ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone have a knowledgeable ISU scouting report?

uihawk82

HB All-American
Gold Member
Nov 17, 2021
They just scored to go up 21-3 against NDakota. I know NDakota is not as good as NDSt but maybe they are OK.

Does ISU have a good team or great team? What are their strenghts and weaknesses.

Go hawks, Iowa needs to win this game but it makes me nervous.

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
these stats are telling as ISU didnt run the ball well at all but ND pounded out 167 yards on 40 carries for a real good avg.

On that basis I would say Iowa's run game and defense win the running game battle.

ISU looks to be a passing team again so Iowa's pass rush and keeping ISU in long yardage situations is very important.

ND passing game seemed to do pretty well.

North Dakota

North Dakota Passing

C/ATTYDSAVGTDINT
17/291214.201
17/291214.201

Iowa State

Iowa State Passing

C/ATTYDSAVGTDINT
18/2324110.520
18/2324110.520

North Dakota

North Dakota Rushing

CARYDSAVGTDLONG

Iowa State

Iowa State Rushing

CARYDSAVGTDLONG

Their QB made a lot of nice throws. Looks night and day different from this time last year

If Iowa can’t get pressure he could have success against the Iowa zone

But the ISU defense really struggled to get off the field

I’d like to see #2 get 20-25 carries. I’m tired of the running back by committee. He’s our most trusted playmaker. Let him get into a grove

They have a dink and dunk offense. They run short routes and get the ball out of their QBs hand fast. Stop the run first and you are in business.

Their Defensive line didn’t get any pressure with just three rushers. The UND QB did a ton of damage with his feet. Gotta be able to run the ball.

They have a dink and dunk offense. They run short routes and get the ball out of their QBs hand fast. Stop the run first and you are in business.

Their Defensive line didn’t get any pressure with just three rushers. The UND QB did a ton of damage with his feet. Gotta be able to run the ball.
This

Their QB made a lot of nice throws. Looks night and day different from this time last year

If Iowa can’t get pressure he could have success against the Iowa zone

But the ISU defense really struggled to get off the field

I’d like to see #2 get 20-25 carries. I’m tired of the running back by committee. He’s our most trusted playmaker. Let him get into a grove
It will take more the a couple of runs by KJ to prove that he's any different. He still runs to upright into the hole, runs with high pad level, and goes down to easily. If he gets a big hole he's gone, but thats fairly rare. The outside run he got the corner, which was nice. KJ has been the primary RB before and has his own issues. Use them all, and go with the hot hand on a game by game basis..

Last edited:
these stats are telling as ISU didnt run the ball well at all but ND pounded out 167 yards on 40 carries for a real good avg.

On that basis I would say Iowa's run game and defense win the running game battle.

ISU looks to be a passing team again so Iowa's pass rush and keeping ISU in long yardage situations is very important.

ND passing game seemed to do pretty well.

North Dakota

North Dakota Passing

C/ATTYDSAVGTDINT
17/291214.201
17/291214.201

Iowa State

Iowa State Passing

C/ATTYDSAVGTDINT
18/2324110.520
18/2324110.520

North Dakota

North Dakota Rushing

CARYDSAVGTDLONG

Iowa State

Iowa State Rushing

CARYDSAVGTDLONG
Did sama get hurt? Didn’t see on field 2nd half?

ISU usually looks awful every year in their first game, then they play us like they're the 1985 Bears the next week.

Typically under Campbell we basically suck until October or so.

Big note in this game is Iowa State’s best linebacker was hurt very early in the game and the middle of the field was basically wide open. Opposing QB could run it well and that really threw Iowa State off.

Iowa State is basically down 3 linebackers from an already weak unit so they need to figure out how to defend the middle against the TE’s and RB’s of Iowa or it could be a replay of the Mark Weisman game which still haunts my nightmares.

Big note in this game is Iowa State’s best linebacker was hurt very early in the game and the middle of the field was basically wide open. Opposing QB could run it well and that really threw Iowa State off.

Iowa State is basically down 3 linebackers from an already weak unit so they need to figure out how to defend the middle against the TE’s and RB’s of Iowa or it could be a replay of the Mark Weisman game which still haunts my nightmares.
Yeah the Hawks are going to be able to impose their will if you are not solid upfront. Plus from what I saw ISU's O was struggling as well. I just don't know if this years game will be as close as history has it. The Hawks are talented and hungry.

Yeah the Hawks are going to be able to impose their will if you are not solid upfront. Plus from what I saw ISU's O was struggling as well. I just don't know if this years game will be as close as history has it. The Hawks are talented and hungry.
I kind of agree.

Iowa’s always better than Iowa State on paper but it never matters.

They always play us to a close loss.

But this year after seeing both teams, Iowa just looks like way too much for Iowa State.

And this Iowa State team might be the best under Campbell.

Iowa’s DLine was just monster after monster rotating in.

Even as an Iowa fan I was getting annoyed with how good they looked as a unit.

Can’t imagine being an opponent’s fan playing against them.

Reactions: Bishop_71
ISU has had many opening games where they didn’t look good and then they turned around and gave us all we wanted the very next week. Their defense couldn’t get off the field but they only gave up 3 points so depending on how you want to look at that, you could say it was classic bend-but-don’t break defense.

Also since ND controlled the TOP, ISU didn’t have many offensive possessions or else they would have likely scored a lot more. I watched a bit of their game and they seemed to score easily when I was watching, they just didn’t have the ball much.

From what I saw, Becht and their WRs and the RB Sama all looked good. Like a lot of years, ISU has good skill position players but not as good on the lines. Sort of the opposite of Iowa in some ways.

This year is still TBD but they have been better than us at QB and WR in recent years and we’ve been better than them with our defense and special teams and this year might be more of the same. Obviously I’m hoping Iowa has finally found a pulse on offense but we are one game into the Lester era so hard to draw a conclusion yet other than Iowa can’t be worse than they were the past few years.

Scouting report is throw out the scouting report in week 1. How many times has ISU looked like garbage in week 1? Quite a few. People expecting a historically bad offense the past 3 seasons to magically be better based on one half of football.......well, those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. It's going to be close and it will be low scoring. Bet the under.

Reactions: sober_teacher
ISU has had many opening games where they didn’t look good and then they turned around and gave us all we wanted the very next week. Their defense couldn’t get off the field but they only gave up 3 points so depending on how you want to look at that, you could say it was classic bend-but-don’t break defense.

Also since ND controlled the TOP, ISU didn’t have many offensive possessions or else they would have likely scored a lot more. I watched a bit of their game and they seemed to score easily when I was watching, they just didn’t have the ball much.

From what I saw, Becht and their WRs and the RB Sama all looked good. Like a lot of years, ISU has good skill position players but not as good on the lines. Sort of the opposite of Iowa in some ways.

This year is still TBD but they have been better than us at QB and WR in recent years and we’ve been better than them with our defense and special teams and this year might be more of the same. Obviously I’m hoping Iowa has finally found a pulse on offense but we are one game into the Lester era so hard to draw a conclusion yet other than Iowa can’t be worse than they were the past few years.
Their rb sama only had 6 carries. Supposedly hurt ankle but was sideline all 2nd half but didn’t play. Just speculation I bet he plays next week but who knows how healthy he will be. Which hurts because of isu’s top 3 rbs last year other 2 transferred. The others didn’t look good rest of the game. Isu I agree has a very good wr duo. Becht wont have as much time to sit back next week. If isu is one dimensional make things tougher next week getting them the ball.

Biggest concern I have is the run defense. The line is veteran but didn't look like it yesterday, and liinebacker was already a question mark, and then the best of a small group went out early with an injury that looked really bad. What he was doing on special teams is a question I cannot begin to answer.

Once again, the OL was touted prior to the game as much improved, but didn't look like it. Skill positions are exceptional. DBs are good. Kicking game looked good.

Campbell's teams have always started slowly, and they have consistently beaten themselves against Iowa. I know that statement will rankle some of you, but think back over the past decade. Granted, Iowa's defense deserves much of the credit, but ISU almost never plays a clean game against Iowa in terms of penalties and ball security.

Ironically, Hawks have won 8 of the last 9 games, but ISU has won three of the last five in Kinnick.

At this point, if I had to bet, I'd bet on Iowa and I wouldn't expect the game to go down to the wire.

I’m sure it will be a tough game, but I know this. If Iowa had looked like ISU did yesterday, this board would be melting down.

Maybe their board is?

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Biggest concern I have is the run defense. The line is veteran but didn't look like it yesterday, and liinebacker was already a question mark, and then the best of a small group went out early with an injury that looked really bad. What he was doing on special teams is a question I cannot begin to answer.

Once again, the OL was touted prior to the game as much improved, but didn't look like it. Skill positions are exceptional. DBs are good. Kicking game looked good.

Campbell's teams have always started slowly, and they have consistently beaten themselves against Iowa. I know that statement will rankle some of you, but think back over the past decade. Granted, Iowa's defense deserves much of the credit, but ISU almost never plays a clean game against Iowa in terms of penalties and ball security.

Ironically, Hawks have won 8 of the last 9 games, but ISU has won three of the last five in Kinnick.

At this point, if I had to bet, I'd bet on Iowa and I wouldn't expect the game to go down to the wire.
If Iowa can run the ball successfully, it won’t be close.

Otherwise, all bets are off.

Based on the stats posted above, ISU had 13 rushes as a team and their starting QB threw 23 passes. That's 36 plays. ISU defense couldn't get off the field?

One of the things that hurt Iowa defensively early last season was that Harris needed to knock off some rust, Jackson was stilling getting down our system, and Nwankpa was new as a regular starter. Those "issues" were apparent and impacted the effectiveness of our D early last season.

The "problem" this season is that Iowa State does have WRs who might be able to exploit some of the inexperience of our corners. Also, Iowa's DL often doesn't have its best games against ISU ... for whatever reason. Hopefully the DL is fully-focussed and hungry ... because they could make a huge difference in the game. While Higgins and Jackson are pretty good in coverage - Sama could be a little bit of a mismatch in coverage (at least if things are longer-developing).

All that said ... just as other have indicated ... I expect that Iowa's D won't give up too many points in the game.

The bigger question will concern how Iowa's O fares in the game. Given that Vander Zee and Gill looked okay ... and with the return of Kaleb Brown ... I'm hoping that Iowa's WRs are capable of keeping ISU's safeties honest. Should that be the case ... then I expect that Iowa's RBs and TEs could be enough to turn the tide of the game firmly in Iowa's favor. However, if Iowa's passing game to the WRs is something that fails to execute properly ... then ISU could "cheat" up and focus more on taking away our TEs and RBs. Obviously, if that is the case ... then it will be a low-score all around.

Iowa State look a good team to me ... just not necessarily great. Iowa is a team that obviously has demons it needs to overcome on O ... however, the Hawks look like a good team that could conceivably become great (however, they're not there yet). Hopefully they get "there" ...

Watching the ISU game now and I can say that the box score is rather misleading. ISU's defensive coaches clearly did not care about North Dakota running the ball effectively. Very few defenders in the box for ISU at least until mid-3Q (where I currently am). Lots of 1st and 10 plays where ISU is literally outnumbered by blockers (5OL + 1TE vs 5 box defenders, or 5OL + 1TE + 1FB vs 6 box defenders). Unless one of your defenders does something absolutely heroic, you will give up successful runs when the numbers are like that. So this let UND maintain possession of the ball which resulted in fewer possessions which prevented ISU from blowing the game open. Not sure why ISU chose to defend UND in this manner (maybe practicing up for how they will try defending explosive B12 offenses?). I'd be stunned if they try defending us that way next week. If they do, we'll have a big day on the ground.

Watching the ISU game now and I can say that the box score is rather misleading. ISU's defensive coaches clearly did not care about North Dakota running the ball effectively. Very few defenders in the box for ISU at least until mid-3Q (where I currently am). Lots of 1st and 10 plays where ISU is literally outnumbered by blockers (5OL + 1TE vs 5 box defenders, or 5OL + 1TE + 1FB vs 6 box defenders). Unless one of your defenders does something absolutely heroic, you will give up successful runs when the numbers are like that. So this let UND maintain possession of the ball which resulted in fewer possessions which prevented ISU from blowing the game open. Not sure why ISU chose to defend UND in this manner (maybe practicing up for how they will try defending explosive B12 offenses?). I'd be stunned if they try defending us that way next week. If they do, we'll have a big day on the ground.
ISU’s base D plays with a light box. They run a 3-3-5 with 3 safeties. If one LB is split out a little wider, it probably appears to be a 3-2? I’m pretty sure you saw who they are. Here is an example of their 3-3-5 with a LB wide.
Iowa-State-1.jpg

North Dakota ran for 2100 yards last year. There is no way Iowa State came into this game with a plan to play a light box and risk losing. This is just who they are. Maybe UND fooled them, but I think you saw their defense?

Everyone says Iowa needs to run the ball. What if, Iowa used the pass to setup the run. Sounds crazy but safe short passes on early downs would really spread the stacked boxes and lead to better production. I’m sure KF will stick to zone left or right every 1st down

Reactions: Iron Doc
Everyone says Iowa needs to run the ball. What if, Iowa used the pass to setup the run. Sounds crazy but safe short passes on early downs would really spread the stacked boxes and lead to better production. I’m sure KF will stick to zone left or right every 1st down
I like your idea and us fans have been wanting this for a long time as it helps in recruiting WRs. I just want Lester to use his best coaching experience and mix it up and scratch where it issues.

But if ISU is showing only 5 or 6 in the box then we will probably run a lot to see if we can gash them.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
They just scored to go up 21-3 against NDakota. I know NDakota is not as good as NDSt but maybe they are OK.

Does ISU have a good team or great team? What are their strenghts and weaknesses.

Go hawks, Iowa needs to win this game but it makes me nervous.
Their defense sucked.

Excuses are for Wusses.

Reactions: shudaddy
ISU’s base D plays with a light box. They run a 3-3-5 with 3 safeties. If one LB is split out a little wider, it probably appears to be a 3-2? I’m pretty sure you saw who they are. Here is an example of their 3-3-5 with a LB wide.
Iowa-State-1.jpg

North Dakota ran for 2100 yards last year. There is no way Iowa State came into this game with a plan to play a light box and risk losing. This is just who they are. Maybe UND fooled them, but I think you saw their defense?
Their board has lots of posters wanting to switch to a 4-2-5. If I remember right, Iowa switched to that mid season. I have no idea if they have the personnel or how much they’ve practiced it but it sounds like they are going to struggle to put 3 good LBs out there this year due to injuries.

Their board has lots of posters wanting to switch to a 4-2-5. If I remember right, Iowa switched to that mid season. I have no idea if they have the personnel or how much they’ve practiced it but it sounds like they are going to struggle to put 3 good LBs out there this year due to injuries.
They always want to be like big brother.

Iowa-State-1.jpg

Excellent post, complete with video evidence! My impression was that it was very hard to stop the run when you are outnumbered like this. So, in recent years, I take it that they've been able to do it simply via having really good players? Or have the offenses that they've face been so spread out that they aren't outnumbered?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT