ADVERTISEMENT

A different perspective on Trump's "blowout" caucus win . . .

torbee

HR King
Gold Member
I don't necessarily buy this line of reasoning and think it smacks a bit of wishful thinking. But it is food for thought:

On Trump's "Historic" Iowa Caucus Win

The common media narrative is wrong...​

I spent Monday evening at the Pella High School Gym for the Republican caucuses and wrote my thoughts on it for the Kansas City Star. Here it is. Last week I wrote a preview of the caucuses for them. I’ve told you I’m honored to be in the Star, one of our great newspapers.

You might hit a paywall, and if you do, I encourage you to subscribe if you can afford it. You won’t regret it—lots of great coverage in the Star that we can all learn from. I subscribe and find much of interest in the paper every day. I’ll share a bit of the article below.

I estimate that about 550 people caucused in the Pella gym.

While below is a highlight of the column, I encourage you to read the whole piece here.

It wasn’t a historic victory for Trump. The narrative is wrong. Much of the media is treating this like a normal caucus year when it’s not. Trump is essentially running as an incumbent, and 49% of Iowan Republican caucus-goers said they want someone else. The bloom is off the rose. It was even worse for Trump in conservative Pella. In the four precincts there, Trump received only 43%, 45%, 38% and 34% of the vote. This means that 57%, 55%, 62%, and 66% of conservative Pella Republicans wanted someone else but Trump. In rural Pella, Ron DeSantis beat Trump outright 32.2% to 31.8%.

Imagine if President Joe Biden as an incumbent had similar numbers in the caucuses, where 49% of Iowa Democratic caucus-goers wanted someone else? It would be reported as a clear defeat for Biden, and the party would likely be looking to coalesce around a different candidate, as has happened historically. You can’t have it both ways.

The soft underbelly of Donald Trump’s likely future general election campaign was exposed for all to see, yet much of the media missed it.​

Reactions: h-hawk
Unfortunately, almost the entirety of that 51% who did not vote for Trump in January will vote for him in November because their red team means far more to them that the good of the country.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT