ADVERTISEMENT

2023 World Championships coming up!

New, world class facilities will be awesome and are great for the sport (as is Iowa creating the first Big 5 women’s team). But it will have little to no impact on recruiting and development. I don’t see much changing wrt overtaking F*n State under current leadership.
I agree. Btw, whose leadership? Iowa or PSU?

• Haha
Reactions: snotknockerhawk
New, world class facilities will be awesome and are great for the sport (as is Iowa creating the first Big 5 women’s team). But it will have little to no impact on recruiting and development. I don’t see much changing wrt overtaking F*n State under current leadership.
I concur to a degree. I don't know that we can find a better head coach and would never suggest getting a new head coach unless/until Tom decides to clean out his office for Spencer. But as I've mentioned in the past, I would certainly like to get some non-Hawks brought in as the supporting cast. Sure we can keep one or two really elite Hawks (i.e., Spencer), but we need diversity. A more diverse supporting cast would bring about new ideas, new philosophies, different developmental techniques, effective conditioning drills and fitness methods focused on keeping our guys healthy, better offensive tactics for wrestlers weighing over 133 pounds, etc., etc. And of course recruiting has to improve as you and others have mentioned. Schools not named PSU are beating us in that department far too often.

I wish I could come up with something to discredit the NLWC. I just can't. What they are doing over there is leading the way for all the other clubs to aspire to right now.

Some big names need to roll into Iowa City and the HWC. To be frank, It's been a crap show overall as of late. The new facilities and backing$ will certainly help but there is something else needed.. I will still continue to donate to our club in the future, I just want to see some results!
Yeah, they are spending a crap load of money at the nlwc

100%. I'm still not confident the leadership at Iowa actually understand why they're getting their ass kicked. Yes, it's recruiting, but they're missing the reason why PSU recruits so well. It's not because they have great facilities. It's because PSU has proven over the last 15ish years that they are the best place to go to accomplish your goals.

1) Win an NCAA title. They're lapping the field.

2) Success at the senior level. This includes winning world medals AND living comfortably due to the incredible funding.

Now, not every guy ends up staying at NLWC after graduation. There are only so many spots at the inn. But as an elite high school recruit, they ALL think that they're going to be the guy NLWC does everything to keep.

All that money they raised for a new facility would have been much better spent on throwing absurd sums at elite senior level athletes. The only catch with that is you can't put Bob Nicolls name on J'Den Cox.

100%. I'm still not confident the leadership at Iowa actually understand why they're getting their ass kicked. Yes, it's recruiting, but they're missing the reason why PSU recruits so well. It's not because they have great facilities. It's because PSU has proven over the last 15ish years that they are the best place to go to accomplish your goals.

2) Success at the senior level. This includes winning world medals AND living comfortably due to the incredible funding.

Now, not every guy ends up staying at NLWC after graduation. There are only so many spots at the inn. But as an elite high school recruit, they ALL think that they're going to be the guy NLWC does everything to keep.

All that money they raised for a new facility would have been much better spent on throwing absurd sums at elite senior level athletes. The only catch with that is you can't put Bob Nicolls name on J'Den Cox.
Although I agree to some extent with some of your comments. Aren't you pointing out something that is currently happening? They are now raising money to get everything fully endowed so that the Hawks can "throw absurd sums at elite senior level athletes" or did I misunderstand?

Reactions: praguehawk
Snyder, Dake and Gilman have not made a jump or shown improvement since joining the nlwc.
They've all won World gold at NLWC. Yes, Snyder and Dake had already done that but Gilman had not. Snyder is never beating Sadulaev again, which is unfortunate because he is a Sadulaev away from being the GOAT for USA Wrestling. Dake seems to have conditioning issues. Also, why do several of these athletes think a chest wrap FROM YOUR BUTT is a good move?

Reactions: MilleGinja
Although I agree to some extent with some of your comments. Aren't you pointing out something that is currently happening? They are now raising money to get everything fully endowed so that the Hawks can "throw absurd sums at elite senior level athletes" or did I misunderstand?
They are indeed getting more backing needed now. And the facilities do matter imo. It will help a lot with recruiting/retention. Like I said before Iowa needs a couple of big wrestling names to arrive in town soon, then things will start rolling again. More people will donate $$ for one

Last edited:
They've all won World gold at NLWC. Yes, Snyder and Dake had already done that but Gilman had not. Snyder is never beating Sadulaev again, which is unfortunate because he is a Sadulaev away from being the GOAT for USA Wrestling. Dake seems to have conditioning issues. Also, why do several of these athletes think a chest wrap FROM YOUR BUTT is a good move?
Snyder likely would've beat Sadulaev a couple days ago. There is 0 shame in Losing to Sidakov 10-7 in the world finals. Dake didn't look that out of shape to me. Chest wrapping from your butt is very common in freestyle and has worked a lot in the past from Kyle Dake and his impressive strength. I will agree he tried it a little too much this tournament. Dake is 32 now aswell. Not making excuses for him, just noting father time doesn't stop

This is bizarre. Dake didn't look tired at all. And it is a good move for Kyle Dake. He hits it for points on everybody not named Sidakov. He didn't go to his butt by choice. Sidakov defended the chest lock and put him there.

Snyder likely would've beat Sadulaev a couple days ago. There is 0 shame in Losing to Sidakov 10-7 in the world finals. Dake didn't look that out of shape to me.
I thought his conditioning looked just fine. Sidakov won the key exchange in the mat. It was a great shot and a better finish. It's not that complicated. The dude is more accomplished than Dake and showed why in this match.

Snyder likely would've beat Sadulaev a couple days ago. There is 0 shame in Losing to Sidakov 10-7 in the world finals. Dake didn't look that out of shape to me. Chest wrapping from your butt is very common in freestyle and has worked a lot in the past from Kyle Dake and his impressive strength. I will agree he tried it a little too much this tournament. Dake is 32 now aswell. Not making excuses for him, just noting father time doesn't stop
10-7 was very generous scoring for Dake. I know it's only 2 points but I believe the score should have been 10-5 Sidakov.

This is bizarre. Dake didn't look tired at all. And it is a good move for Kyle Dake. He hits it for points on everybody not named Sidakov. He didn't go to his butt by choice. Sidakov defended the chest lock and put him there.
I don't remember Dake scoring off a chest wrap at the World Championships this year.

Reactions: GlenHawk
Ok then lol. 10-5 it is
Rewatch the match and score it yourself and tell me I'm wrong. 10-5 is a fairly one-sided victory.
The thing that frustrates me with Dake is that he is one of the most dynamic wrestlers in the world. The score very easily could have been reversed in Dake's favor, but he chooses not to take advantage of his ability. Sometimes I think he is too smart for his own good.

Rewatch the match and score it yourself and tell me I'm wrong. 10-5 is a fairly one-sided victory.
The thing that frustrates me with Dake is that he is one of the most dynamic wrestlers in the world. The score very easily could have been reversed in Dake's favor, but he chooses not to take advantage of his ability. Sometimes I think he is too smart for his own good.
I think 10-5 was the correct score, but 2 of that was Dake going for broke as time expired, and 4 came off one scramble. It was a 2-1 takedown margin and Dake was winning with under a minute to go and there were 4 lead changes. That is not one-sided.

Have you ever watched Kyle Dake before this weekend?
Yep, lots.
He's scored from a chest wrap many times, most coming against US competitors, but rarely from sitting on his butt.
That's why I said earlier just because it works against Nolf does not mean it's going to work against Sidakov.

I think 10-5 was the correct score, but 2 of that was Dake going for broke as time expired, and 4 came off one scramble. It was a 2-1 takedown margin and Dake was winning with under a minute to go and there were 4 lead changes. That is not one-sided.
I guess we agree to disagree
Fair enough

Edit - I do agree with you that conditioning was not a negative factor. I thought Dake's conditioning looked good.

Yep, lots.
He's scored from a chest wrap many times, most coming against US competitors, but rarely from sitting on his butt.
That's why I said earlier just because it works against Nolf does not mean it's going to work against Sidakov.
He didn't want to be sitting on his butt. Sometimes moves don't work. Doesn't mean it was a bad move.

He didn't want to be sitting on his butt. Sometimes moves don't work. Doesn't mean it was a bad move.
Obviously, this is just my opinion but attempting that move against Sidakov is a bad choice. Dake turned down in an earlier sequence. It would have still been hard to score on Sidakov with a lead late in the match, but he would have given himself more time for a scoring opportunity if he didn't go through that sequence. Kyle's biggest weakness is how he reacts to hard hand fighting. He doesn't like it, doesn't react well to it and leaves himself open for guys to get to his legs.

You donate to the nlwc??
Yes. I graduated from Penn State in 1985. Born and raised in Western, PA. Now live in MD. Never hid this on this board.

I like wrestling and was well aware of Iowa during Gable's hey day. Distinctly remember watching a public television broadcast of an Iowa vs Penn State dual on a 9" B/W TV in my bedroom.

Since wrestling is a niche sport one has to find places to get informed, including the cesspool. I try not to troll here. Definitely never say a bad word to true rooters (vs near full-time critics). That's one reason I am a big @Grip220 fan.

Obviously, this is just my opinion but attempting that move against Sidakov is a bad choice. Dake turned down in an earlier sequence. It would have still been hard to score on Sidakov with a lead late in the match, but he would have given himself more time for a scoring opportunity if he didn't go through that sequence. Kyle's biggest weakness is how he reacts to hard hand fighting. He doesn't like it, doesn't react well to it and leaves himself open for guys to get to his legs.
Dake always looks like he is out of shape and gasping for air. He wrestles very defensively typically and loves attempting the Dake bombs. He was bombing people all over the place at 79kg and I would guess that the pull down to 74kg is pretty tough for him, causing him to lack some of that power he has at 79kg. We would all love to see Dake open up and get to his shot more often but that's just not his style - and far be it from us to question it because its clearly worked pretty well for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: T8KUDWN
Yes. I graduated from Penn State in 1985. Born and raised in Western, PA. Now live in MD. Never hid this on this board.

I like wrestling and was well aware of Iowa during Gable's hey day. Distinctly remember watching a public television broadcast of an Iowa vs Penn State dual on a 9" B/W TV in my bedroom.

Since wrestling is a niche sport one has to find places to get informed, including the cesspool. I try not to troll here. Definitely never say a bad word to true rooters (vs near full-time critics). That's one reason I am a big @Grip220 fan.
For some reason I did not realize you are a psu guy.
I agree you don't say bad things towards Iowa wrestling.
Maybe that's what caught me a little off guard lol.

It may be a reason why they will CONTINUE to recruit well, but it is NOT why. Sanderson recruited every bit as well at ISU and has from the VERY BEGINNING at PSU. The only difference in recruiting when he hit PSU was that he added having PA talent in his own back yard and could supplement the roster as he needed with such a lush garden at his disposal.

Everyone gets their panties in a wad when this is said, because they think everyone ignores all the other factors that make PSU great. But, that simply isn't true. PSU is the best for a ton of reasons, but that doesn't mean that Sanderson's ability to recruit from the moment he became a coach isn't the biggest separator amongst many other separators....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT