ADVERTISEMENT

9 or More B1G Friday Night Games are Coming for the 2024 Season. Looks like they will be on FOX (IOWA at UCLA on Nov 8; 8:00pm CT)

How many mentions of Brian being on the Maryland staff with the tv announcers make during this broadcast?
Very few if any. If he were an actual coach that might be a story, but no one will care that Iowa's disgruntled former OC has a job sitting in a dark room cueing up film for coaches who matter. I'm also hoping that Iowa is having a good enough season that BF feels like ancient history by then.

When UCLA plays on a Friday night, it makes it even more unlikely that students will be at the game, as the Rose Bowl is 28 miles from the UCLA campus in Westwood. Friday night is a brutal night to try to get from Westwood to Pasadena.

Reactions: pistachio1999
When UCLA plays on a Friday night, it makes it even more unlikely that students will be at the game, as the Rose Bowl is 28 miles from the UCLA campus in Westwood. Friday night is a brutal night to try to get from Westwood to Pasadena.
Ugh to this idea......would rather be basking in the sun at the Rose Bowl than be there til 10 at night then fight So Cal traffic. This would be a bummer if it happens.

Nooooo

We've been so psyched about driving up from south Orange County that Saturday for the game! With work and rush hour traffic now, I don't know if we can make it work.
Exactly....Friday evening will be a bitch for traffic.
I plan on going out there early but was PLANNING to stay in Orange Country or Belmont Heights......If this goes to a Friday evening game I will be looking at somewhere closer to Pasadena, at least for the night before and night after the game.

Friday night games only work when I have something going on Saturday. But on principle, I don't like it. Friday nights are for high school kids.
So how does this change things for the high schools exactly? It's not like it's taking their BTN timeslot.

Reactions: peacehawk
Not a fan of Friday games, but guess I can get used to it. Football has always been a Saturday thing for me.

I suppose I'm just being traditional, but I tend to do other things on Friday nights. Guess that's what the DVR is for, though.

At least back here in Heaven, the kickoff will be like 9pm or so on that Friday night and high school football is over by that date.

So how does this change things for the high schools exactly? It's not like it's taking their BTN timeslot.
It doesn't other than taking the spotlight off of them. People like to watch their kid and watch their favorite college team. Now they will be forced to choose (well, it's not really a choice) but they won't be able to watch the college game because of their kid's game. Is this Earth shattering? No, but it is a thing.

It doesn't other than taking the spotlight off of them. People like to watch their kid and watch their favorite college team. Now they will be forced to choose (well, it's not really a choice) but they won't be able to watch the college game because of their kid's game. Is this Earth shattering? No, but it is a thing.
They can still watch their kid if they have one playing and record the college game for viewing later. It's pretty much a non-issue, especially if it's an away game where physically going wasn't even an option.

They can still watch their kid if they have one playing and record the college game for viewing later. It's pretty much a non-issue, especially if it's an away game where physically going wasn't even an option.
Well it's a home game for somebody. Maybe just not Iowa. Friday nights are for high school kids and it should stay that way. It's part of "fall".

Well it's a home game for somebody. Maybe just not Iowa. Friday nights are for high school kids and it should stay that way. It's part of "fall".
Not saying I agree or disagree, but Fri night college football is not going anywhere, so your choices are to embrace it or be bitter about it for eternity; the former is healthier.

What about from the palm springs area? We are thinking about going to PS for the week and catching the game. Friday night might screw it up for us.
Just take a leak before you head out after. I've only driven Pasadena to Riverside area one time and that was on a Saturday afternoon for a Nascar race and I didn't have any issues then. Palm Springs is just a ways further east from there. If you are going downtown after then yeah, I'd expect heavy traffic yet.

Not saying I agree or disagree, but Fri night college football is not going anywhere, so your choices are to embrace it or be bitter about it for eternity; the former is healthier.
You are severely, gratuitously overestimating how much I care about this issue.

Other than the # of eye balls watching the high school games, if competing college games are on the same time. 😜

You are severely, gratuitously overestimating how much I care about this issue.
You cared enough to condemn Fri night college football in 4 separate posts in this thread, so I’d say that my estimation was more accurate than you want to admit.

I would think that most years we won't be sweating this much. Fox is going to use the Big 12 in these spots too (though I would think they're going to broadcast most of those on FS1). If we got one extra road game a year on average on Friday nights, that's not a huge sacrifice, and for some of these lower-tier schools like Minnesota, Purdue, or Maryland - its a rare chance at a night game and is a real event on TV.

Its a lot better for the league than what other schools are getting. The Big 12 is going to have some schools getting 6 or 7 games a year on ESPN plus. SEC teams could see 3-4 games a year on that platform. Woof.

I heard 2PM Iowa time today to look for the Fox announcement for their entire Friday slate. We'll see.

Friday, September 13Network
8:00 PMArizona at K-StateFOX
Friday, September 20
8:00 PMIllinois at NebraskaFOX
Friday, September 27
8:00 PMWashington at RutgersFOX
Friday, October 4
9:00 PMMichigan St. at OregonFOX
Friday, October 11
8:00 PMNorthwestern at MarylandFOX
Friday, October 18
8:00 PMOregon at PurdueFOX
Friday, October 25
11:00 PMRutgers at USCFOX
Friday, November 8
9:00 PMIowa at UCLAFOX
Friday, November 15
9:00 PMUCLA at WashingtonFOX
Friday, November 22
8:00 PMPurdue at Michigan St.FOX
Friday, November 29
8:00 PMUtah at UCFFOX
Friday, December 6
8:00 PMMountain West ChampionshipFOX

Friday, September 13Network
8:00 PMArizona at K-StateFOX
Friday, September 20
8:00 PMIllinois at NebraskaFOX
Friday, September 27
8:00 PMWashington at RutgersFOX
Friday, October 4
9:00 PMMichigan St. at OregonFOX
Friday, October 11
8:00 PMNorthwestern at MarylandFOX
Friday, October 18
8:00 PMOregon at PurdueFOX
Friday, October 25
11:00 PMRutgers at USCFOX
Friday, November 8
9:00 PMIowa at UCLAFOX
Friday, November 15
9:00 PMUCLA at WashingtonFOX
Friday, November 22
8:00 PMPurdue at Michigan St.FOX
Friday, November 29
8:00 PMUtah at UCFFOX
Friday, December 6
8:00 PMMountain West ChampionshipFOX

I have a feeling Iowa and Nebraska won't have to ever host a Friday night game (unless its Black Friday)

Maybe the annual Black Friday game is a good thing after all

The quick turn around sucks but the bye the following week after the UCLA game will be well deserved.

Sat Nov 2..........vs Wisconsin
Fri Nov 8...........at UCLA
Sat Nov 16.....BYE
Sat Nov 23........at Maryland

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT