ADVERTISEMENT

9 or More B1G Friday Night Games are Coming for the 2024 Season. Looks like they will be on FOX (IOWA at UCLA on Nov 8; 8:00pm CT)

Well Rutgers just got handed two of them.

The first one at home in September versus Washington

The second in October versus USC. Unfortunately for Rutgers fans in New Jersey The game is at USC I will be starting at 8:00 p.m. PCT which means it will be airing at 11:00 p.m. Eastern. Fortunately this is one of the games that MrScrew and I are attending in person

Over by the second weekend of November in Iowa.

The week Iowa plays at UCLA should be the semi finals or first weekend at the Dome. The playoffs will be three of the five Fridays in Nov.

And most ain't in it.

Or “Those are all over by November dates”? Which is it?

Most aren’t it in the playoffs, true. It’s just the biggest games of the HS football season is all.

The second in October versus USC. Unfortunately for Rutgers fans in New Jersey The game is at USC I will be starting at 8:00 p.m. PCT which means it will be airing at 11:00 p.m. Eastern. Fortunately this is one of the games that MrScrew and I are attending in person
I didn't know if that start time was a typo lol...

You cared enough to condemn Fri night college football in 4 separate posts in this thread, so I’d say that my estimation was more accurate than you want to admit.
I was responding to other people's posts. I'm not the one who seems to be getting emotional about this issue. But whatever. It's just an opinion.

• Haha
Reactions: MeetTheFerentzes

playing the West Coast teams & traveling across 3 time zones are not gonna be fun for Maryland & Rutgers

and 11 pm kick offs where the game gets over at 2:30ish in the morning? Wow. Who will be awake?

it's all about the money, of course....

Reactions: MrsScrew
Iowa got jobbed on this one.

How so? Because we now play 2 games on Friday? Just curious what your thoughts are. I prefer Saturday games but TV is what dictates all of this, unfortunately.

The quick turn around, for one thing, sucks, but the bye the following week after the UCLA game at least is one good thing.

Sat Nov 2..........vs Wisconsin
Fri Nov 8...........at UCLA
Sat Nov 16.......BYE
Sat Nov 23........at Maryland

staying up past 2:30 in the morning does not sound like much fun

The last time we had a weeknight West Coast game I recorded it and got up early the next morning to watch it. Ends up we beat Washington State! I'm hoping for the same versus USC and I get to see it in person

Reactions: ichawk24
The last time we had a weeknight West Coast game I recorded it and got up early the next morning to watch it. Ends up we beat Washington State! I'm hoping for the same versus USC and I get to see it in person

That should be a fun trip. Nice weather, iconic stadium.

usc_trojans_united_airlines_field_los_angeles_memorial_coliseum_aerial.jpg

Despite the pains associated with a Fri night game at the Rose Bowl, it’s kinda nice for those traveling and have Sun AM flights. I was more worried about a Sat night game. Now we have all day Sat to do LA stuff and can get to bed early if necessary.

Ugh to this idea......would rather be basking in the sun at the Rose Bowl than be there til 10 at night then fight So Cal traffic. This would be a bummer if it happens.

Unfortunately, we knew this crap was coming 7 months ago (in October). I guess we should be thankful we play every year on Black Friday because hopefully that means we avoid Friday night games more often than not moving forward.

Hopefully Beth makes her case that we already play on Friday once/year; that's enough.

Reactions: Packer54
isn't their attendance abysmal even on Saturday games?
They averaged 41,953 in 2022 and 47950, last year (boosted by a crowd of 71K for Colorado). There's probably not a worse place for a Friday night game.

When UCLA was added people talked about what a great venue the Rose Bowl was. No. It's certainly an iconic building and the Rose Bowl game is special. But it's a lousy home field for UCLA, 28 miles from campus.

I'm guessing they put Iowa there on a Friday night hoping it would boost attendance by drawing SoCal Iowa fans.

Last edited:
They averaged 41,953 in 2022 and 47950, last year (boosted by a crowd of 71K for Colorado). There's probably not a worse place for a Friday night game.

When UCLA was added people talked about what a great venue the Rose Bowl was. No. It's certainly an iconic building and the Rose Bowl game is special. But it's a lousy home field for UCLA, 28 miles from campus.

I'm guessing they put Iowa there on a Friday night hoping it would boost attendance by drawing SoCal Iowa fans.

Man, adding these West coast teams sure has made things interesting.

And what will TV ratings be when people on the east coast are in bed & not watching?

On the east coast, the game kicks off at 9 pm and won't end until around 12:30 am.

Kirk has said he is good if it is Labor Day weekend or Black Friday for home games on a Friday, otherwise they have stated they need to be on the road. Due to parking issues and staff (hospital and school) needs on non-holiday Fridays. They have stated they are good with Fridays on the road if needed. They have done so against Minnesota and Maryland so far.

Kirk hates West coast trips. I am sure he's not thrilled about this Friday night game at UCLA, either.

Iowa's 2024 schedule:​

• vs. Illinois State, August 31, 2024
  • vs. Iowa State, September 7, 2024
  • vs. Troy, September 14, 2024
  • at Minnesota, September 21, 2024
............................Sep 28 BYE.............................................
  • at Ohio State, October 5, 2024
  • vs. Washington, October 12, 2024
  • at Michigan State, October 19, 2024
  • vs. Northwestern, October 26, 2024
  • vs. Wisconsin, November 2, 2024
  • at UCLA, November 8, 2024
............................Nov 16 BYE.............................................
  • at Maryland, November 23, 2024
  • vs. Nebraska, November 29, 2024

Man, adding these West coast teams sure has made things interesting.

And what will TV ratings be when people on the east coast are in bed & not watching?

On the east coast, the game kicks off at 9 pm and won't end until around 12:30 am.
9pm they should just be getting home from a night out and ready to flip on the tv.

UCLA has a new head coach. I don't think they are gonna be very good.

I also think 10-2 is do-able. Heck, imo, 11-1 is possible if Cade stays healthy all season. The schedule is favorable. Our new OC/QB coach seems competent.
What's your guess as to UCLA's record by the time we play them? That would also tamp down any desire for their fans to show up.

I'd say they have maybe 4 wins going into our game against us. So 4-4-ish

Hope Lachey can stay healthy also.

Yep.

And hopefully the offense is clicking right off the bat because it sure would be nice to be 4-0 heading into the game on Oct 5 at Columbus.

• vs. Illinois State, August 31, 2024
  • vs. Iowa State, September 7, 2024
  • vs. Troy, September 14, 2024
  • at Minnesota, September 21, 2024
............................Sep 28 BYE.............................................
  • at Ohio State, October 5, 2024

What's your guess as to UCLA's record by the time we play them? That would also tamp down any desire for their fans to show up.

I'd say they have maybe 4 wins going into our game against us. So 4-4-ish

Guessing 3-5. I think Chip Kelly got the hell out of there for more than one reason, including the roster that he had coming back. ;)

UCLA's schedule:

Aug 31 at Hawaii
Sep 14 vs Indiana
Sep 21 at LSU
Sep 28 vs Oregon
Oct 5 at Penn State
Oct 12 vs Minnesota
Oct 19 at Rutgers
Nov 2 at Nebraska
Nov 8 vs IOWA

Reactions: pistachio1999
Guessing 3-5. I think Chip Kelly got the hell out of there for more than one reason, including the roster that he had coming back. ;)

UCLA's schedule:

Aug 31 at Hawaii
Sep 14 vs Indiana
Sep 21 at LSU
Sep 28 vs Oregon
Oct 5 at Penn State
Oct 12 vs Minnesota
Oct 19 at Rutgers
Nov 2 at Nebraska
Nov 8 vs IOWA
I could definitely see a team like Rutgers beating them in Jersey.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT