ADVERTISEMENT

AAU Coach: "I think Patrick is interested in seeing if there might be some other options out there."

Can not even believe this is a debate and does anyone really believe Pat will go anywhere than Iowa.

Reactions: DanL53
makes me wonder....as long as Fran is here, does Roy Williams have any shot at an Iowa prep star? After he struck out on Woody, has he been in the state of Iowa much since?

First off I think and hope he goes to Iowa. But all this over the top hand wringing if he doesn't is ridiculous. Some kids don't want to play for Dad. That doesn't make them bad. Do what's best for you kid.

First off I think and hope he goes to Iowa. But all this over the top hand wringing if he doesn't is ridiculous. Some kids don't want to play for Dad. That doesn't make them bad. Do what's best for you kid.
Bingo... at the same time Fran is going to want hi son to make the best desicion for himself. I think he ends up at Iowa but would not blame him one bit if he went elsewhere

Bingo... at the same time Fran is going to want hi son to make the best desicion for himself. I think he ends up at Iowa but would not blame him one bit if he went elsewhere

well of course Fran & Margaret want Patrick to make the decision. Just like Connor made his decision to redshirt (although I'm not convinced that is set in stone 100%)..

as far as Patrick 'other than his Barnstormer coach saying what he said' there have been no offers or offers to visit as near as I can tell...now there might be some at some point (I dont know) but to date...other than a letter from Arizona ...nothing.

One would think if Patrick has interest in looking around (even to take a sneak peek) we would or will see offers/visits. Until then...this is nothing more than speculation in part caused by the Barnstormer coaches comment.

It is up to Patrick when he commits. If he has a sense of humor..he would hold off for a little while just to keep people guessing. :confused: It is a slow period for basketball posting.

Last edited:
Well personally if Im Fran I let my son check out other schools. If he wants to go somewhere else to play, you have to support that decision. I have known children who didn't want to play for their dad or wanted to get out of "town" per say and play elsewhere. You can't fault that decision, he is going to be 17-18yrs old when he decides.

But on the other hand he has this option too:
He would get 5 "free" trips to visit some of the better schools in the nation. Not to mention can go and see what their facilities are like and come back to dad and say "look what they have that we do not." Then hopefully Fran can use that info to the Athletic Department.

Reactions: And1Hawk
Well personally if Im Fran I let my son check out other schools. If he wants to go somewhere else to play, you have to support that decision. I have known children who didn't want to play for their dad or wanted to get out of "town" per say and play elsewhere. You can't fault that decision, he is going to be 17-18yrs old when he decides.

But on the other hand he has this option too:
He would get 5 "free" trips to visit some of the better schools in the nation. Not to mention can go and see what their facilities are like and come back to dad and say "look what they have that we do not." Then hopefully Fran can use that info to the Athletic Department.

in general I agree however none of us are privy to the inside goings on of the McCaffery family ... could it be that Patrick feels it is better that he does play for his Dad? And wants to do just.. We just dont know.

I am hoping he plays for his dad! I want that kid in and Iowa uniform! I think he will be a solid player for us.

But if he chooses elsewhere I will still cheer for him!

Well can't blame the kid for looking elsewhere with so many dbag fans in the Iowa fan base posting crap that his brother Connor must walk-on and the ludicrous crap you know that Connor might get any time he plays. Fran is probably advising Patrick to take a scholly elsewhere to avoid the negative Iowa fan contingent.

Well can't blame the kid for looking elsewhere with so many dbag fans in the Iowa fan base posting crap that his brother Connor must walk-on and the ludicrous crap you know that Connor might get any time he plays. Fran is probably advising Patrick to take a scholly elsewhere to avoid the negative Iowa fan contingent.

where did Patrick say he was looking elsewhere?

Iowa fans aren't much different than other fan bases. Especially fans of the types of schools that would beat out Iowa for Patrick (UNC, Kentucky, etc)

I hope that's sarcasm. ;)

He did not say himself but the AAU camp is throwing it out there and it makes sense. We deserve what we get.

Until Patrick says it...or Fran says it.....the Barnstormers can throw all they want.

What doesnt make sense is (1) for Stephens to say it (2) to say it when there are zero reported offers. I didn't realize the "AAU camp" is part of the McCaffery camp.

Yeah, McCaffery is always ragging at the Iowa fanbase, isn't he?

He did not say himself but the AAU camp is throwing it out there and it makes sense. We deserve what we get.

having options is a good thing but so far Patrick only has an Arizona offer

things would have to go terribly wrong for Patrick to not end up a Hawkeye, imo

in the duplicate thread, the heading is that Patrick's recruiting is "blowing up;" umm, he only has one offer other than his dad's offer LOL

Considering all the players Iowa is recruiting for the 2019 class seem to consider playing with Patrick M. as one reason that makes Iowa is an attractive option, I am guessing he is a future Hawk.

Considering all the players Iowa is recruiting for the 2019 class seem to consider playing with Patrick M. as one reason that makes Iowa is an attractive option, I am guessing he is a future Hawk.

This seems the most likely explanation.

One letter from Arizona?? Maybe some of the mail disappears from the mailbox in Fran's house!!!

oops; i guess the Arizona letter was not an official offer but i wonder what it said?

from the artilce linked in the original post:

This kid’s recruitment is peculiar, to say the least.

Connor McCaffery’s was similar, but he committed to Iowa early his sophomore year. Patrick is still uncommitted. Arizona sent him a letter last year, but nothing since. Iowa's his only offer. Other schools are left in a bit of limbo: He's on target to be a potential McDonald's All-American down the line, but he's also a coach's kid, so should they even bother?

I suspect the reason he is still open is bc when he gets big time offers it can be used in the recruiting process.

"Yeah the coaches kid is on the team but he also had offers from Duke, UNC, Zona, Kansas and he is just one piece of putting together a championship roster...JoeW is another piece, and you could be that next piece..."

The whole "Red Shirting" Connor creating a side benefit of being able to have another year to play together (which every McCaffery has stated at one point) kind of tells everyone listening that PM is going to Iowa 100%.

Wait, are there people really thinking there is a chance Pat doesn't go to Iowa? The only way Pat doesn't go to Iowa is if Fran isn't in Iowa City when Pat graduates from HS.

Imo it is important to remember what keeping options open means. He'd like to keep his options open. o_O We can read between the lines all we want but all we'll end up with is blurry vision. Patrick will be a Hawkeye. I do not have even a .00001 percent of doubt.

But, for fun if we want to speculate.

1) Patrick has been trying to get the message to other schools that he'd like to hear about interest from them for a while now. Stephenson may have Patrick's permission to repeat that sentiment. It's probably just a little idle curiosity that a kid gets. All high school kids like to get offers, by the way.

2) If Patrick visited another school, I can well imagine the conversations with other recruits. :rolleyes: "You know what that coach just said? He's full of #$%$! I have grown up around a college basketball program and they are NOT (insert lie)."

3) Inserting non-speculation here. When being recruited coaches are your best buddy until you commit and show up for practice. Then, you find out what it really is all about! Now go back and read #2 again. Repeat until the realization that a smart coach might let Patrick visit...when no other recruits were around!

4) Why commit? Look at Conner. An official offer and that means scholarship as there was never anything about redshirting. He commits. Now, he's a redshirt. Why go through all that again? Patrick's coming to Iowa, the rest might as well be left open.

5) Speaking of growing up a coaches kid. Patrick has also grown up a Hawkeye, and he is very well..more than acquainted...with the team.

Conclusion.......way too many reasons why it makes sense Patrick would like to hear from other schools. The problem is that up to now they aren't buying it. He's known to get along with other kids and can be a great recruiter himself for Iowa. If I were a coach at another school, I'd appreciate the situation and encourage my biggest opponents to spend their time recruiting this Iowa kid.

I think people are just making too big of a deal out of it. It's possible Patrick will take a few official/unofficial visits to other schools, but is anyone really worried?

Sure he's a top 25 talent now by some analysts, but that doesn't mean he will stay there. My guess is that he will end up being ranked in the top 100....but above 50.

I think people are just making too big of a deal out of it. It's possible Patrick will take a few official/unofficial visits to other schools, but is anyone really worried?

Sure he's a top 25 talent now by some analysts, but that doesn't mean he will stay there. My guess is that he will end up being ranked in the top 100....but above 50.

So....top 50? :D

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT