ADVERTISEMENT

44 Tennessee Players out Today (Sep 5). Contact Tracing & MANDATORY 14 Day Quarantine Likely will do the SEC, ACC & Big 12 in

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Just watch.

I was listening to Adam Rittenberg on ESPN radio this morning. If the starting center gets covid, for example, think of all the people he comes into contact with during meetings, practices and during a game (if we get to that point). All of those people then have to go into quarantine for 14 days.

A mandatory 14-day quarantine is for those who have been found to have had “high-risk” contact with a person who tested positive for the virus. “High-risk” contact includes collisions in practice.

Its gonna be a mess that shuts it all down.

Just watch.

And hope ;)

Last edited:
Just watch.

I was listening to Adam Rittenberg on ESPN radio this morning. If the starting center gets covid, for example, think of all the people he comes into contact with during meetings, practices and during a game (if we get to that point). All of those people then have to go into quarantine.

Just watch.

And hope ;)

I do believe if they go forward with a plan that any person that tests positive then every one of their contacts must be quarantined it will not be workable. Is that the plan? It is like schools opening and saying if we have one third grader test positive then all his contacts must quarantine, i mean how many other kids does a third grader contact, i mean you can't control that very well. Even if you eliminate recess, social distance at lunch etc. i would say that kid has contact with 30 to 50 kids a day, how long was he/she assymptomatic prior to that, how do you trace a third graders contacts. I think you just have to go with if you are positive you stay home. College football should have the resources to identify positives prior to them having a lot of chance to spread it. Its either quarantine positives only or why start, there will be positives.. Im glad you are hoping it will be a mess that shuts it all down, if we can't have nice things nobody else should LOL.

I do believe if they go forward with a plan that any person that tests positive then every one of their contacts must be quarantined it will not be workable. Is that the plan? It is like schools opening and saying if we have one third grader test positive then all his contacts must quarantine, i mean how many other kids does a third grader contact, i mean you can't control that very well. Even if you eliminate recess, social distance at lunch etc. i would say that kid has contact with 30 to 50 kids a day, how long was he/she assymptomatic prior to that, how do you trace a third graders contacts. I think you just have to go with if you are positive you stay home. College football should have the resources to identify positives prior to them having a lot of chance to spread it. Its either quarantine positives only or why start, there will be positives.. Im glad you are hoping it will be a mess that shuts it all down, if we can't have nice things nobody else should LOL.
yep. the 14 day quarantine is mandatory

Just watch.

I was listening to Adam Rittenberg on ESPN radio this morning. If the starting center gets covid, for example, think of all the people he comes into contact with during meetings, practices and during a game (if we get to that point). All of those people then have to go into quarantine for 14 days.

Just watch.

And hope ;)
You hope CFB gets shutdown just because Iowa can't play?

Reactions: pmtdc
Working in the Federal arena...I can tell you exactly how contact tracing is being done. If someone tests positive, only those who were within 6 feet of that person for a continuous 10 minutes AND who were not wearing a mask or shield...and yes, the players are having a shield piece added to their helmets...are considered "traced" and required to also quarantine. My guess is a similar method will apply with these athletes with the addition of repeated testing for those on the periphery of such contacts.

In other words, if the players are wearing their new face shield pieces while playing and do not linger for more than 10 minutes in direct contact with each other during meetings and other events (within 6 feet with no mask)...than the 2nd party will not be quarantined. Its actually a rather high standard and where I work it has resulted in very few "collateral" quarantines.

Working in the Federal arena...I can tell you exactly how contact tracing is being done. If someone tests positive, only those who were within 6 feet of that person for a continuous 10 minutes AND who were not wearing a mask or shield...and yes, the players are having a shield piece added to their helmets...are considered "traced" and required to also quarantine. My guess is a similar method will apply with these athletes with the addition of repeated testing for those on the periphery of such contacts.

In other words, if the players are wearing their new face shield pieces while playing and do not linger for more than 10 minutes in direct contact with each other during meetings and other events (within 6 feet with no mask)...than the 2nd party will not be quarantined. Its actually a rather high standard and where I work it has resulted in very few "collateral" quarantines.

thanks for the info makes things a bit more clear and workable

Based on the center gets it, the both guards beside him and the nose tackle across from him, depending on defensive sets, will have to quarantine. Those 3 will have been within 6 feet of the center for on average 30 minutes of the 60 minute game. It’s not continuous minutes but how would the center not spread it? Are they not breathing, spitting ? This will be interesting.

Reactions: nu2u
Based on the center gets it, the both guards beside him and the nose tackle across from him, depending on defensive sets, will have to quarantine. Those 3 will have been within 6 feet of the center for on average 30 minutes of the 60 minute game. It’s not continuous minutes but how would the center not spread it? Are they not breathing, spitting ? This will be interesting.
From the Sports Illustrated article I posted above:

One SEC assistant coach described the contact-tracing portion of the guidelines as “overwhelming.”

A Pac-12 team doctor calls the issue a “massive challenge."

West Virginia athletic director Shane Lyons, even while on an NCAA video news conference, posed a chilling question last week to the audience listening. “How can we play the game of football and, with contact tracing, not lose the entire team?”

Based on the information they were provided, they did make the right decision. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it the wrong decision.
Nobody likes not having college football. March Madness being canceled was bad enough.

I hope you are right that they made the correct decision.

No, if they were wearing their new face masks...being lined up near someone doesn't count. Its only if you are "unmasked" for 10 consecutive minutes within 6 feet.

No, if they were wearing their new face masks...being lined up near someone doesn't count. Its only if you are "unmasked" for 10 consecutive minutes within 6 feet.

It will be interesting, I’m sure some body fluids could be exchanged during contact or in a pile up. Sweat and slobber will be flying.

Need a design for a mouth/nose guard, like an exhaust pipe with muffler attached. Ha, did I just say "nose guard"?

So BIG players can practice/train 20 hours per week, the same as other conferences, but but can’t play on Saturdays? Seems like the presidents that voted for this are looking more foolish by the day.

For a development program like Iowa who has players take major strides during bowl and spring practices we will come out of this smelling roses. Absolutely huge from a practice perspective to not have to prepare every week for an opponent.

That said I will miss tailgating and games this year.

From the Sports Illustrated article I posted above:

One SEC assistant coach described the contact-tracing portion of the guidelines as “overwhelming.”

A Pac-12 team doctor calls the issue a “massive challenge."

West Virginia athletic director Shane Lyons, even while on an NCAA video news conference, posed a chilling question last week to the audience listening. “How can we play the game of football and, with contact tracing, not lose the entire team?”
This. If literally ANYONE on the team gets it which some will, there's almost no way they keep going long term...

Reactions: Franisdaman
This. If literally ANYONE on the team gets it which some will, there's almost no way they keep going long term...

This is my point. I was still looking forward to football, but there is a subset here that apparently think the rest of CFB is going to go on without a hitch and have a normal season while Iowa sits at home. This will be the least official CFB season in modern history. I expect chaos, scandal, and ultimately, some sort of champion that will mean utterly nothing.

I wish our federal government had responded to COVID appropriately like every other developed country in the world. Then we probably would have a normal season.

One starter gets it and you lose your entire starting offense for 2 games.

Why would they even try to play the season?

Once the vacine is out, then it will be shut down until there are 0 covid cases!

Gotta smash down that curve to ZERO now!

What a f***ing joke. Talk about moving the goal posts

Yes from the beginning the whole thing was set up to fail. When it was agreed upon that new cases means everything stops the game is lost already. Despite the data now from 6 months showing that this age group is at so low risk from COVID (less than influenza). The "zero new cases" before anything can happen is literally a standard that won't ever be met barring a miracle vaccine that is 100% effective. What will change 1 year from now? If any new cases is considered a risk, then no college sports can ever happen again.

One starter gets it and you lose your entire starting offense for 2 games.

Why would they even try to play the season?

Because that's not how contact tracing will be applied. If you have contact while masked...which is what the new face masks are about...you are not considered contacted. Even without the mask you'd have to have 10 minutes of direct contact. So coaches will have their guys stay masked...wear their helmets...during games and practice. They will use spacing and cloth masks in meetings and other admin settings.

In other words, the Center may test positive...but the Guards are not quarantined as long as they were wearing their masks. So you DON'T lose "the entire starting offense" as you suggest.

The masks are a shield that's built into the helmet itself...it really can't "not" stay in place...you'd have to crush the entire face mask to have it move.

Reactions: Ldgator
There is no way these conferences will be able to have a season AND be responsible with COVID spread. When they announced that they were going forward with their seasons, I figured they had the "f&ck this COVID hoax B.S." attitude and just didn't care. I figured that small crowds/masks/social distancing etc. would be an illusion of caring. If they're seriously planning on doing regular testing and quarantining those players and their "contacts," this will be the shortest football season in history.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT