explain it? Teske : What do they do over there, and how do they do it?

How many do Murin, Brands, and Assad have? Find another target.
Warner is sometimes the whipping boy but I think a lot of it is bc he's good enough to be a champion... but he's just so consistently lost the same way. Murin is an overachiever.
No one expected him to be a champ. Assad and brands have gotten plenty of heat, they just haven't been here as long as Warner.

But as a very casual wrestling fan, I do have to say, PSU wrestlers are fun to watch as they develop within a season. Normal progression is an IA cat will beat a PSU foe. Upon the rematch, I like PSU's chances. \

Warner is sometimes the whipping boy but I think a lot of it is bc he's good enough to be a champion... but he's just so consistently lost the same way. Murin is an overachiever.
No one expected him to be a champ. Assad and brands have gotten plenty of heat, they just haven't been here as long as Warner.

At Iowa guys come in and improve fast and then don’t evolve.
At PSU they keep progressing for years. How many examples of matchups continually slanting in their favor. — RBY/ADS, Kerk/Cass, Lee/Eierman, Warner/Dean. It almost never goes the other way.

If Murin, Assad, Warner and Cass dualed freshman versions of themselves it would be a tossup.

Everyone’s acting like kerk wasn’t a #1 overall recruit who gave steveson all he wanted in high school despite being younger. Dude hasn’t been healthy and was still on the smaller side. Now he’s healthy, put on mass and as much as it pains me…he works out against literally the best in the world everyday. He’s simply better than Cass. Penn state gets the best recruits and then they (mostly) develop them. They have every resource available to do so. Tis what it tis.

At Iowa guys come in and improve fast and then don’t evolve.
At PSU they keep progressing for years. How many examples of matchups continually slanting in their favor. — RBY/ADS, Kerk/Cass, Lee/Eierman, Warner/Dean. It almost never goes the other way.

If Murin, Assad, Warner and Cass dualed freshman versions of themselves it would be a tossup.
Murin would murder his freshman self but the rest I probably wouldn't disagree with. Warner would manage to lose to his freshman self via late 3rd period brain cramp.

Everyone’s acting like kerk wasn’t a #1 overall recruit who gave steveson all he wanted in high school despite being younger. Dude hasn’t been healthy and was still on the smaller side. Now he’s healthy, put on mass and as much as it pains me…he works out against literally the best in the world everyday. He’s simply better than Cass. Penn state gets the best recruits and then they (mostly) develop them. They have every resource available to do so. Tis what it tis.
When Cass and Kerk first wrestled, Cass must have had at least 40 or 50 pounds on him, so Cass was able to physically abuse Kerk. Before the 2021 season, Cass became leaner and more fit to increase his speed and agility to try to beat Steveson, while Kerk grew into the HWT class and seems to have kept growing bigger and bigger. Tonight, I thought Kerk looked much bigger than Cass. So now Kerk is bigger and stronger than Cass, plus Kerk is still quicker and more athletic.

At this point, Kerk is very confident in all positions against Cass, so Cass probably has a better shot beating Parris than Kerk. I'm hoping Parris wins Big10s so he is #1 seed, and maybe Cass could end up seeded 4th or 5th so he is on Parris's side of the bracket.

Murin would murder his freshman self but the rest I probably wouldn't disagree with. Warner would manage to lose to his freshman self via late 3rd period brain cramp.
Warner is a 4 time All American at 197 that has improved every season:
2019: 7th
2020: 5th (All American status from seeding in Covid year)
2021: 4th (Free Year due to Covid)
2022: 2nd
2023: ???

Hopefully he will end up being a 5 time All American - ALL AT 197! It is extremely rare to be a 4 time All American wrestling their entire career at 197. In the past 20 years, I believe there have been five: Warner, Moore (tOSU), Cox (Mizz), Simaz (Cor), and Davis (PSU). Even the mighty Cael was not a 4 timer at 197 - he started at 184.

197 seems to be a weight that is difficult for a team to keep filled year after year with an All American quality wrestler. I believe Iowa is the only team to have an All American at 197 for each of the past 4 years. It may be many years before we have another career 197 pounder that ends up with cumulative NCAA Championship results as good as Warner's.

We can question a lot of things, however, don’t question the hard work and heart of our wrestlers and coaches. All of this negativity questions that. Who else do you want to root for?
Nobody here is questioning hard work and heart. We’re questioning development and strategy. The days of out working your opponents and having more heart are over.

Massive failure?? C'mon Mitch, you're too good for this comment -- I assume you're just upset that Iowa lost the last two semis. Warner and Cassioppi have had A LOT of success wrestling in the black and gold -- true, no NCAA titles, but if that's how you define success/failure, you're wayyyy off target.
I will give you an example of why I simply cannot understand what goes on inside Warner's head...the dual against Minny and Warner leads by 1 with 5 seconds to go and loses.

There is simply no excuse or explanation for that. And I will not believe he physically isn't as talented as Max Dean.
These brain farts aren't new. Too many, way too many, matches decided by one move ...or lack of a move.
I'm now officially in the "bring in the Ferrari clan" camp.

End of rant.

Last edited:
They just simply have better wrestlers
Sitting here in Ann Arbor after watching this evening made me think… how would Spencer of done under Carl? I do believe he makes great changes, maybe the best coach at teaching how to revenge a loss. This works for some, but this doesn’t work for all wrestlers. I don’t see Spencer wanting to wrestle against someone else’s style. I think TNT helped developed him more than Carl would have for this reason.
Praying the UFC gives the team unlimited funds.

Reactions: Chalkdaddy94
When Cass lost weight and decided he was a finesse wrestler. He is not going to out wrestle Kerk shooting outside take downs. If he keeps the same game plan he has been employing he will keep losing similar matches. He needs to be in shape enough to really push pace and try to have a street fight. Dust off the upper body stuff while he's at it.
cassioppi’s weight loss was the biggest mistake of his career. he will never be as athletic as these guys. when he was big he could compensate with his size advantage. now he has nothing.

he may never catch kerk or parris, but bulking back up would at least make him less susceptible to other upsets like last year. fat tony doesn’t lose to jordan wood

Great show from 'behind the scenes' about Hawk wrestling program on BTN after the tourney today. Love the Hawks, just gotta keep clawing away in the recruiting battle.
I have more respect fo the Brands Bros after watching that for how they dealt with Desanto.

Reactions: Idahopennstatefan
Sitting here in Ann Arbor after watching this evening made me think… how would Spencer of done under Carl? I do believe he makes great changes, maybe the best coach at teaching how to revenge a loss. This works for some, but this doesn’t work for all wrestlers. I don’t see Spencer wanting to wrestle against someone else’s style. I think TNT helped developed him more than Carl would have for this reason.
If Spencer would have gone to PSU, Cael would have had a better wrestler at 125. I rest my case.

Reactions: therod
cassioppi’s weight loss was the biggest mistake of his career. he will never be as athletic as these guys. when he was big he could compensate with his size advantage. now he has nothing.

he may never catch kerk or parris, but bulking back up would at least make him less susceptible to other upsets like last year. fat tony doesn’t lose to jordan wood
“when he was big he could compensate with his size (read WEIGHT) advantage. now he has nothing.”

Well, this is the sport of wrestling, not eating.

Reactions: Idahopennstatefan
absolutely dying at bono screaming “you can’t slam someone with a double leg” at the officials.

giphy.gif

Taylor, Ruth, Nola, Zain, ,Brooks all had their own style. Similarity is scoring and winning. It’s what Lee does at Iowa and what he would have done at PSU. Lees style is pedigree and winning.

edit…Nolf

Last edited:
Reactions: depelland

You can't argue with the way Tony looks physically; it's very impressive...the transition he made. Very impressive. However, I don't think the transition resulted in him being a better 285 pounder. I liked watching the old version use his weight and skills to dominate all but the top couple opponents. That said, I'm sure that if I'm Tony I like this version of me more than the other. The guy looks like a mini-hulk.

Wow, who pissed in your cheerios? And yeah, the point is you should be competitive with your wrestling ability, not by being heavier than your opponent.
Tell that to Chris Taylor (who apart from his huge weight was very athletic), or Tab Thacker (also an all-around athlete), or Jimmy Jackson, among others. The REALLY large heavyweights of the past definitely had outstanding wrestling skills, but of course they used their weight to great advantage.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
Taylor, Ruth, Nola, Zain, ,Brooks all had their own style. Similarity is scoring and winning. It’s what Lee does at Iowa and what he would have done at PSU. Lees style is pedigree and winning.
I had typed a response, to ask you who Nola is, but before I hit "Post reply" I realized you had failed to read what you had typed before posting. A good practice to follow before hitting post/send -- many times I've spotted embarassing typos, and also changed things that I would have regretted posting.

• Haha
Reactions: BGon4ND
I think he probably wins multiple titles anywhere he goes, but for his weight and mindset, I can't see anyone better for his development than TnT. Penn State also has a weird black hole at 25 except for Megaludis. Upper weights probably a different story.

Great question. Amazing run with health is one. They never seem to be dinged up.
Tell that to Cassar, Berge, Shak, Kerk, Nolf, Suriano, Howard, Starroci and RBY. A few (not) all of the guys who missed Bigs//Nationals Tournament time due to injury or wrestled through 'significant' injury and won anyway. I believe both Starroci and RBY had broken hands last year. The bottom line is it isn't always widely known or advertised, but all teams come March have to manage injury.

I had typed a response, to ask you who Nola is, but before I hit "Post reply" I realized you had failed to read what you had typed before posting. A good practice to follow before hitting post/send -- many times I've spotted embarassing typos, and also changed things that I would have regretted posting.
thanks

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT