ADVERTISEMENT

$30M Buyout for Kirk Ferentz

The math:

On Oct 5, 2023, as you can see below, Kirk's buyout was $37M.

Based on his $7M annual salary, with it being one year later, I am guessing the buyout is roughly $30M.

Buyout amounts on Oct 5, 2023:
  • 1. James Franklin, Penn State (No. 4 overall): $64.67 million
  • 2. Matt Rhule, Nebraska (No. 6 overall): $62.06 million
  • 3. Ryan Day, Ohio State (No. 9 overall): $46.22 million
  • 4. Dan Lanning, Oregon (No. 11 overall): $44.33 million
  • 5. Luke Fickell, Wisconsin (No. 13 overall): $39.68 million
  • 6. Kirk Ferentz, Iowa (No. 14 overall): $37 million
  • 7. Bret Bielema, Illinois (No. 15 overall): $35.75 million
  • 8. Jim Harbaugh, Michigan (No. 21 overall): $27.24 million
  • 9. P.J. Fleck, Minnesota (No. 24 overall): $23.73 million
  • 10. Kalen DeBoer, Washington (No. 25 overall): $23.2 million
  • 11. Tom Allen, Indiana (No. 28 overall): $20.4 million
  • 12. Mike Locksley, Maryland (No. 34 overall): $16.55 million
  • 13. Greg Schiano, Rutgers (No. 40 overall): $13.07 million
  • 14. Ryan Walters, Purdue (No. 44 overall): $12.63 million
  • 15. Chip Kelly, UCLA (No. 48 overall): $8.79 million

As I’ve followed Iowa sports for 56 years (age 63), I recall that Evy (a hall of fame coach) did considerable damage to UI athletics when he left as AD in 1970.

Since then, Gary Barta has done the most damage to UI athletics given his long term contracts with ridiculous buyouts he gave to Kirk and Fran.

Last edited:
The saddest thing is that it would be one thing if Kirk was trying new things and trying to figure out the best way to make the team better and improve things .......

But its not that. It's because he so incredibly fvcking stubborn and entitled to never change his ways and thinking.

Yet, at the same time, wants to set the new victories record in the B1G.

Our frustration meters need to be industrial scale to even begin to still barely register on just how much over the level it is.

The university…with its $100M/yr TV money…

Exactly. Not like they are paying players. Just charge more for Beer too, like they will anyway.

Not like they are going to go after a big high $$$ hire anyway. It'll be an up and comer, so you aren't paying bonkers salary plus the buyout.

We could get 40 Cade McNamara's for that price.
suicide.gif

As I’ve followed Iowa sports for 56 years (age 63), I recall that Evy (a hall of fame coach) did considerable damage to UI athletics when he left as AD in 1970.

Since then, Gary Barta has done the most damage to UI athletics given his long term contracts with ridiculous buyouts he gave to Kirk and Fran.
Barta did a nice job with two large Kinnick Stadium renovations as well as the new football practice facility.

Ferentz has earned every penny he's currently being paid. Fran.... that's debatable.

Barta did a nice job with two large Kinnick Stadium renovations as well as the new football practice facility.

Ferentz has earned every penny he's currently being paid. Fran.... that's debatable.
GTFO. Last B1G championship was 2004, that’s 20 years ago. And when he had the chance in 2009, played for OT at tOSU with the ball and 1 plus minutes to go at the 30 yard line with an upper class-men led team, lost in OT instead of go for the win on the road. 2015 was a shoot out and lost to MSU. Now he just plays to not lose games. Time to retire.

GTFO. Last B1G championship was 2004, that’s 20 years ago. And when he had the chance in 2009, played for OT at tOSU with the ball and 1 plus minutes to go at the 30 yard line with an upper class-men led team, lost in OT instead of go for the win on the road. 2015 was a shoot out and lost to MSU. Now he just plays to not lose games. Time to retire.
Not an upper classmen QB in OT @ OSU.

Kirk is the 5th highest paid coach in the B1G ($7,000,000). Fran is the 15th highest paid coach in the B1G ($3,300,000). Their end of the year standings in the B1G have been pretty similar even without basketball having the luxury of the B1G West. You’ve got a pretty skewed perception of reality my man.

Think of all of the lawsuits that were filed under the Barta administration. And Iowa lost every one of them

Reactions: Macbride79
Kirk is the 5th highest paid coach in the B1G ($7,000,000). Fran is the 15th highest paid coach in the B1G ($3,300,000). Their end of the year standings in the B1G have been pretty similar even without basketball having the luxury of the B1G West. You’ve got a pretty skewed perception of reality my man.

5th in the B1G!?!?

Barta was a damn moron

Cignetti is going to have Indiana consistently in the mix. Guy is a great coach. I'm jealous. Even though he's 60 he's still hungry. This is his first taste of big money.

Reactions: hawkdave007
Lol at that Matt Rhule number tho

Nebraska is getting better, plus landed a 5 star QB. Who’s played both really good and had some rough times. Obviously getting their doors blown off at Indiana isn’t ideal but they are coming along.

Cignetti is going to have Indiana consistently in the mix. Guy is a great coach. I'm jealous. Even though he's 60 he's still hungry. This is his first taste of big money.
It’s amazing what someone can accomplish when their job is on the line and they have something to prove. Iowa hasn’t had those factors associated with their head football coach in 15 years….

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT