ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody ever wait three hours to rent a car?

billanole

HR Legend
Mar 5, 2005
Dang, we flew into Denver yesterday for a week of Breckenridge fun. Walked into the offsite rental place and it was packed. I finally figured out the masses were being funneled into one cluster fudge that was under the care of two clerks in a building with spots for eight. A half hour later another “target of wrath” came in to work at another post.
There were only a few random anti-maskers amongst the hordes and a single, classic Karen sighting. Just as my turn came up, she stridently approached my clerk demanding to know where the manager was. My clerk pointed to one of the poor souls working away who never responded to Karen’s screams about “How ridiculous this is!!!”

When we got to our accommodation, our guy told us that this story is being repeated often. Lack of workers, including at our place, is a real problem for the area. Add in the fact that bit is Labor Day weekend and it really impacts availability of services.

On a good note, we stopped for a while and took a stroll on one of the trails at Red Rocks and will be at the Rockies/Braves game today. Anybody with Breckenridge area suggestions?

Last edited:
We rented a 15 passenger van for yesterday's tailgate. I called several times in August to verify they would actually have a van for us and they did. Johnston, Ia isn't a rental car hotspot but they did great.

Reactions: billanole
Has anyone rented a car from sky harbor?? I am starting to become a little concerned as I have a reservation in a few weeks for a week and a half. I know sky harbor rental facilities are a nightmare in the first place. I may drive to Phx.

• Haha
Reactions: peacehawk
I k on now that rental car place well. There was a 30 year old overweight white lady that worked there that was a total bitch to my fiancé. We flew back last fall and had the same lady. Same person and same result.

Dang, we flew into Denver yesterday for a week of Breckinridge fun. Walked into the offsite rental place and it was packed. I finally figured out the masses were being funneled into one cluster fudge that was under the care of two clerks in a building with spots for eight. A half hour later another “target of wrath” came in to work at another post.
There were only a few random anti-maskers amongst the hordes and a single, classic Karen sighting. Just as my turn came up, she stridently approached my clerk demanding to know where the manager was. My clerk pointed to one of the poor souls working away who never responded to Karen’s screams about “How ridiculous this is!!!”

When we got to our accommodation, our guy told us that this story is being repeated often. Lack of workers, including at our place, is a real problem for the area. Add in the fact that bit is Labor Day weekend and it really impacts availability of services.

On a good note, we stopped for a while and took a stroll on one of the trails at Red Rocks and will be at the Rockies/Braves game today. Anybody with Breckenridge area suggestions?
Eric’s!

Has anyone rented a car from sky harbor?? I am starting to become a little concerned as I have a reservation in a few weeks for a week and a half. I know sky harbor rental facilities are a nightmare in the first place. I may drive to Phx.

Yes. I think you should be okay, sky harbor has had a good supply of cars the last two times I have rented, in the past 3 months there. But no guarantees.

I’m lucky to be part of a national car rental agreement through my employer. Rentals are in short supply, I was lucky a couple weeks ago as I got the last rental, that was in Peoria, small market. I looked into renting a small uhaul van on another trip but was able to get a rental.

Reactions: Bank of Hawk
There was an Enterprise rental outlet in the dealership where I used to work. They had a shortage of cars plus a shortage of staff, and the mandates to disinfect each returned vehicle caused additional delays.
Some folks would come to our reception desk and yell at us. We had nothing to do with the rentals and the dealership only rented them the space. It was not pleasant dealing with the Kens and Karen's who got real nasty. They even demanded to speak to the General Manager of the dealership. That didn't end well.

There was an Enterprise rental outlet in the dealership where I used to work. They had a shortage of cars plus a shortage of staff, and the mandates to disinfect each returned vehicle caused additional delays.
Some folks would come to our reception desk and yell at us. We had nothing to do with the rentals and the dealership only rented them the space. It was not pleasant dealing with the Kens and Karen's who got real nasty. They even demanded to speak to the General Manager of the dealership. That didn't end well.
The biggest issue during our time there was lack of employees, including there being only one guy outside working the exit gate. The clerks inside had to walk outside with us and point out the cars.
The looming tsunami was that the lots were relatively light on cars and there was easily a crowd of 150 waiting to get one, with shuttles continuing to bring in more folks. Granted, most cars were gonna have multiple passengers, but the numbers looked bad to me.

Reactions: goldmom
I've been to Sky Harbor and I haven't found it to be any worse than any other major metro area. If nothing else the rental area is bigger and cleaner than a lot of metro areas. I have not been there since the pandemic, so I don't know if the train to and from the airport is open or not. That will make it a much better experience than the bus rides to the rental terminal.

I had a co-worker wait 3+ hours for a car last week. He checked in and was told they were waiting on returns, and then he had to wait on it to be cleaned. Unless there was a spent condom on the floorboard I would have taken it as is rather than wait on them to clean it.

• Haha

GM: Hey, I'm sorry that the rent-a-car place can't help you. It sounds like we should put you in a brand new car of your own today!

I've been to Sky Harbor and I haven't found it to be any worse than any other major metro area. If nothing else the rental area is bigger and cleaner than a lot of metro areas. I have not been there since the pandemic, so I don't know if the train to and from the airport is open or not. That will make it a much better experience than the bus rides to the rental terminal.
the bus ride to the terminal and airport to rental car place is way to long.

The only thing I can contribute to this thread is my recent business trip to Harrisburg PA. Not a single rental car amongst all rental companies. Couldn’t even make a reservation. Uber then works off supply and demand. 6 mile Uber from the airport to the hotel at noon was $85.

The only thing I can contribute to this thread is my recent business trip to Harrisburg PA. Not a single rental car amongst all rental companies. Couldn’t even make a reservation. Uber then works off supply and demand. 6 mile Uber from the airport to the hotel at noon was $85.
Oh, Uber is nuts in some places. I saw a $100 plus ride come through a few weeks ago for another co-worker. It's nuts.

I did a few weeks ago. Was a breeze.

I had a co-worker wait 3+ hours for a car last week. He checked in and was told they were waiting on returns, and then he had to wait on it to be cleaned. Unless there was a spent condom on the floorboard I would have taken it as is rather than wait on them to clean it.
What would you do if there were unused condoms on the floor? Served up on a tee…

What would you do if there were unused condoms on the floor? Served up on a tee…
I'd tell them to charge the HR drone from some regional nursing home company a hefty fee, and tell them to get me a new car.

National car emerald aisle is awesome. Though I can only speak to Denver and DFW locations in the past year. Just go into the parking garage, pick out vehicle, show license to clerk at exit and on my way. Last two times I've flown to DFW, have noticed the long lines at the other rental car agencies.

Last month had a RESERVATION with Avis at Salt Lake City, had to wait 45 minutes for a car. Finally got one (they free upgraded me), went to the spot where the car was. Had my keys and someone else was sitting in the car with keys also. How can two people get the same car? Ended up waiting another hour in line waiting for another vehicle. Ended up with an even bigger upgrade.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT