ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Softball

What's the season record for runners thrown out at home?
Saturday - Runner at 3b and ground ball to SS - Is it common to try to score on that play? I was surprised she sent her......after a stumble getting off the bag, she was out by 2 steps at home.....Well executed by MN, but surprised she went on contact.

Saturday - Runner at 3b and ground ball to SS - Is it common to try to score on that play? I was surprised she sent her......after a stumble getting off the bag, she was out by 2 steps at home.....Well executed by MN, but surprised she went on contact.
With who was coming up after (would have been two out), Jena trying to score there was probably our best shot. So much more frustrating was Bowman somehow not scoring on a great squeeze bunt Sunday in the 2nd (out by a mile). And worst of all, Jena the 1st out in the 3rd trying to score on Tori's double. She was out easy. She stay at 3rd we have 2nd & 3rd with no one out. Rule #1 - first out should never come at Home, right? Don't know who to blame. Jena is aggressive. She might have run through a stop sign there. Either of those two runs score we don't go into extras.

Reactions: Incredible Hawk
I haven't followed close enough to know the full situation on Saturday's situation. It certainly didn't help that she stumbled on the line. I was guessing that must have been their best chance to score (weaker hitters coming up), but wasn't sure. I missed Sunday's games. Wasn't sure they were going to play and didn't want to make the drive.

And an Iowa catcher again falls for the double steal. Runner on 1st takes off and Pogue guns her down. But that darn runner on 3rd comes in to score. Would like to know how many times that's happened to us in the post -Blevins era.

And an Iowa catcher again falls for the double steal. Runner on 1st takes off and Pogue guns her down. But that darn runner on 3rd comes in to score. Would like to know how many times that's happened to us in the post -Blevins era.
That's not on Pogue. Catchers should still make the throw. Infielders typically cut it off and check either one of the runners. In this case for some reason Jena conceded the run and chose to run down the person trying to steal.

Saw signs of frustration from Jena this weekend. Doesn't bode well, given the portal rules what they are, that she'll be a Hawk next season. She could start at much better programs.

I think Jena has reached base 14 out of her last 15 ABs!! Batting Average 7th in the B1G!
Freshman!
Nothing this season from the Iowa Marketing/ Social Media folks bragging her up.

Reactions: MossHawk6
Jena and Jalen can easily go into the portal and play for better programs. Would love to see them stay as both are the anchors for this program. This senior class was one of the worst talent wise. Great people but lack of leadership and talent, especially on offensive side of game. What I saw this season was expected after losing 80% of the offense last year. I’m encouraged by this freshman class. Jalen is our #1 pitcher and the focus on just pitching should stay there. I know she’s tried to hit for 2 seasons now but it takes a special talent to be successful at both. This is a young team that played their 1st or 2nd year of Power 5 ball. I have high hopes for next season.

Adams was really good for the first 3 innings at UNI, then her control left her. She's so big and strong, she looks like she could go 10 innings no problem. When it was 5-0 I thought we had a good chance to run-rule them.

Have to wonder about the rest of the pitchers, though. 8 pitchers on the roster counting Downe and the best we could do to follow Adams was Jaskowiak? Ojo's complete loss of control last weekend was troubling also. And what happened to Greer, is she injured?

Have to wonder about the rest of the pitchers, though. 8 pitchers on the roster counting Downe and the best we could do to follow Adams was Jaskowiak? Ojo's complete loss of control last weekend was troubling also. And what happened to Greer, is she injured?
I don't think Devin has played since she was hit by a pitch in the Indiana series. The HBP was intentional, I think. Gillispie forgot to reenter Devin, so as soon as she was HBP, she was out automatically ...which Indiana called attention to immediately. As least one coach as paying attention....

I was going to ask what happened to all of the pitchers. Adams has carried the bulk of the load. Is there NO ONE else (other than an outfielder) who can pitch? I saw Ojo @NE and thought she was decent. I haven't followed close enough, but seems to be a big hole in the roster.

Need a sweep (i think?) of IL to make the Big10 tournament.....As bad as IL is, I don't see that happening.

I think Jena has reached base 14 out of her last 15 ABs!! Batting Average 7th in the B1G!
Freshman!
Nothing this season from the Iowa Marketing/ Social Media folks bragging her up.
and we host it? How pathetic is that?

The good news: we broke the losing streak Saturday, with Ojo going the distance despite some nervous moments in the 7th.

The bad news: with MSU's late season hot streak, we're now in 14th place. Best we can finish is a tie for 13th if we win Sunday and MSU loses. So looks like we're out of the conference tournament, unless the Big Ten has a rule that the host qualifies regardless of record.

That's not on Pogue. Catchers should still make the throw. Infielders typically cut it off and check either one of the runners. In this case for some reason Jena conceded the run and chose to run down the person trying to steal.

Saw signs of frustration from Jena this weekend. Doesn't bode well, given the portal rules what they are, that she'll be a Hawk next season. She could start at much better programs.
I was watching UNI at last-place Valpo, and the same thing happened. Runner on first takes off, catcher throws to 2nd, UNI shortstop only looks at that runner who obligingly stops before getting to the base and allows herself to be caught in a run-down, while the runner on 3rd strolls home. UNI went on to lose 5-4.

Does Beth have the stones to fire Gillespie? She’s had enough years and this is simply unacceptable. A friend wants Ryan Jacobs of UNI and I don’t blame him.

Does Beth have the stones to fire Gillespie? She’s had enough years and this is simply unacceptable. A friend wants Ryan Jacobs of UNI and I don’t blame him.
I think they'll point to this year's injuries and last year's (relative) success and justify keeping her. I agree firing is warranted, but I'd be shocked if it happens.

I think they'll point to this year's injuries and last year's (relative) success and justify keeping her. I agree firing is warranted, but I'd be shocked if it happens.
I feel like last year bought her this year and now that good will has run out. Who have I missed that was injured most of the season?

I wonder if BG will just allow Gillispie's contract to run out, as was done with Looper.

I do think we have more pop in our bats that Looper's teams did. Used to be pretty rare to just get a ball out of the infield. Also thought we looked pretty scrappy last week, considering our position in the conference cellar. I once went to a Saint Louis U. game, and the whole team's body language shouted "anywhere but here".

I feel like last year bought her this year and now that good will has run out. Who have I missed that was injured most of the season?
Starting SS Berry, leadoff hitter Moss & #2 pitcher Greer all missed most the 2nd half of the conference season.

The senior class was terrible...but coach didn't recruit anyone who could step in. In this age of the portal, not a single transfer contributed. Diaz (.143 in B1G play) didn't miss an inning all season! Struck Out all four At-Bats yesterday. Klosterman (.196 in B1G) played fulltime after Moss went down.

The B1G is awful this year, and we couldn't even qualify for the tournament.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
I wonder if BG will just allow Gillispie's contract to run out, as was done with Looper.

I do think we have more pop in our bats that Looper's teams did. Used to be pretty rare to just get a ball out of the infield. Also thought we looked pretty scrappy last week, considering our position in the conference cellar. I once went to a Saint Louis U. game, and the whole team's body language shouted "anywhere but here".
I think Gillispie has one more year on her contract. I agree they'll just let it run out.

Gillispie has much more talented players than Looper. That's what makes this year's team so frustrating.

NIT event Iowa won last year has been cancelled

Softball budgets being cut. It's all about revenue-generating sports.
Maybe why Iowa didn't try too hard to reschedule games that were rained out.

NIT event Iowa won last year has been cancelled

Softball budgets being cut. It's all about revenue-generating sports.
Maybe why Iowa didn't try too hard to reschedule games that were rained out.
I have been saying this for a while. The NIL collectives will start to take $$ from non-revenue sports. Not directly, but the donors will start to direct some of their finds to the NIL, which will reduce the amount donated to the athletic general fund for non-revenue sports. It might be a slow process, but schools are already feeling it. Heck, this year, Iowa even sent out fundraising emails that each player had to provide the email addresses. Basically, begging for money.

Once they go to revenue sharing, I really do feel like it could be the end of non-revenue sports are they are currently set up. A school like Iowa is in very good shape with their athletic budget, but even they do not have a huge surplus after paying for the non-revenue sports. Once the athletic department has to give $xx,000,000 to revenue sports, that $$ has to come from somewhere. I believe it will come from non-revenue sports. That will take away opportunities from so many student athletes.

This NIL stuff will be the downfall of college athletics as we know it. And that is not a good thing, in my opinion.

I have been saying this for a while. The NIL collectives will start to take $$ from non-revenue sports. Not directly, but the donors will start to direct some of their finds to the NIL, which will reduce the amount donated to the athletic general fund for non-revenue sports. It might be a slow process, but schools are already feeling it. Heck, this year, Iowa even sent out fundraising emails that each player had to provide the email addresses. Basically, begging for money.

Once they go to revenue sharing, I really do feel like it could be the end of non-revenue sports are they are currently set up. A school like Iowa is in very good shape with their athletic budget, but even they do not have a huge surplus after paying for the non-revenue sports. Once the athletic department has to give $xx,000,000 to revenue sports, that $$ has to come from somewhere. I believe it will come from non-revenue sports. That will take away opportunities from so many student athletes.

This NIL stuff will be the downfall of college athletics as we know it. And that is not a good thing, in my opinion.
The other part of the problem is that we've made our own beds by driving up costs (i.e. supply and demand).

Why was college athletics as a whole so much easier to fund in the '80s and '90s, and '00s when you start to delve into women's sports?

Or to put it in other terms, why wasn't there this fear that college athletics would be in financial ruin BEFORE the era of NIL?

Why was college athletics as a whole so much easier to fund in the '80s and '90s, and '00s when you start to delve into women's sports?

Or to put it in other terms, why wasn't there this fear that college athletics would be in financial ruin BEFORE the era of NIL?
Scholarships/Room/Board - it's all become obscenely more expensive in the last 30 yrs.

Revenue sharing is supposed to allow for a more regulated NIL, but I'm skeptical. Now that NIL is out of the bag, there's no reigning it back in.

No question UI will struggle in the NIL era. Lower population, little big business and getting worse. People (especially people with money) are leaving the state. And Iowans are notoriously cheap. 😄

Probably OK by me. With NIL and the portal I'm quickly losing interest in college athletics anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT