ADVERTISEMENT

3/31 Midwestern Severe Weather Outbreak thread - High Risk in Iowa

Colonoscopy

HR Legend
Feb 20, 2022
Saint Louis, Mo
Can't update this often since I'm in Dallas, however, this needs to be seen:

Parts of Eastern Iowa and the quad cities are going to be placed under a high risk threat for strong tornadoes. This is the highest risk level from the Storm Prediction Center.

DISCUSSION...An upgrade to a tornado-driven High Risk (30%
probability) is expected for the 1630 UTC outlook. Environmental
conditions are quickly becoming favorable to support the potential
for numerous strong to potentially violent and long-track tornadoes

across portions of southeastern IA, northwestern IL, and far
northeastern MO. Please see the forthcoming Day 1 outlook update for
more information.

mcd0390.png

Last edited:
Can't update this often since I'm in Dallas, however, this needs to be seen:

Parts of Eastern Iowa and the quad cities are going to be placed under a high risk threat for strong tornadoes. This is the highest risk level from the Storm Prediction Center.

mcd0390.png
The Weather Channel has given this area their Torcon rating of 7, which is very high. They also just raised their Torcon rating of 7 around Memphis to a 9. That is on a scale of 10.

The Weather Channel has given this area their Torcon rating of 7, which is very high. They also just raised their Torcon rating of 7 around Memphis to a 9. That is on a scale of 10.
Bump: They just raised it to a 9 for Iowa and NW Illinois, too.

Students are all getting out 2 hours early here to get them home safely. I better get some gas for the generator.

Well this has certainly been the most hyperbolic build up of an early spring severe weather outbreak I can ever remember.

So here is hoping that jinxes it from being actually awful.
no kidding

schools out early, my work is shutting down early

I don't ever recall a spring storm causing this much hype

Reactions: torbee
Still hoping to go out for dinner and see Book of Mormon tonight, probably while my car is battered by hail in the street.

So weird. Tornado watch up to the Minny border, then Winter Weather advisory in SoMinn, then Winter Storm Warning north above the twins. Blizzard warnings in Western Minny and about half of SoDak.

Reactions: McLovin32
Tornado warning just issued for south central Iowa just west of 35 south of Osceola and north of Lamoni. The supercell is moving in a hurry to the NE with hail measuring 2.1 inches.

Reactions: McLovin32
South of Iowa City, we haven't had more than 15-30 minutes of sunshine today so I'm hoping that's a good sign.

I don't ever remember so much stuff being cancelled ahead of a storm that wasn't a winter storm.
That derecho is still pretty fresh in everybody's mind.
I've got all of my outdoor stuff at home put away or otherwise as safe from wind as I can get it. Axe and hatchet are both sharpened, I started the chainsaw earlier just to make sure it was in working order.
We have plenty of water, food, etc.
The only thing I didn't do is, as I mentioned in an earlier post, go grab the camping gear(lanterns, countertop propane grill) but all of that stuff is a 5 minute drive away, assuming the roads are passable.

That derecho is still pretty fresh in everybody's mind.
I've got all of my outdoor stuff at home put away or otherwise as safe from wind as I can get it. Axe and hatchet are both sharpened, I started the chainsaw earlier just to make sure it was in working order.
We have plenty of water, food, etc.
The only thing I didn't do is, as I mentioned in an earlier post, go grab the camping gear(lanterns, countertop propane grill) but all of that stuff is a 5 minute drive away, assuming the roads are passable.
I was getting pretty close to empty for gas in my truck, so decided to fill up after I worked out this morning solely because I thought back to the derecho and how nobody could get gas in CR or any of the surrounding areas for a couple days after that.

Reactions: HawCory
No early round in SE Iowa and Iowa City. The stuff firing east of DSM looks to be main show. We'll see how they evolve with time... Not spinning much yet, but that often changes

I think I may go out in the next half hour and move my car into a covered parking ramp just in case. I'd prefer an undimpled finish over an insurance settlement.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT