ADVERTISEMENT

Aaron Nagao in the Portal

Did I say he wasn't better? I'm just quite frankly embarrassed for Iowa Wrestling and specifically its fans for losing their collective sh$t over someone who finished 5th at the NCAAs.
Doesn't Penn State return like 7 or 8 guys that finished 5th or higher from the previous season, now?

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Doesn't Penn State return like 7 or 8 guys that finished 5th or higher from the previous season, now?
7 guys that finished 3rd or better I believe. Dean was 7th. Truax and Nagao will be replacing Dean and RBY's spots, that is if Brooks doesn't move up and Truax down.

That religious crap should be expressed in church on Sunday morning. Not on some wrestling podcast.

No different than some guys here getting worked up when someone expresses a political POV.
Religion and politics fall under the same umbrella.
Sorry but I don't agree. When someone like Aaron Brooks is giving recognition to God, it isn't canned. Bowing down to a politician is way different than bowing down to your God and Savior.

is ending with

@js8793 at least he didn't tell you to

with unquestionably sincerity.

'nough said.
Your are REALLY good at quoting "snippets" to remove context. Do you work for CNN or Fox?

Read the sentence in its entirety and reach for context. Here it is: Much like starting with the "with all due respect" phrase, saying something in a true asshole manner and then saying just kidding guys doesn't make you any less of a dick. Especially when you really can only get away with saying things like that to your best of friends and even then you risk truly pissing them off.

To help you out, I wasn't calling YOU a name. I was making a point that prefacing or ending a dickish statement with "with all due respect" " or " just kidding" doesn't make someone less of a dick for doing so. Simply put, "you" was the "universal you" in that statement..... But, keep being you and followin me around. I thoroughly enjoy it...

Name calling can be fun at times.
But, I truly did not. There are many versions of the saying, but basically, "If you have to resort to name calling in an argument, you have already lost." I am not perfect, so I am sure I have done it in the past, but I do try very hard not to do it, especially on an anonymous message board...

But, keep being you and followin me around. I thoroughly enjoy it...
I try to diffuse tension with humor. I don't really follow you around. It's just that I've actually been reading most all that's been written, so that includes you. And I sort of have a bit of a photographic memory.

I understand that commenting about MSU vs Iowa is a bit of trigger for you. Yes, I did occasionally push that button---and I know I probably shouldn't-- attempting humor at your expense. I wish there was a way for that kind of comment not to bother you. Regardless, I promise I won't test it again. You can hold me to this vow.

God bless

But, I truly did not. There are many versions of the saying, but basically, "If you have to resort to name calling in an argument, you have already lost." I am not perfect, so I am sure I have done it in the past, but I do try very hard not to do it, especially on an anonymous message board...
Argument? That is said but it doesn't really play out in the real world, see 1/2 the world's population called women, lol. Seriously, rational yeah, but without the formal rules of debate in an argument with back and forth it can be effective. Scott Adams calls it a linguistic kill shot. But in what should be relatively polite conversation I'd keep it to a minimum.

So according to him, the reason he’s going there is so he can serve God, which he can’t do here, because we all know the Brand’s aren’t Christian’s, nor are guys like marrinelli, who walks around with a big God shirt on all the time. I guess God wants PSU to set a points record next year at nationals that will never be broken. If that’s the case, then yes, he is going there to serve God. A few years ago, PSU bullshit theme was they are the fun place to be, now their bullshit is they are Gods chosen program. The truth is, Carl is a stone cold killer with recruiting, who would sell his own mother for a dime if it helped him land a recruit. If you’re a wrestler there you better have eyes in your back, looking for the knife to come. Two people who are happy the way PSU’ s portal luck went this spring is Assad and Teske!

Nothing against Nagao, but I watched his decision announcement video and he probably said 15 times that he made the decision due to his "faith". Hard to follow that reasoning.

I'm not a religious person myself, but it comes across as extremely disingenuous/unrealistic to use "faith" as a reason for almost anything. I understand and can relate to the concept of deeply reflecting on an important decision and deciding based on what you think is the right choice morally/etc. Using "faith" as a reason for choosing PSU just seems like beating around the bush and being an incredibly indirect communicator. Why not give credit to PSU's wrestling success (which has nothing to do with any deities in my opinion)?

Who gives a crap if he is religious. Brands are pretty religious. Marinelli is quite religious. It doesn't really matter from a wrestling aspect. Not sure why you are hung up on that.

I have no problem with anyone who is religious. I think the criticism some of us are giving is the indirect communication and using "faith" as a cop-out to giving real, honest, direct answers.

I agree that Cael is an ice cold killer on the recruiting trail but it seems as if he does a pretty decent job of helping kids get to where they want to be while at Penn State. If he was selling recruits bags of shit, wouldn't that eventually come out? Because that's what your post seems to be saying...that he's doing something unscrupulous to get kids.

I ask this because I often consider it when people bad mouth Franklin and recruits always talking about "family." I'm not saying Franklin is a great coach but he's a pretty damn good recruiter and I've not heard boo about him being sleazy on the trail. That stuff generally has a way of getting out or causing a divided house.

The God thing does seem weird from some kids but I don't think Cael is jamming God down their throat or telling them what to say. In fact, it seems to be something a lot of kids from a lot of different programs are talking about. Didn't the N. Co. kid also refer to God?
You missed the point big time. I’m not saying Cael is tell the kid what to say at all, and if these kids are genuine Christian’s that great. I just find it hard to believe serving God was the main reason he chose PSU? If this is somehow true, what exactly is going on in your program ?? Has Cael and his coaches become evangelical ministers?? Second point was Cael will recruit over any blue chip recruit at any time, even if the kid hasn’t been in the program very long. He must have the ability to not get very close to many of these kids, so he can easily toss them aside easily. This is a great personality trait to have when being on top is your one and only goal. I think in the past TNT have been too loyal to many guys and should have recruited over them. I think they are finally realizing this, but may never have the personality type to do this as well as Cael.

Reactions: lookleft goright
You missed the point big time. I’m not saying Cael is tell the kid what to say at all, and if these kids are genuine Christian’s that great. I just find it hard to believe serving God was the main reason he chose PSU? If this is somehow true, what exactly is going on in your program ?? Has Cael and his coaches become evangelical ministers?? Second point was Cael will recruit over any blue chip recruit at any time, even if the kid hasn’t been in the program very long. He must have the ability to not get very close to many of these kids, so he can easily toss them aside easily. This is a great personality trait to have when being on top is your one and only goal. I think in the past TNT have been too loyal to many guys and should have recruited over them. I think they are finally realizing this, but may never have the personality type to do this as well as Cael.
Has Cael converted to Christianity?

There's gonna be some elite high school kids available now that he's at PSU.
Don't kid yourself, Carl (or Casey? I thought he was the recruiting guru) will still convince them to go to PSU
I am a season ticket holder, go to ncaa's most years. This past Christmas my kids top wishlist item was a psu wrestling singlet (which I of course bought him).
My kid would have been up for adoption ;) Did you tell him this isn't 2020, there's plenty of TP available now?
So when the chant goes up... "WE ARE" !!!........ do we respond by yelling " BOUGHT NOT TAUGHT " ....or do we respond with yelling " POACHED NOT COACHED " ??????????????
I think... oh forget it. Too many ideas I shouldn't say. Besides, name-calling denotes a weak mind.
Nothing against Nagao, but I watched his decision announcement video and he probably said 15 times that he made the decision due to his "faith". Hard to follow that reasoning.

I'm not a religious person myself, but it comes across as extremely disingenuous/unrealistic to use "faith" as a reason for almost anything. I understand and can relate to the concept of deeply reflecting on an important decision and deciding based on what you think is the right choice morally/etc. Using "faith" as a reason for choosing PSU just seems like beating around the bush and being an incredibly indirect communicator. Why not give credit to PSU's wrestling success (which has nothing to do with any deities in my opinion)?
The funny thing is, all these good Christians going to this school for their faith, and the last time I checked, two of their coaches belong to one of the biggest cults on the planet.
Has Cael converted to Christianity?
That might explain it. Maybe the Mormons threw him out because he didn't go on his mandatory two-year "Mission"

Reactions: bnicolls and xjohnx
There were several Iowa teams in the 80s and 90s which scored 160+ points at nationals. I’m sure it felt like there was no way that kind of dominance would end. But it did. Things can change today, too.
Then Gable retired. Cael likely around more years yet than Tom Brands.

Reactions: TNTwrestle
I always enjoyed the dance when Bo Nipples would speak of his faith and all Glory to the Guy above then he would wrestle..and usually beat a lesser opponent , BADLY and then talk all kind of shit and taunt him or act like it was a waste of his time to even have wrestled the guy... Much like the speech RBY gave after winning big Tens this year and blowing off that accomplishment as expected and unworthy of his time... ( before he got dismantled in the Finals) but yeah...all the attitude and all the trash talking and yet I've NEVER saw in any biblical teachings where Demeaning your opponent or trash talking them was something Christ may have practiced or encouraged..... I think Brooks is a legit Christian but some of the other Nittys are Christian when it suits them.

I didn't hear the commitment so I'll just move on from the religious part. It's a weird battle to fight though and I wonder if you also question Bull's motives.

In regards to recruiting over kids, it's sour grapes. We are long past the days of wringing our hands over a coach not being loyal. As long as Cael isn't making anyone any promises, then he can do whatever he likes. A kid can transfer at any point and, last I checked, Cael gets paid to graduate kids and win wrestling matches. You see the exact same thing in football every single year. Hard to believe that you would have a problem with Iowa recruiting the absolute best talent they could every single year.

Finally, who has this strategy hurt in your opinion? Beard? Teske? Nevills? These kids all know exactly what they are getting into when they commit. Doesn't seem to be coming back to bite PSU in the ass.

I've NEVER saw in any biblical teachings where Demeaning your opponent or trash talking them was something Christ may have practiced or encouraged...
I don't want to turn this into a biblical discussion but I'll give this bit of information since you brought up this exact topic. A similar type of talk was only practiced by Christ on the most insufferable hypocrites. Of course, His severe rebuke was totally noble.

Matthew 23:25–33 - 25“Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you clean the outside of the cup and of the dish, but inside they are full of robbery and self-indulgence. 26“You blind Pharisee, first clean the inside of the cup and of the dish, so that the outside of it may become clean also. 27 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs which on the outside appear beautiful, but inside they are full of dead men’s bones and all uncleanness. 28“Even so you too outwardly appear righteous to men, but inwardly you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness. 29 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you build the tombs of the prophets and adorn the monuments of the righteous, 30and say, ‘If we had been living in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partners with them in shedding the blood of the prophets.’ 31“Consequently you bear witness against yourselves, that you are sons of those who murdered the prophets. 32“Fill up then the measure of the guilt of your fathers. 33“You serpents, you brood of vipers, how shall you escape the sentence of hell?​

I agree that Cael is an ice cold killer on the recruiting trail but it seems as if he does a pretty decent job of helping kids get to where they want to be while at Penn State. If he was selling recruits bags of shit, wouldn't that eventually come out? Because that's what your post seems to be saying...that he's doing something unscrupulous to get kids.

I ask this because I often consider it when people bad mouth Franklin and recruits always talking about "family." I'm not saying Franklin is a great coach but he's a pretty damn good recruiter and I've not heard boo about him being sleazy on the trail. That stuff generally has a way of getting out or causing a divided house.

The God thing does seem weird from some kids but I don't think Cael is jamming God down their throat or telling them what to say. In fact, it seems to be something a lot of kids from a lot of different programs are talking about. Didn't the N. Co. kid also refer to God?
We even heard Carr speak that way. It is more common than you might think.

I spoke to an AA who said the reason he came to the school he went to was because the coach said a prayer before eating lunch. I personally know other kids who have decided which school to go to and a big part of the decision was the amount to which their faith would be supported and reciprocated.

We can tell by the reaction to some on this board when religion is mentioned. They have to hold their nose and bite their tongues. If a kid is faith oriented, he wants to be surrounded by like minded people. I do not think there is any difference between the depth of Cael's faith and the Brands Brothers, but for some reason Cael's wrestlers mention it more. There has to be a reason.

It surprises me, but it is pretty common among wrestlers to have a strong faith.

Last edited:
We even heard Carr speak that way. It is more common than you might think.

I spoke to an AA who said the reason he came to the school he went to was because the coach said a prayer before eating lunch. I personally know other kids who have decided which school to go to and a big part of the decision was the amount to which their faith would be supported and reciprocated.

We can tell by the reaction to some on this board when religion is mentioned. They have to hold their nose and bite their tongues. If a kid is faith oriented, he wants to be surrounded by like minded people. I do not think there is any difference between the depth of Cael's faith and the Brands Brothers, but for some reason Cael's wrestlers mention it more. There has to be a reason.

It surprises me, but it is pretty common among wrestlers to have a strong faith.
Some preach, some practice, some do both. It seems to me that Iowa is more about practicing than preaching. That is the more "PC" thing to do, especially considering you represent a Public University. However, it seems PSU has fostered this to a point where it no longer can be contained or they even try to.

Mind you, it may also show a lack of inclusivity by coming off as such a secular, God fearing program. PSU is doing so well, they have that luxury. But, does Iowa want to risk losing out on a big recruit because he isn't religious and doesn't want to go somewhere were it is so heavily indoctrinated?

I always enjoyed the dance when Bo Nipples would speak of his faith and all Glory to the Guy above then he would wrestle..and usually beat a lesser opponent , BADLY and then talk all kind of shit and taunt him or act like it was a waste of his time to even have wrestled the guy... Much like the speech RBY gave after winning big Tens this year and blowing off that accomplishment as expected and unworthy of his time... ( before he got dismantled in the Finals) but yeah...all the attitude and all the trash talking and yet I've NEVER saw in any biblical teachings where Demeaning your opponent or trash talking them was something Christ may have practiced or encouraged..... I think Brooks is a legit Christian but some of the other Nittys are Christian when it suits them.
Never noticed how Bo always extended a hand to help his opponent up after a fall or any win for that matter? It wasn’t always wanted, but was always there.

As I understand it, Bo lead a bible study group in college and met his wife at one such meeting.

He may be a trash talker, but I believe his faith to be real and not an act.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT