ADVERTISEMENT

40 minutes

Sorry, there’s no question that leaving an external door open, for any reason, represents a security risk. It’s something that admittedly teachers have done for years, and 99% of the time there aren’t any negative repercussions. Sadly, in the day and age we live, propping doors open is something teachers just can’t do anymore.

Oh for heavens sake, NO ONE has said that. But who knows what happens if it takes him a couple more minutes to get in. Maybe the security guard comes back from the parking lot and spots him. Maybe a teacher spots him and alerts the main office sooner. Maybe the first 911 call comes in quicker. Maybe teachers have more time to secure their classrooms. Minutes are precious in this kind of situation and it’s nonsensical to say a possible delay would have had no impact.

And maybe you’re right and it wouldn’t have made any difference. We will never know. Just saying that a lot of things went wrong, and this was one of them.

Weren’t there 911 calls about 15 minutes before he even got to the school, when he crashed into the ditch & shot at people across the street?

My daughter and granddaughter were just at our house. I asked my daughter how O's school was setup for entrance. She told me about the double entry, locked doors. Then she went on to say that in the Argyle school district, some teachers are armed and carrying. Some do not. They also have a designated "Dad Patrol" where random dads volunteer to do perimeter surveillance and security?

First I had heard about the teachers being armed or the volunteers.
Those are both very good ideas.

My daughter and granddaughter were just at our house. I asked my daughter how O's school was setup for entrance. She told me about the double entry, locked doors. Then she went on to say that in the Argyle school district, some teachers are armed and carrying. Some do not. They also have a designated "Dad Patrol" where random dads volunteer to do perimeter surveillance and security?

First I had heard about the teachers being armed or the volunteers.
Armed patrols at school is beyond the pale.
Something is very wrong with this picture.
We don’t live in Nigeria.

Just like the war on drugs, you are promoting a failed response. We can’t shoot our way out of the problem. Never will work…

Pretty sure those other countries enjoy the same freedoms you do.
I’d love to put a $ value on how much those countries benefit from our military and economic power. Must be wonderful living in little eutopias when daddy is circling the block making sure no one rocks the cradle.

How many officers, exactly, do you want inside that hallway? How many need to be inside the school? Those officers were following orders to secure the perimeter and maintain the crime scene. Nothing more. The parents were concerned, rightfully so. But you CAN NOT allow a civilian, with a weapon, to enter a scene where a civilian with a weapon has already been taking human life! We already know that mistakes were made. Big mistakes. Keeping parents out of harms way is not one of them.

This isn't hard people, good grief!

Being on a hijacked plane is way different! Its why I always take the aisle. If I'm going down, I'm going down fighting.
I want enough officers in the hallway to stop the gunman. No more, no less. The officers were outside fussing with the crowd, it seems, while the kid was still inside with a rifle he should not have had access to…

I’m just asking questions. Banned for being an instigator troll. Sad!
I’ve asked three times for a debate in a new thread. The doctor does not deliver. Typical academic headset of someone with no real world experience. It all looks good on paper……

I’ve asked three times for a debate in a new thread. The doctor does not deliver. Typical academic headset of someone with no real world experience. It all looks good on paper……
OHALLtroll_kefer2.jpg

Reactions: billanole
I’m not in favor of arming the teachers, but, it’s prolly the least of my concerns. I’m betting that if I was in front of a classroom, and had the option, I’d choose to carry. For many, however, that would not be the choice.
I don't think mandating that all teachers carry is a good idea. I think allowing teachers that want to get the proper training to carry is a good idea.

Reactions: Mike Zierath
Armed patrols at school is beyond the pale.
Something is very wrong with this picture.
We don’t live in Nigeria.

Just like the war on drugs, you are promoting a failed response. We can’t shoot our way out of the problem. Never will work…
Yeah, to me, it kinda feels like a screen patch on a hole in a boat.

Font teachers already have enough to worry about without remembering pack their firearm in the morning? Hell, underpaid, under supported in the classroom, administrations that have forgotten what it’s like to be a teacher(or never were), no disciplinary measures, no classroom control and teaching g a curriculum that doesn’t really teach a kid sic’em! On top of that, let’s make them the #1 target of a deranged individual with ill intent on his mind…….see why I might not agree with arming teach @Warrior Poet31

they already have enough on their plates and they May lack adequate response training!

But again, if it were me, and I had the option, I’d prolly do it!

I want enough officers in the hallway to stop the gunman. No more, no less. The officers were outside fussing with the crowd, it seems, while the kid was still inside with a rifle he should not have had access to…
They were in there. Their chief was being a wussy and would t allow them to follow training protocol apparently!

there can be more than one activity happening simultaneously, and was.

I’m not in favor of arming the teachers, but, it’s prolly the least of my concerns. I’m betting that if I was in front of a classroom, and had the option, I’d choose to carry. For many, however, that would not be the choice.
A teacher carrying is an awful idea. Think about how many times trained cops shoot people because they believe someone has a weapon and they are threaten. Do you think the public will be ok if Joey brings a BB gun to school that looks like a real gun and the teacher takes out the threat before anyone is harmed? What if Donny is arguing with Tom, the teacher steps in to break it up and one of the boys takes the teacher's gun and shoots the other?

The public thinks teachers are teaching their children to feel guilty for being white and that LGBTQ is the best lifestyle, but the same people are going to think they were protecting the class when a teacher shoots a student that appeared to be carrying a weapon?

A teacher carrying is an awful idea. Think about how many times trained cops shoot people because they believe someone has a weapon and they are threaten. Do you think the public will be ok if Joey brings a BB gun to school that looks like a real gun and the teacher takes out the threat before anyone is harmed? What if Donny is arguing with Tom, the teacher steps in to break it up and one of the boys takes the teacher's gun and shoots the other?

The public thinks teachers are teaching their children to feel guilty for being white and that LGBTQ is the best lifestyle, but the same people are going to think they were protecting the class when a teacher shoots a student that appeared to be carrying a weapon?

There is precisely one scenario where a teacher with a gun is a good idea and about 1,000 where it isn’t.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT