ADVERTISEMENT

Any HROTERs Homeschool Their Kids?

FYI, the home school parents are also paying the same taxes to support schools that non-home school parents do. In that sense, they have every right to use those facilities as anyone else does.
This. Were they allowed to opt out of taxes to support public schools, then I'd agree they shouldn't be allowed to do any of that stuff.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
Did for one year. First grade teacher was horrible with our first kid, didn't want second kid to go through that two years later, so home schooled both for one year. Went fine.

Reactions: BrianNole09
Homeschooling has become a religious badge to
those parents who believe in it. They are quick to
condemn the godless culture in which we live. As
a result they are actually a religious brain-washing
operation in their own home.

If parents want their children to have a religious
education, then they should send them to a Christian
school which is accredited with good academics.
The Roman Catholics, the Lutherans, and the Baptists
have a history of good Christian schools.

Weird, i feel the same way about "doctors"

I agree. People shouldn't try to diagnose and treat themselves or their children, or seek out medical care from someone who didn't attend medical school or NP/PA school.

I don't home school but this would be my reason #1. If you are around or work in public education in the modern area, there is more time spent on behavior issues and correction than actual learning in a large amount of classrooms.

That's a parent problem not a public school problem. Unless of course you want to allow public schools the same broad ability to bar children from school that privates schools have.

Christian schools can be very expensive, though.

When I was in 8th grade, I visited a public high school for a day. It was probably ranked in the top 100 public high schools in America.

I think a quarter of the students were on drugs. It was like prison.

I'd rather have been home schooled. No question.

When I was in 8th grade, I visited a public high school for a day. It was probably ranked in the top 100 public high schools in America.

this is bs.

I agree with this, just don't expect the taxpayers to endorse your religious choices by paying for it. and I would say the same for homeschooling.
As I said earlier, our country decided that and education was of national importance, therefore tax money supports it and not a religious agenda.
If you want your religious school to receive tax money then must be willing to be tested and accept all comers. Which you will find, will make it a public school very quick.

When I was in 8th grade, I visited a public high school for

a day. It was probably ranked in the top 100 public high schools in America.

Was Jim Belushi the principal or Morgan Freeman?

HTTP3N0cmVhbTEuZ2lmc291cC5jb20vdmlldy84NjU3NzIvbGVhbi1vbi1tZS1jaGFpbnMtby5naWYlog.gif

That's a parent problem not a public school problem. Unless of course you want to allow public schools the same broad ability to bar children from school that privates schools have.

I agree, but it doesn't change the fact that the learning environment is substandard in today's public schools for the majority of classrooms/grades. I don't see the parent issue getting better anytime soon either.

FYI, the home school parents are also paying the same taxes to support schools that non-home school parents do. In that sense, they have every right to use those facilities as anyone else does.
not really. They have every right to use the facilities but the school, which pays salaries and for equipment, is not receiving full funding for kids that aren't enrolled there.

I agree, but it doesn't change the fact that the learning environment is substandard in today's public schools for the majority of classrooms/grades. I don't see the parent issue getting better anytime soon either.

Well it isn't a fact that the learning environment is substandard.

My kids are doing well and haven't experienced the issues you describe. They are on an academic track that is more advanced and more rigorous than what me, my wife and my siblings ( we are all college grads and 3 of the 6 have advanced degrees) experienced. They will graduate high school with 2 years of calculus, 4 years of lab science and anywhere from 15-21 college credits. I would say among my peer group (co-workers, fellow church members, parents from sports teams, band, after school activities) this is a pretty standard take on the situation.

I'm not saying there aren't bad situations, but it isn't the global issue people make it out to be in these threads.

Reactions: 3boysmom
No. You're B.S.

I didn't even mention the gang fights that happened regularly at the McDonald's next to the school.
I'm not sure what happened at a McDonald's has to do with what happened within the walls of the school. In any event, I think the issue is that the school happened to be in Florida rather than Iowa. It is more of a state issue than a public/private schooling issue.

No. You're B.S.

I didn't even mention the gang fights that happened regularly at the McDonald's next to the school.
yep in 8th grade you were able to nail down the % on drugs and evaluate how things were done in the school. you looked at the demographics, standardized test scores, teachers, facilities, and administration and surmised that homeschooling was a viable option. I buy it.

yep in 8th grade you were able to nail down the % on drugs and evaluate how things were done in the school. you looked at the demographics, standardized test scores, teachers, facilities, and administration and surmised that homeschooling was a viable option. I buy it.

Better to home school than become an alter boy.

1. Justin Jackson was home schooled. Great basketball player for UNC.

By all evidence a really nice guy.

I wondered if he would suffer culture shock when he came from bumfvck Texas to what many North Carolinians used to call "Commie U" - but apparently not.

2. I used to work with a very bright guy who married, moved to Texas and had a littler of kids. Home schooled them. Baffling - except that somewhere along the way he became very religious and a creationist.

Still a nice fellow. Still bright. But with this huge brain fart/blind spot. I'm sure his kids grew up as true believers. Shudder.

3. When I was a grad student in neuroscience, another student in a class on the evolutionary development of the brain was a creationist. He learned the material, but never changed his views.

I hardly knew him and I'm sorry to say that I didn't make any effort to get to know him better. It would have been interesting to discuss how he felt about taking courses that he was convinced were based in total fiction.

I'm not sure what happened at a McDonald's has to do with what happened within the walls of the school. In any event, I think the issue is that the school happened to be in Florida rather than Iowa. It is more of a state issue than a public/private schooling issue.

The school was in a D.C. suburb that is one of the wealthiest
counties in America. The gang fights involved some of the students. The atmosphere at the school was not good.

The school was in a D.C. suburb that is one of the wealthiest
counties in America. The gang fights involved some of the students. The atmosphere at the school was not good.
I think it is folly to extrapolate one data point in the DC metro to make sweeping conclusions as to the state of other public schools in the DC metro, let alone other communities and states.

Last sentence...nailed it! My wife is a teacher and she has taught in public schools and now 1/2 year in a private school. There is simply NO COMPARISON to the level of parenting in her current school, vastly SUPERIOR, than some of the public school situations that she experienced.

Every day for her now is a dream job scenario, as the students are almost perfectly behaved and she can devote 100% of her efforts on...wait for it...teaching. Whereas it was common in a public school situation, even in what are considered "good districts", to have 1-6 very undisciplined students. Too often, 50%-90% of her efforts were directed to managing the ne'er do wells...while the other 15-20 reasonably well behaved kids effectively waited for their teacher to get free from the hassle of constantly correcting the poorly behaved ones.

I support a parents right to home school their children, but I also kind of wish they would send their kids to school with everyone else too. (I guess I am a bit conflicted on that. o_O) I agree that most home school kids are fine academically, but often socially awkward.
Sounds about right. I went from a very tough public school to a great public school and it is so much more fun to teach kids who want to learn and not deal with behaviors constantly.

#1 problem with education today is lack of discipline in the public schools. Too many schools are a free for all.

not really. They have every right to use the facilities but the school, which pays salaries and for equipment, is not receiving full funding for kids that aren't enrolled there.

What is the source of the funding that you are referring to here? While it is true that the school does not receive an appropriation from the state for students that do not attend that school, it is also true that the expenses associated with that student are not present...since the student is, you know, NOT attending there.

Sounds about right. I went from a very tough public school to a great public school and it is so much more fun to teach kids who want to learn and not deal with behaviors constantly.

#1 problem with education today is lack of discipline in the public schools. Too many schools are a free for all.

Totally agree. ^^

Just an additional FYI...one of my sons is also a teacher, 2nd year now. Last year, he had 4 or 5 kids that just about took all of his time and energy and was often exasperated as he felt like he was shortchanging the rest of the class that was there to learn and were reasonably well behaved. It really affected him, thankfully he has a great building principal and other peers that supported him to the extent that they could.

This year, due to luck of the draw, he has no kids that are dragging the class down with their poor behavior and things are going excellent...for both him as the teacher, but more importantly, for the students.

Right or wrong, teachers and administrators are often faced with dealing with kids that are poorly behaved, which I believe is a parental problem, and then do not have the support or buy in of the parent(s) and it is super hard to deal with effectively.

I was able to evaluate that many of the students were degenerates. Anyone without a total agenda like you could surmise that.

I'm sure that school had some good teachers and students because it was highly rated, but it also had lots of bad apples.

You are biased and clueless.

Reactions: Tom Paris
I think it is folly to extrapolate one data point in the DC metro to make sweeping conclusions as to the state of other public schools in the DC metro, let alone other communities and states.

I simply gave my personal experience. Incidentally, I knew two kids that attended that high school and both became drug addicts.

Again, I'm sure there were serious students there and good teachers. I just felt the bad students constituted a significant percentage.

I was able to evaluate that many of the students were degenerates. Anyone without a total agenda like you could surmise that.

I'm sure that school had some good teachers and students because it was highly rated, but it also had lots of bad apples.

You are biased and clueless.
i get it you are religious and quick to judge. It's just amazing you were able to do that in 8th grade.

you're right i don't push my personal views on my students... I don't push my religion in the bulk of my posts like you do, since you brought it up,,,,,,,,,stick to the hookers...

Geez. Stereotype much? That's like saying
Public education has become a religion to the entire nation. The advocates of this system are quick to condemn all critics of their cult and seek to prevent them from seeking choices in how to educate their own children. As a result of this cult all children who attend public schools will eventually succumb to a fate similar to the victims of Sandy Hook, Columbine, etc.

That's why I love HROT: absolutely no gray area allowed. :p:p:p

The parents who sit and complain about schools being a free for all without discipline are the first parents to give school administrators a piece of their minds telling them that their child could not have done anything disruptive when all the evidence points to their child.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT