ADVERTISEMENT

Amarion Nimmers

“Off hand dribble”. Is that what you think it is for a guard in the Big Ten”. Both hands better be interchangeable or you won’t be playing and will be transferring back to a D3 program.
Although it's been awhile, Andre Woolridge was #2 in B1G MVP voting with one dominate hand. He could get wherever he wanted without being able to use both hands effectively.

How is Kingsbury paying instate tuition if he’s from Nebraska?
My bad. Last I heard they were living in Des Moines. I see they are living 20 miles northwest of Sioux City. It would suck if they had to pay triple tuition for those 20 miles.

Really excited about Nimmers based on what I've seen on film. He does mostly finish right handed and prefers that finish, but his left hand dribble isn't bad. So I think it's less about his left hand dribble and more about his left hand FINISH where he has a bias. Again, off limited film.

Anyone remembering Andre Woolridge knew that he was strongly biased to one side, but you still couldn't stop him from getting where he wanted to go. Nimmers isn't that strong, but he's pretty bouncy and I like his outside shooting stroke. He often has staggered feet on the release but it almost helps him get it off quicker because he's not caught trying to square them up.

It's too bad his school is in Illinois because I can't find his season stats on varsitybound (or anywhere else) to check his FT and 3PT%. Anyone in Illinois know if that is available somewhere?

Last edited:
Reactions: ROHawk 44
Really excited about Nimmers based on what I've seen on film. He does mostly finish right handed and prefers that finish, but his left hand dribble isn't bad. So I think it's less about his left hand dribble and more about his left hand FINISH where he has a bias. Again, off limited film.

Anyone remembering Andre Woolridge knew that he was strongly biased to one side, but you still couldn't stop him from getting where he wanted to go. Nimmers isn't that strong, but he's pretty bouncy and I like his outside shooting stroke. He often has staggered feet on the release but it almost helps him get it off quicker because he's not caught trying to square them up.

It's too bad his school is in Illinois because I can't find his season stats on varsitybound (or anywhere else) to check his FT and 3PT%. Anyone in Illinois know if that is available somewhere?
I see a poor man’s Donovan Mitchell if you’re making an NBA comp. Mitchell only uses the right but is athletic enough that it doesn’t really matter

Although it's been awhile, Andre Woolridge was #2 in B1G MVP voting with one dominate hand. He could get wherever he wanted without being able to use both hands effectively.
you know absolutely nothing it seems about Andre and showing it!

it’s about handling the ball and passing. Dre did finish with either hand but more importantly his cross over and going left was devastating. either hand dribbling and passing. no comparison here.

Reactions: AlvySinger
This is a very strange recruit. Good numbers at what I think is still a decent area. Very far under the radar.

I am surprised he didn't get some offers. Maybe hes under the radar like Tony Perkins and a name from my day Daryl Moore. Hope he can be a Cinderella story.

in the most recent Hawkeye Report podcast Kakert and Matt Randazzo discussed him

He averaged 24 ppg last season & was the Western Big 6 Player of the Year

Randazzo has seen him play in person & he says the video does not lie; he's super athletic, is a scorer, and can shoot it. And he's a good kid from a good family.

Matt thinks he's a Power 5 Div 1 basketball player. Matt says he's not a finished product but has a ton of upside.

After he visited Iowa, Elon paid him a visit and then he visited Illinois

Several things messed up his recruitment, where it appears he fell thru the cracks:

* Summer of 2020 (following his Soph year in HS):
The pandemic canceled the AAU Season

* Summer of 2021 (following his Junior year in HS): He was injured last spring (bad ankle). Also, for some reason, he did not get a lot of playing time the summer of 2021 AAU season, so the D-1 coaches literally were not able to see him play.

Last edited:
What’s being glossed over here is that Fran finally got a kid from the east side of the river in the QCA. I see that metro area (both sides) getting better as a (local) recruiting area for hoops. Recruiting preps is all about relationships and this will open doors in that area that weren’t as open previously if this recruit has success.

Thanks, didn’t realize that. Still, I take that as meaning he was more ready to contribute.

uh, no. Kingsbury was going to redshirt before the season began. That and he's paying in-state tuition. Laketa doesn't have that luxury.

Yeah, I don't think we can/should assume that just because Carter redshirted he was not ready to play or was not ready to contribute

And Luc only played garbage minutes as it was last season

Yeah, I don't think we can/should assume that just because Carter redshirted he was not ready to play or was not ready to contribute
Also, don't forget that Carter played a year of prep school at Brewster Academy, the same school that produced Dasonte Bowen, as well as current Hawkeye recruiting targets JP Estrella, Aaron Clark, Reid Ducharme, and Matas Buzelis. I've never been able to track down Carter's stats at Brewster, so I don't know how his production there stacked up; but I do know that you have to be pretty good at basketball to be able to join the Brewster program.

A lot of folks have opined that Iowa should look for a shooting guard in the portal, particularly someone who would be a strong 3-point threat. I don't disagree with that notion, but I've also wondered if we already have a pretty good candidate for that role in the form of Carter Kingsbury.

Between Carter and Nimmers, I think we have a couple of shooting guards who are as good as, or better, than three-fourths of the shooting guards in the portal.

Reactions: Franisdaman

And Luc only played garbage minutes as it was last season

The position was kind of full last season. This season there is literally no known depth behind Tony P.

Also, don't forget that Carter played a year of prep school at Brewster Academy, the same school that produced Dasonte Bowen, as well as current Hawkeye recruiting targets JP Estrella, Aaron Clark, Reid Ducharme, and Matas Buzelis. I've never been able to track down Carter's stats at Brewster, so I don't know how his production there stacked up; but I do know that you have to be pretty good at basketball to be able to join the Brewster program.

A lot of folks have opined that Iowa should look for a shooting guard in the portal, particularly someone who would be a strong 3-point threat. I don't disagree with that notion, but I've also wondered if we already have a pretty good candidate for that role in the form of Carter Kingsbury.

Between Carter and Nimmers, I think we have a couple of shooting guards who are as good as, or better, than three-fourths of the shooting guards in the portal.

His profile on the Iowa basketball site gives some info and stats about his high school career:
https://hawkeyesports.com/roster/carter-kingsbury/#:~:text=High School — All-time leading,78%), and 3-pointers

Here is a video from Brewster. Let's just say he shows Kingsbury form, he seems to be able to shoot it from deep with no issues: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qFLwpPQ0T0I&ved=2ahUKEwjymtOe0cb3AhXkHjQIHVL3AYA4ChC3AnoECB8QAg&usg=AOvVaw1EeJIrSzyHXjDALyJpz5ej

it’s about handling the ball and passing. Dre did finish with either hand but more importantly his cross over and going left was devastating. either hand dribbling and passing. no comparison here.
Yep, not saying his game is like Woolridge, only that you can be successful even with some bias to one side. Nimmers tries to overcome it by going hard to his left to get his guy to commit left and then return with his reverse spin in the middle of the lane and ability to elevate and finish one handed contested shots from the right side. Eventually he'll need to do that on the left side.

His profile on the Iowa basketball site gives some info and stats about his high school career:
https://hawkeyesports.com/roster/carter-kingsbury/#:~:text=High School — All-time leading,78%), and 3-pointers

Here is a video from Brewster. Let's just say he shows Kingsbury form, he seems to be able to shoot it from deep with no issues: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qFLwpPQ0T0I&ved=2ahUKEwjymtOe0cb3AhXkHjQIHVL3AYA4ChC3AnoECB8QAg&usg=AOvVaw1EeJIrSzyHXjDALyJpz5ej
That's more 3s that Connor McC has made in his career.

I could see Nimmers making an impact at some point. It's a good system for him.

Sorry, but no way he'll be as good as Moore. Nothing against Amarion, Moore was just that good. Darryl was still winning PTL MVP's in his 30's lol

This young man comes across as humble yet confident. I think he will be a good addition to Iowa in coming years. JMO FWIW

Reactions: bowlhawk
I'm not sure I understand the exact nature of this situation. We have open scholarships now, why not save his parents the out of state tuition and give him one? Did he make the same promise to Kingsbury, a player I haven't heard mentioned by McCaffery even once as far as how he has looked in practice? Even if McCaffery has big plans for the '23 class, he most likely promised him a scholarship next year anyway and we will have at least two more available with Connor and Rebraca graduating. I know we have Freeman coming in and hope to get Sandfort's younger brother, but unless Nimmers is a complete bust, I don't see the downside. Can someone tell me what I'm missing?

I'm not sure I understand the exact nature of this situation. We have open scholarships now, why not save his parents the out of state tuition and give him one? Did he make the same promise to Kingsbury, a player I haven't heard mentioned by McCaffery even once as far as how he has looked in practice? Even if McCaffery has big plans for the '23 class, he most likely promised him a scholarship next year anyway and we will have at least two more available with Connor and Rebraca graduating. I know we have Freeman coming in and hope to get Sandfort's younger brother, but unless Nimmers is a complete bust, I don't see the downside. Can someone tell me what I'm missing?
From my limited knowledge, based on what I have read or heard, it is possible that Fran puts him on scholarship. I think a lot depends on all the moving parts of recruiting, how he looks as they get to work with him more, etc.

I know we have Freeman coming in and hope to get Sandfort's younger brother, but unless Nimmers is a complete bust, I don't see the downside. Can someone tell me what I'm missing?
Spitballing here, but it seems like the lack of offers indicates concern about something. The Big10 generally views scholarship offers as 4 year commitments (insert Crean comment), so a one year preferred walk on status is a way to make sure he is a good fit academically, socially or whatever, before the multi year scholarship commitment. jmo

From my limited knowledge, based on what I have read or heard, it is possible that Fran puts him on scholarship. I think a lot depends on all the moving parts of recruiting, how he looks as they get to work with him more, etc.

Spitballing here, but it seems like the lack of offers indicates concern about something. The Big10 generally views scholarship offers as 4 year commitments (insert Crean comment), so a one year preferred walk on status is a way to make sure he is a good fit academically, socially or whatever, before the multi year scholarship commitment. jmo

As Ron mentioned, the staff is really high on the Class of 2023.

I think you are right that they want to make sure Nimmers is a good fit before they commit to him for 4 years.

As far as Carter goes, don't forget that he has 4 years eligibility remaining. IIRC, Fran stated that he would eventually put him on scholarship OR help him find a school that would put him on scholarship.

As I mentioned above, and has been discussed in other threads, covid really did a number on some of these 3 star kids, including Carter Kingsbury and Amarion Nimmers. Coaches simply were not able to see them play in person and evaluate them.

Recruiting is a big jig saw puzzle, too. We have 3 scholarships available RIGHT NOW for the 2023 class. Fran is targeting Pryce Sandfort and several others in the 2023 class.

2023-2024 Roster (10 on Scholarship; 3 scholarships available):

FRESHMEN: 1 player

6"10" C Owen Freeman

SOPHOMORES: 2 players

6'3" PG Dasonte Bowen

6'5" SG Josh Dix

JUNIORS: 2 players

6'7" F Payton Sandfort

6'11" C Riley Mulvey

SENIORS: 5 players

6'4" G Tony Perkins

6'2" G Ahron Ulis

6'8" F Kris Murray

6'9" SF Patrick McCaffery

6'11" C Josh Ogundele

Notable Walk on players:

2026 (when scheduled to graduate): 2 players

Carter Kingsbury--a 2021 6'5", 230 lb shooting guard; on July 10, 2021, it was announced he would be joining the roster as a preferred walk on. Carter ended up redshirting the 2021-2022 season so he is now scheduled to graduate in 2026.

Amarion Nimmers--a 2022 6'3" combo guard; on April 30, 2022, it was announced he would be joining the roster as a preferred walk on.

2025 (when scheduled to graduate): 1 player

Luc Laketa--a 2021 6'6" wing/forward; on May 13, 2021, it was announced he would be joining the roster as a preferred walk on.

Last edited:

I think you are right that they want to make sure Nimmers is a good fit before they commit to him for 4 years.

As far as Carter goes, don't forget that he has 4 years eligibility remaining. IIRC, Fran stated that he would eventually put him on scholarship OR help him find a school that would put him on scholarship.

As I mentioned above, and has been discussed in other threads, covid really did a number on some of these 3 star kids, including Carter Kingsbury and Amarion Nimmers. Coaches simply were not able to see them play in person and evaluate them.

Recruiting is a big jig saw puzzle, too. We have 4 scholarships available RIGHT NOW for the 2023 class. Fran is targeting Pryce Sandfort and several others in the 2023 class.

2023-2024 Roster (9 on Scholarship; 4 scholarships available):

6"10" C Owen Freeman

6'3" PG Dasonte Bowen

6'5" SG Josh Dix

6'7" F Payton Sandfort

6'11" C Riley Mulvey

SENIORS: 4 players

6'4" G Tony Perkins

6'2" G Ahron Ulis

6'8" F Kris Murray

Notable Walk on players:

Carter Kingsbury--a 2021 6'5", 230 lb shooting guard; on July 10, 2021, it was announced he would be joining the roster as a preferred walk on. Carter ended up redshirting the 2021-2022 season so he is now scheduled to graduate in 2026.

Amarion Nimmers--a 2022 6'3" combo guard; on April 30, 2022, it was announced he would be joining the roster as a preferred walk on.

Luc Laketa--a 2021 6'6" wing/forward; on May 13, 2021, it was announced he would be joining the roster as a preferred walk on.
Don’t forget Ogundele. 👍🏼😉

Recruiting is a big jig saw puzzle, too. We have 4 scholarships available RIGHT NOW for the 2023 class. Fran is targeting Pryce Sandfort and several others in the 2023 class.

2023-2024 Roster (9 on Scholarship; 4 scholarships available):

6"10" C Owen Freeman

6'3" PG Dasonte Bowen

6'5" SG Josh Dix

6'7" F Payton Sandfort

6'11" C Riley Mulvey

SENIORS: 4 players

6'4" G Tony Perkins

6'2" G Ahron Ulis

6'8" F Kris Murray

Notable Walk on players:

Also kind of a tricky thing to remember is that all 4 guys listed as seniors here + Ogundele would all still have their extra COVID year of eligibility remaining. So in theory, if Fran fills all of his scholarships for the '23 class you could have no spots for any '24 recruits (with the new transfer rule + Kris' NBA hopes this is unlikely).

I could be mistaken, but I don't think B1G schools can pull a scholarship once given. I think Darius Stokes and Austin Ash both knew they'd have to move on. after their scholarship season, if they wanted to play more college BBall. Another consideration is we already have 2 PWO's enrolled (Laketa and Kingsbury). How do they react if Nimmers gets a scholarship, and they don't?

RS by Carter K was smart. Gives him a year to train and gain some improved athleticism. He's obviously got Daddy's shot. If Ahmarian is actually a good shooter he will also have the chance for some time.

Aren't schollies renewed annually?

Reactions: perryhawk
I thought I read that if you get a scholly as a freshman, it can't be pulled. But if it is later, then it can be a one year thing. Which is why Patrick's can't be pulled but Connor can since he played baseball????? Something like that.

I thought I read that if you get a scholly as a freshman, it can't be pulled. But if it is later, then it can be a one year thing. Which is why Patrick's can't be pulled but Connor can since he played baseball????? Something like that.
You are confusing "pulled" with "accepting". Any player can choose to walk on and turn down their scholarship. And scholarships can be awarded a single year awards.

I love this kid I think he will be special. I hope some of you guys remember Darryl. Moore . he walk on and played a lot minutes. This kid is better.
I'm shocked Iowa got him as a walk-on. I understand he's not so great to his left, but going right, Nimmers is a 4*+ player. It won't surprise me a bit if he is a top 25 Big Ten player by his junior year.

ADVERTISEMENT