ADVERTISEMENT

Alrighty - What Exactly Will It Take To Get Iowa State back in the Top 5?

Fair enough Spooner for sure on Anderson. Reeves I kind of forgot but not as high on him. I do know they went all in on Teske, Schultz and Assad and three strikes means you are out. There are others but those 3 were the main targets with the money and spots available to start right away and laid the big goose egg. Hell if top 20 or even top 15 is the goal and their "dream team" of coaches gets them there great.

giphy.gif

^^This kid's parents have him in the wrong "sport" . . . no way anyone converts a low single on him.

The RTC landscape has changed recruiting almost overnight. Without a viable RTC, they will have a very difficult time landing top recruits. However, if they can develop what they do have, the changes will become apparent and they will be respectable and top ten again. Never underestimate the power of determination and hard work. Their staff will get it done or at least I have faith in them. Winning national titles - eh maybe not.
Someone on CF said they only have two athletes at the CRTC. Raising $$$ to improve that is a huge undertaking. And it won't get much better if they don't improve on the mat results.

Division 1 wrestling teams aren't really relevant unless you continually finish top 12 or better, imo. Even the Gophers are struggling to reach that level and the conditions at ISU are considerably worse than Minnesota.

The outlook at ISU hinges on two wrestlers... Carr and Gomez.

Reactions: T8KUDWN
I agree Mitch on Carr and Gomez. And not sure on the money, but hiring Carr's Dad was beyond stupid unless it would attract recruits from Ohio. I am sure he is a very good coach, but recruits are thinking "who" is this coach and "why" are there only a couple kids in the club? I do think ISU will get better, but what does that mean? Finishing 12th for a once proud program? Improvement yes but not exactly "a storm brewing." I know it takes a little time, but with the "dream team" it shouldn't be too long. I mean Va Tech and NC St turned around pretty quick and don't have the ISU history.

Someone on CF said they only have two athletes at the CRTC. Raising $$$ to improve that is a huge undertaking. And it won't get much better if they don't improve on the mat results.

Division 1 wrestling teams aren't really relevant unless you continually finish top 12 or better, imo. Even the Gophers are struggling to reach that level and the conditions at ISU are considerably worse than Minnesota.

The outlook at ISU hinges on two wrestlers... Carr and Gomez.

I'd throw Ryan Anderson in there as well. In two years they should have those 3 plus a number of other top 40-100ish
types like Ethan Andersen, Cobray, Coleman, Degan and Shapiro in the lineup. Not sure they will be or need to be top 5 to show true progress but certainly a strong top 10 is an expectation.

ISU has a ways to go to catch SDSU and UNI. I guess I am not seeing what you are.

ISU has a ways to go to catch SDSU and UNI. I guess I am not seeing what you are.

I made no prediction. It was analysis only. With 3 blue chippers and a number of other good recruits in their lineup, 2020-2021 is huge for the Dresser era.

I gotta see how Gomez does before predicting the 20/21 season. There's not much talent in the room for workout partners and that's how you get better.
Also, giving Dresser 4 years to become competitive is really being generous, imo

I gotta see how Gomez does before predicting the 20/21 season. There's not much talent in the room for workout partners and that's how you get better.
Also, giving Dresser 4 years to become competitive is really being generous, imo

That's not the only way to get better.

4 years is a very reasonable to take a team from .5 points into the top 10.

Once again that isn't a prediction. They might fall on their face. They might not. But on paper that will be their best team of the Dresser era. It will be a huge measuring stick for that staff.

It will be interesting to watch for the next few years.

That's not the only way to get better.

4 years is a very reasonable to take a team from .5 points into the top 10.

Once again that isn't a prediction. They might fall on their face. They might not. But on paper that will be their best team of the Dresser era. It will be a huge measuring stick for that staff.

It will be interesting to watch for the next few years.
I agree with your prediction, Spooner...ISU will be top 10 in 4 years. Take it to the bank, Mitch!

Reactions: SPOONER
I agree with your prediction, Spooner...ISU will be top 10 in 4 years. Take it to the bank, Mitch!
I hope they are. Iowa State being better actually helps both programs in my opinion, and for damn sure it helps fans in the State of Iowa.

Iowa clearly owns the dual series, but many of those were in doubt with a couple of matches to go. That is great for fans of wrestling in Iowa and beyond. Many of those duals were a must see event for a College Wrestling fan.

Duals are better, Midlands is better, NCAA's are better when a strong Iowa State program is in the mix. Somebody from Ohio or Wyoming probably doesn't care, but as a born and need Iowan, this is no-brainer stuff for me.

Oklahoma and Okie State fans probably have similar feelings I would surmise. The Bedlam series is a shell of its former self, and that's a shame IMO.

They are Tier 3 right now. They MIGHT be TIER 2 in four years . Too many schools have left them in the dust and those schools aren't going anywhere. Schools like NCST, ASU, Mich, Missouri , Iowa , PSU, tOSU, OSU, Cornell, and SDSU. That's 10 right there and I'd add Minnesota and even Wisky, now that Bono has greater visibility.
Yeah, you might reconsider your prediction.

Reactions: Gobblin
How the language has changed since the original announcement of the Dream Team and Dresser's press conference when he said "we're not worrying about Iowa we're worried about beating Penn State and winning a national title" etc., etc., etc., and on the forums they were saying Iowa would be the second best team in the state in a short period of time or in a couple of years.... Ironically, ISU should have money to spend and given the roster departures should be making huge splashes in recruiting. They were also supposedly successful raising money for the RTC, yet we haven't seen much movement or growth in the ISU RTC, despite a full-time coach.

Since the dream team has been hired at ISU, Iowa has crowned a true freshman national champ, finished 3rd in the nation as a team with 9 of those wrestlers returning for this year and keep in mind that we will only have one senior in this year's starting line-up. Also, in the last year Iowa has arguably gotten transfers and/or commitments from more quality wrestlers than any other program in the nation and has a large and active roster of RTC members that have been competing nationally and internationally and they have raised millions of dollars for a new facility. Oh, how the language has changed...and the shine on the dream team is losing some of its glimmer. I'm not saying ISU is not improving, it is, but the the expectations are becoming more realistic then they were when Dresser announced the dream team. I wonder how many of those dream team posters they have left that they printed touting the dream team coaching staff?

Reactions: T8KUDWN and MitchL
How the language has changed since the original announcement of the Dream Team and Dresser's press conference when he said "we're not worrying about Iowa we're worried about beating Penn State and winning a national title" etc., etc., etc., and on the forums they were saying Iowa would be the second best team in the state in a short period of time or in a couple of years.... Ironically, ISU should have money to spend and given the roster departures should be making huge splashes in recruiting. They were also supposedly successful raising money for the RTC, yet we haven't seen much movement or growth in the ISU RTC, despite a full-time coach.

Since the dream team has been hired at ISU, Iowa has crowned a true freshman national champ, finished 3rd in the nation as a team with 9 of those wrestlers returning for this year and keep in mind that we will only have one senior in this year's starting line-up. Also, in the last year Iowa has arguably gotten transfers and/or commitments from more quality wrestlers than any other program in the nation and has a large and active roster of RTC members that have been competing nationally and internationally and they have raised millions of dollars for a new facility. Oh, how the language has changed...and the shine on the dream team is losing some of its glimmer. I'm not saying ISU is not improving, it is, but the the expectations are becoming more realistic then they were when Dresser announced the dream team. I wonder how many of those dream team posters they have left that they printed touting the dream team coaching staff?

It was a cash grab... Kudos to Dresser for marking Pollard, getting filthy rich, and sharing the wealth with some good dudes.

Last edited:
Dresser conned Pollard when he realized how desperate ISU was. One elite recruit per year isn't getting it done.
Dresser isn't a young man. I think there's a realistic chance he retires in the next 5 years.

Pollard is smart. ISU fans care about one thing and one thing only. Iowa. Hence Pollard always referencing Iowa and putting billboards up in Eastern Iowa. He knows a large percentage of his fan base cares more about Iowa losing than ISU winning. So he pokes the bear. And nothing like hiring a group of former Iowa wrestlers to coach his team to fire up their fan base. He doesn't care if they win or lose so long as they grab attention as it relates to Iowa within the State. Pollard is a cross country sports guy who is a master salesman and his pitch always deals with Iowa and their fan base eats it up as little brothers are apt to do.

Well, Dresser is taking ISU back to the Southern Scuffle this year . . . where PSU is the team to beat. At least he's giving his team the opportunity to wrestle them, which is not inconsistent with the notion that PSU is their target.

Well, Dresser is taking ISU back to the Southern Scuffle this year . . . where PSU is the team to beat. At least he's giving his team the opportunity to wrestle them, which is not inconsistent with the notion that PSU is their target.
More than likely he's avoiding Iowa @Midlands.

Reactions: T8KUDWN
They are Tier 3 right now. They MIGHT be TIER 2 in four years . Too many schools have left them in the dust and those schools aren't going anywhere. Schools like NCST, ASU, Mich, Missouri , Iowa , PSU, tOSU, OSU, Cornell, and SDSU. That's 10 right there and I'd add Minnesota and even Wisky, now that Bono has greater visibility.

AF's joke was so good you didn't see it going over your head.

Reactions: crablegs1
Mitch - that makes no sense. Why wouldn't the dream team want to show all the improvement between the Iowa dual and the end of the same month at Midlands? I wonder when they lose the dual to us if their program and fans will take a page from football with the excuses. You know, we didn't have enough meets before the Iowa meet, it's Iowa's Super Bowl, we were saving our best effort and game plan for the Big 12 conference duals, etc.

AF's joke was so good you didn't see it going over your head.
Don't care. I never miss a chance to point out how pathetic their program has become since Carl left. No championship since 1987 and barely competitive since KJ took over.

I knew you’d take the bait. Btw, how many tiers are there in D1 collegiate wrestling?

Reactions: PapaBearSLIM
Just checked CF wrestling posts. All I can say is Wow. Their posts in a nutshell are Schriever was always gonna be a Hawk, he has already hit his ceiling, he is another Sebolt, and Reeves is better anyway. And also didn't need Teske since Reeves is better than Teske and Teske will end up at Grandview. I thought their football fans were the most delusional, pathetic, uneducated, spiteful, sore loser fan base. All 7 ISU wrestling fans are giving their football fans a run for their little money in that category. I am sure when they lose to us on the mat, it will be like football to ISU fans and the excuses why they lost. Lack of enough duals before the Iowa dual, the meet is Iowa's Super Bowl and Iowa spends all offseason preparing for the ISU dual, they are really just prepping for the Big 12 and don't care about the Iowa dual since it's non-conference, and they got screwed by the refs. Well at least their entire little brother fan base regardless of sport doesn't disappoint and is consistent.

Reactions: T8KUDWN and MitchL
And anyone who dares to look at Clone wrestling objectively is ridiculed.
Quite entertaining and easy to see how a new coach gets about a five year pass before reality arrives.

Just checked CF wrestling posts. All I can say is Wow. Their posts in a nutshell are Schriever was always gonna be a Hawk, he has already hit his ceiling, he is another Sebolt, and Reeves is better anyway. And also didn't need Teske since Reeves is better than Teske and Teske will end up at Grandview. I thought their football fans were the most delusional, pathetic, uneducated, spiteful, sore loser fan base. All 7 ISU wrestling fans are giving their football fans a run for their little money in that category. I am sure when they lose to us on the mat, it will be like football to ISU fans and the excuses why they lost. Lack of enough duals before the Iowa dual, the meet is Iowa's Super Bowl and Iowa spends all offseason preparing for the ISU dual, they are really just prepping for the Big 12 and don't care about the Iowa dual since it's non-conference, and they got screwed by the refs. Well at least their entire little brother fan base regardless of sport doesn't disappoint and is consistent.
I find it funny that you get all butt hurt over ISU fans saying things that favor ISU on a ISU message board. What do you expect them to do?

Rassling - not butt hurt at all. Wasdt21 is right it isn't pro ISU it is anti-Iowa I was pointing out. Ripping Iowa and other non-ISU recruits when they go elsewhere. That was the point as well as the endless excuses of the pathetic fan base in all sports. Nope no butt hurt I think the opposite actually. I love seeing the dream team swing and miss as Iowa rolls.

Reactions: MitchL
Have at least a microcosm of thought based in reality...
That could be said for any fan base :) I get it with the anti Iowa stuff on their board but the same could be said for a few on this board. In my opinion, you guys have way too many positives going on right now to worry about what’s happening on an ISU board.

Reactions: wasdt21
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT