ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Big 10 Tournament Session II Thread

jmadden1998

HR All-American
Jan 26, 2017
The consi’s and wrestle backs are only available on BTN+ at 4:30pm central time

Iowa matches

133 Teske vs LaMont
157 Siebrecht vs North (pinned Brayton Lee)
174 Brands vs Maylor
184 Assad vs Bates

Penn St matches

125 Steen vs Medley
149 Van Ness vs Reynolds (Purdue)
165 Facundo vs South (Indiana)

6:30pm Semis on BTN

Iowa matches

125 Lee vs McKee
141 Woods vs Tal Shahar
149 Murin vs Sasso
165 Kennedy vs Amine
197 Warner vs Dean
285 Cass vs Kerkvliet

Penn St matches

133 RBY vs Ragusin
141 Bartlett vs Hardy
157 Haines vs Coleman
174 Starocci vs O’Reilly
184 Brooks vs Finesilver
197 see above
285 see above

Team scores after session 1

Team Scores
Iowa​
63.5​
Penn State​
63.5​
Minnesota​
52.0​
Ohio State​
45.5​
Nebraska​
45.0​
Michigan​
43.0​
Northwestern​
25.0​
Wisconsin​
23.0​
Indiana​
18.0​
Michigan State​
16.5​
Illinois​
15.5​
Purdue​
15.5​
Maryland​
6.5​
Rutgers​
4.0​

The consi’s and wrestle backs are only available on BTN+ at 4:30pm central time

Iowa matches

133 Teske vs LaMont
157 Siebrecht vs North (pinned Brayton Lee)
174 Brands vs Maylor
184 Assad vs Bates

Penn St matches

125 Steen vs Medley
149 Van Ness vs Reynolds (Purdue)
165 Facundo vs South (Indiana)

6:30pm Semis on BTN

Iowa matches

125 Lee vs McKee
141 Woods vs Tal Shahar
149 Murin vs Sasso
165 Kennedy vs Amine
197 Warner vs Dean
285 Cass vs Kerkvliet

Penn St matches

133 RBY vs Ragusin
141 Bartlett vs Hardy
157 Haines vs Coleman
174 Starocci vs O’Reilly
184 Brooks vs Finesilver
197 see above
285 see above

Team scores after session 1

Team Scores
Iowa​
63.5​
Penn State​
63.5​
Minnesota​
52.0​
Ohio State​
45.5​
Nebraska​
45.0​
Michigan​
43.0​
Northwestern​
25.0​
Wisconsin​
23.0​
Indiana​
18.0​
Michigan State​
16.5​
Illinois​
15.5​
Purdue​
15.5​
Maryland​
6.5​
Rutgers​
4.0​
Thanks @jmadden1998. Penn st is vulnerable here. Hardy and Coleman can absolutely beat Bartlett and Haines. In fact, I think that happens.

For Iowa Murin, Pk, Warner, and Cass all have huge swing matches. All tough matches. Iowa favored in none of them, but the margins are very slim.

Thanks @jmadden1998. Penn st is vulnerable here. Hardy and Coleman can absolutely beat Bartlett and Haines. In fact, I think that happens.

For Iowa Murin, Pk, Warner, and Cass all have huge swing matches. All tough matches. Iowa favored in none of them, but the margins are very slim.
Disagree with PSU being vulnerable. Even if they go 5-2 tonight they will take a commanding lead (unless the 2 are 97 and HW).

Agree on Beau, but never underestimate PSU in big matches. I love Haines over 1-trick pony Coleman.

The 3 hour PSU love fest begins tonight at 133...

Psu 6-1 in semis
Iowa 3-3

So I saw that Iowa and PSU were tied going into heavyweight. Cass got a pin and Kerk got a major. Why are they both still tied? It was my understanding that you got more bonus points for pin then major. Help me understand.

So I saw that Iowa and PSU were tied going into heavyweight. Cass got a pin and Kerk got a major. Why are they both still tied? It was my understanding that you got more bonus points for pin then major. Help me understand.
Kerk had a bye first round, so his second round win he got 2 advancement points instead of just 1. Cass had already gotten an advancement point for his first round win and so only got one more for his QF win

Advancement point for Kerk into the semis bc he got a bye round 1.

Just carrying this over from previous thread because forget Penn state.

Whether it’s this year or next PSu is finally human. Endlesss string of Taylor’s and nolf were luck. They have all the top recruits and more sitting the bench. Even flo noted that some air has come out of that balloon. They had a great initial class with a combo of Cael and previous recruits and struck gold on the follow up class. Of course they are legit number ones and could win nationals this year. But the bonus point train is ending. Blood in the water. Shark infested waters…

All wrestlers in the semifinals are qualified for NCAAs.

All wrestlers in consolations clinch a trip to NCAAs with a win in their next match except at 174.

At 174, a wrestler in the consolations right now still needs two more wins. A win followed by a loss puts the wrestler in the 7th place match, where they’d have to win to take the 7th and final automatic qualifying slot.

Only at 125 and 174 does a loss in the next consolation match eliminate automatic qualification for NCAAs.

Last edited:
All wrestlers in consolations clinch a trip to NCAAs with a win in their next match.
Not at 174, where there are only 7 AQs. Those in the Round of 12 will need to win at least 2 matches to qualify

I didn’t see Amine’s match…how healthy did he look?

If he’s not well, I’m guessing it’s pretty likely he doesn’t wrestle Kennedy this round.

Not at 174, where there are only 7 AQs. Those in the Round of 12 will need to win at least 2 matches to qualify
You’re right. A win then a loss puts one in the 7th place match, where a win is still needed. I’ll fix. Thank you.

Reactions: carrierhawk

Whether it’s this year or next PSu is finally human. Endlesss string of Taylor’s and nolf were luck. They have all the top recruits and more sitting the bench. Even flo noted that some air has come out of that balloon. They had a great initial class with a combo of Cael and previous recruits and struck gold on the follow up class. Of course they are legit number ones and could win nationals this year. But the bonus point train is ending. Blood in the water. Shark infested waters…
This is sure to age well

Reactions: pointingdogsrule

We’ve heard this before. Sadly.

Cass finished first. Scores hadn’t updated

Well, it’s a “down” year and they are going to be untouchable at Nationals. Meanwhile our only National champion since 2017 is gone after this year. So forgive me if I don’t see any light at the end of this tunnel.

Ironside is happy with session 1
Feels like Iowa wrestled the best of anyone today.
Steen still in the match down 2-5
Ironside made a point that they'd only send 9 if Steen loses.
But I think PSU can send 7 and still be favorites.
Steen could wrestle back for 9th. So nevermind on that other stuff.

Reactions: meatloaf55
Medley TD on the edge with 9 s
Medley wins 7-2
Teske up

Big 10 only has 8 allocations at 125 now since Heinselman couldn’t go. No 9th place bracket. Steen is done

Spencer Lee has McKee tongiht
"McKee will tough on no hour weigh in."
Teske vs LaMont
LaM almost snapped us to his leg
BT misses on a leg. "too far out for that shot"
These two wrestled in the finals of the B12 a few years ago.
2m
0-0
Teske has got a couple of half shots.
LaM doing some wrestling from his kneees
Lam has tough ADS tri grab
BT misses on a leg
under 1 min.

Brayton Lee may have a broken colar bone
Ankle pick-Teske on a leg and LaM backs off.
SW on Lam
20s
end of 1
0-0

Big 10 only has 8 allocations at 125 now since Heinselman couldn’t go. No 9th place bracket. Steen is done
They usually still do a mini-tournament if there are 8 allocations to determine 9th place, since part of the at-large criteria is placing one away from AQ

At least, they've done this in the past. Not sure if something has changed recently in those regards

Bono apparently now happy about SW.
Intersting
2nd period
Tesk down
up and out in 7 seconds
Ref time for ?!?
talking to table- RT
nothing
Swiping at each others heads.
Stop for BT
Brody above the eye.
They were swiping at each other.
1:27 in second.

Great to see You Valholl!
Robotics tied up more of my day.
Then I had to hurry and do the rest of my stuff.
Mrs. V is expecting dinner, so this will be conso and then?
I'm not sure we're wearing gloves - oh on one hand.
Gable wrap
Mrs. V is hungry so I'm not making it too long.
LaM has a leg
BT out but SW for backing out
1m

LaM more agressive now
Grace and I don't understand that SW
15s
"Make up SW call"
BT looking to snap and duck
end of 2
1-0

RT was -7s
BT rode tough
looking for a tilt
LaM down
Feet.
Tough ride and out
But BT back in and stoppage for BT
"We were in a beautiful shot"
I agree.
1:38
RT is 14s
1-1

Reshot-Brody misses on a leg and LaM saunters in away.
Brody is behind and tackles hims from behind, tying both ankles.
TD for BT!
1 m
left
"Great wrestling for Brody"
34s
RT is 49s

Reactions: WildTurk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT