ADVERTISEMENT

#24 Ranked 2021 Class After Deavin Hilson & OL Michael Myslinski COMMIT.

Those quick passes have been done mostly because Frost got there and realized our O-Line sucked (thanks to Riley's S&C; this past year maybe average) and the tight ends we have cannot catch (leftovers mostly from Riley who did not use tight ends as much). We have a transfer this year who is more of a pass catcher and the 2021 recruits will contribute right away. Frost has historically liked using multiple tight ends but has not had the weapons so far and realistically will not fully utilize it until 2021.
So after this year can Nebraska fans stop complaining about their "talent." They regularly have had better recruiting rankings since the Pelini days yet every year it is for whatever reason they have no talent, no S&C, etc. If Frost is the real deal he should be able to turn the team around this year. Hell Kleinman down in Kansas State has already set them on the right path and I'm pretty darn sure they'd probably beat Nebraska this year and they have 1/2 the talent Nebraska does. That being said I look forward to Nebraska having another losing record, an outflow of recruits for whatever reason, and then again hearing all the excuses. At some point you just have to get the job done.

Reactions: owenhawk
If the staff wanted him then so did I but I can get behind a lot of what you are selling here. Our TE room is stacked with a lot of talent on paper and young. Of course, you never know how they will pan out or injuries ect.

Really excited about all 3 after LaPorta. Saw some of Lachey's highlights when he was coming out and super impressed.
Carnie looked very good over the summer at the limited camps he could do. If he could have gone to more national camps, the thought is he would have really blown up. Question was why we waited until last week to offer, but it seems we were unsure about taking three tight ends.

I really thought LaPorta was underrated out of high school. Saw him play basketball and was best player on the court. Just an athlete who was competitive. He visited Nebraska but we filled up and did not pursue him as much as we should have.

Carnie looked very good over the summer at the limited camps he could do. If he could have gone to more national camps, the thought is he would have really blown up. Question was why we waited until last week to offer, but it seems we were unsure about taking three tight ends.

I really thought LaPorta was underrated out of high school. Saw him play basketball and was best player on the court. Just an athlete who was competitive. He visited Nebraska but we filled up and did not pursue him as much as we should have.

Missouri - I have a favor. Keep posting on here. I am tired of some of the people (not just Huskers but from other schools) who just want to troll with zero substantive discussion. You seem very knowledgeable and can actually have a talk. That seems to be sorely missing on message boards. My 2 cents.

Reactions: owenhawk and WSC72
So after this year can Nebraska fans stop complaining about their "talent." They regularly have had better recruiting rankings since the Pelini days yet every year it is for whatever reason they have no talent, no S&C, etc. If Frost is the real deal he should be able to turn the team around this year. Hell Kleinman down in Kansas State has already set them on the right path and I'm pretty darn sure they'd probably beat Nebraska this year and they have 1/2 the talent Nebraska does. That being said I look forward to Nebraska having another losing record, an outflow of recruits for whatever reason, and then again hearing all the excuses. At some point you just have to get the job done.
I agree as a Husker fan that it needs to start showing on the field. The LB area was the area recruiting had really sucked and it has just killed us on D. We had 3 D linemen make NFL active rosters and the backfield is mostly back. Those are mostly fine. But the LBs were always out of position and just too slow. Those guys are gone, but D is still the question mark. Offense should be better. Watch out for Luke McCaffrey to play a lot at QB. Ty Robinson on D Line will be a beast. Both are redshirt freshmen.

The O-Line will be the best in years with actual depth. A couple of starters from last year may not start. The Raridon kid is a good example of Riley's recruiting. 4-star supposedly 6'4". I have stood near him and he is more like 6'2". Looks like a kid next to the younger guys we are getting (6'6" seems to be minimum Frost will recruit). Never sees the field.

Frost was shocked at the S&C of the team when he got there (per an internal source I have). Supposedly Riley's S&C guy did not believe in squats, so they did not do them....huh??? Frost brought in his guy, but it takes a year or two to show up. Lines were undersized for Big Ten and simply soft. D Line also has had a different position coach each of the last four years. Also had some bad apples (ie JD Spielman for one) to weed out (pardon the pun).

As to Kleinman at K-State, he inherited a culture not much different than what he wanted. He also had a 2-year returning starter at QB in Skylar Thompson to build around. Frost went with a freshman who regressed in 2019 for whatever reason.

We have also had bad luck and bad decisions. Dropped passes vs Colorado left the door open in 2019. Loss. Martinez runs out of bounds vs Iowa rather than let clock run and go to OT. We punt, Iowa makes a couple of nice plays and the kicker wins it. Loss. We had four different kickers, all walkons. Special teams a mess, so hired assistant from Auburn who has great special teams.

Hopefully we get out to a 2-2 start with the schedule we got. Go from there. Should be fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: hexumhawk
Missouri - I have a favor. Keep posting on here. I am tired of some of the people (not just Huskers but from other schools) who just want to troll with zero substantive discussion. You seem very knowledgeable and can actually have a talk. That seems to be sorely missing on message boards. My 2 cents.
I enjoy it. My parents are from southwest Iowa. Grew up in Omaha and have season tickets. Attended Nebraska Iowa in 1982 in Iowa City and then again in the late 90s.

Went to grad school with Larry Staton btw. Great guy. Told me his first game was at Nebraska. Only game he didn't start. Went in and was so overwhelmed by the moment, he froze when the ball was snapped on the first play. A Nebraska lineman blasted him. Welcome to college football.

• Haha
Reactions: beatdahuskers
I enjoy it. My parents are from southwest Iowa. Grew up in Omaha and have season tickets. Attended Nebraska Iowa in 1982 in Iowa City and then again in the late 90s.

Went to grad school with Larry Staton btw. Great guy. Told me his first game was at Nebraska. Only game he didn't start. Went in and was so overwhelmed by the moment, he froze when the ball was snapped on the first play. A Nebraska lineman blasted him. Welcome to college football.

Well keep posting. I know who your team is and that is great. I don’t like Nebbie but respect your program. And at least you don’t do the politics and name-calling and know your shit. You brought up Station. I was fairly young (15) and my dad and I flew to KC to go to the World Series and watched in a bar the Iowa-Michigan game and Larry made the best defensive play I have even seen when he stopped Jamie Morris (I think). Weird deal my Dad gave me the option of flying to KC to watch games 1 and 2 of the World Series or going to the Iowa-Michigan game. As a Royals and Hawk fan, made a mistake!

Reactions: hexumhawk
Frost better get it done in ‘21 or he is going to get fired IMO. No chance this year Nebraska has a good record.

Well with the schedule in 21' I wouldn't hold my breath on them having a good record. It is brutal to say the least.

Missouri - I am in the extreme minority here so maybe shouldn’t even post this but whatever. I actually want Nebbie to be good. I think it makes the Big 10 better. Do I want to lose to you guys or lose recruits? Of course not. However, would it be fun having Wisconsin, Iowa, Minny and Nebbie ranked each year. Hell yes. The Big 10 West narrative is so false (we had 3 top 15 teams last year for God’s sake) but if Nebbie steps up I think it makes the conference look better. Will I get banned for this post?!
You didn't grow up with a disdain for a particular program I see. Nothing wrong with that.

I dislike Nebraska football and want them to lose each and every game. All in all I don't care how the division looks - just how Iowa looks. I'd like for the Hawks to win by 40 every Saturday.

We're definitely getting away from the discussion in the thread title. Sorry for that.

I think Frost has, after this year, a minimum of 3-5 years. The admin and boosters have seen what happens with a constant carousel of coaching changes.

It is a risk, of course, but I don't see how it is a bigger risk than changing staffs every 3-4 years.

It took Tom Osborne nearly 2 decades to win his first MNC, though he was generally in the Top 10 every year. With what Frost inherited, I think everyone is on board with a very long leash and a very long recovery time.

I think more teams will adopt this idea/model as well, as time passes. Look at Texas, Tennessee, FSU, even Miami and LSU (defending champs) and you can see a pattern emerging. Changing staff too often is no good. Sometimes a team hits on the right guy and catches fire immediately, but that is proving to be ever more rare.

I hope that the general view becomes a longer term for coaches. That would also provide assurance that that 'hot new G5 coach' is actually the real deal. So many of those guys land a stacked team and have a great year or two. Then they are grabbed with huge money, by an impatient school/boosters and simply fail.

Finally, I wonder what Bama does when Nick retires in the next few years. Not sure why he is still coaching, really. Guy has to be worth a hundred million or more by now. I'd be on a beach in Italy, or wherever, or just hanging out with family.

I think Frost has, after this year, a minimum of 3-5 years. The admin and boosters have seen what happens with a constant carousel of coaching changes.

It is a risk, of course, but I don't see how it is a bigger risk than changing staffs every 3-4 years.

It took Tom Osborne nearly 2 decades to win his first MNC, though he was generally in the Top 10 every year. With what Frost inherited, I think everyone is on board with a very long leash and a very long recovery time.

I think more teams will adopt this idea/model as well, as time passes. Look at Texas, Tennessee, FSU, even Miami and LSU (defending champs) and you can see a pattern emerging. Changing staff too often is no good. Sometimes a team hits on the right guy and catches fire immediately, but that is proving to be ever more rare.

I hope that the general view becomes a longer term for coaches. That would also provide assurance that that 'hot new G5 coach' is actually the real deal. So many of those guys land a stacked team and have a great year or two. Then they are grabbed with huge money, by an impatient school/boosters and simply fail.

Finally, I wonder what Bama does when Nick retires in the next few years. Not sure why he is still coaching, really. Guy has to be worth a hundred million or more by now. I'd be on a beach in Italy, or wherever, or just hanging out with family.

The let's fire coaches after 2 seasons is absolute idiotic and just keeps setting Nebraska back further and further. Frost will climb out of the hole shortly. He took over a complete turd of a roster and the current one only has a few good upperclassmen. It will come around and when it does I see it staying that way for a long time.

This sounds oddly familiar to a certain Big 10 school minus having a great year or 2 by the "hot new coach".

As someone who has despised the majority of Nebraska fans that have come to this board and their delusion and excuse-making, I agree with this. It's fine to be somewhat a homer - we all tend to be to some degree with our favorite team - but the overwhelming majority of Nebraska fans on this site have been terrible.

Reactions: beatdahuskers
You didn't grow up with a disdain for a particular program I see. Nothing wrong with that.

I dislike Nebraska football and want them to lose each and every game. All in all I don't care how the division looks - just how Iowa looks. I'd like for the Hawks to win by 40 every Saturday.

We're definitely getting away from the discussion in the thread title. Sorry for that.

Notre Dame is where my disdain lies. And in the last couple years ISU but that is with a few psychotic fans more than anything. But I always have said every Saturday my 2 favorite teams are Iowa and whoever plays ND.

As someone who has despised the majority of Nebraska fans that have come to this board and their delusion and excuse-making, I agree with this. It's fine to be somewhat a homer - we all tend to be to some degree with our favorite team - but the overwhelming majority of Nebraska fans on this site have been terrible.

Spot on. I guess I wasn’t commenting as much on Nebbie posters overall, but Missouri at least can have a reasonable and rationale conversation. And that is welcomed with so much trolling and political back and forth.

I agree. I will say Iowa fans go on our free board and do the same thing. Just gotta ignore trolls. I am actually on the paid board for us so nothing there.

I give credit where due. For example, not a Mizzou fan but really like the Drink hire for football. Give Ferentz credit for player development and chemistry. Frost had some sleepless nights year 1 when he realized how bad Riley had messed up the culture. It goes back farther. Bo created an "Us vs the World" mentality toward even fans. Bo was a real tool. Callahan would have succeeded but he rejected the history/alums and would not fix the D. Great recruiter and X&O coach. Solich is a MAC coach who had Eric Crouch to make him look good for a bit.

I will give these guys all credit when it comes to academics. No issue there normally. Worked with a former player under Bo. He met weekly with the academic people in the AD. If you skipped class, he called you in and would yell at you worse than he would on the field.

I noted previously the problems with the lines, something Iowa is obviously good at developing. In 2016, the O Line for Nebraska averaged 6'4" 295 while using some walkons. In 2020, it will average 6'6" 310. Same with D Line which averaged under 280 in 2016 and will average 310 this year. S&C had really suffered under Riley. Just now catching up.

But I always have said every Saturday my 2 favorite teams are Iowa and whoever plays ND.
Agree with Notre Dame opponents and even more-so regarding Nebraska - if Neb's opponent was Iowa Western CC, i'd hope they lose regardless of the backlash our division and/or conference may receive.

Agree with Notre Dame opponents and even more-so regarding Nebraska - if Neb's opponent was Iowa Western CC, i'd hope they lose regardless of the backlash our division and/or conference may receive.

I totally understand buddy. And I am not rooting for Nebbie at all. Never. Was only saying it does help the conference was all. My ex BIL is a monster Husker fan and played DL college ball (not at Nebbie which was his dream). Most laid back guy on any day but Saturdays during football season and watching a Husker game with him is unbearable. Growing up in Chicago where ND is king for college sports I assume is similar to living in western Iowa with Huskers.

I’ve lived in Nebraska now for 15 years. I’ve never had an issue with any Husker fan outside of a handful. Generally great people who I have a blast trading barbs with

I’ve lived in Nebraska now for 15 years. I’ve never had an issue with any Husker fan outside of a handful. Generally great people who I have a blast trading barbs with

Carls - I get that with my ex BIL. We trade barbs, but watching a Nebbie game with him is miserable. It was quite a few years ago (well when he was my BIL not ex BIL) and the girls went shopping when Nebbie played Okie. Huepel (sp?) may have been the Okie QB. And I was flat worried for my house. Nebbie went up early and then got rocked. Watching a 275 lbs guy go out on my patio and launch a half cooler (good size Coleman) of beer and ice was a sight. That should be an Olympic event. I just grabbed some of the full cans from my yard and sat down.

Reactions: HawkInArk

In person they are nothing like on-line, reasonable but still mostly ignorant.
But make no mistake, the DESPISE IoWWWWWa.

Frost is very safe. Outsiders do not realize the hot mess Riley left in just three years there. S&C was horrible and his ability to analyze recruits was questionable. We also have lost a lot of close games and just seem to have zero luck. Using multiple kickers last year (after schollie got hurt) cost us 1 if not 2 games. This season is just hard to predict, but brutal is not likely. Very young team still so need to play to get better for future. Key is O-Line (better) and pass rush/linebacker play (which was horrible last year due to lack of talent and just dumb play like the long run by Iowa when the LB bit and was out of position). Confidence and a winning attitude needs to develop more.
But what happened to the quick turnaround like UCF?

Reactions: FreddyUI
No Iowa offer yet. Iowa is just showing interest.

Eli has 8 offers:
Boise State
Arizona
Arizona State
Iowa State
Nevada
New Mexico State
Northern Arizona
Idaho

Not sure, do not know much about him. He's listed as an Athlete on 247 and Rivals and plays QB, WR, and free safety. At the very least he's obvious a positionally flexible football player. Maybe could be a quick OLB or play at cash. But it's possible he's not quite 6'-3" or 6'-4" either.

Reactions: Franisdaman
In-state RB Jayden Williams decommitted from K-State earlier today. Does not appear to have an Iowa offer but he is being recruited by Jay Niemann. Iowa does not have a RB in the class and probably wants one even more since the RB room is even smaller now with Byrd's departure.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Calvin "CJ" Johnson II is currently a Navy QB commit. He committed to Navy on June 18.

4.0 GPA, 35 on the ACT.

Iowa is recruiting him as a defensive back.

Johnson is a 2nd cousin with Iowa WR Brandon Smith.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT