ADVERTISEMENT

5 police officers for a seatbelt violation

The gun wasn't legal, he had previously been charged with weapon possession as a felon. I'm sure the cops knew him and also knew he likely had a gun on him and was a danger.
It's crazy we have people constantly clamoring for more gun restrictions, yet this human piece of garbage, who is part of the core source of gun violence in this country, gets shot while possessing an illegal gun and firing at police... and just like clock work those same people rush to defend him and attack the police. It shows how unserious they really are.
Not defending him at all. Just question the tactics. And if they are putting themselves and the public in unnecessary harms way. Still feel grabbing the guy coming out of a gas station or other errands would be more appropriate. But as I stated before maybe he never gave them that chance.

Reactions: BelemNole
The gun wasn't legal, he had previously been charged with weapon possession as a felon. I'm sure the cops knew him and also knew he likely had a gun on him and was a danger.
It's crazy we have people constantly clamoring for more gun restrictions, yet this human piece of garbage, who is part of the core source of gun violence in this country, gets shot while possessing an illegal gun and firing at police... and just like clock work those same people rush to defend him and attack the police. It shows how unserious they really are.
Not defending the guy... especially if he did fire at police. But, from an outsiders view it's just plain stupid for police to pull up on a car and start yelling at them... especially if they might have a gun. I'm guessing they didn't know or they wouldn't have done so which makes why blocking off a car with a bunch or police seem strange for a "seatbelt."

I'm all for some gun restrictions... would make life for police (and the public) safer in the long run if it was a lot harder to get a gun.

Reactions: ericram
My only concern is that they never identified themselves from what you can see/hear on the video.
5 people with guns jump out of a car and surround you tends to make most people jumpy.

Reactions: TC Nole OX
Which "same people" are defending him? Not ITT as far as I can see. If he was a felon in possession of a gun and shot at police first, I have zero sympathy for him or his family that apparently failed at parenting him adequately.
Some ITT are questioning some of the LE actions during this encounter, and I absolutely think that is fair game as well.

Not defending him at all. Just question the tactics. And if they are putting themselves and the public in unnecessary harms way. Still feel grabbing the guy coming out of a gas station or other errands would be more appropriate. But as I stated before maybe he never gave them that chance.
Why? So he can pull his illegal gun and start shooting at a Walgreens?

Which "same people" are defending him? Not ITT as far as I can see. If he was a felon in possession of a gun and shot at police first, I have zero sympathy for him or his family that apparently failed at parenting him adequately.
Some ITT are questioning some of the LE actions during this encounter, and I absolutely think that is fair game as well.
Yes. Every single case like this should be reviewed by an independent party. Shooting a citizen by police should be rare and absolutely should be open to deliberate scrutiny.

Why? So he can pull his illegal gun and start shooting at a Walgreens?
I’ve seen a raid go down on someone in a parking lot. Officers get the drop on the perp. And they can see everything he has. A felon who gets pulled over will have a better chance to hide his intentions. Also the possibility of someone else being in the vehicle beyond that tinted glass. It’s just a better tactical situation for the officers. Never give them a chance to go for their gun.

Also part of the reason so many shots were fired is he tried to drive off after they had fired like 60 rounds. After he got out they stopped firing so much. The guy shot him 3 times on the ground but he couldn't tell if he still had the gun.

If I was St. Louis I would have been pissed that he grabbed his wrist and started moving it around like that. damn.

I'm not saying this guy didn't play stupid games. 96 shots? Shit there are people that deployed to Iraq that never took that many shots. A little over the top IMHO. Again, stupid games...

Reactions: TC Nole OX
I'm not saying this guy didn't play stupid games. 96 shots? Shit there are people that deployed to Iraq that never took that many shots. A little over the top IMHO. Again, stupid games...
If you watched the video there were an awful lot of those 96 shots taken when the officers would have NO IDEA if they had connected or not. Standard LEO training is to keep shooting until the threat is confirmed to be neutralized...and they really could not do that for at least the first 2/3 of the flurry.

You don't want to get shot by the police? Follow their commands and don't shoot at them first. Once the dude popped one cap on them it is game on...or actually, game over.

I’ve seen a raid go down on someone in a parking lot. Officers get the drop on the perp. And they can see everything he has. A felon who gets pulled over will have a better chance to hide his intentions. Also the possibility of someone else being in the vehicle beyond that tinted glass. It’s just a better tactical situation for the officers. Never give them a chance to go for their gun.
Wver seen one where the perp saw the cops first and holed up on the store?

You live in a fantasy land

I'm referring to mayor Johnson and the other race hustlers first and foremost. Include the OP and his dumbass thread title as well. Nitpicking LE when the dude was a felon with a gun and fired at officers is certainly defending him in a way as well.

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
So a guy shoots at the police first...

Sampling of headlines from the American media

Washington Post:
Police fire 96 shots in 41 seconds, killing black man during traffic stop

USA Today:

Seat belt violation ends with Black man dead on Chicago street after cops fired nearly 100 bullets​

AP News:

Deadly Chicago traffic stop where police fired 96 shots raises serious questions about use of force​

CBS:

Why did Dexter Reed traffic stop, shootout with Chicago Police escalate so rapidly?​

ABC:

Deadly Chicago traffic stop where police fired 96 shots raises serious questions about use of force​

Last edited:
We had someone killed just down the block when the police decided to try to apprehend a dude at the local park. I never saw the final results but I'd bet money that it was a police bullet that killed them.

Wver seen one where the perp saw the cops first and holed up on the store?

You live in a fantasy land
The most dangerous situation for LEOs is a traffic stop correct. According to the article the police did not have knowledge of the ex felons history. This is the second incident under investigation in the last month involving the same 5 LEOs. Lessons can be learned. Personal opinion they didn’t engage the target in a smart way. If you’re going to overwhelm someone like this u don’t want them to see it coming or give them a chance at a gun. Fight or flight kicks in. And considering his priors. He’s a fighter.

Poty

Reactions: arrrrrghhhh!
It’s a shitty situation but it’s also hard to feel sorry for the guy that got shot when he is in illegal possession of a gun and allegedly fired the first shot.

Even if he were pulled over for a BS reason, he clearly knew he had broken the law and panicked.
Not allegedly, he fired multiple shots on the police. The video is online. What did y’all think was gonna happen? He was a felon and had a gun in the car.
I love the media showing the HS pic from five years ago and not his most recent pics that depict the path he was headed down. Cops were justified in returning fire.
It’s a sad chain of events that could’ve been avoided. I feel for all involved, especially the officers that were shot.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
I wonder how they saw him not wearing a seat belt when his windows were dark tinted. Also the officer at the car window got really aggressive really quick. 5 officers for a seat belt violation would make my brown self nervous too. Not sure why he fired first and no way did they need 96 shots to kill him. One cop had to reload 3x.
It’s simple, cops are bad shots. However, if I’m defending myself, I will use every clip I have.

I love the media showing the HS pic from five years ago and not his most recent pics that depict the path he was headed down. .
I think they generally use whatever pics are most easily found. I remember some years ago some Iowa wrestlers got arrested and the media used their formal wrestling pictures with them in suits.

Reactions: TNHAWK79
I think they generally use whatever pics are most easily found. I remember some years ago some Iowa wrestlers got arrested and the media used their formal wrestling pictures with them in suits.

Oh of course... Always the best of intentions with the American media.

Reactions: TNHAWK79
0e5aea59-6de9-4549-afa6-339b468e53d6_text.gif

Reactions: DeangeloVickers
It is absolutely shameful that the media tries to paint this into a race issue. Situations like this are what take away from legit situations of actual racism.

the fact that the mayor met with the family is embarrassing for the City of Chicago and should piss off every police officer in the force.

Do not reward shooting at the cops.

So a guy shoots at the police first...

Sampling of headlines from the American media

Washington Post:
Police fire 96 shots in 41 seconds, killing black man during traffic stop

USA Today:

Seat belt violation ends with Black man dead on Chicago street after cops fired nearly 100 bullets​

AP News:

CBS:

Why did Dexter Reed traffic stop, shootout with Chicago Police escalate so rapidly?​

ABC:

If anyone doesn't find this framing of the event by the media troubling, then I am not sure what it would take.

People are so easily manipulated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT