ADVERTISEMENT

Alrighty - What Exactly Will It Take To Get Iowa State back in the Top 5?

I will be worried when our back-ups wouldn't score more points at nationals than ISU's varsity as coached by the dream team.

Reactions: T8KUDWN
That could be said for any fan base :) I get it with the anti Iowa stuff on their board but the same could be said for a few on this board. In my opinion, you guys have way too many positives going on right now to worry about what’s happening on an ISU board.
I don't speak for anyone but myself, but I enjoy making fun and cracking jokes about their sorry ass program.:p

And by any measure... it's been pretty pathetic since Carl's recruits left.

Reactions: T8KUDWN
most of the things they say are anti-iowa not pro ist
I'm quoting this, but it's directed @ Rasslin...I don't know how long you've read this forum, but want to guess how this site got labeled as "THE CESSPOOL"?

Reactions: wasdt21
I’m thinking Nelson Brands will end up turning that ISU program around when he’s ready...

Any new potential recruit names that ISU fans are throwing around that will bring them back to relevance?

I'm guessing Facundo... you know... since he's from the same area as Metcalf.

Another "swing and miss" for Dresser. Ridge Lovett to Nebby.

Stole that tidbit from Gopher forum .

Mitch - they didn't want him because he is already at his ceiling and such and such ISU wrestler who they have is better and he will end up at Grandview anyway. You know the deal. The dream team never misses on a recruit they really want. You know, they don't need Abe, Schultz, Teske and Ridge. They are already stacked at those weights with better wrestlers. So they really aren't misses by the dream team. The staff was just being nice offering them full rides with spots open but didn't really want or need them.

Reactions: MitchL
I don't think the rebuild was expected to be quite this slow by the fans. It looks to me like Dresser is going to need to hunt for some transfers because the elite high school kids aren't buying what he's selling.

Shocked this is still going. Not even sure if I've replied but just in case I didn't:

More than a decade. Just don't see it happening. Nothing there (including our ex Hawkeyes) to get excited about, NOTHING.

Shocked this is still going. Not even sure if I've replied but just in case I didn't:

More than a decade. Just don't see it happening. Nothing there (including our ex Hawkeyes) to get excited about, NOTHING.
This is very true. Until the program cracks the top 15 or so, it's not a viable destination for top guys. And the top guys are the only way to get there.
Quite the dilemma. Just do what they did to baseball.

I don't want to rain on your we hate ISU parade but Ryan Anderson and David Carr are two nice blue chip recruits for ISU. I believe it was Dan Gable that said it takes 7 years to fully build your program. Look at Chris Bono... He wasn't able to turn SDSU into what it is today after a year and half. He was there for 7 years. I'm sure he missed on plenty of recruits during that time but by the end he was bringing in some good recruits. Dresser is going to get time and I'm sure he'll do just fine.

Times have changed. You really think big $$$ boosters have the patience to wait that long for a ROI? Dresser has, at most, 4 years. And that's for a top 5. Unless a program is top 10, he won't consistently get the best guys. They have been irrelevant so long that too many other programs have left them in the dust.

I don't want to rain on your we hate ISU parade but Ryan Anderson and David Carr are two nice blue chip recruits for ISU. I believe it was Dan Gable that said it takes 7 years to fully build your program. Look at Chris Bono... He wasn't able to turn SDSU into what it is today after a year and half. He was there for 7 years. I'm sure he missed on plenty of recruits during that time but by the end he was bringing in some good recruits. Dresser is going to get time and I'm sure he'll do just fine.
I agree that Carr is a nice pick-up. Anderson as a nice pick-up remains to be seen on how he will fare in College. As far as time; I agree that most coaches are given 4-5 years to make it their team, but when you hire and pay for the "Dream Team" expectations understandably go up and the timeline for expectations for, at least, a top ten finish get ratcheted up as well. The ISU Administration made a significant investment to hire a "Dream Team" and that "Dream Team" gets the expectations that comes with that level of commitment.

After all, they do call themselves the DREAM TEAM as a coaching staff.

I agree that Carr is a nice pick-up. Anderson as a nice pick-up remains to be seen on how he will fare in College. As far as time; I agree that most coaches are given 4-5 years to make it their team, but when you hire and pay for the "Dream Team" expectations understandably go up and the timeline for expectations for, at least, a top ten finish get ratcheted up as well. The ISU Administration made a significant investment to hire a "Dream Team" and that "Dream Team" gets the expectations that comes with that level of commitment.

After all, they do call themselves the DREAM TEAM as a coaching staff.
So what are the administration's expectations and what timeline are they giving?

Wait a second. You hire that "dream team" staff and also hire your best recruit's Dad to cement the commitment and you want 7 years to get to South Dakota St.'s level? Are you serious?! Wow. Way worse than I ever imagined for the Clowns.

They can easily get 2-3 AAs this year. That's top 15!
Depends...Let's start here...Miklus 4-6, Gomez 7-8, Degen 5-8.
Those guys aren't exactly bonus points machines . That's a fringe top 15. Best case
I bet 6 months from now, you'll be saying the same thing many Clone fans are saying. .."Damn, that MitchL is a hateful prick, but he knows his shit".:p.

Last edited:
Wait a second. You hire that "dream team" staff and also hire your best recruit's Dad to cement the commitment and you want 7 years to get to South Dakota St.'s level? Are you serious?! Wow. Way worse than I ever imagined for the Clowns.
I don't want anything. I'm not a ISU fan. It doesn't matter what kind of coaches you bring in, it's going to take time. They showed improvement last year and I'm willing to bet they make even more improvement this year. For some weird reason you guys get off on ISU failing but they are improving no matter how you spin it.

Reactions: tigerguy_
Those guys aren't exactly bonus points machines . That's a fringe top 15. Best case
I bet 6 months from now, you'll be saying the same thing many Clone fans are saying. .."Damn, that MitchL is a hateful prick, but he knows his shit".:p.
Don't they have Marcis
Marcus Coleman will AA!

I don't have anything against ISU. I think a stronger ISU is good for the sport, but I do have something against how Dresser acts and talks about the Hawkeyes. His whole DREAM TEAM marketing campaign is also an expectation he set, so now he can live with it. I would be a more supportive ISU fan with a different coach at the helm.

Rassling - I don't dispute the improvement but that isn't saying much. Didn't they get like 1/2 point at nationals recently? I surely don't wish ill will on the kids or really the coaches. Hell, the coaches have to make Iowa comments look at their AD. It is the miserable fan base ISU has in all sports that drives my disdain. And to be clear, not all fans but a large majority would rather see Iowa lose than ISU win and the vitriol with which their fans are towards Iowa is borderline sickening. Being in Ankeny, spend 10 minutes at a bar on the north side and get back to me on whether you want ISU to succeed in anything. Seriously, the hated for all things Iowa is sick. Hell look at their boards. Calling out kids, calling Ferentz a racist, crap that I thought fans only down south did honestly. So I only revel in their failures due to their fans as I have seen them firsthand. I know all fanbases have their fair share of idiots, but ISU has certifiable psychos when it comes to Iowa and a lot of them.

And Rassling I really like your contributions to the board so feel free to call me out if I go off the reservation which has been known to happen once or twice! One obvious comment is that we need the season to start. Helps people well at least me focus on actual Hawk wrestling and a lot of the tangential banter goes by the wayside.

I don't want anything. I'm not a ISU fan. It doesn't matter what kind of coaches you bring in, it's going to take time. They showed improvement last year and I'm willing to bet they make even more improvement this year. For some weird reason you guys get off on ISU failing but they are improving no matter how you spin it.

Curious...who do you root for?

I know wrestling or my name ain't Wrassler! I love Iowa State. Old school tradition with those red robes. They have 40 guys on their roster. They will be top 15! We need Iowa State ranked high and back in the thick of things. I just took at look at each guy on the roster. Pretty deep team. Not sure about 25 and 41. Otherwise, very solid and definitely top 20 team. They can do it. Dresser is classy. Just sayin!

Last edited:
Cyclonefanatic is where you need to be.

Come on guys, while the OP's question of top 5 might be a while out still, the top 15 could happen as soon as next year. 35 points isn't that much. I realize they are only returning Degan's 3 team points, but the cupboard was left pretty bare and what was left by Jackson was either pushed out the door or ran for it. So, Dresser really had to start from basically nothing and build a roster, not just a starting lineup, but a roster. The only team points at NCAA were scored by a Freshmen that came with Dresser from Virginia Tech. Degan is Dresser's Metcalf!! hahaha.

To that regard I think Dresser has actually done a pretty good job thus far. He has brought in at least one blue chip recruit each recruiting class, along with a handful of top 75 type recruits, and another dozen or so long shots.

Last year they punted, now we will see the redshirted freshmen Gomez, Alex Mackall, Marcus Coleman, Ryan Leisure, and Ethan Anderson come into play. All will be significant upgrades at their weights in my opinion.

We also of course see the big transfer, 3X All American, Willie Milkus comes home to bring some legit NCAA experience and scoring potential to the Cyclones lineup in dire need of both.

Todd Small, a 2 time Junior College National Champion also transferred in and will compete for a spot in the lineup. He is very under the radar.

Then, their incoming recruits, which will most likely all redshirt, even though David Carr could step in right away and AA in my opinion. I think if he stays healthy he will win 2 NCAA Titles and has the potential for even more, that's my conservative prediction. I had him as my #2 overall recruit, only behind the freak in Minnesota. I don't know if Iowa fans know just how good this kid is.

Joel Shapiro, whose stock just keeps going up. He could probably contribute and maybe even be a full time starter if the cut down to 184 doesn't go too well for Colbray. Apparently, 184 is what Colbray has wanted for awhile. So, now he will have to actually make the weight and wrestle well. He has competed at 189 pounds the last two summers, so I suspect the cut will be not too difficult. He could be really productive now at his ideal weight.

Francis Duggan- Another 220 State Champ to add to the mix. 197 or Heavy? I don't know.

Homegrown Iowa Recruits- Hunter DeJong, Issac Judge, Grant Stotts, Anthony Sherry, Zane Mulder, Logan Schumaker, Brandon Tessau

Out of State Recruits:
Corey Cabanban- 4 Time State Champ from Hawaii.
Charlie Klepps- 4 Time State Champ from Montana
Noah Nemer- State Champ and four time State Placerwinner from Kansas.
Tyler Buesgens-Minnesota two time placer, add to the heavyweight mix.

Then of course the aforementioned...

David Carr- #3 overall recruit, 5 time State Champ, 1 in 8th grade in Kentucky, then 4 in Ohio.

So my projected lineup:
125- Mackall- #71 overall recruit in 2017. Ohio State Champ with some big time wins to his name, such as over Yanni Diakomihalis, Alan Hart, JD Stickley, LJ Bentley, and Tariq Wilson back in High School, so there is some legit pedigree there. He was also undefeated at 125 in his redshirt season.

133- Gomez- #11 overall recruit. You expect results from someone ranked that high. That is the same rank as KemDawg as a recruit I believe.

141- Parker- The guy beat Austin Desanto last season at 133, then following Storr's transfer he bumped up to 141 to get Simmons into the lineup at 133. His first weekend he beat #1 ranked, 2 time NCAA champ, Dean Heil and the tough Mike Longo. But was hurt and didn't wrestle for two months basically and then returned, but was clearly not 100% and didn't win another match of consequence. He could be a bright spot in the lineup this year if healthy, which by all accounts he now is.

149- Degan- Transferred with Dresser from VT. I joke that he is Dresser's Metcalf, but really he is. He went 3-2 at NCAA's last year, scoring all of ISU's team points and made it to the bloodround. That is not bad for a Freshmen who was not a big time recruit. He should only continue to improve.

157- Straw- This is a weak spot and will be hard for Dresser to keep Carr on the bench here.

165- St. John- I will let the Hawkeye faithful fill in this comment section...

174- Colemon- Everyone raves about this kid's potential. He had a great redshirt season. He isn't in Kemdawg's league, that is for sure, but where he is going to fall in the peaking order at this tough weight I truly have no idea.

184- Colbray- I think we finally see the breakout of this high school stud recruit finally down at his ideal weight.

197- Milkus- 3 time AA says it all.

Hvy- Anderson- Transferring back home from Oklahoma State will get him in the right state of mind to produce some quality results.

That is a lineup that could be top 15 as soon as this season if they start Carr instead of redshirt him. However is the top 5 is the goal than the redshirt has to stay on because that is going to take longer.

Reactions: Flying_Tiger
Come on guys, while the OP's question of top 5 might be a while out still, the top 15 could happen as soon as next year. 35 points isn't that much. I realize they are only returning Degan's 3 team points, but the cupboard was left pretty bare and what was left by Jackson was either pushed out the door or ran for it. So, Dresser really had to start from basically nothing and build a roster, not just a starting lineup, but a roster. The only team points at NCAA were scored by a Freshmen that came with Dresser from Virginia Tech. Degan is Dresser's Metcalf!! hahaha.

To that regard I think Dresser has actually done a pretty good job thus far. He has brought in at least one blue chip recruit each recruiting class, along with a handful of top 75 type recruits, and another dozen or so long shots.

Last year they punted, now we will see the redshirted freshmen Gomez, Alex Mackall, Marcus Coleman, Ryan Leisure, and Ethan Anderson come into play. All will be significant upgrades at their weights in my opinion.

We also of course see the big transfer, 3X All American, Willie Milkus comes home to bring some legit NCAA experience and scoring potential to the Cyclones lineup in dire need of both.

Todd Small, a 2 time Junior College National Champion also transferred in and will compete for a spot in the lineup. He is very under the radar.

Then, their incoming recruits, which will most likely all redshirt, even though David Carr could step in right away and AA in my opinion. I think if he stays healthy he will win 2 NCAA Titles and has the potential for even more, that's my conservative prediction. I had him as my #2 overall recruit, only behind the freak in Minnesota. I don't know if Iowa fans know just how good this kid is.

Joel Shapiro, whose stock just keeps going up. He could probably contribute and maybe even be a full time starter if the cut down to 184 doesn't go too well for Colbray. Apparently, 184 is what Colbray has wanted for awhile. So, now he will have to actually make the weight and wrestle well. He has competed at 189 pounds the last two summers, so I suspect the cut will be not too difficult. He could be really productive now at his ideal weight.

Francis Duggan- Another 220 State Champ to add to the mix. 197 or Heavy? I don't know.

Homegrown Iowa Recruits- Hunter DeJong, Issac Judge, Grant Stotts, Anthony Sherry, Zane Mulder, Logan Schumaker, Brandon Tessau

Out of State Recruits:

David Carr- #3 overall recruit, 5 time State Champ, 1 in 8th grade in Kentucky, then 4 in Ohio.

So my projected lineup:
125- Mackall- #71 overall recruit in 2017. Ohio State Champ with some big time wins to his name, such as over Yanni Diakomihalis, Alan Hart, JD Stickley, LJ Bentley, and Tariq Wilson back in High School, so there is some legit pedigree there. He was also undefeated at 125 in his redshirt season.

133- Gomez- #11 overall recruit. You expect results from someone ranked that high. That is the same rank as KemDawg as a recruit I believe.

141- Parker- The guy beat Austin Desanto last season at 133, then following Storr's transfer he bumped up to 141 to get Simmons into the lineup at 133. His first weekend he beat #1 ranked, 2 time NCAA champ, Dean Heil and the tough Mike Longo. But was hurt and didn't wrestle for two months basically and then returned, but was clearly not 100% and didn't win another match of consequence. He could be a bright spot in the lineup this year if healthy, which by all accounts he now is.

149- Degan- Transferred with Dresser from VT. I joke that he is Dresser's Metcalf, but really he is. He went 3-2 at NCAA's last year, scoring all of ISU's team points and made it to the bloodround. That is not bad for a Freshmen who was not a big time recruit. He should only continue to improve.

157- Straw- This is a weak spot and will be hard for Dresser to keep Carr on the bench here.

174- Colemon- Everyone raves about this kid's potential. He had a great redshirt season. He isn't in Kemdawg's league, that is for sure, but where he is going to fall in the peaking order at this tough weight I truly have no idea.

184- Colbray- I think we finally see the breakout of this high school stud recruit finally down at his ideal weight.

Hvy- Anderson- Transferring back home from Oklahoma State will get him in the right state of mind to produce some quality results.

That is a lineup that could be top 15 as soon as this season if they start Carr instead of redshirt him. However is the top 5 is the goal than the redshirt has to stay on because that is going to take longer.
I'd wrestle Carr for sure.

Out of State Recruits:

So my projected lineup:

Sounds like the writeup from media day. That is an absolute "best case" scenario and everyone knows those never happen .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT