ADVERTISEMENT

NW / IA PBP

Vallholl

HR Legend
Feb 2, 2013
Not sure if I will be ready at the start but here's the lineups from the match notes.

125 14/12/11 Drake Ayala Fr. Fort Dodge, Iowa/Fort Dodge 11-3 133 3/3/3
AusƟ n DeSanto Sr. Exeter, Pennsylvania/Exeter (Drexel) 11-0 -OR- Charles MaƩ hews *Fr. San Mateo, California/Junipero Serra 4-5
141 2/2/2 Jaydin Eierman Sr. Columbia, Missouri/Father Tolton (Missouri) 11-0 -OR- Drew BenneƩ Jr. Fort Dodge, Iowa/Fort Dodge (Northern Iowa) 2-4
149 17/12/14 Max Murin Sr. Ebensburg, Pennsylvania/Central Cambria 4-1 -OR- Cobe Siebrecht So. Lisbon, Iowa/Lisbon 5-2
157 15/12/11 Kaleb Young Sr. Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania/Punxsutawney 7-5
165 3/1/1 Alex Marinelli Sr. Miamisburg, Ohio/St. Paris Graham 12-0
174 2/2/-- Michael Kemerer Sr. Murraysville, Pennsylvania/Franklin Regional 2-0 -OR- Brennan Swaff ord Sr. Mediapolis, Iowa/Mediapolis (Graceland) 12-6
184 17/18/16 Abe Assad So. Carol Stream, Illinois/Glenbard North 7-2
197 5/5/8 Jacob Warner Sr. Tolono, Illinois/Washington Community 8-1
285 5/6/5 Tony Cassioppi Jr. Roscoe, Illinois/Honoegah 6-2 -OR- Aaron Costello Sr. Dubuque, Iowa/Western Dubuque 11-2
Head Coach: Tom Brands // Associate Head Coach: Terry Brands // Assistant Coaches: Ryan Morningstar, Bobby Telford #23

NORTHWESTERN WILDCATS (2-2, 0-2 BIG TEN) 2021-22 Overall Wt. Rank^ Name Yr. Hometown/High School Record
125 6/7/-- Michael DeAugusƟ no Sr. Palm Coast, Florida/Flagler Palm Coast 2-0
133 4/9/6 Chris Cannon So. Oceanport, New Jersey/Blair Academy 8-1
141 --/32/-- Frank Tal Shahar So. Delray Beach, Florida/American Heritage 4-4
149 6/5/4 Yahya Thomas Sr. Chicago, Illinois/Mount Carmel 7-2
157 2/2/2 Ryan Deakin Sr. Broomfi eld, Colorado/Legacy 6-0
165 Erich Byelick Jr. Orlando, Florida/Lake Highland Prep 0-2 -OR- --/32/-- David Ferrante So. Huntley, Illinois/Huntley 6-4
174 --/28/18 Troy Fisher So. Garden Plain, Kansas/Goddard 10-5
184 Jon Halvorsen So. Park Ridge, Illinois/Maine South 1-3 -OR- Jack Jessen Jr. Villa Park, Illinois/Willowbrook 1-4
197 --/28/-- Andrew Davison Sr. Chesterton, Indiana/Chesterton 7-4
285 13/14/17 Lucas Davison Jr. Chesterton, Indiana/Chesterton 12-3
Head Coach: MaƩ Storniolo // Associate Head Coach: Andrew Howe

I just need to reiterate, I am not 100% sure I'll be in front of a computer at 7 PM. Wife (no pix) has made "plans" that include "friends"
I’ve noticed the last few pbp threads you’ve gone Greek on us. Daughter and vall jr bringing that college vibe back to you?

interesting note is that halvorsen is the kid that upset assad his senior year. ended up pinning him in the state finals after that.

Interesting matches tonight. I haven't looked to see what is on BTN but surprised the dual on Sunday is on BTN and this is on BTN+.

Reactions: oldhawk56
If Deakin is #2, then Carr must be ranked above him. I think Deakin beats Carr. For tonight, KY is wrestling better but I dont think he is on Deakin level, hope Im wrong.

Has anybody seen the weigh in sheets that Cody Goodwin usually posts about an hour before the dual? I understand that he most likely didn’t travel to Northwestern this weekend, just wondering if NW has a version of him that posts those (I’m guessing unlikely)

Watching Illinois a bit. Wasnt impressed with Cardini and that Rachel guy is out of gas in the first minute and just embarrassingly stalling the rest of the way.

I'll be here in my office, listening to Ironside and Grace over the airwaves on KXIC AM on my 30 year old radio.
I'm happy to provide my transcription of their coverage of the meet.
Here in Iowa City, we've had snow falling non stop since 11AM. Schools let out early and all high school events are cancelled.
With the BTN showing other meets tonight, I've been looking forward to Grace and Ironside calling the action and will do my best to compete up with it as it happens.

great test for ayala. if you were to design someone made to be a bad match up for him, you would create deaugustino.

Reactions: TarpHawk
They're getting snow in Evanston since 5PM.
Nothing like in Iowa City.
Ironside unable to make the trip. Something came up.
That changes my perspective.
Right out of the gate, NW has two top ranked wrestlers.
HWT tough too.
Won't see Ryan Deakin from NW|
NW forfeits at 165 to Marinelli.
Big opportunities for Iowa to make hay.

Brands up next.

Reactions: Vallholl
Talk with Brands.

We love being on the road, we love the next event.
Gotta be ready to go.
Couple of new guys going tonight.
These gotta be ready.
They're high on their HWT guy.

This can’t be good even though I love seeing schriever. Didn’t want it to be this early

Got video here. Drake in on a couple of shots so far. Hasn't been able to convert. 1 min left in the 1st.

#7 Michael DeAugustino sophomore (2-0)for NW vs #11 Drake Ayala for Iowa at 125lbs.

Iowa is now ranked #2, behind PSU.

Iowa leads the series 73-7-1.

NW does an entrance video.

Main Street Sweets in West Branch is run by Steven Grace and his wife Jessica.

Welsh Ryan Arena was modernized a few years ago. Looks really nice in there now. Lot sharper.

Decent crowd. About a third full. Not bad.

NW has grey singlets and purple N and stipes.

We're underway.

Slide by by Ayala into a front headlock.

MDA fights it off.

Ayala stalking MDA.

Ayala looks for low single.

Snap, reshot into a sweep for Ayala trying to get the TD. MDA has a tight whizzer in. Potential danger whistle.

Nice drag by MDA but Ayala snakes out of it.

Ayala snapping and working the ties.

MDA controlling right hand.

MDA shoots gets behind for TD.

Ayala fighting for hand control.

:26 left in 1st period.

Ayala scoots hip for escape then almost gets a slide by, turns into PD again.

End of 1 period.

1-2 MDA

DeAaugustino scores on an Ayala slide-by. He was waiting for Ayala to try that one again. Drake with an escape. 2-1, short time left in 1st.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT