ADVERTISEMENT

2023 World Championships coming up!

After Review. Dake is down 7-8 28 secs left

Dake in on a shot.. time running out.. no change. Review.. Sidakov wins

Dake's challenge was won, which resulted in Sidakov getting 2 more points, so he won 10-7 instead of 8-7

We might have been shocked at how Taz handled Snyderlaev but Sadulaev knew...Never seen Sadulaev look like a Oklahoma State guy working the edge of the mat before.
You could see Sadulaev's neck/shoulder was bothering him on the way out to the mat. Not sure if he came into the tournament with an issue, but it was definitely a problem for him prior to the Taz match.

Reactions: sstark46
You could see Sadulaev's neck/shoulder was bothering him on the way out to the mat. Not sure if he came into the tournament with an issue, but it was definitely a problem for him prior to the Taz match.

For sure...didn't have that same power even in the previous rounds.

Reactions: T8KUDWN
I know many find Freestyle more "entertaining" than Folkstyle, but that whole sequence is why I just can't endorse it. To me, "Control" is everything. In the end, it was 2 takedowns to 1, so I think the right guy won, but the fact that you had to have a review to score 5 different scoring sequences in 1 exchange, just makes it hard for me to go all in on it...

Great match, I was certainly entertained. Had to immediately re-watch it. Hope to see them square off again in Paris.

H/t to Sidakov for his ability to convert while Dake had a chestwrap.

Any technicians out there that can explain what Sidakov did differently in that position than the multitudes before that typically end in stalemates(or Dake points)?

Great match, I was certainly entertained. Had to immediately re-watch it. Hope to see them square off again in Paris.

Any technicians out there that can explain what Sidakov did differently in that position than the multitudes before that typically end in stalemates(or Dake points)?
1.) Patience, patience, patience
2.) Hips and weight as far back and DOWN as possible.
3.) Very slow and deliberate transitioning from the legs, to the hips, to the back.
4.) MOST IMPORTANTLY, letting Dake press the position while making those very slow, deliberate transitions. This slowly made Dake put himself closer and closer to exposure trying to force the position.

Another big thing is he kept Dake "seated" on his butt for most of the exchanges with 1 leg and ankle extended and lifted. In the first exchange it gave Dake zero leverage to work with. Even the 2nd exchange he basically did the same thing with the leg and ankle.

After watching it again a couple more times, another big thing to add is how he Sidakov kept most of his lock near the ankle while trying to keep his body plastered to that leg with his hips as far back as possible in the 1st exchange. As a result, Dake never came remotely close to scoring in that exchange. In the 2nd exchange he allowed for much more separation and Dake was able to create more leverage, but Sidakov still had considerably more "control" and was able to counter each exchange with his own exposures and eventually the hold forced Dake to bail, ending with Sidakov on top.

Last edited:
Dake is losing his old man strength. Not like he is getting any older you know;.
I don't know. Guys are REALLY good at scouting at that level and taking away what an opponent does best. It seemed like all his opponents were very well versed on how to avoid and defend against those positions.

That is the drawback of your best moves being counters from very defensive positions. You have to rely on your opponents to initiate positions and fall for the "trap".

Dake was out wrestled for the most part Sidakov’s hand fighting is brutal and he deserved the win.

Heck a run for Micic although I believe he got a homer call at the end. I wonder how much time he trains in Serbia vs the US, same question for Seabass?

There is a new #1 at 97kg and that kid is just getting started. He has got some serious leverage and strength going on!

Reactions: T8KUDWN and 12tdsaw
Assuming Snyder qualifies 97kg tomorrow, USA is Olympic qualified for every weight except 57 and 65?
Correct.

DT qualified 86, Parris qualified 125, and Dake qualified 74. Snyder can qualify 97 tomorrow by winning bronze or the "true 5th" match.

57 and 65 are not qualified yet and will need to be done so later

Reactions: el dub
At the historically deepest weight in the world!

Anybody else think Spencer should consider the transfer route and wrestle for France? The reduced wear and tear on his body from not having to go through the qualifying process would really benefit him. He could truly wrestle on his own schedule and terms.
Honestly not a bad idea at all.

Pan-Ams is the 2nd opportunity to qualify the weights. Top 2 placers get a quota for the Olympics.

Basch outlines the process on how the US will determine who they send to try and qualify the remaining weights.

Fix, Gilman, and Vito could all challenge for Zane's spot at 57kgs

Yianni and Zain Retherford could challenge Nick Lee for 65kgs

If multiple people challenge, they would wrestle each other in single elimination to determine who faces Zane/Lee in a best-of-3.

Not sure how they draw the bracket if all 3 challenge at 57kgs.

My takeaways:
1. Sadulaev’s not the same guy and seems there a few plausible reasons. He hasn’t forgotten how to be good
2. Like Gilman- Dake and Snyder regressing in the NLWC room. You can’t tell me these multi-world medalists are jumping levels in the room and then look the other way then they regress. TIC comment so the trolls can relax.

My takeaways:
1. Sadulaev’s not the same guy and seems there a few plausible reasons. He hasn’t forgotten how to be good
2. Like Gilman- Dake and Snyder regressing in the NLWC room. You can’t tell me these multi-world medalists are jumping levels in the room and then look the other way then they regress. TIC comment so the trolls can relax.
You are going to have a whole thread made about you now for the NLWC comment lol. They love to drag stuff like that back to BWI/HVI. They will ignore the TIC part 😆

He did a great job he was reaching thru and back hooking Dakes heel which kept Dake from digging in. Get that foot off the mat as you slowly sag your body back and and circle away all while hooking and lifting that heel

???
Sidakov outwrestled Dake and deserved to win
So true my friend. I watched it twice and both times it was the same...tough match and sadly it didn't go our way. For Sidakov to have that kind of record against Dake and Burroughs..that's impressive. He is just a bad bad man.

My takeaways:
Dake regressing because he got beat by Sidakov in a match that went down to the last seconds? The same Sidakov who beat Burroughs twice as well? And Snyder regressing because he got beat by the guy who also took out Sadulaev rather handily? Maybe Tazhudinov will become the greatest 97kg wrestler ever? Who knows. Anyhow, I'm not sure which part of your 2nd takeaway was meant to be TIC, but I'm hoping it was the whole thing. The American kids who wrestle out of the NLWC performed magnificently: 2 golds, a silver and a chance for a bronze after 3 days. What a f'ing accomplishment!! FWIW, I would be elated beyond words if the HWC could produce the same outcome on the men's side in the next decade as the NLWC has in the past 3 days. And that's why I donate monthly to the HWC...in hopes of making that a reality someday. I do not like PSU and despise ever time they win at NCAAs, but I appreciate the amazing effort they put into producing NCAA champions and World Champions. I'm excited about Iowa and the HWC getting back to where we're producing champs like that!

Dake hasn't regressed. He got beat by a guy who's well on his way to being an all-timer. Sidakov is 4/4 in world championship/olympic appearances. 3/4 of those titles included beating multiple time world champions. His first one, he beat two of those back to back.

Sidakov was the favorite and backed it up.

Women's update:

Hildebrandt, Kilty and Maroulis are in the semis(1 hr out). Gray lost 1-4 in qf, but should get pulled back into repechage.

Winchester is wrestling for gold and Page for bronze(11am Cen).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT