ADVERTISEMENT

Amarion Nimmers

What do you think? Possible walk on? Possible scholarship offer at some point? This kid has high D1 ups but no high D1 offers….just very interesting.
Yeah I don't fully get why he doesn't have other D1 offers. He certainly seems like he's good enough to play at least at a UNI/Depaul type level. I guess my one concern from watching his latest 7 minute Hudl video is his 3 point shooting form isn't the most consistent and he does this weird scissor kick motion with it (it causes him to do the splits at one point in the video). I'd also love for someone who's met him to chime in with how tall he actually is because I do question if he's actually 6'3--maybe the fro is adding a couple extra inches lol. All that being said, there's no denying that this kid is very athletic and seems like a natural scorer. I trust Fran's judgement with these types of things so if he offers a scholarship, I'm all in and if not that's okay too.

Video link:

Reactions: FanOHawk
What do you think? Possible walk on? Possible scholarship offer at some point? This kid has high D1 ups but no high D1 offers….just very interesting.
Illinois was hoping to keep him under the radar and get him as a preferred walkon. Not going to happen. Lol

Illinois has already given scholarships to three guards in the class: 5-star Skyy Clark, the top player in North Carolina Jayden Epps, and the top player in Ohio Sincere Harris.

In a normal year, Illinois would offer Nimmers. He’s really good. I think it’s Iowa or Northwestern for him if they offer. Collins has spent time recruiting him.

Illinois was hoping to keep him under the radar and get him as a preferred walkon. Not going to happen. Lol

Illinois has already given scholarships to three guards in the class: 5-star Skyy Clark, the top player in North Carolina Jayden Epps, and the top player in Ohio Sincere Harris.

In a normal year, Illinois would offer Nimmers. He’s really good. I think it’s Iowa or Northwestern for him if they offer. Collins has spent time recruiting him.
Thanks for passing that along!

Seems like an offer is a no-brainer. With free agency in college bball the "risk" involved with having a player like this on the roster is very low. If he can't cut it, he'll be somewhere else in a few years. But I think he'll be a contributor at the high major level. Bring him home Fran.

This evening (Monday) former Iowa assistant coach Billy Taylor was set to meet with him at his high school in his new role as the head coach at Elon.

Tomorrow (Tuesday), Nimmers is set to travel to Champaign for an unofficial visit to the University of Illinois.

The full story:

This evening (Monday) former Iowa assistant coach Billy Taylor was set to meet with him at his high school in his new role as the head coach at Elon.
Getting slow played by Elon is a strong indication that there is a major red flag somewhere in his recruiting profile. If there wasn't a major issue Taylor would have been at Nimmers' front door on one knee with a scholarship offer the same day he accepted the Elon job -- 7 Elon plyers are in the transfer portal.

On Thursday, April 21, it appears that this was the first anyone on here had heard of this kid.

Some questions for everyone:

* Was he ever discussed in the Lounge? If so, when?

* Can you think of a similar kid like this, who was completely off the radar for fans, who visited Iowa this late in the recruiting cycle? As mentioned above, fall classes start in 4 months!

Getting slow played by Elon is a strong indication that there is a major red flag somewhere in his recruiting profile. If there wasn't a major issue Taylor would have been at Nimmers' front door on one knee with a scholarship offer the same day he accepted the Elon job -- 7 Elon plyers are in the transfer portal.

I guess that's the thing, what are those red flags? i guess only the head coaches know.

@combes , do you have any insight on why he has only 1 low profile offer?

He looks smaller but he also looks like a very very bouncy and very very quick athlete. Has he had any injury issues?? Maybe Fran has someone he’s working on that checks more boxes than him.. But the kid is definitely explosive..

Nimmers would be a great walk-on and could possibly earn a scholarship, provided he improves his shooting % and mechanics, gets a stronger left hand, improves handles and perhaps grows to a legit 6'3". Would be a nice get as a preferred walk-on. Austin Ash used to give the starters fits as a scout team member. This kid could develop a similar role as well as having a big upside.

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
The only benefit to having so many empty schollies is to be able to pounce on special situations.
So if Fran offers---great, better than banking schollie.

I think it makes a lot more sense to take recruiting risks
on athletic players with runways to develop...Iowa tends to produce more skilled players/lacking
elite athleticism.
Agreed. The lack of offers suggests there's some sort of red flag. With 3 open schollies though I think we can take the risk. If it doesn't work out a year or two in, we can always cut bait and treat it the same as a carried over scholly. Not much to lose imo, unless Fran's actually identified 3 transfers he wants to bring in.

Reactions: WadeLookingbill
Connor would abuse him in the post depending on the format, and would force him to go left because he knows the scout on guys. Seems like 80% of the time Nimmers drives left he reverse spins right to finish right handed. Connor would know this. He's a heady basketball player. While he has a lot of flaws, only people with bias or ignorance of the details of the sport can't see what he brings (much of which doesn't show up in stats).

Not everything is athleticism. I'm sure he'd beat Connor in the open court but in a B10 game Connor is not guarding a 6'2" guy most of the time.

Why isn't the NBA offering CMAC since he is offering so much value? CMAC won't play overseas because he'd end up in Israel or Turkey barely making enough to pay his meals and the NBA doesn't want him other than a token G-league minimum wage white guy that gets a shot because his dad has some connections.

CMAC is a role player, a deep bench guy that plays hard and smart, but in end is not a very good basketball player despite the claims of some posters that he has the secret sauce that only they can see. If CMAC weren't the coach's son, he wouldn't play much and he certainly wouldn't spend 6 years on scholle at any of the Sweet16 schools---the type of basketball teams most of us wish we had, but don't.

Nimmers would be a great walk-on and could possibly earn a scholarship, provided he improves his shooting % and mechanics, gets a stronger left hand, improves handles and perhaps grows to a legit 6'3". Would be a nice get as a preferred walk-on. Austin Ash used to give the starters fits as a scout team member. This kid could develop a similar role as well as having a big upside.
He is not legit 6'3? I must have missed something

That Rock Island vs. Dubuque Hempstead game was never reported in the local Dubuque media or newspaper, not even the score. One of those holiday games that gets overlooked. I saw the score on a twitter post.

Reactions: Sheahawk
Watched two of his games last night on YouTube, against Moline, and Metamora. Watching his highlight tape, he looks like a four star player. But not when you watch him against good competition. I'd still like to see Iowa go after him. He is good, but I don't think he's a guy that would get minutes next year over Ulis or Bowen, but ya never know.

Reactions: Mitjacks
I trust Fran and his scouting. We are never going to get the 5 star guys, but he has a decent track record of finding under recruited guys and develop them into solid big ten players.
Fran will never pay kids like other NIL schools (cheaters who are now considered non-cheaters)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT