ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Recruiting. Orig Post Updated Oct 2nd. 36 Offers So Far (incl. Chris Tadjo & Cooper Koch). 2 Scholarships Available (NOT counting PMac & Tony)

Fran apparently hasn’t gotten the message that this is over. He’s at Compton’s game tonight.
You have to give Fran credit for not giving up. He must feel there is a glimmer of hope.

I think he sees Pharaoh playing an important role, long term, for the Hawks. Pharaoh would be playing in an elite P5 league, which would prepare him for the next level.

Ranked No. 80 overall in the senior class, Las Vegas (Nev.) Arbor View big man Pharaoh Compton is set to make his decision this weekend. With his high school team playing under the name of Toros Select, we thought insight into who he will be picking might be easy depending on who showed up to watch him play.

Sure enough, San Diego State head coach Brian Dutcher walked in flanked by a pair of assistants about 15 minutes before tipoff. Advantage Aztecs right? Not so fast. Shortly before tipoff Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery walked in with an assistant and sat down right behind the Arbor View bench as the plot thickened.

For his part, Compton did what he usually does and that’s play much larger than his 6-foot-6 size while throwing down several dunks and dishing out some physicality.

After the game, Compton confirmed to 247Sports that he’s down to those two programs and that he’ll be announcing this weekend. Behind the scenes, opinions are split pretty evenly over whether he’ll choose SDSU or the Hawkeyes and this one is coming down to the wire.

bill-murray-fingers-crossed.gif

Reactions: ObeseMuffins
He will not be a Hawkeye. Don't keep your hopes up. Sorry y'all.
Yea, I'm afraid you're very likely right. I think most of us expect him to select SDSU given what's been out there.

Compton must be elite if he's only 6-6 to 6-8 center-like skills and have the kind of offers he has. I hate to lose a 4 star elite where IA is likely going to come in at #2 but he really isn't a position of need at this point. We need guards - big time.

You've had some really good intel on this lobby. Please stop back occasionally when you have future good intel.

Yea, I'm afraid you're very likely right. I think most of us expect him to select SDSU given what's been out there.

Compton must be elite if he's only 6-6 to 6-8 center-like skills and have the kind of offers he has. I hate to lose a 4 star elite where IA is likely going to come in at #2 but he really isn't a position of need at this point. We need guards - big time.

You've had some really good intel on this lobby. Please stop back occasionally when you have future good intel.
I appreciate the kind words! Compton will be going public tomorrow. Good fight by Fran but too much going on for SDSU right now. I will say that the Iowa commitment video was very nice though.

Reactions: skydog0784
I appreciate the kind words! Compton will be going public tomorrow. Good fight by Fran but too much going on for SDSU right now. I will say that the Iowa commitment video was very nice though.
I would say that let's do this again with Xavion Staton, but boy has he blown up over the past week and a half. He was supposedly going to visit Iowa this fall, but I'm guessing that ship has sailed.

I came on here to give intel on what I heard. Now all of a sudden, when your "intel" isn't correct, im a troll lmao. I said nothing but good things about Pharaoh's visit to Iowa. I guess you skipped over all of that. Sour grapes.

I apologize. We should all be so grateful that you came to offer your recruiting expertise once your intel suggested the recruit would go to another school.

Lobby - to summarize the deciding factors (listed in about priority order) on SDSU over IA based on your intel if I remember your posts correctly…

SDSU: 1 - NIL, 2 - will play with current teammate, 3 - last year’s NCAA tournament run, 4 - proximity to home

won out over…

IA: 1 - success in getting players to the NBA, 2 - cool IA college experience & culture, 3 - connection with Fran, the staff, and players.

Is that about it?

Reactions: HawkHoops80
OK, now that Compton is going to SDSU, what does Fran do with the extra schollie?

Bank it for next year for a 2025 prospect, portal player or someone in the 2024 class?

For those that didnt believe me when I said Compton actually really loved Iowa and was close to committing, heres his actual commitment video. He didnt make one of these at any other school. https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/l6p1...45_n.mov?rlkey=qluzuzi4oc1sdq06ugpvrgwlw&dl=0
Iowa has been sending to all of their official visitors videos like that--Johnson-Arigu had the same one. So it's not a commitment video, it's just a visit video that is made and sent by Iowa.

Reactions: Max_Rebo
OK, now that Compton is going to SDSU, what does Fran do with the extra schollie?

Bank it for next year for a 2025 prospect, portal player or someone in the 2024 class?
I think they are going to look around a little bit more in '24. At least until signing day in a few weeks. I wouldn't be surprised if they decide not to offer anyone else though.

And I do think Fran is wanting to save a scholarship to try and recruit Perkins back for year 5. Not pursuing any guards is pretty telling of that IMO. So in my head, at least one spot is reserved for TP or a transfer guard if Tony decides he's done with college.

I think they are going to look around a little bit more in '24. At least until signing day in a few weeks. I wouldn't be surprised if they decide not to offer anyone else though.

And I do think Fran is wanting to save a scholarship to try and recruit Perkins back for year 5. Not pursuing any guards is pretty telling of that IMO. So in my head, at least one spot is reserved for TP or a transfer guard if Tony decides he's done with college.
Idk, kinda feel the opposite and they'll add one more. Probably a guard, but still recruit TP. Then go after the best portal need. Because someone always leaves.

Idk, kinda feel the opposite and they'll add one more. Probably a guard, but still recruit TP. Then go after the best portal need. Because someone always leaves.
We'll see. Why I'm hesitant that they offer anyone at this point is a lot of players like to commit before signing day which is 3 weeks from now. So a lot of guys have either committed or are in decision making mode following their fall visits.

And while they certainly don't have to do visits along-side a football weekend, I know the coaches generally like to do that. So they would need to be bringing in someone this weekend as this is the last home football game prior to the early signing period.

If they don't get anyone by that early signing period in 3 weeks, my guess is that they slow down the process and it probably won't be until late winter/spring until we hear of any other 2024 possibilities.

Lobby - to summarize the deciding factors (listed in about priority order) on SDSU over IA based on your intel if I remember your posts correctly…

SDSU: 1 - NIL, 2 - will play with current teammate, 3 - last year’s NCAA tournament run, 4 - proximity to home

won out over…

IA: 1 - success in getting players to the NBA, 2 - cool IA college experience & culture, 3 - connection with Fran, the staff, and players.

Is that about it?

pretty sure @lobbybuu said Iowa had a bigger bag to offer than SDSU? which surprised the hell out of me....LOL

btw, the SWARM beer drinking numbers appear to have peaked

From all accounts (see tweet below), if Fran had landed Pharaoh Compton, he would have been done with the Class of 2024.

I think Fran might now try to land one more high school kid; we'll see. If he does, and if no one leaves early next spring, that leaves us with one more scholarship to hand out for the 2024-2025 season (hopefully Tony Perkins will utilize it).

From October 1:

Unless a top guard is suddenly available, I think this is correct, although there might be another opening if someone (maybe Mulvey) decided to transfer out.

It’s going to be interesting to see what Darin DeVries does with the Iowa roster this spring.
He’ll have some talent to work with.

Reactions: Max_Rebo
We'll see. Why I'm hesitant that they offer anyone at this point is a lot of players like to commit before signing day which is 3 weeks from now. So a lot of guys have either committed or are in decision making mode following their fall visits.

And while they certainly don't have to do visits along-side a football weekend, I know the coaches generally like to do that. So they would need to be bringing in someone this weekend as this is the last home football game prior to the early signing period.

If they don't get anyone by that early signing period in 3 weeks, my guess is that they slow down the process and it probably won't be until late winter/spring until we hear of any other 2024 possibilities.
When did the news of Tadjo visiting break. Like the day of his visit. I guess will find out soon.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
It’s going to be interesting to see what Darin DeVries does with the Iowa roster this spring.
He’ll have some talent to work with.
Nobody wants to admit this, but realistically when any coaching change is made there is always a strong possibility that there is a mass exodus of the players. Maybe that wouldn't happen in this particular instance, who knows, but if you look at coaching changes in P6 conferences in the last few years they are almost always starting from scratch unless there is an internal hire. I could see a scenario where a couple of guys stay if Gatens were hired as an assistant too I guess.

Nobody wants to admit this, but realistically when any coaching change is made there is always a strong possibility that there is a mass exodus of the players. Maybe that wouldn't happen in this particular instance, who knows, but if you look at coaching changes in P6 conferences in the last few years they are almost always starting from scratch unless there is an internal hire. I could see a scenario where a couple of guys stay if Gatens were hired as an assistant too I guess.
At the very least, I imagine we'd need a scholarship for Tucker. ;)

Devries is a defense oriented coach. Night and day between Fran. So other than strong Iowa state/alumni ties there would have to be.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT