ADVERTISEMENT

A New Low In Play Calling Futility - TE Wildcat?

IowasLaw

HR All-State
Nov 19, 2019
What does a coach on the hot seat do when he has a full month of bowl prep to improve upon his offense in hopes of saving his career?

1. Arduously study what other successful coaches have done to create big plays and steal some outside ideas?
2. Evaluate all the talent on your roster and figure out a way to get your fastest and most elusive playmakers the ball in space?
3. Change your WR route trees to figure out ways to get them the ball?
4. Double down on the exact same failing offense, but add one new wrinkle involving direct snapping to...your tight end, who runs a 4.8 40?

If you said #4, you are correct! Never before have fans been exposed to anything as dumb as intentionally designing a wildcat offense around your tight end. Certainly not when you've got a wide range of explosive playmakers like Cooper DeJean, Kaleb Johnson, or X available to run it. Tight end wildcat (unless the tight end has elite speed, which LaPorta does not have) defies logic. It's not cute, it's not innovative, and it's not acceptable.

Playmakers see what's happening and are defecting right and left. Each of the top 4 Wrs on Iowa's roster have already jumped ship, Charlie Jones, Arland Bruce, Keagan Johnson, Tyrone Tracey finding success elsewhere. Iowa's staff has replaced them with recruits who have minimal, if any, scholarship offers from other schools. The transfer portal, thus far, has been a bust at WR. Copeland can't even get DIII WRs kids to commit, let alone the elite Power 5 WRs needed to right the ship. Can you blame them? They still don't know who will be calling plays for Iowa next year and they know Brian can't get it done.

Yesterday's bowl game ineptitude was the final straw. The program cannot move forward with Brian calling the plays. It sends the wrong message to athletes, parents, and fans.

What does a coach on the hot seat do when he has a full month of bowl prep to improve upon his offense in hopes of saving his career?

1. Arduously study what other successful coaches have done to create big plays and steal some outside ideas?
2. Evaluate all the talent on your roster and figure out a way to get your fastest and most elusive playmakers the ball in space?
4. Double down on the exact same failing offense, but add one new wrinkle involving direct snapping to...your tight end, who runs a 4.8 40?

If you said #4, you are correct! Never before have fans been exposed to anything as dumb as intentionally designing a wildcat offense around your tight end. Certainly not when you've got a wide range of explosive playmakers like Cooper DeJean, Kaleb Johnson, or X available to run it. Tight end wildcat (unless the tight end has elite speed, which LaPorta does not have) defies logic. It's not cute, it's not innovative, and it's not acceptable.

Playmakers see what's happening and are defecting right and left. Each of the top 4 Wrs on Iowa's roster have already jumped ship, Charlie Jones, Arland Bruce, Keagan Johnson, Tyrone Tracey finding success elsewhere. Iowa's staff has replaced them with recruits who have minimal, if any, scholarship offers from other schools. The transfer portal, thus far, has been a bust at WR. Copeland can't even get DIII WRs kids to commit, let alone the elite Power 5 WRs needed to right the ship. Can you blame them? They still don't know who will be calling plays for Iowa next year and they know Brian can't get it done.

Yesterday's bowl game ineptitude was the final straw. The program cannot move forward with Brian calling the plays. It sends the wrong message to athletes, parents, and fans.
Would you just shut up? The diarrhea coming from your mouth gets old.

If you didn't get the point that it was about giving props to Sam for the type of player and teammate he was then you are lost.
I loved it. I was really hoping that Jaz would have broken one for a first down Would have been fun to see more... Need that young OL to step up.

Need to watch the replay. Looked like Labas wasn't happy with LaPorta in there. But I only caught a glimpse.

They should not have ran it for an entire series. One play, absolutely. That’s really my only gripe with it tbh.
My problem with the wildcat is that it can only be a gimmick unless you have a passing threat out of it as well, or at least don’t have it predetermined if it’s a handoff or a keeper.

It can be a fun wrinkle in particular situations. Thought this was fun for one play but they went beyond it for the whole series.

My problem with the wildcat is that it can only be a gimmick unless you have a passing threat out of it as well, or at least don’t have it predetermined if it’s a handoff or a keeper.

It can be a fun wrinkle in particular situations. Thought this was fun for one play but they went beyond it for the whole series.
Agreed. On 3rd down I thought they might let him pass, but nope lol.

Reactions: Bishop1971
I am thinking they hoped it could spark a running game, but then again, Labas runs just fine and could easily run the read option that they never gave much of a shot.
Labas never once pump faked the D. They sold out every time. I felt he did decent for game one but he left plenty on the table for sure. The couple of simple pitch plays to Jaz were good and I wished they would have went with that a little more and optional passes off that play set. Whatever the blocking scheme was the OL did obviously better with it.

Reactions: Bishop1971
Labas never once pump faked the D. They sold out every time. I felt he did decent for game one but he left plenty on the table for sure. The couple of simple pitch plays to Jaz were good and I wished they would have went with that a little more and optional passes off that play set. Whatever the blocking scheme was the OL did obviously better with it.
Walleye, were you here back in 2003ish when we posted pictures of fish we caught? I had posted a picture with a 9 pound walleye from ne iowa. Just curious and off topic.

IowaSlaw at parties

giphy.gif

We weren’t

We weren’t moving the damn ball at all anyway, so I have no problem with putting in the wildcat….HOWEVER, aren’t there about 20 kids faster on the roster that are quicker and faster and ultimately more effective in the wildcat?!? Yes, offense has been infected moose rectum all year long.

I was fine with it, but felt it should have only been for one play, or else let him throw the ball once.

To have him run straight up the middle on third down was an incredibly stupid call.
Agreed - I guess I am in the minority and not seeing how/why this was a 'tribute' to Sam either? Seems like Cooper would have been the more logical choice. If I dig deep, I guess it could have been the proverbial middle finger raised by the Captain to all the Iowa fans complaining about our impotent offense all season long. ;)

Agreed - I guess I am in the minority and not seeing how/why this was a 'tribute' to Sam either? Seems like Cooper would have been the more logical choice. If I dig deep, I guess it could have been the proverbial middle finger raised by the Captain to all the Iowa fans complaining about our impotent offense all season long. ;)
It wasn't a tribute to LaPorta, that's nonsense. I can't really tell you what the idea of it was other than the coaches are clueless

That likely saved Brian's job.

I thought it was one of the dumbest things i ever seen, then let run it 3 times?? It just showed how incompetent the offensive coaches are. Just plain dumb. It was a little embarrassing actually, that pretty much sums up this offence

Seeing how much angst it is causing you and your ilk, I wish they had run it more.

I am thinking they hoped it could spark a running game, but then again, Labas runs just fine and could easily run the read option that they never gave much of a shot.
QB might get hurt if they run the read option too much. Can't be putting our QBs in a position where they could get hurt and not be available to hand the ball off and be a pocket statue waiting for route trees that take half an hour to develop while their fat OL forgets which team they're suppose to block for..........

Reactions: 83Hawk
If you didn't get the point that it was about giving props to Sam for the type of player and teammate he was then you are lost.
Is that really what it was? Waste 3 plays by running your tight end in a wildcat with virtually zero chance of success? That's a tribute to bad offense more than anything else.

Reactions: wxhawk and jhawk23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT