ADVERTISEMENT

2024/25 Wbb thread

Including 2020 as a "make", the Hawkeyes have made 15 out of the last 17 NCAA tourneys. Lisa's system works, particularly with the increased defensive emphasis. At least 3 solid starters, each of whom would start for probably any team in the conference. I forecast another tourney team and a finish in the upper third of the conference. There is a "breakout" season by someone in the mix (McCabe, Heiden?). Attendance will drop off but still average 10K. The key to success will be SA... and I can ride with that! Looking forward to next season even though it is just May! (I think I need to enlarge my life!)

The pairing of Olsen and McCabe could be ideal. If Olsen be get to the midrange and find McCabe spotting up for 3pt, it could really be fun. Especially if Affolter can continue to be a dangerous threat from 3 like she was after Molly's injury.

The challenge for the coaches is how to adjust the offense to best fit the skills of the new lineup. If Hannah can add being a "threat" from 3 and being a cutter/slasher from the outside, this team could in line for another year of hosting in the NCAA tourney.

Reactions: Torg and blackett73
The pairing of Olsen and McCabe could be ideal. If Olsen be get to the midrange and find McCabe spotting up for 3pt, it could really be fun. Especially if Affolter can continue to be a dangerous threat from 3 like she was after Molly's injury.

The challenge for the coaches is how to adjust the offense to best fit the skills of the new lineup. If Hannah can add being a "threat" from 3 and being a cutter/slasher from the outside, this team could in line for another year of hosting in the NCAA tourney.
If Hannah could develop her handle & be able to take 4's/5's off the dribble from the high post or wings, that would open up the offense even more for the perimeter players. I don’t see her shooting many 3's but she will need to develop that if she wants to play in the WNBA.

Initial starting lineup:
Olsen
McCabe
Affolter
Stuelke
O'Grady

Feuerbach/Mallegni/Heiden & Guyton get bench minutes (assuming no setbacks in her recovery)...maybe Stremlow impresses while Guyton is working her way back?
I agree on the likely starting line-up but would be interested in seeing a 3 guard line-up…

Olsen
McCabe
Feuerbach
Affolter
Stuelke

I dont doubt that ALL the incoming players might find some time on the court, and if any of them show good ability to create their own shot or drive to the hoop, I can see a scenario where they gain minutes over the vets as the year plays out. Of course it's not impossible for any of the players to improve this in their game, so wouldn't count anyone out.

Reactions: Torg
I’ve said it before as have others, but some of you are likely to be surprised when McCabe isn’t starting….

She maybe but she’ll have to improve in every capacity.

I’ve said it before as have others, but some of you are likely to be surprised when McCabe isn’t starting….

IF she doesn't i could see her gone really really fast and wouldn't blame her one bit

Reactions: HIWILLE
IF she doesn't i could see her gone really really fast and wouldn't blame her one bit

lol….of course you would. And I’ll be happy to see her go if that’s her attitude. Fans are so caught up in such isolated things.

I swear some of you watch different players and teams. If she is the best at everything that is needed to play her position, she’ll play, if not she won’t…..

She wasn’t last year, next year is a new chance

McCabe and Feuerbach both need to raise their level of play. TM's offensive potential is what separates the two for me. Hopefully she takes the next step but it certainly isn't a given.

McCabe is a pure shooter. Effective FG % of .656 last year. Middle of the team in Win Shares/40 and PER. Needs to improve her handle and defense.

Iowa will be a tourney team. Outside shot at hosting first round. Affolter and Stuelke will be studs. How will Olsen fit?

McCabe and Feuerbach both need to raise their level of play. TM's offensive potential is what separates the two for me. Hopefully she takes the next step but it certainly isn't a given.

So here’s the deal…..she’s a shooter, that’s her offensive potential. Shes not a great dribbler, passer, slasher or defender.

Feurbach is 6ft, very athletic, solid rebounder and defender and decent shooter. I have also seen her take it to the rack, though she also has plenty to work on, but she’s ahead of McCabe and 3 inches taller…

But again, whoever Lisa starts I’m good with. Thats where I’m different. I won’t spend all season pretending I know better who should be playing….

But we have fans who will…I wish they’d follow a different team.

I would like to think one of the best class of recruits for Lisa coming in this summer will have an impact. Four top hundred recruits with many 4 star ranking. No 5 stars but some 3 or 4 stars that had immediate impact as key bench and some that started in the past. Meyer, Logic, Megan. Disterhoff, McKenna, Printy, Marshall, Coley, and Stuelke. I am sure I missed some. I am hoping the two bigger gals play

Reactions: skydog0784
If Hannah could develop her handle & be able to take 4's/5's off the dribble from the high post or wings, that would open up the offense even more for the perimeter players. I don’t see her shooting many 3's but she will need to develop that if she wants to play in the WNBA.
Improving her FT shooting would be more important than the 3-pt. shot!

Feurbach is 6ft, very athletic, solid rebounder and defender and decent shooter. I have also seen her take it to the rack, though she also has plenty to work on, but she’s ahead of McCabe and 3 inches taller…

Feuerbach is a poor shooter and a turnover machine. Her WS/40 and PER were among the worst on the team. She is tall and rangy. Will be solid contributor off the bench as a senior.

Feuerbach is a poor shooter and a turnover machine. Her WS/40 and PER were among the worst on the team. She is tall and rangy. Will be solid contributor off the bench as a senior.
She might be the worst ball handling guard I've seen as a 4* out of high school. I literally cringe when she starts dribbling because it's only a matter of time before she turns it over.

She might be the worst ball handling guard I've seen as a 4* out of high school. I literally cringe when she starts dribbling because it's only a matter of time before she turns it over.
She's not that bad of a ball-handler, though it's certainly not her strength either (her strengths are clearly her length, speed, and height -- great for defense). Bluder wouldn't have given her all the minutes she has since day 1 if she couldn't at least bring the ball down the court (she is definitely a better handler than Warnock, for example). Ball-handling is one of the most important things Bluder takes into account when allocating minutes.

Her problems, IMO, are that she needs to learn how to slow down, she needs to work on her passing, and she needs to make better decisions. And of course she needs to work on her shooting lol. She is a streaky shooter but she is a shooter. She has shown up when needed with big buckets in AAU and as a Hawk (pre-ACL injury). A lot of that should come with regular reps and more minutes.

It may not though -- the moment may be too big for her. I'm hopeful that the reset we'll see next year with so many guards leaving will relieve some of the pressure that she likely feels when she is subbed in (esp from CC, who always had lofty expectations).

I think her time at ISU was really bad for her -- she was thrown into the starting lineup as a freshman, when she probably shouldn't have been, and got reamed by CBF over and over again for doing freshman things. Cyclone fans even noticed this and would express concern for her on their message board. One fan said that what they'd miss most about her was her "fearlessness" but when she came to Iowa she looked scared basically her entire first season.

Despite that, Bluder has always trusted her and given her not only minutes but the green light since basically her first day as a hawk, so either she does better in practice than in games, or Bluder believes in her upside. We have to remember that an ACL tear can really set you back and mess with your mental game too.

I think Feuerbach will start at the 2 to kick off the season, but McCabe will be competing fiercely for it. Reducing turnovers and getting her shooting over 30% would go a long way in helping Feuerbach stay there. As a 2 she won't be expected to drive to the basket as much as when she played the 3, and that should help with the TOs.

Bluder really prioritizes defense for the SG position and Feuerbach clearly is the superior defender to McCabe. Look at Gabbie -- her two biggest duties were 1) to catch and shoot 2) play great defense. That's really it. Fortunately catching and shooting is one of the easiest things to improve for a Guard. If Feuerbach can get her shooting closer to 33%, I think the spot is hers for the year, and I wouldn't be shocked to see Bluder invite her back for a COVID year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seemed like it got a lot worse in the tournament, might have had something to do with the hard slick junk Wilson ball. She couldn't handle the ball really at all in the tourney.

Ball handling is a confidence thing, just like shooting. A turnover or two can freeze players up just like missing a few open shots will cause them to cease shooting. Gets even worse in big games. Kate would get twitchy too against tough pressure. I agree more minutes CAN help any aspect of one's game, but as a senior it's really time to step up or make room for the next player.

Reactions: anon_salmfilsntd0b
Initial starting lineup:
Olsen
McCabe
Affolter
Stuelke
O'Grady

Feuerbach/Mallegni/Heiden & Guyton get bench minutes (assuming no setbacks in her recovery)...maybe Stremlow impresses while Guyton is working her way back?
I heard one of the assistant coaches say something to the effect of Feuerbach could be a replacement for Gabby. Their game play is similar.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Improving her FT shooting would be more important than the 3-pt. shot!
She was shooting FTs at about an 80% clip late in the season and in the two tourneys. They said she was working hard on it and it showed.

Now she needs to work on the drive to the hoop, the dribble and pull up jumper and her catch and shoot from 10 ft to the arc.

Not sure what the nearly total year off for her knee rehab added to her looking a bit shaky as a ball handler. If she works on it a lot and really improves she could be very good. She is taller than Olsen. iirc

Reactions: cmhawks99 and Torg
If McCabe and Fuerbach are about even but bring a bit of a different type of game then the first 10-15 games of the season would be a good time to give them each 15-20 minutes and get a good amount of video and eyes on them by the coaching staff.

If McCabe is more of a scorer and you are behind she might get more minutes and the opposite is true.

Without Clark, unless the players on court can create their own shot, the team is going nowhere. If defenders shut down Olsen, you better have someone else that can make something happen with the ball, and given production lost, it better be at least two others.

I heard one of the assistant coaches say something to the effect of Feuerbach could be a replacement for Gabby. Their game play is similar.
“Could be” then maybe McCabe is the front runner till Feuerbach can prove her game. We need offense and that would be TM getting the nod with me. It was reported a while back that McCabes defense is not bad at all if giving the chance to play at longer stretches.

She's not that bad of a ball-handler, though it's certainly not her strength either (her strengths are clearly her length, speed, and height -- great for defense). Bluder wouldn't have given her all the minutes she has since day 1 if she couldn't at least bring the ball down the court (she is definitely a better handler than Warnock, for example). Ball-handling is one of the most important things Bluder takes into account when allocating minutes.

Her problems, IMO, are that she needs to learn how to slow down, she needs to work on her passing, and she needs to make better decisions. And of course she needs to work on her shooting lol. She is a streaky shooter but she is a shooter. She has shown up when needed with big buckets in AAU and as a Hawk (pre-ACL injury). A lot of that should come with regular reps and more minutes.

It may not though -- the moment may be too big for her. I'm hopeful that the reset we'll see next year with so many guards leaving will relieve some of the pressure that she likely feels when she is subbed in (esp from CC, who always had lofty expectations).

I think her time at ISU was really bad for her -- she was thrown into the starting lineup as a freshman, when she probably shouldn't have been, and got reamed by CBF over and over again for doing freshman things. Cyclone fans even noticed this and would express concern for her on their message board. One fan said that what they'd miss most about her was her "fearlessness" but when she came to Iowa she looked scared basically her entire first season.

Despite that, Bluder has always trusted her and given her not only minutes but the green light since basically her first day as a hawk, so either she does better in practice than in games, or Bluder believes in her upside. We have to remember that an ACL tear can really set you back and mess with your mental game too.

I think Feuerbach will start at the 2 to kick off the season, but McCabe will be competing fiercely for it. Reducing turnovers and getting her shooting over 30% would go a long way in helping Feuerbach stay there. As a 2 she won't be expected to drive to the basket as much as when she played the 3, and that should help with the TOs.

Bluder really prioritizes defense for the SG position and Feuerbach clearly is the superior defender to McCabe. Look at Gabbie -- her two biggest duties were 1) to catch and shoot 2) play great defense. That's really it. Fortunately catching and shooting is one of the easiest things to improve for a Guard. If Feuerbach can get her shooting closer to 33%, I think the spot is hers for the year, and I wouldn't be shocked to see Bluder invite her back for a COVID year.

Yeah some of these guys have an extreme hard on for McCabe. It’s hard to figure….

By years end it was pretty clear LB knew a lot more about her roster than these dolts..

Feurbach will be the starter unless someone takes the job from her and it could be a new girls, But right now Taylor has a lot to improve on.

😂

“Could be” then maybe McCabe is the front runner till Feuerbach can prove her game. We need offense and that would be TM getting the nod with me. It was reported a while back that McCabes defense is not bad at all if giving the chance to play at longer stretches.

As I said, some of you only see shooting. Her defense was not close to the level of Marshall (many of you told yourselves it was, but not close) nor is it as good as Feurbachs.

My biggest issue is she seems so disconnected outside of the catch and shoot. She doesn’t seem to know what she is supposed to do. And if that doesn’t improve, she certainly won’t start.

Yeah some of these guys have an extreme hard on for McCabe. It’s hard to figure….

By years end it was pretty clear LB knew a lot more about her roster than these dolts..

Feurbach will be the starter unless someone takes the job from her and it could be a new girls, But right now Taylor has a lot to improve on.

😂
Just because some have a different perspective that yours they're dolts huh...nice

Just because some have a different perspective that yours they're dolts huh...nice

Here’s what’s nice Coach goes to two straight championship games and 15% of her fans bitch constantly because she’s not playing a sophomore guard who they think should play more…..

Nice eh ?! Yes constantly wishing the coach played someone different is most assuredly not “nice” anything else Dean….?!

Didn’t think so…!

WTF….. why is this shit so hard for people to understand?

It’s not an opinion, it’s a coaches decision!

Hell I said it in my post, now that I look again….they are dolts because they literally think they know more than our coach….

THAT makes them dolts….. you know reading comprehension is a skill, one that apparently you don’t have

• Wow
Not sure what the nearly total year off for her knee rehab added to her looking a bit shaky as a ball handler. If she works on it a lot and really improves she could be very good. She is taller than Olsen. iirc
Feuerbach is 6’0 and Olsen is (generously) 5’9.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Feuerbach is 6’0 and Olsen is (generously) 5’9.

Yes, they need her height and athleticism. On a side note I’m literally shocked that people cant understand the coach plays kids for a number of different reasons. And some of them honestly believe their acumen for choosing playing time is on level with the coaches….it’s baffling

Last edited:
Here’s what’s nice Coach goes to two straight championship games and 15% of her fans bitch constantly because she’s not playing a sophomore guard who they think should play more…..

Nice eh ?! Yes constantly wishing the coach played someone different is most assuredly not “nice” anything else Dean….?!

Didn’t think so…!

Have people been questioning the coach in this thread? Maybe they have & I've missed it. I thought we were all merely discussing what we thought the projected lineup would be.

Have people been questioning the coach in this thread? Maybe they have & I've missed it. I thought we were all merely discussing what we thought the projected lineup would be.

Yes you missed it….I referenced it very early on. Furthermore based on Lisa’s lineup preferences last year, she isn’t nearly as enamored with the message board phenomenon that is Taylor McCabe as those fans.

So when projecting a lineup, it’s relative.

What was needed around Caitlin Clark is very different than what will be needed without her. I think the coaches have a tough job evaluating how that looks. Simply plugging in what you contributed last year won't do it. Who can make this play?

Didn’t think so…!

I guess I haven't noticed anyone really bitching about it. We are anxious to see McCabe get more minutes, we know she is an elite shooter.

You appear to be overreacting a tad bit

I guess I haven't noticed anyone really bitching about it. We are anxious to see McCabe get more minutes, we know she is an elite shooter.

You appear to be overreacting a tad bit

****, you guys wanted her to play all last year and complain about it after every damn game…. Looks like we’re going to get to endure that again this year

• Wow
Reactions: ddeanHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT